Plant growth blocks Kahala beach access

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The state has sent letters to 12 Kahala beachfront property owners whose vegetation is forcing people to walk in the water when going from one end of the beach to the other.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 73 of73
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Leeward Lolo

Naalehu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

I have never been to this beach as I find Kahala an overcrowded, boring place. But I am curious why people want to travel this beach from end to end, if that is what is going on, when there are over 120 other beaches on Oahu.

I understand the issues here so no argument but wonder why this always comes up in this area. Also what happens between Kahala and DH that would require a dog's protection.

Unlike many of these irate posters I do live here (Oahu).
mufasah

Hauula, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

the rich will do whatever they have to do to hang on to their riches
kls

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

there is no difference in this situation than the idiots who squat on the beaches throughout hawaii
they along with their dogs, defecate
everywhere and litter, the laws can't be applied to one group and not another, so when the laws apply to everyone then they should be enforced but when areas are posted no drugs, no alcohol etc and it is ignored by both the squatters and the police than the police have no right to fine the residents with the beach plants
michael

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

Residents need to cut back the plants or the state can do it for them and bill them for the work.
water boy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

I wonder if those plants that homeowners are planting and watering to encroach on the beach would die if conditions got too salty for them...
C A Bridgman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Judged:

I have a comment regarding the vegetation issue. It seems that you are attempting to legislate a personal issue. That is always a no win for the majority to appease a few. I don't think we should look at this as anything more than a neighbor helping another neighbor to solve a very localized issue. Let the neighborhoods deal with their own. If you have to walk around some plants to get where you want to go, than that's what you have to do along the shore. I do that all the time in preservation zones. No one considers the inconvenience about land that is designated as fragile. The beach is fragile in the sense that it changes and erodes differently and unpredictably; daily. Just handle the walk difficulties, and change the path to accommodate your walk. That's the best anyone can do. Relax Hawaii. It's such a non-issue. Please don't create another law that is ultimately expensive and meaningless.
Thank you.
SaveKahalaBeach

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

Kahala beach vegetation encroachment is NOT due to erosion. In the article that appeared in last Sunday's Star Bulletin (6/1) entitled "Overtaking the Beach" and in today's Editorials (6/4), coastal geologist, Dolan Eversole, was quoted as having said that erosion has taken away so much land that in some cases, private property already has been submerged. I am certain Mr. Eversole did not make such a statement in reference to Kahala Beach, as both articles imply. Kahala Beach is not eroding according to the Historical Shoreline Change Rate data produced by the University of Hawaii, Coastal Geology Group and distributed to the Waialae-Kahala Neighborhood Board by Mr. Eversole last month during a presentation made by the State Office of Conservation and Coastal Land on the Kahala beach vegetation encroachment issue. According to data through 2005, Kahala Beach, from the Waialae Beach Park to the Hunakai access, is accreting, not eroding, at an average rate of 0.25 feet per year. The maximum accretion rate, 0.87 occurs near the north end. Historical studies conducted in the 1980ís found stable shorelines or net accretions along most of the Kahala Shoreline from 1949-1988. South of the Hunakai access the shoreline has no beach and has been armored with sea walls since before WW II.

Naupaka and hau plants in the wash of the waves are not because of an eroding beach where high-water is creeping up on vegetation, but rather induced vegetation has crept up on the high-water and the publicís access to beach is whatís eroding.
SavedaBeach

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

Induced salt water tolerant vegetation encroaching into the shoreline is not unique to Kahala Beach. This is an issue on lots of beaches state wide.
Agressive plants such as naupaka and hau within the wash of the waves does NOT protect a beach from erosion but, to the contrary, may actually accelerate erosion. An active beach and dune system that migrates with the shoreline is the most effective natural barrier for coastal hazards. Unnatural vegetation, which is induced or allowed to grow too far seaward, can lead to beach loss, unnatural steeping of beach faces, interruption of sediment transport, and reduced recovery capacity after episodic erosional events. Altered and narrowed beach and dune systems provide less effective hazard defenses because they do not have the range or sediment needed to rapidly respond to changes in nearshore wave energy. By moving the coastal vegetation to an appropriate landward location, property owners will be improving coastal access and reducing risks from coastal hazards.
dumpnoco2

Ketchikan, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

pgkemp wrote:
could state people come on down by cromwells, past black point, kulamanu place, kulamanu street,kaimanawai pl. side, and see all the shrubbery, and beach wall(s) that have fallen, and given way to "newer" built ones. it is hard for people to walk by especially at high tide. i have placed calls to the state, with the response, we will send people by to check the situation...i/we are still waiting.....dogs too, are sometime nuisances with their lame owners failure to pickup after their mess.
Please don't give up! Please continually call the state and county to enforce the current laws for public access. This article brought the continuous problem to the forefront. State laws must be enforced. Another solution is to call the County of Honolulu; the planning department and file a complaint. Be certain you have the exact tax map key information. It's necessary to be proactive and know the regulations and laws. It's arduous work but keep at it. Yes, you can!!
ANA MARIA

Porto Alegre, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2008

EU AMEI A PRAIA MESMO COM A VEGETAÇÃO CRESCIDA
Hanapaa

Keauhou, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

So is the conclusion of the matter that the property line is somewhere between the high tide line and the vegetation line? If so can people be restricted from accessing the area above the vegetation line especially if they are obnoxious, loud or unruly in nature? Can we then claim that you are welcome to our beach as long as you behave yourself? So then we can restrict people to the area below the vegetation line which is clearly State property and not ours?
Unknown Komic ke ia

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Some group with buldozers should put sand in front of those plants and install a baseball field in front of those homes. Maybe basketball courts or moto-cross tracks.
big islang raised

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
How do you know that the urine you are smelling is dog urine and not human.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 73 of73
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Search the Kihei Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun 30 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun 18 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine Huang 3
Power outage in the Pukalani area May '14 Shannon Ward 1
Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear Apr '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 8
•••
•••