House gives final OK to Hawaii Superf...

House gives final OK to Hawaii Superferry bill

There are 141 comments on the The Honolulu Advertiser story from Nov 1, 2007, titled House gives final OK to Hawaii Superferry bill. In it, The Honolulu Advertiser reports that:

Comment on this story Hawaii Superferry's Alakai, seen here with its vehicle-loading barge in the foreground, is tied up in Honolulu Harbor, awaiting a return to interisland service.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Honolulu Advertiser.

edumacation

Honolulu, HI

#22 Nov 1, 2007
Lets Vote wrote:
<quoted text>
What the majority wants??? OK. Let's take a vote. All islands that vote for the ferry get it. Islands voting no, don't. Fair?
And while we're at it, let's vote on getting out of Iraq. And universal health care. And repealing tax cuts for the rich.
Majority rules? Sure.
Perhaps you didn't see the statistics on the polls. Even Maui and Kauai residents in majority supported the Superferry. Albeit the polls were close. I believe it was somewhere around 43% against and 52% for the Superferry with a undecided of 5%.

I don't approve of the war in Iraq but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear much protest in the beginning when the Twin Towers went down. Didn't Congress unanimously agree on declaring war? As far as Universal Health, that is a mainland issue has Hawaii has the best healthcare coverage in the Nation. Tax cuts for the rich? I agree with you there, maybe you should get lower income people to go out there and vote.

But the topic here is the Superferry.
Kira Girl

Pearl City, HI

#25 Nov 1, 2007
hawaiian wrote:
it's strange... all the previous comments have been removed somehow...
Anybody know what happened to the previous posts??

I especially liked the comments by one poster - sorry I already forgot his/her call name. Poster had all positive suggestions and I wish everyone would follow his/her style.
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#27 Nov 1, 2007
Supreme Court here we come. More shameful than the New Orleans hurricane travesty by their "governor", Lingle should be run out of this state on a rail.

Makes me literally sick to my stomach, what these corrupt politicians have done.

Goodbye Hawaii, you were beautiful and special, but the scum has come and sold you to the highest bidder.

aloha oi
Robert Siefman

Honolulu, HI

#28 Nov 1, 2007
The vast majority of people in Hawaii live in Oahu by far.It's not fair that they should trump the nieghbor Islands because of sheer numbers.This should not be Oahu imposing what they want on us,but it seem to be.I hope the Superferry fails miserably and all those who voted for it are held accountable for once.
Palenapa Kanahele

Koloa, HI

#29 Nov 1, 2007
A true hawaiian wrote:
It is truly a "sad day" for hawaii when you see comments in the like posted by "sad day" and "Kapaa". It is very sad that some of our neighbors have no aloha in their hearts and cannot see past their own insecurities. We are all a part of these islands no matter which island you reside on. Some of us have roots that go back far, some don't, and it should not matter. Many of us have Ohana spread out on the islands and would like an alternative way to travel and see them (vice versa). As mentioned earlier we all need to remain pono with each other and show the world that we are truly a place that cares about Ohana and the spirit of aloha.
‘Imua Hawaii!”
And as mentioned earlier, aloha works both ways. If you walk into someones house with your shoes on and they ask you to clean it (or better yet, leave it out), you don't disrespect them by ignoring them and walking in any way. You get what you give. You show disrespect when entering another ahupua'a, then expect them to show aloha? Don't work that way.
Common Sense

Maunaloa, HI

#30 Nov 1, 2007
Does anyone know the specifics on what the 30 year old environmental law is? What has it protected our environment from? What has it not?
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#31 Nov 1, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
Supreme Court here we come. More shameful than the New Orleans hurricane travesty by their "governor", Lingle should be run out of this state on a rail.
Makes me literally sick to my stomach, what these corrupt politicians have done.
Goodbye Hawaii, you were beautiful and special, but the scum has come and sold you to the highest bidder.
aloha oi
what would have been corrupt is if the legislation voted by way of the minority, in our current democracy it's the law of the land that the majority prevails... look at the stats in the paper and explain to me how is it in your opinion that corruption is suggested by the majority?

corruption does not translate to "anti-what i want." i highly doubt it's the corruption that sickens you but the inability to grasp the result of due process.

sf sails >>> protestors file lawsuit >>> judge (who interperets law) rules >>> legislation creates law... in all fairness or not, every vantage point has been ventured on both sides with the outcome like all others in ones favor. it's the american way and unlike believed corruption.

Since: Sep 07

Honolulu, HI

#32 Nov 1, 2007
kalapaki kid wrote:
superferry swan song:
waxing my surfboard, calling my friends, with the superferry running the fun never ends
blocking the dock rocking the rock
garibaldi and lingle have to be stopped
don't ride this boat unless you wanna gloat about being stopped by surfers, boogie boarders too
you wouldn't like this happening to you
people all huhu calling you names
this is what happens when our leaders play games stay home my friends or come on the plane
we stopped the boat once we'll stop it again
...and I hope you go directly to jail or get deported to where ever you came from. Aloha, means goodbye.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#33 Nov 1, 2007
Robert Siefman wrote:
The vast majority of people in Hawaii live in Oahu by far.It's not fair that they should trump the nieghbor Islands because of sheer numbers.This should not be Oahu imposing what they want on us,but it seem to be.I hope the Superferry fails miserably and all those who voted for it are held accountable for once.
i agree that the majority lives on oahu but in the matter of this bill voters (house and senate) from the respective islands voted both in favor and in oppostion. the majority of the legislation has the accountability and not the population which your slanted remark suggests.

Since: Oct 07

Pearl City

#34 Nov 1, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
aloha oi
lol you make me laugh.
Palenapa Kanahele

Koloa, HI

#35 Nov 1, 2007
edumacation wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you didn't see the statistics on the polls. Even Maui and Kauai residents in majority supported the Superferry. Albeit the polls were close. I believe it was somewhere around 43% against and 52% for the Superferry with a undecided of 5%.
I don't approve of the war in Iraq but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear much protest in the beginning when the Twin Towers went down. Didn't Congress unanimously agree on declaring war? As far as Universal Health, that is a mainland issue has Hawaii has the best healthcare coverage in the Nation. Tax cuts for the rich? I agree with you there, maybe you should get lower income people to go out there and vote.
But the topic here is the Superferry.
I just got a question. What does the twin towers incident have to do with the war with Iraq? Just curious.
Oahu Man

Honolulu, HI

#36 Nov 1, 2007
Sad day for Hawai'i, eh? Can always move from the islands. Yeah, go, we don't need naysayers of your types, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GET THE HECK OUT OF THE ISLANDS, WE. DON'T. NEED. YOU. GO! GO! GO! LEAVE!
oil change

Honolulu, HI

#39 Nov 1, 2007
My car needs an oil change today. I'm going to pour the used oil into the ocean. Who cares about the enviroment?
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#40 Nov 1, 2007
Palenapa Kanahele wrote:
<quoted text>
And as mentioned earlier, aloha works both ways. If you walk into someones house with your shoes on and they ask you to clean it (or better yet, leave it out), you don't disrespect them by ignoring them and walking in any way. You get what you give. You show disrespect when entering another ahupua'a, then expect them to show aloha? Don't work that way.
or aloha could be interpreted using your example, as if someone walks into my house with their slippers we would allow it as they are guests of my house... there's no guidelines in the way of aloha and what you see as aloha may be seen differently by someone else but it does not make that person wrong or without aloha, or does it?

this much of aloha i know is true is that these islands are ours to live, laugh, work and play and not just yours or mine. without this fundamental stepping stone all other forms of the fading spirit is not essential.
Westsideray in Waianae

United States

#42 Nov 1, 2007
Sierra Club, you need to go after the ones who really harrases the Whales. Those Whale Harass Tour Boats that always search for Whales with their boat load of Whale Watch Tourist. They always hit Whales, go ask the tourist getting off the boats. Send your under cover detective's on a tour and see for yourself. Go make the news with with your camera and a good story. Maybe people will start to listen to you instead of your Super Ferry complaints.

I give up on your Super Ferry cry baby whining.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#43 Nov 1, 2007
Palenapa Kanahele wrote:
<quoted text>
I just got a question. What does the twin towers incident have to do with the war with Iraq? Just curious.
didnt 9/11 spark the war in iraq? war on terrorism? interestingly their differences are the same here with oahu people, so mentioned by many neighbor island posters misconceptions that oahu people are going to come and take over... like how all of iraq are terrorists yet many have fled the country and still many more innocents die... not all of iraq are terrorists like not all of oahu or other islands for that matter have destruction and carelessness as their inter-island agenda via the sf.

realism people!
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#44 Nov 1, 2007
Roots wrote:
<quoted text>I am 55 years old, born and raised on Oahu, in the early years, I recall the neighbor island people flooding
the employment industry on Oahu cause they absolutely had no work available becaus of the lack of progress and the Oahuan's was not to applaudable
to that. But respect, honor, and humbleness was diligent to all who came "Aloha Spirit". Years pass-on, neighbor island people moves back to their homelands, retires with a good family and pension and
the mockery is inbedded within the Oahuan's. Till
today, I humbly ask, Hey, Brah, where you from? oh, Big Lsland, oh, Maui, oh, Kauai, So why is the Oahuan's supporting the superferry,? Put the puzzle together! Many Oahuan's are dressed or disguised in
halloween costumes, but are actually neighbor island
people. Look in the obituaries, Died in Honolulu, originally from, hilo, Kauai, Kona, Maui and etc.
I REST MY CASE, YOURE HONOR!
point taken!
Against HSF

Honolulu, HI

#45 Nov 1, 2007
Marc wrote:
BIG SURPRISE. We knew this would be the outcome. We just had to wait for them to go through the proper motions/process. Typical politics, my friend. Shameful.
Yes, we all knew what the outcome was going to be, and we all knew that they needed to go through the proper motions and process. For all of you who lives on Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and The Big Island, now you know whoever is your sentor, state rep. who voted to keep the HSF, just remember the next election, vote the new guy in and keep the old out!!
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#46 Nov 1, 2007
Common Sense wrote:
Does anyone know the specifics on what the 30 year old environmental law is? What has it protected our environment from? What has it not?
i know that it has not protected hawaii as a whole from invasive species or illegal plants and animals. an act on paper or a assessment or statement sheds no guarantees on any one issue over the other... it crazy to think that it would!
edumacation

Honolulu, HI

#48 Nov 1, 2007
Palenapa Kanahele wrote:
<quoted text>
The sentiment from that incident carried over into the decision of going to war in Iraq. If that Terrorist Act never happened then I believe Congress wouldn't have okayed the war with Iraq. But hey, what do I know. I'm just a local kid born and raised in the islands that doesn't know a thing about current events.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukme 1
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3

Kihei Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages