Starbucks to close 5 stores in Hawaii

Starbucks to close 5 stores in Hawaii

There are 86 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 18, 2008, titled Starbucks to close 5 stores in Hawaii. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Starbucks Corp. has targeted five Hawaii stores as part of the 600 total stores it plans to close in the U.S. beginning this month and continuing through March 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Manapua Man

AOL

#72 Oct 4, 2008
Oh no!!!!!!!! I love Starbucks.
sunset

Ewa Beach, HI

#73 Oct 4, 2008
I used to drink Starbucks religiously. I did it for the glamour of it. I felt special walking around with my $5 cup of Starbucks coffee, now I am older and wish I could un do the financial mistakes I made the past 15 years. I think I must have spent over $1,000 on coffee, SO LAME, I probably charged it to my credit card at 33% interest.
Today I am living in the now and paying off all that I owe. I donít need fluffy stuff around me to feel good. I have my health a fantastic family, marriage.
Today I prefer a pot luck over fine dinning on a credit card.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#74 Oct 4, 2008
sunset is correct. It was always justcofee. I neevr was victimized by the hype.
alice

Chicago, IL

#75 Oct 4, 2008
Forgive my spelling, we do not learn writing at UH these days.

We all hate Obama.
Aiea Hi

Aiea, HI

#76 Oct 5, 2008
We lost all the good local coffee shops when Staryucks came to town, anyway. Good riddance.
LEGAL immigrant

United States

#77 Oct 5, 2008
Lemunui wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this post have to do with the issue of Starbuck's closing 5 stores in Hawaii?
Go back and read Alan Cummings post, and maybe you'll 'get it.'
LOL

Honolulu, HI

#81 Oct 6, 2008
lol wrote:
<quoted text>DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE WHY STARBUCKS PUTS SO MANY OF IT'S STORES SO CLOSE TOGETHER? IT HAS WORK FOR MANY YEARS BUT IN THIS SLOWING ECONOMY IS HURTING THEM FINALLY. ONE OF THE REASONS IS YOU! ESPECIALLY YOU HATERS OF STARBUCKS. LOOK AT HOW MUCH TALK IS GENERATED BY OPENING 2-3 STORES SO CLOSE TO EACH? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU MENTION THAT 2 STORES OF ANOTHER COMPANY OPEN SO TOGETHER. IT'S FREE PUBLICLY WORD OF MOUTH. WHEN THEY CLOSED THERE STORES FOR A FEW HOURS, IT WAS NATION WIDE NEWS IN NON-NEGATIVE STORY. THERE BUDGET FOR TV ADVERTISING IS PROBABLY ZERO. You guys are talking about the absolutely the most ridiculous thing ever!
lol wrote:
<quoted text>If you read all the posts you would know it's quote from Pono. I found it amusing that Pono thought having 3 starbucks so close to each other was the most ridiculous ever. I thought it ironic or ridiculous that part of the reason Starbucks does it, is to get free word of mouth advertising. So I quote Pono at the end of the post. I guess I must be right on the mark because the last several comments have abandoned talking about the issue and are concern about my bad spelling (still unproven by Pono) and smoking pakalolo.
It's beneath Pono's dignity to respond to you, so I will. I am lonely and bored.

You had several grammatical and spelling errors. You should've said "it has worked" instead of "it has work". "When was the last time you mention" should've been "... time you mentioned." You misspelled/misused "it's." It's = it is (not possessive). So you should've said "so many of its stores." I also think you meant to say "free publicity" instead of "free publicly." And there there was the "there/their" confusion. There were missing words here and there that made your post difficult to understand.

Alas, I am growing weary of correcting your paper. Please see me after school for help.

And please apologize to Pono for he stated the truth about your writing skills. Perhaps some remedial classes might help.
LOL

Honolulu, HI

#83 Oct 6, 2008
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize to Pono for my poor writing skills. Forgive me. I'm not going to make excuses. Now that I manned up can someone please tell me where this cheaper coffee shop is? I would think there would be a ton places because over half the people commented on how expensive starbucks is. If no one name's a place please shut the f-up about starbucks being sooooooo expensive. Thank you.
To LOL: seeing that your bored maybe you can find a cheaper coffee shop.
What an honorable guy.

