Plant growth blocks Kahala beach access

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The state has sent letters to 12 Kahala beachfront property owners whose vegetation is forcing people to walk in the water when going from one end of the beach to the other.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of73
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
alohabill

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

You get to think seriously that you really can not blame the property owners that they must make it harder to access thier property so people that want to burgalize them will have a hard time, On the other hand it is the public rights to walk on the sand and enjoy the beach. I love that beach and yes at high tide it gets hard to walk without getting your feet wet. Also the vegetation actually helps with erosion, but then again the law is law.
beach boy

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

Though long overdue, this is a rather mild response by the state. Many property owners intentionally grow plants on the beach which reduces the size of and access to beaches. These people should be fined every day until they understand that they don't own the beach. Plain and simple.
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

The problem as I understand it is that state law also defines private property as extending to the vegetation line. So, if you're a property owner, the closer to the water you can extend your plants the more land you gain. If you can get your plants to grow all the way down to the high water line, well, tough<> for the public! Let 'em go somewhere else.

I think it is typical of the typically half-<>ed way the government does things when confronting rich people on behalf of the rest of us that Lemmo "declined to say whether there would be consequences" is the rich folks ignore to government's notice to cut back the plants. It reminds me of the time that some rich people closer to Diamond Head claimed that they had been allowed to encrouch on a strip of pubic property for so long (the "old road") that they now "owned" it.

So, here is an opportunity for the native-Hawaiian group that occupied the 'Iolani Palace grounds for several days in May to go down to the beach with machetes, chain saws and shovels, etc., seize the time, cut back the plants, and take back the beach area for the people of Hawaii.

Imua, ohana! Eddie would go!
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

this is probably unrelated but I can whole-heartdly agree with hawaiis law that all beaches are public and have to have public access to them. been to most beaches on all islands. we live in northeast PA and used to go to toms river NJ frequently to see our son. we had to pay to park at the beach 25 cents per 15 minutes and had to pay to go on the beach..I believe it was $10.00. hawaii, keep the same law., all beaches belong to the people and have to have public access.
George

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

"These people should be fined every day until they understand that they don't own the beach."

If they don't own it, why should they be required to maintain it?
Bill

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Lemmo is lame-o. Lemmo is really saying that the rich get away with flaunting the law and Lemmo won't do a darn thing about it.
Kahala girl

Niceville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

Having been Kahala raised since the early 50's, I agree the beach HAS changed. The drop from Hunakai Beach right of way used to be FLAT access from the right of way, not a jump requiring the rails installed by some kind soul.There was also a much wider stretch of beach in front and off to the Black Point side which has now vanished.
I also was wet when I couldn't time my crossing of the Hau Jungle at high tide. Yes, I know the beach front landowners are concerned about their homes and loosing their homes to the water, but the beach access must be kept for everyone to enjoy. As far as the 'burglers' go, so goes the world. The low lifes that think the world owes them a living will always be around, no matter where you are. Morals seem to be a thing of the past however it's a shame.
So cut the vegetation back please to make this summer a fun time for all who choose to go to the beach.
Buckeye

Williamsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

Deliberately overgrown plants on the beaches is certainly a problem, and an argument can certainly be made that it prevents erosion. However, no such argument can be made about he deliberate overgrowth where the public access paths leave the road. Public access is already too limited by infrequent paths, but when they are deliberately hidden, access becomes all bt impossible. Cut back the growth along the road too!
kls

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

glenn paul wrote:
this is probably unrelated but I can whole-heartdly agree with hawaiis law that all beaches are public and have to have public access to them. been to most beaches on all islands. we live in northeast PA and used to go to toms river NJ frequently to see our son. we had to pay to park at the beach 25 cents per 15 minutes and had to pay to go on the beach..I believe it was $10.00. hawaii, keep the same law., all beaches belong to the people and have to have public access.
which is exactly why the squatters on this island need to be removed
the beaches are for everyone, one cannot just stake his claim
manini

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

There will be no consequencies for those home owners who refuse to comply. There are never consequences for the wealthy. They hire a skillful lawyer or two and the next thing you know the state is paying off the violator.
Truth

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

no worries wrote:
Crack down on the dog owners as well.
The whole beach, from Kahala Beach Park to Hunakai stinks of urine. Dogs do not belong on the beach, especially unleashed ones.......
..........It's a joke.
I agree!
mookane

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

It's a typical Haole attitude, thinking they brought with them from the mainland. They think because they have money they don't have to obey the laws, WRONG !! They choose to live on the beach, so if mother nature takes back the Aina and their houses flood or fall into the ocean, SO BE IT !! It was your choice, LIVE WITH IT !! The Beaches are PUBLIC, Cut your plants Kahala or move back to the mainland!!
BMillies

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

Why send them letters the state is and never will do nothing. Money talks B.S. walks
dumpnoco2

Ketchikan, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

It's sad to read that only one landowner complied. At least he had the decency to think of others. Unlike that other self-absorbed individual that refused to trim his vegetation. That attitude "stinks"! It's not like the DLNR is ordering him to 'remove' the growth. It's an island-wide issue. Can't we just get along? The beach is public and access is for ALL; not for the chosen few.
loco moco

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

I used to go to that beach via the Hunakai access back in the 60s and 70s. From the picture shown, the beach looks like it has shrunk, but not a tremendous amount. It surely has retreated though. We know by now this is basically impossible to stop.

The law is clear and I'm not sure why the state would be saying "we don't want to be cutting plants on private property". Anything below the wash of high tide is not private property. If the water goes underneath the plants, the state can whack 'em.

As for the dogs, amen to that! Used to be every few years there would be some enforcement. I think they even had signs at the end of the rights-of-way, but probably they are all rusted by now.

Too much rich folks entitlement already.
WaterLine

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Just have them turn off any irrigation below the presumed high water mark.
Mokebla

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Growing up as a child our kapuna's always told us that a landowner's right cease at the high water mark on the beach. Went to Niihau once as teenager diving, as long we were in the water we were fine. So whats the true Law?
woof

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

no worries wrote:
Crack down on the dog owners as well.
The whole beach, from Kahala Beach Park to Hunakai stinks of urine. Dogs do not belong on the beach, especially unleashed ones.
You're lucky if one in ten dogs there is leashed. I've literally seen dog fights and dogs urinate on sunbathers there. It's a joke.
If you want to see some gross stuff, go down the beach to Diamond Head!
You might want to take a dog to chase the stuff that goes on down there away....
OBEY THE LAW

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Judged:

mookane wrote:
It's a typical Haole attitude, thinking they brought with them from the mainland. They think because they have money they don't have to obey the laws, WRONG !! They choose to live on the beach, so if mother nature takes back the Aina and their houses flood or fall into the ocean, SO BE IT !! It was your choice, LIVE WITH IT !! The Beaches are PUBLIC, Cut your plants Kahala or move back to the mainland!!
I totally agree with you!!
ken

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Yeah, what about the dog owners and having them on a leash as required by State law! Also, have them go to the beach and pick up all the crap that they left behind! I'm tired of stepping on and rolling in dog doo doo! Thank You!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of73
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Search the Kihei Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun 30 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine Huang 3
Power outage in the Pukalani area May '14 Shannon Ward 1
Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear Apr '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 8
•••
•••