Reading effort is one for the books - News

Principals say it is the biggest draw they have ever had, pulling in crowds of families to public schools in the evenings. Full Story
Rasta Man

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 24, 2008
It is a sad, sad, sad day when educators need to use pizza to bribe parents and children to read. Who are they kidding? They know very well that without the pizza, nobody would show up. It's like rewarding a dog after he does a trick. "Roll over Rover, good boy, here's your biscuit". "Read, Johnny, good boy, here's your slice of pizza."

BTW - I thought the DOE initiated a rule to band junk food from schools?
J Jones

Chesterton, IN

#2 Nov 24, 2008
I love it! I'm a reading teacher in Indiana. I think I'll try to get something like this started in my school!
Rasta Man

Honolulu, HI

#3 Nov 24, 2008
J Jones wrote:
I love it! I'm a reading teacher in Indiana. I think I'll try to get something like this started in my school!
Using food to get kids to do something...Does Pavlov's Dog ring a bell? Kids will see books, and they'll start drooling for pizza. Great way to motivate kids - do this and we'll give you this.

Why not INSPIRE kids and their parents to read on their own??!! Not bribing them with pizza! What is wrong with this world? Keep doing this, and what you'll end up with is literate, obese kids.

What Pizza Hut is doing with their Reading campaigns is a marketing scheme. Get the kids liking Pizza Hut pizzas at a young age, because they will become customers as adults. SAD, SAD, SAD.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#4 Nov 24, 2008
So, with the reduction in PE in schools, lets increase the carbohydrate intake as a way to increase reading. We will eventually get some Large Lumpy kids that need to be bribed to doing anything on their own.
Rasta Man

Honolulu, HI

#5 Nov 24, 2008
KAzman wrote:
So, with the reduction in PE in schools, lets increase the carbohydrate intake as a way to increase reading. We will eventually get some Large Lumpy kids that need to be bribed to doing anything on their own.
You took the words right out of my mouth, KAzman. I've been to one of these in Hawaii. I can tell you first hand that the reason these events draw a large crowd is because the PARENTS want to eat pizza. The parents eat more pizza than the kids! It is ridiculous. When the kids bring home the flier, all the parents see is the word "PIZZA".

The bottom line is: If they did not serve pizza, nobody would come. I want to see them serve a raw vegetable platter (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) with a fat-free yogurt dip, and let's see how many turn out. Nobody would turn out. You serve pizza, and the entire neighborhood shows up. These people are fooling themselves - it's ridiculous.
Book lover

Honolulu, HI

#6 Nov 27, 2008
Don't get stuck on pizza. It's the most convenient way to feed hundreds of people. Imagine the work that went into preparing your Thanksgiving dinner, then multiply that by 50 for just one school. It's impractical.

I can't think of ANY non-profit in the state (except churches) that draw 500+ people a week.

If they instill a love of reading in our keiki, that will increase learning and success in life.

Good for you, Read Aloud America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness (Mar '14) May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Kihei Dating
Find my Match

Kihei Jobs

Kihei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kihei News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kihei

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]