Sorry, I am a non-drinker, but have you tried Lion Coffee on Kalani St. in Kalihi? And doesn't Safeway Deli or all the other supermarket delis brew coffee? Any good?
Drone

Pearl City, HI

#85 Oct 15, 2008
Beebs wrote:
This was bound to happen when you place many starbucks really close together. I'm amazed the two at Ala Moana are both still open (next to Sears & in Barnes).
The ones in barnes & nobles are not licensed stores of the company. If you look carefully it says "Proudfully serves Starbucks Coffee."
Earl

Thoreau, NM

#86 Oct 15, 2008
Starbucks who needs them ? I used to drink Lion's coffee all the time ! About three times a week I'd go to Lion's on Merchant Street and have cup of their delicious coffee and a rasin scone !

“andelee.blogspot .com”

Since: Oct 08

Kihei

#88 Oct 19, 2008
is losing 5 SBUX a bad thing.....
das ok

Rodeo, CA

#89 Oct 19, 2008
what eva happened to ...

green riva soda ...

milk shake ...

no need kauphy anyways ...

except fo da ...

Kona and Kalaheo kine coffee ....

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#90 Oct 19, 2008
Starbucks used to be good... until they became arrogant. Starbucks is overpriced and snobby and do not offer value. Even with WiFi. Some McDonalds offer FREE WiFi.
Not da Same

Honolulu, HI

#91 Oct 19, 2008
-Lana- wrote:
Starbucks used to be good... until they became arrogant. Starbucks is overpriced and snobby and do not offer value. Even with WiFi. Some McDonalds offer FREE WiFi.
Yeah, but you can only sit around for so long in a McD's. And you might feel comfortable doing business in McD's, but I'll stick with SBs.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#92 Oct 19, 2008
Obama is our only choice.
Earl

Tularosa, NM

#93 Oct 19, 2008
Don't bother with StarBucks ! StarBucks is mainland ! Drink Lion's coffee
LOL

Honolulu, HI

#94 Oct 19, 2008
Why were lol's posts removed?(approx.#78, 79, and #84. however, they were quoted in my posts -#81 and 83) They were not offensive. The guy was just looking for a cheaper cup of gourmet coffee.

Anyway, there's a new place called Half & Half on East Manoa Rd, next to the Japanese School. It's in the former Shell service station that has Boston North End Pizza. New owners (young, cute girls!). It's a drive-thru, 2 lanes, during the morning rush hour and after that, only one lane. Like I said previously, I'm not a coffee drinker, but here's another alternative to Starbucks. Sorry, I don't know the prices.

“andelee.blogspot .com”

Since: Oct 08

Kihei

#95 Nov 9, 2008
Earl wrote:
Don't bother with StarBucks ! StarBucks is mainland ! Drink Lion's coffee
hahahah, this one is my favorite. I use to be a lead at SBUX (damn them, so corporate) and I use to tell my customers that Minit Stop coffee was the best! LOL!
LEGAL immigrant

United States

#96 Nov 9, 2008
Lemunui wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this post have to do with the issue of Starbuck's closing 5 stores in Hawaii?
Alan Cummings wrote:
I'm sorry for the workers in those stores, but the more money taken out of Howard Schultz's pockets the better. Starbucks is a blight on this nation and world. Seeing a Starbucks in Paris(or any other foreign city) is enough to turn your stomach.

It was a response to Alan Cummings.
Mamasaid

AOL

#97 Nov 10, 2008
I can imagine it is difficult to stay afloat in Hawaii because they sell their own specialty island coffees. Kona coffee is renowned worldwide for its rich, robust flavor and incredible aroma. I order mine from https://konaluna.com because I live on the East Coast - where all we have are Starbucks on every corner. I'd rather make my own Kona coffee at home. If you live in Hawaii, I'm sure you'd rather have that than Starbucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gas prices drop, but could it be more? (Jan '15) Aug 6 Dallas 19
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '15 Musikologist 11
News Hawaii Gov. Ige will let bill extending Oahu's ... Jul '15 Bozobama 5
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
News Maui Superferry Ruling a Blow to Company, a Vic... (Oct '07) Jun '15 Treetop rider 3
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... Jun '15 Treetop rider 2
Rudeness (Mar '14) Jan '15 SoontoRetire 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages