Walgreen to acquire 4 Maui pharmacies...

Walgreen to acquire 4 Maui pharmacies - Business

There are 8 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Oct 18, 2008, titled Walgreen to acquire 4 Maui pharmacies - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

With the courtship for Longs Drug Stores now history, Walgreen Co. is acquiring four independently owned pharmacies on Maui.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

knifer

Kaneohe, HI

#1 Oct 18, 2008
I don't think this is good for us. CVS and Walgreen trying to move in to Hawaii. And why all of a sudden do these pharmacy companies want to invade Hawaii?

I like longs just fine as it is. Ever seen how filthy and unpleasant a mainland CVS or Walgreens store is?

Since: Mar 08

Aiea, HI

#2 Oct 18, 2008
When the economy is bad all these large corporations take them over for nothing.

Then when the economy get getter we say wow where did all of our money go?

“andelee.blogspot .com”

Since: Oct 08

Kihei

#3 Oct 19, 2008
I LIKE WAL-GREENS!!! bring on TARGET!!! get rid off WAL MART

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#4 Oct 19, 2008
I like Walgreens. Respectful and clean. On the other hand, since I was a little girl I remember Longs Drugs and how they price gauge th LOCAL people. On the other hand, I have been to Walgreens in Florida, Virginia, Maryland, etc and I do not see signs of PRICE GOUGING local people so I am very glad that they are moving in on Maui. Great move for local people.
Az Wye Hahd

Honolulu, HI

#5 Oct 19, 2008
-Lana- wrote:
I like Walgreens. Respectful and clean. On the other hand, since I was a little girl I remember Longs Drugs and how they price gauge th LOCAL people. On the other hand, I have been to Walgreens in Florida, Virginia, Maryland, etc and I do not see signs of PRICE GOUGING local people so I am very glad that they are moving in on Maui. Great move for local people.
Walgreens doesn't gouge local people in Florida, Virginia or Maryland because there are no locals there -- only haoles like you.

“andelee.blogspot .com”

Since: Oct 08

Kihei

#6 Nov 9, 2008
Damn! Racist much! There are always better deals elsewhere, Longs is over priced and the people here on MAUI are not pro-local, I am happy that Wal Greens and what ever else comes here...WE NEED IT! Hopefully people will stop hating on Haoles and other cultures, because it makes us LOCALS look dumb and uneducated!
Local Who Likes Longs

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 9, 2008
andelee wrote:
Damn! Racist much! There are always better deals elsewhere, Longs is over priced and the people here on MAUI are not pro-local, I am happy that Wal Greens and what ever else comes here...WE NEED IT! Hopefully people will stop hating on Haoles and other cultures, because it makes us LOCALS look dumb and uneducated!
What makes us locals look "dumb and uneducated" is when posts contain Pidgin phrases -- such as "Racist much!" (not to mention various grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, which I'm also guilty of).

I think there are two reasons that people feel Longs is "over-priced":(1) Hawaii Longs stores carry a lot of locally-oriented/specialty products that tend to be more expensive for the stores themselves; and (2) they are comparing Longs to stores like Wal-Greens on the Mainland, where prices for most items tend to be lower overall.

"Always better deals where"? If you're comparing Longs to Costco or WalMart, then obviously those big-box stores have tremendous advantages of scale. Let's see if Wal-Green can carry comparable merchandise to Longs that is specifically tailored to local tastes and preferences, and still maintain "lower" prices overall. I'm skeptical.

But hey, competition and choices are often good things, especially considering that Wal-Green seems to have a "footprint"/impact on the community that's comparable to Longs.

“andelee.blogspot .com”

Since: Oct 08

Kihei

#8 Nov 9, 2008
Local Who Likes Longs wrote:
<quoted text>What makes us locals look "dumb and uneducated" is when posts contain Pidgin phrases -- such as "Racist much!" (not to mention various grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, which I'm also guilty of).
I think there are two reasons that people feel Longs is "over-priced":(1) Hawaii Longs stores carry a lot of locally-oriented/specialty products that tend to be more expensive for the stores themselves; and (2) they are comparing Longs to stores like Wal-Greens on the Mainland, where prices for most items tend to be lower overall.
"Always better deals where"? If you're comparing Longs to Costco or WalMart, then obviously those big-box stores have tremendous advantages of scale. Let's see if Wal-Green can carry comparable merchandise to Longs that is specifically tailored to local tastes and preferences, and still maintain "lower" prices overall. I'm skeptical.
But hey, competition and choices are often good things, especially considering that Wal-Green seems to have a "footprint"/impact on the community that's comparable to Longs.
Yay! YOU Win!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old town Paia Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? Jan '17 Fukme 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
Rudeness (Mar '14) Jan '15 SoontoRetire 3

Kihei Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages