Hawaii joins prostitution crackdown o...

Hawaii joins prostitution crackdown on Craigslist - News

There are 148 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 7, 2008, titled Hawaii joins prostitution crackdown on Craigslist - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A crackdown on prostitution ads on the Craigslist Web site has begun in partnership with attorneys general from 40 states, including Hawaii.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

imagine

Miami, FL

#103 Nov 8, 2008
If they are repeat offenders, then perhaps, while in jail- or out on bail- make them get an education- a certificate, tech. college degree, or AA degree. They do what they do because no one taught them what's right and wrong. Even some sort self esteem classes would be helpful.
Ice Ice Baby

Honolulu, HI

#104 Nov 8, 2008
CMK wrote:
<quoted text>I grew up on Puowaina and spent a lot of time downtown. Prostitution was illegal by 1965, but a lot of vice was tolerated to service the military, merchant marines and the single men from the plantations. Girls could ply their wares at the Orchid Ballroom, Hubba Hubba, Bill Lederer's, Smiths Union Bar, Seaman's Bar, even the pool halls. Consider that the Hawaii Theater was a half block mauka of Hotel Street, the River Street end had the bus station and the Empress (?) Theater, the waterfront is right there. Gambling was illegal but there card games in all of the alleys of Hotel Street and up into Nuuanu. HPD Vice and Metro squads kept the lid on all of it cruising Hotel Street and walking all of the alleys. With all of the vice they saw and interrupted they made very few arrests. In the mid and late sixties you had a lot of gay activity centered around The Glades.
I notice how some of you talk about the past. What about now? Vice such as prostitution and drug trafficking continue to flourish in Chinatown.

Like I mentioned, these scofflaws were driven out of Hotel Street in the 1990's and now operate all over the streets, parks, shopping malls and residential areas in Chinatown. Yet most turn a blind eye to what's going on despite the fact that it is happenning all over Chinatown.

By the way our nation is currently at war. This may have something to do with the surge in illegal activity in Chinatown.
Ice Ice Baby

Honolulu, HI

#108 Nov 8, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Hawaii is pretty muched based on hotels, bars, cafes, and prostitution.
Oh...I forgot the department of education.
So if this is the case then why don't we legalize prostitution and designate an area on Oahu for such seedy activity in order to regulate it and tax it. By doing this we would provide a safer environment for prostitutes and remove the violence that is often associated with this trade. Many of the posters have alluded to this. The State of Hawai'i could sure use the revenue that is generated from doing this in this time of economic crisis.
Lonely

San Diego, CA

#110 Nov 9, 2008
I just looking for someone to cuddle with : (
Ice Ice Baby

Honolulu, HI

#111 Nov 9, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called Keeomoku Street.
You know....near Ala Moana?
I NO HOAH! I NO HOAH!
But if the State designated Keeaumoku Street as the place for prostitutes to legally do business, then there would be outrage by most of the merchants in this area including Walmart and the owners of Ala Moana Shopping Center.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#112 Nov 9, 2008
I do see many teen hookers down there at night. HPD is fine with them as long as no one calls 911 and bothers them.
Okole Maluna

AOL

#113 Nov 9, 2008
Wait a couple of years before you crack down on the wahines!!!!!!!! We need a break every now and then.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#114 Nov 9, 2008
yuck....guys!
Ice Ice Baby

Honolulu, HI

#115 Nov 9, 2008
alice wrote:
I do see many teen hookers down there at night. HPD is fine with them as long as no one calls 911 and bothers them.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were true alice. For the past several decades, Central Intermediate School reputedly has had students who engaged in prostitution. Most who attend Central Middle School live in the Chinatown/Downtown district. If this were to happen anywhere else on Oahu there would be community outrage. But then again we're talking about Chinatown. What a joke!
Bobby

San Antonio, TX

#116 Nov 10, 2008
Illegal business at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. I thought it was illegal to sell loads at the hotels. Somebody needs to setup a sting operation at the waikiki beach marriott. The bell guys and managers are selling loads left and right the upper management don't give a hoot.
John

San Antonio, TX

#117 Nov 10, 2008
Some body need to investigate the illegal activity going on at the waikiki beach marriott. Selling of load is illegal in Hawaii. Mabe setting up a sting operation is what they need.
Terry

San Antonio, TX

#118 Nov 10, 2008
Somebody should report to the hotel manager.
Jackson

San Antonio, TX

#119 Nov 10, 2008
Hotel manager at the Marriott don't give a . You need to report it to the corporate head office of the Marriotth. Make them pay a penalty so they have more control over their employees.
Mike

San Antonio, TX

#121 Nov 10, 2008
It's not the hotel manager's job to control the illegal selling of loads. The taxi cabs should have a dispatcher at the location. By the way I know charleys taxi have that stand and they provide excellent service. I work right next door to them.
Elizabeth

San Antonio, TX

#122 Nov 10, 2008
you need to complain to the city and county of Honolulu so they can take appropriate actions.
Elizabeth

San Antonio, TX

#123 Nov 10, 2008
Not only the Marriott but also other hotels in waikiki. A sting operation is the best way to catch the people selling the loads. I have a friend that works for a hotel and she says that the hotel guys would call the people they want to sell the loads and give them the details so when they come to the hotels they already have the info and act like they have a prearranged pickup. Later outside the hotel they would meet with the hotel guys and give them their cut.
Rod

San Antonio, TX

#124 Nov 10, 2008
Very cleaver way to make money in this hard times.
Kahulani

San Antonio, TX

#125 Nov 10, 2008
I been trying so hard to be a bell person at hotels in waikiki but it's so hard to get that kind of jobs.
Ashley

San Antonio, TX

#126 Nov 10, 2008
Lemmie guess you wanna sell the loads too and make a quick buck. Well then u should go to the waikiki beach marriott. I hear at nights and early morning they have really no supervision and they do whatever they want.
Sam

San Antonio, TX

#127 Nov 10, 2008
I have a cousin that works for charleys, they have the taxi stand at the marriott. A few months ago I stayed at the marriott me and my wife and we wanted a cab to go to north shore and to my surprise they call some independent guy. I wanted to ask the bell guy why they didn't call charley but I didn't bother. Anyway the guy charged 10 dollars more than when I take charleys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Oct '15 Musikologist 4
News Gas prices drop, but could it be more? (Jan '15) Sep '15 District 1 44
News Hawaii Gov. Ige will let bill extending Oahu's ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Bozobama 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages