Plant growth blocks Kahala beach access

The state has sent letters to 12 Kahala beachfront property owners whose vegetation is forcing people to walk in the water when going from one end of the beach to the other. Full Story
La Dee Da

Honolulu, HI

#24 Jun 1, 2008
George wrote:
"These people should be fined every day until they understand that they don't own the beach."
If they don't own it, why should they be required to maintain it?
Uh, because they own the plants which overgrew out onto the beach. Similar principle if you had plants or trees which grow out of your property and end up blocking the sidewalk.

Also, in the case of sidewalk planter strips, for example -- you don't own them, but you're required to maintain the portion fronting your property.
Denial

Honolulu, HI

#25 Jun 1, 2008
"Hardening" of the shoreline caused by structures built by these landowners has probably contributed to coastal erosion in the first place, so now they're trying to save themselves from their own actions. Beaches also meander naturally to some degree.

It's not really anyone's fault that we didn't understand these things way back when, but now that we do, it's time to change our antiquated laws regarding shoreline setbacks, coastal structures and beach access.

The days of thinking that Man can beat Mother Nature are over. Global sea levels are rising, whether you believe we are the cause or not.

Last I checked, we live on ISLANDS. Hawaii has every reason to be proactive about these issues, but you know that goes -- stick our heads in the sand and hope it goes away. Sigh.
KBoy

Honolulu, HI

#26 Jun 1, 2008
Let's meet at the beach some night with a spray bottle full of Round-Up. That would take cae of the problem toot sweet!
Local Investor

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jun 1, 2008
Force the issue in Kahala, and then let's get to work in other neighborhoods--Kailua, Lanikai, Hawaii, Portlock.

Then, let's get serious about all the seawalls that have been illegally constructed in the last forty years, destroying -- not just blocking -- miles of beaches islandwide.

Of course, this is all on property owned by the powers-that-be and their supporters...or absentee owners that don't care at all.

Someone's got to step up and show some real leadership. Now, let me get out my magnifying glass and try to find some of that in Hawaii.
mhmmm

Lahaina, HI

#28 Jun 1, 2008
alohabill wrote:
You get to think seriously that you really can not blame the property owners that they must make it harder to access thier property so people that want to burgalize them will have a hard time, On the other hand it is the public rights to walk on the sand and enjoy the beach. I love that beach and yes at high tide it gets hard to walk without getting your feet wet. Also the vegetation actually helps with erosion, but then again the law is law.
STF! You have no idea what you're talking about.
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

#29 Jun 1, 2008
mookane wrote:
It's a typical Haole attitude, thinking they brought with them from the mainland. They think because they have money they don't have to obey the laws, WRONG !! They choose to live on the beach, so if mother nature takes back the Aina and their houses flood or fall into the ocean, SO BE IT !! It was your choice, LIVE WITH IT !! The Beaches are PUBLIC, Cut your plants Kahala or move back to the mainland!!
How do you know that these people are from the mainland? A lot of rich "locals" live in Kahala these days, maybe even some with Hawaiian "blood," and Gensiro Kawamoto owns some houses there too. True, Kawamoto is "haole," but only in the original meaning of the word, not the meaning that most "locals" use today.

Sneakiness (extending the plant line closer to the water) and greed (wanting to get sometime you didn't pay for) is not unique to "haole" culture.
pgkemp

Honolulu, HI

#30 Jun 1, 2008
could state people come on down by cromwells, past black point, kulamanu place, kulamanu street,kaimanawai pl. side, and see all the shrubbery, and beach wall(s) that have fallen, and given way to "newer" built ones. it is hard for people to walk by especially at high tide. i have placed calls to the state, with the response, we will send people by to check the situation...i/we are still waiting.....dogs too, are sometime nuisances with their lame owners failure to pickup after their mess.
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

#31 Jun 1, 2008
Mokebla wrote:
Growing up as a child our kapuna's always told us that a landowner's right cease at the high water mark on the beach. Went to Niihau once as teenager diving, as long we were in the water we were fine. So whats the true Law?
I think you'll find that Chief Justice Richardson ruled that public property extends to the vegation line, not the high water line, and so that is now state law.

The reason for that is because when he was a kid he had to stand in the water outside the Royal Hawaiian Hotel because the hotel claimed all the beach down to the high water line was private "For Hotel Guests Only."

Therefore he changed the law so that poor people don't have to stand in water and watch the rich folks party on their "private" beach.
Bulldozer

Princeville, HI

#32 Jun 1, 2008
Just call me and i will bulldoze this beach!
LauLau

AOL

#33 Jun 1, 2008
Whether there would be consequences? Of course, there should be heavy fines levied against the homeowners. The land belongs to the state of Hawaii and all its residents and should be easily accessible. It all comes down to greedy selfish homeowners who don't want to comply by the rules/laws of the islands.
makaiman

Portland, OR

#34 Jun 1, 2008
Doesn't the city/state have more important issues to address? As Hawaii, Don Ho said..." It's No Big Thing,Brudda"
Kahala Rich

Honolulu, HI

#35 Jun 1, 2008
The rich deserve to own the beaches and keep out the homeless, the noisy nocturnal party makers, the stinky dogs, strangers, and burglars. Gate off the area and charge outsiders by the hour. That should help employ guards to insure quiet at night so they can sleep. They worked hard to own their parcel of exclusive dream property. Let them enjoy it. As for you mokes complaining about your beaches (?), give it up. Y'all got conquered and assimilated. Live with it!

Some people are more equal than others.
beach boy

Kapolei, HI

#36 Jun 1, 2008
George wrote:
"These people should be fined every day until they understand that they don't own the beach."
If they don't own it, why should they be required to maintain it?
You're absolutely correct. They don't own the beach. Have you never taken a walk down one of these beaches? Have you never seen water sprinklers directed toward the beaches from these houses to encourage the excessive growth of vegetation? Maintain it? How about if the just stop trying to grow stuff where they aren't supposed to?
Just do it

Honolulu, HI

#37 Jun 1, 2008
Here's an idea: The consequence for owners who don't comply is to have the State itself remove the illegal plants at Kahala Beach. Then move to other areas like Lanikai where this is a big problem too.

People who live in or visit our Hawaiian paradise should respect one another and respect State laws.
grossed out

Honolulu, HI

#38 Jun 1, 2008
Kahala Rich wrote:
The rich deserve to own the beaches and keep out the homeless, the noisy nocturnal party makers, the stinky dogs, strangers, and burglars. Gate off the area and charge outsiders by the hour. That should help employ guards to insure quiet at night so they can sleep. They worked hard to own their parcel of exclusive dream property. Let them enjoy it. As for you mokes complaining about your beaches (?), give it up. Y'all got conquered and assimilated. Live with it!
Some people are more equal than others.
Comments like this show your ignorance and racism. People like you are just plain gross.
loco moco

Rockville, MD

#39 Jun 1, 2008
"Gate off the area and charge outsiders by the hour. That should help employ guards to insure quiet at night so they can sleep."

No I think Kahala Rich is being ironic. Either that, or else he owns a piece of Wackenheads Security.
Mark Allen

United States

#40 Jun 1, 2008
The plants are what is holding the beach. If you cut back the plants, the beach will wash away.

That is what happened to much of Lanikai beach. They cut out the trees and plants, prevented rain water from irrigating them and the beach washed away. Let the plants grow and prevent erosion. Take out the plants and you might as well start building a beach wall.
LauLau

AOL

#41 Jun 1, 2008
Where has the aloha spirit gone regarding one of our most beautiful assets that the islands has to offer, our gorgeous beaches? The wealthy homeowners want to keep the public off and make it inaccessible to transcend across our land by letting the vegetation grow over to the beach. Trim back your greens and let the residents of Hawaii have a walkable path to some of the beauty that God has given us here in paradise.
pgkemp

Honolulu, HI

#42 Jun 1, 2008
Mark Allen wrote:
The plants are what is holding the beach. If you cut back the plants, the beach will wash away.
That is what happened to much of Lanikai beach. They cut out the trees and plants, prevented rain water from irrigating them and the beach washed away. Let the plants grow and prevent erosion. Take out the plants and you might as well start building a beach wall.
i totally disagree with your statements. Obviously, mr. allen, you never have been on the south shoreS of oahu.
Mark Allen

United States

#43 Jun 1, 2008
And another thing. Even in nature, plants often grow to the high water mark.

Maybe you want to kill all the plants on the beaches of Hawaii, and then see what you end up with.

Just walk on the plants if you hate them so much.

I have a house in Lanikai. I would love to bring back the beach in Lanikai, but to do that we would have to let the rain water flow onto the beach like it did before the storm drains were built, and then replant the area with trees like Kailua Beach has, soon we could take out those see walls and the beach would be back.

If anything, we should require beach front property owners to maintain an adequate amounts of landscaping to prevent erosion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread 14 hr Musikologist 1
Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec 5 Bmused Artwork 4
Monsanto files suit in effort to block Maui's G... Nov '14 Joe Balls 3
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
Kihei Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kihei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kihei News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kihei

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:24 pm PST

NBC Sports12:24PM