House gives final OK to Hawaii Superferry bill

Comment on this story Hawaii Superferry's Alakai, seen here with its vehicle-loading barge in the foreground, is tied up in Honolulu Harbor, awaiting a return to interisland service. Full Story
Oh jeez

Wailuku, HI

#147 Nov 1, 2007
rpk, you dimwit. Why are you even responding to ‘neutral?’ I have been reading his/her posts and it's unlikely he/she is even older than 16. I mean, how often have you heard an adult say "my daddy is bigger than your daddy?"
Even if ‘neutral’ does indeed live in Hawaii Loa, or even Long Beach for that matter, this person is extraordinarily insecure.
dumpnoco2

Honolulu, HI

#148 Nov 2, 2007
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the bill? Go read it and you will understand what I said. And if you think there was no conspiracy between the DOT and SF, you are naive. Why did fukunaga and bennett during their testimony assert the attorney-client privilege when queried about the granting of the exemption? Did they have something to hide? If everything was pono, there is not need to hide.
Also, when the legislature in 2004 or 2005 recommended that the SF be given priority processing in their operating permit, it did not contemplate that that HRS 343 be ignored. It merely meant that the government should assist in the process because the concept of the SF was deemed beneficial to the people of Hawaii. The legislature who enacts the laws will surely not advocate that the law be ignored.
Well said!! Mahalo nui loa for sharing!
da man

Honolulu, HI

#149 Nov 2, 2007
Oh jeez wrote:
rpk, you dimwit. Why are you even responding to ‘neutral?’ I have been reading his/her posts and it's unlikely he/she is even older than 16. I mean, how often have you heard an adult say "my daddy is bigger than your daddy?"
Even if ‘neutral’ does indeed live in Hawaii Loa, or even Long Beach for that matter, this person is extraordinarily insecure.
Agreed.
Oh jeez

Wailuku, HI

#152 Nov 2, 2007
Superferry Supporter -- Kudos! I have a cousin who has been living in Kapa’a since the late 70's and he is very active and vocal in community affairs and a passionate surfer. But when I asked him last week about the SF protesters his response was:

1) It's a small minority making big noise and the media makes money by getting everyone all lathered up. You can include this blog. Surprised?

2) A lot of businesses and private residents are keeping quiet because it's a small island and they don't want trouble even if the SF means more business for them. It's easier to get your tires slashed if you live on the island where the protesters live.

3) Continuing on point 2, he said a lot of the protesters (surfers) are punks who just want an excuse to cause trouble because not a lot happens on Kauai and it makes them feel elevated.
Kawehi

Honolulu, HI

#153 Nov 2, 2007
Hillslander Wrote:

"I am responding to a couple of different people commenting on how neigbor islanders are being selfish. There are a good number of families that stick a little closer to tradition in the rural areas, of this island at least, that would be profoundly affected if the resources they survive mostly off of were jeopardized."

Great point and style.

On a side note:
Please, to all who ride the ferry, wash your vehicles' tire tread and wheel wells, and check your radiator grill for bees (and remove them if found as they may be carrying a Varroa Mite which is currently only found on O'ahu).

Pre-screening our own vehicles would help out against the spread of certain species. Many of the Dept. of Ag. and HSF personnel will be very busy with other tasks and screening, and they can only do a check as comprehensive as time will afford.

This will help keep the preservation/conservation areas as 'pure' as we can.
Duke

Honolulu, HI

#154 Nov 2, 2007
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the bill? Go read it and you will understand what I said. And if you think there was no conspiracy between the DOT and SF, you are naive. Why did fukunaga and bennett during their testimony assert the attorney-client privilege when queried about the granting of the exemption? Did they have something to hide? If everything was pono, there is not need to hide.
Also, when the legislature in 2004 or 2005 recommended that the SF be given priority processing in their operating permit, it did not contemplate that that HRS 343 be ignored. It merely meant that the government should assist in the process because the concept of the SF was deemed beneficial to the people of Hawaii. The legislature who enacts the laws will surely not advocate that the law be ignored.
Well I've read the bill and the bill has nothing to do with testimony you quorte.
When you talk about conspiracy, you fail to mention that the lower courts including the judge on Maui seemed to share the AG's opinion that 343 didn't require an EAS. So you must be concluding that the judiciary was in on the conspiracy but then backed out. I repeat what I said before - you are really looking hard to find what you WANT, NOT WHAT IS.
If the legislature didn't want the laws circumvented why did it change law the circumvent the other law? Who's naive?
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#155 Nov 2, 2007
hawaiian 808 wrote:
<quoted text>shutup
idiot or child??? either way, save your playground vocab for when you really need it... your future may depend on it.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#156 Nov 2, 2007
Kauai Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I noticed was tinkin Kahu and Kupuna at the same time. My old Hawaiian 101 professor at UH wud kill me:) Should have the little line over the U for plural too yeah. Unlike ProSFers I always admit wen was wrong!
right on the kaha ko to make it plural... the point of it really wasnt to correct you but in all due respect and aloha to kupuna kanahele from niihau... to make that kind of correction when not in lesson would to me, be a lack of aloha... it was jus' that i was making a point...

btw, i think most prosfers are more willing to look at a compromise rather than taking sides... at least the posters that i pay any attention too...
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#157 Nov 2, 2007
Hoku wrote:
<quoted text>
For some reason, all of those posts are under the "Marching Band" forum--go figure.
I agree--Stick to the Point's comments were some of the best yet.
agreed!
KAMANAO BLOODLINE

Anahola, HI

#158 Nov 2, 2007
To all the neighbor island people, who plan on coming to oahu to watch Hawaii play Boise st., please bring your aloha, leave your shelfishness on your island. Also when you come over here for shop for christmas and watch concerts leave all your marijuana and drugs on your own islands, we get enough over here already. We no like you guys come here and rape our kids and steal our rocks and vandalize our neighborhoods. HAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Thats what some of you protestors from the neighbor islands sound like. You can go ahead and say, "well we no need do that, it is already on your island", well that may be true, but we no need anymore, and stop acting like its not on your island too. You kauai protestors act like you guys so innocent and stuff. Didnt your island just get raided for like one of the states biggest marijuana bust, and didnt maui have a cop who was apart of a big drug bust too. All our islands have our fair share of wrong doers, but stop assuming that everyone on oahu is bad, and that when we come there all we going do is bad stuff. I want to use the ferry for its purpose, which is to be able to travel interisland with my own car, so I no need rent and have to deal with the hassle of all the car seats and luggage and all the waiting in line and so on and so forth. So pleas dont assume that everyone on Oahu has bad intentions, cause when you assume, you make a ass out of u and me. Alohas.
northshore

Aiea, HI

#159 Nov 2, 2007
I have traveled to the outer islands many times to see family and friends alike, I always rent a car stay for several days go shopping and dine out at restaurants tip the waiters, tip the bellmen at the hotel, tip the valet, tip the bartender, I sometimes leave a tip for the maids at the hotel, what is the problem. Each year I go to the Grand Slam as a volunteer, pay for my hotel and meals tip the same people, I do the same at the Mercedes Championship on Maui, each time I rent a car, so why is it that my car clogs the roads but the rental cars don't maybe I'm a moron cause I don't understand that. It seems that everywhere I go when visiting the outer Islands those that I meet are always nice friendly people, but if I want to bring my car then I am some kind of unwanted ecological disaster pilaging the earth. The people that I tip when I am over on Kauai and Maui and Big Island seem to be very appreciative of recieving these gifts, but I don't tip the surfers and the environmentalists so that is why I am not welcome I guess, the only ones not benefiting from the super ferry air the rental car companies and the airlines, every thing else remains the same.

Since: Oct 07

AOL

#167 Nov 3, 2007
Found on the "Save Kahului Harbor" website, this little tidbit about Neil Abercrombie and what he might have done to help HSF out. Wish somebody in the know would verify/deny this. Marcus Oshiro: is this true? Could a little "memorandum of understanding" sent to him at the last minute have been why he was so "aggressive" in questioning the Gov.?

"Dear Activist friends,

I was interviewed today for the khon channel 2 news. If you happen to watch TV, see the segment at 5pm and 6pm, I'm told. Additionally, I would like to make publicly known an important piece of information that was forwarded to some key legislators last week based on first-hand info from a Honolulu friend of the cause who found our website.

She told me Congressman Neil Abercrombie directly told her he had a deal for Superferry to do military contracts in California while an EIS would be undertaken in Hawaii, thereby providing no exposureto Hawaii neighbor islands during the study. This explains Mr. Garibaldi's senate testimony off-hand comment mid week when he casually revealed Superferry would probably sail off to California. Congressman Abercrombie's deal was brought to my attention mid last week, and passed onward to Representative Marcus Oshiro, D-39th (Wahiawa) by a third party. Oshiro questioned Governor Lingle, but was cut off by Chairman Souki before he could publicly ask about this deal to the Governor. I also emailed our Kaua'i legislators this as well.

Also, I offered in committee testimony that the Federal Loan Guarantees could be arranged to give Superferry deferment of loans due and allow the ship to remain idle here with little financial duress while an EIS was done.

In either case, the Superferry could be lawfully checked out with an EIS without causing Hawaii irreparable harm. It is in the media that the Incidental Take Permit for whales and the protections that process brings forth would likely take over a year to activate. So even with the Senate's good intention for this amendment, it does not protect the whales in the meantime.

Most of us feel the state law is inherrently unconstitutional, we peacefully hold for the Supreme Court to step in or Maui Judge Cardoza to uphold his Injunction in the face of an unconstitutional law. If all else fails there are many, many people who will take to the harbors to vote their conscience with their bodies. Prudence on all parties would still say Superferry wait. This is not a small vocal minority as Superferry has spun, and that will become evident if this corrupt project is pushed further forward ahead of an EIS. We would be in alignment with our hearts like the man in front of the tank in Tianamen Square.

We are in pule to hope it doesn't come to that, and that the highest good for all Hawaii for generations to come is observed.

With true aloha,

John Tyler
Kaua'i based
boycottsuperferry.org "
Harley

Kapaa, HI

#168 Nov 3, 2007
maui gal wrote:
Found on the "Save Kahului Harbor" website, this little tidbit about Neil Abercrombie and what he might have done to help HSF out. Wish somebody in the know would verify/deny this. Marcus Oshiro: is this true? Could a little "memorandum of understanding" sent to him at the last minute have been why he was so "aggressive" in questioning the Gov.?
"Dear Activist friends,
I was interviewed today for the khon channel 2 news. If you happen to watch TV, see the segment at 5pm and 6pm, I'm told. Additionally, I would like to make publicly known an important piece of information that was forwarded to some key legislators last week based on first-hand info from a Honolulu friend of the cause who found our website.
She told me Congressman Neil Abercrombie directly told her he had a deal for Superferry to do military contracts in California while an EIS would be undertaken in Hawaii, thereby providing no exposureto Hawaii neighbor islands during the study. This explains Mr. Garibaldi's senate testimony off-hand comment mid week when he casually revealed Superferry would probably sail off to California. Congressman Abercrombie's deal was brought to my attention mid last week, and passed onward to Representative Marcus Oshiro, D-39th (Wahiawa) by a third party. Oshiro questioned Governor Lingle, but was cut off by Chairman Souki before he could publicly ask about this deal to the Governor. I also emailed our Kaua'i legislators this as well.
Also, I offered in committee testimony that the Federal Loan Guarantees could be arranged to give Superferry deferment of loans due and allow the ship to remain idle here with little financial duress while an EIS was done.
In either case, the Superferry could be lawfully checked out with an EIS without causing Hawaii irreparable harm. It is in the media that the Incidental Take Permit for whales and the protections that process brings forth would likely take over a year to activate. So even with the Senate's good intention for this amendment, it does not protect the whales in the meantime.
Most of us feel the state law is inherrently unconstitutional, we peacefully hold for the Supreme Court to step in or Maui Judge Cardoza to uphold his Injunction in the face of an unconstitutional law. If all else fails there are many, many people who will take to the harbors to vote their conscience with their bodies. Prudence on all parties would still say Superferry wait. This is not a small vocal minority as Superferry has spun, and that will become evident if this corrupt project is pushed further forward ahead of an EIS. We would be in alignment with our hearts like the man in front of the tank in Tianamen Square.
We are in pule to hope it doesn't come to that, and that the highest good for all Hawaii for generations to come is observed.
With true aloha,
John Tyler
Kaua'i based
boycottsuperferry.org "
WELL WELL WELL, How interesting is this!

rpk

“riiiiight!!”

Since: Sep 07

Ewa Beach, HI

#169 Nov 5, 2007
Oh jeez wrote:
i agree.... thats sort of why i stopped..lol! but ive noticed others decided to hop into their bumper cars and have a go at him/her.. funny..
Paniola

Honolulu, HI

#170 Nov 6, 2007
Mahalo haupia and Pachyderm.

This power sounds like the Big Island rancher. We all now know who wears the black pants in this family.

(From another forum)
Lots of BS Blecccch

United States

#171 Nov 6, 2007
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh who gives a cr**?!?! Politics, by MY definition, means CORRUPT. Hands down. Across the state, across the country and around the world.

Why, if any of this conspiracy "shi*" is true, is ANYONE freaking surprised?
Melancholy

United States

#172 Nov 6, 2007
Kauai Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be the end of the world because I totally agree with Melancholy on something! See we are coming together just like Larry Lingle wanted...
Woohoo! Really, we only disagree on a few things.. it's just not coming out "pretty" on these forums.
Melancholy

United States

#173 Nov 6, 2007
Harley wrote:
<quoted text>WELL WELL WELL, How interesting is this!
It isn't. Too long to even bother reading.
ConcernedOnMaui

Honolulu, HI

#174 Nov 6, 2007
Melancholy wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't. Too long to even bother reading.
Of course. Ignorance is bliss. Stay Ignorant, Mel! Don't LEARN anything, by all means! We all know you have the finest education the public schools of Hawaii can provide. If you graduated.
Melancholy

United States

#175 Nov 6, 2007
ConcernedOnMaui wrote:
<quoted text>Of course. Ignorance is bliss. Stay Ignorant, Mel! Don't LEARN anything, by all means! We all know you have the finest education the public schools of Hawaii can provide. If you graduated.
Oh you can bet your sweet a** I graduated and went on to a higher education.

Just posting alot of conspiracy cr*p and it's not worth reading. It does not make people ignorant,

You are not talking to your child! "Stay ignorant.." What a crock.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness (Mar '14) May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Kihei Dating
Find my Match

Kihei Jobs

Kihei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kihei News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kihei

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]