MIT Coed With Fake Bomb `art' Arrested

MIT Coed With Fake Bomb `art' Arrested

There are 218 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 21, 2007, titled MIT Coed With Fake Bomb `art' Arrested. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An MIT student with what police feared was a fake bomb attached to her chest was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport and later claimed it was artwork, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

JMS

Bloomingdale, IL

#22 Sep 21, 2007
The device is pretty small, but the Play-Do seems a bad idea. That is what seems to be the deciding factor.
JMS

Bloomingdale, IL

#23 Sep 21, 2007
She actually sounds more like an art student than an engineering one...
Craig

United States

#25 Sep 21, 2007
jmd wrote:
Come on, people, do you honestly think an actual terrorist would be stupid enough to walk around with a circuit board and flashing lights in plain view?
A suicide bomber, sure.
jmd wrote:
And be so polite and cooperative when nabbed for it? I think she must have proven her point quite nicely.
Um, that was *after* the fact.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#26 Sep 21, 2007
Definitely not the brightest star.
Craig

United States

#27 Sep 21, 2007
Johnny wrote:
She did not try and pass thru security, she went to the ticket counter to ask which gate her boyfriend's plane would be arriving at.
Exactly. And anyone with a whiff of familiarity with the subject knows that the pre-security areas of an airport are a much more attractive soft target for a suicide bomber, which she appeared to be.
skipper

Decatur, GA

#28 Sep 21, 2007
TOO BAD SHE DIDN'T TRY TO RUN.
quit whinning

Aliso Viejo, CA

#29 Sep 21, 2007
Morons wrote:
Johnny, only a moron would think it is acceptable to wear that to the airport. As she hails from Hawaii and goes to school on the east coast, she is no doubt very clear on the practices of security procedures at airports. I agree that she's not stupid - I think she knew exactly what she was doing, and simply wants attention, for who knows what reason. Her actions wasted the time and efforts of security professionals who could have been distracted from a real security threat at one of the nation's busiest airports. It seems that today's college students only want to grab attention (see U. Florida this week). Maybe they weren't hugged enough as kids, who knows. To quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off: "I weep for the future!" Tase them all!
I totally agree with you accept for one thing, I think that they may have been hugged too much especially when they did something wrong, like " Oh Johnny you shouldn't have tortured that cat, let me give you a hug because you must be suffering for having to watch all that horror."
Forist

West Enfield, ME

#30 Sep 21, 2007
Stupid is as stupid does.
quit whinning

Aliso Viejo, CA

#32 Sep 21, 2007
She should be kicked out of MIT for embarrassing the school and putting a black mark on their admissions credibility
RHINO Texas

United States

#33 Sep 21, 2007
Good Morning,
This is kinda yeling FIRE in a packed venu. You know its going to cause proublems. I can not beleive a person this smart , did some thing this stupid. I guess smart does not equate to common sense does it ?
MIKE

Ridgewood, NY

#34 Sep 21, 2007
jmd wrote:
Come on, people, do you honestly think an actual terrorist would be stupid enough to walk around with a circuit board and flashing lights in plain view? And be so polite and cooperative when nabbed for it? I think she must have proven her point quite nicely.
The terrorists are stupid enough to kill themselves expecting to get 70 virgins when they won't have a body with which to do anything.
Boston

United States

#36 Sep 21, 2007
In this post 9/11 world it is complete stupidity to act as this girl did. She attends M.I.T it certainly cant be the M.I.T School of higher learning. It must be the School for Mentally Impared Twits....
Sarcasm

Crisfield, MD

#38 Sep 21, 2007
I can't believe they brought up the Aqua Teen "scare", that event was over reacting.
Johnny

Chicago, IL

#39 Sep 21, 2007
You guys could be critiquing the inelegance of her breadboarding, instead of freaking out over play Doh, but that would require you to know what you are talking about. You can call her stupid all day long, but she is the one programming a micro controller.

If she had a suitcase full of playclay, and no LEDs [and almost every one of us carry some of those around all day long] she would not be on the news. If she was a bomber, they would not have stopped her from doing anything.

What are you people pissed at her about? She is not the cause, she is the example of the kind of useless scrutiny that we are all under.
Barnabus

United States

#40 Sep 21, 2007
Stupid is...as stupid does...I thought these people were supposed to be...'bright'... That's pretty dimwitted!!!
Ken

New Castle, DE

#41 Sep 21, 2007
The kind of arrogant intellectual snobbery displayed by this "child" will stand in the way of her self-actualization throughout her life. Kinda sad that those with the greatest opportunities burn those opportunities...come
Johnny Begood

Minneapolis, MN

#43 Sep 21, 2007
This should be an impotant lesson and reminder to anyone. We hope that Star's actions won't negativly affect her school and career. What was she thinking!?
reza santorini

Skokie, IL

#44 Sep 21, 2007
so many stupid people..all working together to create havoc because of lack of decision making skills. This includes the student.
Andrew

Walnut Creek, CA

#45 Sep 21, 2007
Remember this every time your tax dollar is used for education and you donate to places like MIT. We are turning out more stupid people than ever before and this surely is evidence of it.

“Just a bit of common sense.”

Since: Apr 07

Santa Rosa, for now.

#46 Sep 21, 2007
Seems like maybe this girl wanted attention a little bit too badly.

I'm an artist myself, so I have a great respect for freedom of expression, but I can't say that what she did even sounds remotely like anything but a desperate cry for help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Joe Groomes Mar '17 Nancy Groomes 1
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? Jan '17 Fukme 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3

Kihei Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance