House gives final OK to Hawaii Superferry bill

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

Comment on this story Hawaii Superferry's Alakai, seen here with its vehicle-loading barge in the foreground, is tied up in Honolulu Harbor, awaiting a return to interisland service.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of141
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kauai Ohana

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

This is a sad day for Hawaii. The Supreme Court undermined, 30 years of environmental law thrown out the window and Neighbor Island legitimate concerns ignored and ridiculed. It is not about being against the Superferry it is about right process and respect for community and the aina.
A true hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

It is truly a "sad day" for hawaii when you see comments in the like posted by "sad day" and "Kapaa". It is very sad that some of our neighbors have no aloha in their hearts and cannot see past their own insecurities. We are all a part of these islands no matter which island you reside on. Some of us have roots that go back far, some don't, and it should not matter. Many of us have Ohana spread out on the islands and would like an alternative way to travel and see them (vice versa). As mentioned earlier we all need to remain pono with each other and show the world that we are truly a place that cares about Ohana and the spirit of aloha.

‘Imua Hawaii!”
legislator

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

well done for the power of legislator and executive...The ferry are sailing again.Mahalo
edumacation

Holualoa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

It's a sad day for the supposed environmentalist. They finally have learned that they are not the majority as much as they would like to think. I understand and respect their point of view to a degree but, it is what the majority wants that counts. I for one look forward to travelling on the Superferry with my friends and have a great time with all my other friends on Maui.

Now with Go! possibly leaving you know Hawaiian and Aloha will jack up their rates again. Back will be the days when a 5 day trip to Vegas will be cheaper than a weekend getaway on a neighbor island.
Marc

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

BIG SURPRISE. We knew this would be the outcome. We just had to wait for them to go through the proper motions/process. Typical politics, my friend. Shameful.
Spanky

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

WoooWoooo!! Can't wait for the next act... this circus is not over yet.
Makena

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Big government. Special interest. Rich and powerful. Backroom deals. Political favors. Disregard for the courts.

Congratulations, Hawaii.
Lets Vote

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

edumacation wrote:
It's a sad day for the supposed environmentalist. They finally have learned that they are not the majority as much as they would like to think. I understand and respect their point of view to a degree but, it is what the majority wants that counts. I for one look forward to travelling on the Superferry with my friends and have a great time with all my other friends on Maui.
Now with Go! possibly leaving you know Hawaiian and Aloha will jack up their rates again. Back will be the days when a 5 day trip to Vegas will be cheaper than a weekend getaway on a neighbor island.
What the majority wants??? OK. Let's take a vote. All islands that vote for the ferry get it. Islands voting no, don't. Fair?

And while we're at it, let's vote on getting out of Iraq. And universal health care. And repealing tax cuts for the rich.

Majority rules? Sure.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

it's strange... all the previous comments have been removed somehow...

Since: Sep 07

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Marc wrote:
BIG SURPRISE. We knew this would be the outcome. We just had to wait for them to go through the proper motions/process. Typical politics, my friend. Shameful.
No, the big surprise was that a fringe group of environmentalists was able to derail a done deal. This is a correction of that travesty.

I'd be willing to bet the same people against the ferry are the same people who think that a certain swimmer who was attacked by a tiger shark was actually bitten by a turtle, and that there is a triple murder in Kihei last week that is being covered up by the police. What I am trying to say is there is a group of people who let their emotions and what their neighbors are saying rule them instead of thinking for themselves.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

edumacation wrote:
here... here!

jus' one possible benefit of having the ferry to provide the alternative to aleviate the inevitible and confirmed rate increases by hawaiian.
local guy

Kalaheo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

finally the majority prevails! way to go super ferry! now we can all bring our ohana and friends, convoy to the neighbor islands and laugh at these sad protestors!!!
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

this btw, is a great day. our democracy has prevailed as it should in the u.s.

Since: Sep 07

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Makena wrote:
Big government. Special interest. Rich and powerful. Backroom deals. Political favors. Disregard for the courts.
Congratulations, Hawaii.
Big government: Activist Maui judges who exceed their mandate.
Special interests: Sierra club, other plantiffs
Rich and powerful: Neighbor island Caucasians and entrenched big business owners protecting their market share and their view
Backroom deals: Extortion of the superferry
Disregard for the courts: Environmentalists bringing multiple actions multiple times until they get the outcome they want.
Imua

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Opponents to the SF are still saying, "its not about being against the SF, its about the process". Well, this is a democractic country - with that said, Majority Wins. On top of that, the Judicial Branch was not undermined. Did you all not attend your Civics Class? or sleep through it? The courts only INTERPRET the laws. The legislative branch MAKES the laws. If a law is flawed (as in the case of the SF), it must be fixed. Did you Anti SF people think about the "what if" scenerio that had the SF be held to do an EA/EIS prior to operating, that a group of people then make a court case of YB, Matson, Verizon, etc.- halting services - to also do an EA/EIS (regardless of the "grandfather clause")? Think about it, no toilet paper, rice, spam, etc.
hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

End of empire wrote:
<quoted text>
Big government: Activist Maui judges who exceed their mandate.
Special interests: Sierra club, other plantiffs
Rich and powerful: Neighbor island Caucasians and entrenched big business owners protecting their market share and their view
Backroom deals: Extortion of the superferry
Disregard for the courts: Environmentalists bringing multiple actions multiple times until they get the outcome they want.
interesting and agreeable views...
No Name Necessary

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Imua wrote:
Opponents to the SF are still saying, "its not about being against the SF, its about the process". Well, this is a democractic country - with that said, Majority Wins. On top of that, the Judicial Branch was not undermined. Did you all not attend your Civics Class? or sleep through it? The courts only INTERPRET the laws. The legislative branch MAKES the laws. If a law is flawed (as in the case of the SF), it must be fixed. Did you Anti SF people think about the "what if" scenerio that had the SF be held to do an EA/EIS prior to operating, that a group of people then make a court case of YB, Matson, Verizon, etc.- halting services - to also do an EA/EIS (regardless of the "grandfather clause")? Think about it, no toilet paper, rice, spam, etc.
I agree with Imua's comments. If the SF is bad for the environment, then we have tons of other people/companies to go after. A lot of these companies we depend on for our daily necessities. Although it's not a necessity, the SF would be close to one once GO! leaves the islands and Hawaiian/Aloha jack up prices again.
I think the government messed up by avoiding the EA/EIS in the first place. However, for some reason, if an EA or EIS was done in the beginning, I think the same people (mostly rich Maui/Kauai haoles) would still fight it. These same people are the ones that need to stop by Starbucks on their way to the protests.
kalapaki kid

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

superferry swan song:

waxing my surfboard, calling my friends, with the superferry running the fun never ends
blocking the dock rocking the rock
garibaldi and lingle have to be stopped
don't ride this boat unless you wanna gloat about being stopped by surfers, boogie boarders too
you wouldn't like this happening to you
people all huhu calling you names
this is what happens when our leaders play games stay home my friends or come on the plane
we stopped the boat once we'll stop it again
Been There

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Kauai Ohana wrote:
This is a sad day for Hawaii. The Supreme Court undermined, 30 years of environmental law thrown out the window and Neighbor Island legitimate concerns ignored and ridiculed. It is not about being against the Superferry it is about right process and respect for community and the aina.
Can you honestly tell me that you sat down and weighed all the advantages and disadvantages of the SF? Or did you just listen to the activist against the SF. Never listen to an activist, they just want what they want, never mind if it's good or not.
It's really a no brainer, the SF is good for Hawaii. You just gotta manage it. Your whole island has been mismanaged. Look at your infrastructure, don't exist does it? That's what you gotta focus on. Managed growth is necessary. YOu gotta eat bruddah!
The grand slam of golf ain't on Kauai anymore, did you protest that too?
Do your own thinking. Don't listen to the protesters and play the blame game.
jah rasta

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Well, it's about time that something good for Hawaii is working out!!! Finally the real majority is heard and not just the outspoken. Hope we continue to work together and come into agreement that this is something in the best interest for "DA PEOPLE" of Hawai'i.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of141
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Search the Kihei Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun 30 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine Huang 3
Power outage in the Pukalani area May '14 Shannon Ward 1
Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear Apr '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 8
•••
•••