MIT Coed With Fake Bomb `art' Arrested

Full story: Chicago Tribune

An MIT student with what police feared was a fake bomb attached to her chest was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport and later claimed it was artwork, officials said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 218 Comments Last updated Sep 27, 2007
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Fred

Oak Ridge, TN

#1 Sep 21, 2007
"The major praised the booth attendant but said the incident is a reminder of the terrorism threat confronting the civil aviation system."
Are you kidding me????!!!
This is the single most idiotic response I've ever heard. This, by far, trumps the Boston PD's response to the Mooninites! What a bunch of complete goobers!!!
Stewart

Point Of Rocks, MD

#2 Sep 21, 2007
Lock her up....That wasn't funny.
Joe

United States

#3 Sep 21, 2007
Complete goobers for doing their job? The goober here is the MIT student who thought it would be OK to walk through an air port (one mind you that hijackers walked through before crashing airliners into the twin towers) with a circut board with flashing lights and wires on it strapped to her chest.
Rudy

Somerville, NJ

#4 Sep 21, 2007
What a complete idiot! She is lucky to be alive. Doesn't one have to be smart to go to MIT? Apparently not.
sarah

Paris, France

#5 Sep 21, 2007
Yes, Course VI refers to a particular major at MIT that has two divisions, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

This just goes to show that not all people who go to elite schools are all that smart! Ha ha ha what an idiot. I bet she went to Punahou as well.
jmd

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 21, 2007
Come on, people, do you honestly think an actual terrorist would be stupid enough to walk around with a circuit board and flashing lights in plain view? And be so polite and cooperative when nabbed for it? I think she must have proven her point quite nicely.
gatsby

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 21, 2007
Hi jmd. That's exactly what I would do if I were a terrorist. Throws the authorites off guard and then BAM - destruction and mass chaos! You can't assume a terrorist is going to act a certain way. I'm just saying...
Anon

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 21, 2007
What a complete idiot. I hope her trip through the court system is frustrating and expensive.
Lab Rat

Austin, TX

#10 Sep 21, 2007
Take away her student grants and cancel her student loans (make the cretin pay NOW)...This is a sure guarantee the students will think 2x before acting like jack-asses.

This was not funny....but having her educational career financially threatened is a damn laugh riot! HAHAHAHAHAHA
CARD

United States

#11 Sep 21, 2007
I know a few people just like her with an inverse correlation between book smarts and common sense.
JMS

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 21, 2007
I don't get what she was trying to do.
Maybe she was under a lot of pressure?
Johnny

Chicago, IL

#13 Sep 21, 2007
The more I have read about this, the less stupid she seems. What she was wearing looks more like jewelry than a bomb. I was wondering why she would be at the airport, but it sounds like she was there to pick up her boyfriend. She was not looking to, nor expecting to cause trouble. The only thing that is still out there for me is why she refused to speak to the guard. I am figuring it is some flavor of asberic geekiness. Really really smart people have eccentricities.
Joe

United States

#14 Sep 21, 2007
Last I checked there was not code of conduct or rule book for terroist so because of that we have no idea how they'll act and therefore have to be on guard at all times for anything suspicious.
Morons

Ashburn, VA

#15 Sep 21, 2007
Johnny, only a moron would think it is acceptable to wear that to the airport. As she hails from Hawaii and goes to school on the east coast, she is no doubt very clear on the practices of security procedures at airports. I agree that she's not stupid - I think she knew exactly what she was doing, and simply wants attention, for who knows what reason. Her actions wasted the time and efforts of security professionals who could have been distracted from a real security threat at one of the nation's busiest airports. It seems that today's college students only want to grab attention (see U. Florida this week). Maybe they weren't hugged enough as kids, who knows. To quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off: "I weep for the future!" Tase them all!
GiGi

Chicago, IL

#16 Sep 21, 2007
I am confused. She is walking through an airport with circuitry on her chest holding putty/clay in her hand and airport personnel are supposed to say "that is too obvious, she must not be a terrorist"? She wasn't looking to cause trouble? How many 19 year old girls have you known? This girl is either an idiot savant or she knew exactly the controversy she would cause/attention she would get. I feel the utmost sympathy for anyone who saw her and was reminded of 9/11. How many Logan employees knew someone who died that day? MIT should make an example out of her. I hope Logan prosecutes to the full extent of the law.
Pattie

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 21, 2007
I foud a picture of the device at the USA Today site. While in the photo it does appear harmless to me, add the flashing lights to the fact that she was carrying around play-dough, if I were an airport security person, I would have called it in and stopped the person.
She may be an MIT student, but she's obviously not bright enough to realize you don't wear anything with flashing lights at the airport, especially if you're going to carry clay in your hands. Not everyone is technically inclined enough to be able to tell a harmless circuit board from something that will blow people up.
Xxx

Vero Beach, FL

#18 Sep 21, 2007
I hope she get's sentenced to jail. If only to point out to all the stipid liberal morons you can't just do anything you want and get away with it.
Xxx

Vero Beach, FL

#19 Sep 21, 2007
That darn I key right next to the U key!
Johnny

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 21, 2007
She did not try and pass thru security, she went to the ticket counter to ask which gate her boyfriend's plane would be arriving at.

http://boingboing.net/images/cfa4827569_20070...

There is a picture of the sweatshirt.

She has been bailed out.

Everyone is so damn afraid all the time now. It does not speak well of us.

Morons: You are assuming a lot of stuff.
Anon

Chicago, IL

#21 Sep 21, 2007
If we saw someone like this at a shopping mall, would we be suspicious? Probably not. Should we be? Absolutely. It continues to surprise me that no terrorist ever tried to detonate themselves at a crowded mall, and I certainly hope we continue to be lucky in this regard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... 4 hr J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
•••
Kihei Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kihei Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••