So what did these officers do on Maui?

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

Comment on this story We may never find out what those three were really doing when they said they were in cop class, but it is a sign of the times that we can at least think of numerous possibilities.
Comments
21 - 40 of 46 Comments Last updated Feb 12, 2008
Andy Parx

Kailua, HI

#22 Feb 10, 2008
There is far more here than meets the eye- this case was part and parcel of the corruption and political maneuverings at KPD. Look for Former Star- Bulletin Kaua`i Bureau chief Anthony Sommerís upcoming book detailing the KPD follies this summer if you want the real stories.

What it means is three more for DOCARE which stands for DOnítCARE if you got kicked out of a real PD and is fully out of the control of any civilian review and notorious for rights violations because they answer only to the head of the DLNR...
OmomoME

Kapaa, HI

#23 Feb 10, 2008
alice wrote:
I heard from a DOE agent that Maui PD is so corrupted by big Mexican drug money that when they plan raides, they do not tell Maui PD for fear of leaks getting out. Maui is drowning in drugs.
I didn't realize the (DOE) had special undercover agents. Are they used to uncover some secret drug cartel in our schools? Perhaps you are referring to school teachers and principals having ties to big Mexican drug money.

You're waaaaay off base alice.(DOE) Are you serious? ;-)
alice

Honolulu, HI

#24 Feb 10, 2008
true..police on all islands have been corrupted by big drug money. It is a disgrace.
you need help

Honolulu, HI

#25 Feb 10, 2008
alice wrote:
I heard from a DOE agent that Maui PD is so corrupted by big Mexican drug money that when they plan raides, they do not tell Maui PD for fear of leaks getting out. Maui is drowning in drugs.
you still don't get.DOE=Dept. of education.I think you ment DEA which I last checked ,DEA=Dumbly Educated Alice.Check yourself into KSMH before its too late
alice

Honolulu, HI

#26 Feb 10, 2008
Yes, DEA I meant.
leilei

Kihei, HI

#27 Feb 10, 2008
you need help wrote:
<quoted text>you still don't get.DOE=Dept. of education.I think you ment DEA which I last checked ,DEA=Dumbly Educated Alice.Check yourself into KSMH before its too late
THAT'S A GOOD ONE! IS THERE ANY DEPARTMENT THAT CAN GET MENTAL ALICE OFF THE SIGHTS? SHE IS LIKE A DISEASE ON TOPIX THAT WE CAN'T GET RID OF.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#28 Feb 10, 2008
calm down leilei..I am refreshing in my ability to speak clearly and accurately. I perform a valuable service here.
5575abc

Honolulu, HI

#29 Feb 10, 2008
After the cops were in Makawao rumor has it the they were seen at Cafe 808 in Kula. It was here that they not only ordered and drank DECAFFEINATED coffee but that they also made an unauthorized use of the bathroom. SHAME SHAME SHAME
FedUp

Ewa Beach, HI

#30 Feb 10, 2008
Andy Parx wrote:
There is far more here than meets the eye- this case was part and parcel of the corruption and political maneuverings at KPD. Look for Former Star- Bulletin Kaua`i Bureau chief Anthony Sommerís upcoming book detailing the KPD follies this summer if you want the real stories.
What it means is three more for DOCARE which stands for DOnítCARE if you got kicked out of a real PD and is fully out of the control of any civilian review and notorious for rights violations because they answer only to the head of the DLNR...
For those who don't know, DOCARE is the enforcement division of Dept. of Land and Natural Resources. I guess it is staffed with a lot of former police officers. How many times have you heard about people being busted for violating state laws and regulations about the environment?

DOCARE is headed by Gary Moniz. How did Gary rise to the level of division chief, which is right under the head of the department? Easy - his uncle is Larry Mehau (also a former police officer). Larry has long been believed to be the head of organized crime in Hawaii. He is also a stalwart in the Democratic Party and very close to the likes of Dan Inouye and that ilk.
Morihara the Spy

Honolulu, HI

#31 Feb 10, 2008
While they were at Cafe 808 the took tourist flyers for the Lavender farm, the Para Glide Flights, Pony Express and the ATV tours among others. If they did in fact do this an investigation must take place of these upcountry activities. If the Investigators were really serious in getting to the bottom of the case they would send a complete investigating unit over to thoroughly investigate whether infractions were also committed at these facilities
you need help

Honolulu, HI

#32 Feb 10, 2008
leilei wrote:
<quoted text>THAT'S A GOOD ONE! IS THERE ANY DEPARTMENT THAT CAN GET MENTAL ALICE OFF THE SIGHTS? SHE IS LIKE A DISEASE ON TOPIX THAT WE CAN'T GET RID OF.
yea their called GRA=Get Rid of alice.Formaly known as Roto-Rooter; "and away goes trouble down the drain"do you remember that one?
Alice is a Joke

Ewa Beach, HI

#33 Feb 10, 2008
alice wrote:
calm down leilei..I am refreshing in my ability to speak clearly and accurately. I perform a valuable service here.
Accurate? You get the DOE and DEA mixed up! And this is from someone who claims to be a brilliant UH student with a high IQ.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#34 Feb 10, 2008
I agree.MPD and KPD are very corrupt and inept.

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#35 Feb 10, 2008
hey, boys will be boys! that's what neighbor island trips are for..
i was reading that someone was shooting out some windows in pa'ia.
STOP HIDING NEWS

Honolulu, HI

#36 Feb 10, 2008
Advertiser workers edge toward strike

More than 600 workers at the Honolulu Advertiser are taking a step closer to a strike in their contract dispute with the newspaper.

At their next meeting on Feb. 17, members of the Hawaii Newspaper and Printing Trades Council will vote on whether to give their negotiating committee authority to call a strike against the Gannett Co. Inc. unit.

"I always have hopes that we're going to settle this thing with a reasonable contract," said Wayne Cahill, administrative officer for the Hawaiian Newspaper Guild, one of six unions jointly negotiating with Gannett. "But the company put the final offer on the table, and hasn't made any changes or any move since then."

Gannett's representative, labor attorney John Jaske, presented the final offer for a two-year contract on Jan. 25 with terms the union still disagrees with - an increase in medical premiums and a one-year freeze on wages.

Gannett also threatened to unilaterally implement the proposal, said Cahill, if the union chooses not to accept it within 30 days.

"We think they would be violating federal law if they did, and we would of course take appropriate action," he said.

Lee Webber, president and publisher of the Advertiser, did not return calls for comment by presstime yesterday.

Gannett's offer would require members covered by Kaiser to pay 15 percent of the premium plus the difference between the cost of Kaiser and HMSA. It would also freeze wages from June 2007 to June 2008, offering instead a 1.5 percent bonus. Starting June 2008, Gannett is proposing only a 1 percent pay increase.

The union says this does not keep pace with the more than 5 percent inflation reported in the Advertiser itself.

Also, the union opposes Gannett's proposal changing the payroll from weekly to bi-weekly, which would require a skipped paycheck in order to transition to the new system.

"When our members lose a paycheck, it's disastrous," said Cahill.

Gannett has offered a bridge loan for employees who would need one to tide them over, but it would have to be paid back within a few weeks.

Workers' contracts were originally scheduled to expire last June, but have been extended during negotiations, which started up again in May.

But a flurry of meetings in November and December last year did not result in much progress, having lasted no more than an hour, according to the union.
bumpercrop

United States

#37 Feb 10, 2008
bongo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just where do you trust the cops?
Seattle. The cops work hard up there, they get paid more so they don't have to resort to 'under the counter doings'. The HPD cops who take jobs up there soon come back to 'the friendly shores of paradise'...
alice

Honolulu, HI

#38 Feb 10, 2008
true..HPD is outrageously lazy and ineffective.
Mr T

Kaneohe, HI

#39 Feb 10, 2008
bumpercrop wrote:
This is exactly why I do not trust the police here. Far too many do not do their jobs correctly. Maybe they were busting jaywalkers? That is about all Honolulu cops can do.
Paid leave - an insult to the taxpayers! These cops are an insult to taxpayers.
bumpercrop,
like every job many don't do their jobs CORRECTLY! As for busting jaywalkers, they probably saved TATA's or NANA's life from getting hit!!! Face it! cops are human, it takes one(or three) bad apple to spoil the bunch!!!
STRAIGHT TO DA POINT

Scottsdale, AZ

#40 Feb 10, 2008
They probaby were at some "hidden" Korean Bar and took the bar-maids back to the hotel and lived it up in the room for those 3 days!---"Tony Montana-Style!"
Grover Shetterly

San Pablo, CA

#41 Feb 10, 2008
Two years and seven months after the fact and the three are still on the payroll tells me that the leadership of this Department and the leadership of the County have failed the tax payers.The Officers should have been fired after they filed their claim for expenses and not put on paid leave.The police Chief should be given his walking papers along with the Officers.Why are not the tax payers of Kauai up in arms over this??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... 18 hr J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
•••
•••
Kihei Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kihei Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000