Burger champion takes home $50,000 prize - Features

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Kristine Snyder's Hawaii Da Kine Burgers won her a national title Saturday - and the $50,000 grand prize in Sutter Home's Build a Better Burger contest.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2008
syzygy

Kapolei, HI

#1 Oct 1, 2008
How much effort would it have taken to provide a link to the winning recipe in the article?

http://www.buildabetterburger.com/winners/200...
syzygy

Kapolei, HI

#2 Oct 1, 2008
Oops...found the recipe in the next article.
No Aloha in HI

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Oct 1, 2008
I like sample!
KEFE

Aiea, HI

#4 Oct 1, 2008
"It was cool. They did my hair ... It was so official. Not like doing 'Hawaii's Kitchen.'"

What a cocky a$$ remark. You can tell this lady is full of herself. TYPICAL HAOLE!!!!!!

“Too small to notice”

Since: Jun 08

Kahuku , Ka'U

#5 Oct 1, 2008
I'll take all four, please. Would it be incorrect to reach for the hot sauce?
Steve

Honolulu, HI

#6 Oct 1, 2008
KEFE wrote:
"It was cool. They did my hair ... It was so official. Not like doing 'Hawaii's Kitchen.'"
What a cocky **** remark. You can tell this lady is full of herself. TYPICAL HAOLE!!!!!!
I'm sure she meant well, but yeah, that really didn't sound good at all.
Waimea Cowboy

Kamuela, HI

#7 Oct 1, 2008
Too bad racial bigotry had to be inserted into this discussion of a great gal doing a great thing. Will Hawaii never grow up and realize that it is all good, not just some specialized version of correct?

Enough all ready!
Just Saying

North Hollywood, CA

#9 Oct 1, 2008
That Hawaii's Kitchen remark was less than humble, and clearly reflects the cultural bigotry of this 'great gal'. Sad to say, but very typical of many Caucasians in Hawaii.
Its all good though.
Honolulu Joe

Honolulu, HI

#10 Oct 1, 2008
There is NOTHING Hawaiian!!

There is NOT even ONE (1) Hawaiian Ingredient in the entire recipe!“Maui” Onions and watercress are local favorites, and may even have been grown here, but neither of them are truly Hawaiian food plants.

Look at the ingredients - "McCormick's Gourmet Collection Asian-style Spiced Sea Salt", "Thai sweet chili sauce", "soy sauce (Yamasa brand preferred)"....Hawaiian? Sounds more Asian, don't you think?

How about the truth? Star-Bulletin "staff" can we get some truth in reporting?

Call it like it is.

Kristine Snyder, a white woman, won a burger contest with an Asian-inspired burger falsely labeled as Hawaiian.

Would Kristine have won if she was HONEST and didn’t exploit the “Hawai`i”?
H E Pennypacker

Lilburn, GA

#11 Oct 1, 2008
Good lord...why does everything have to de-evolve into a racial thing?! All she meant was that coming from laid back Hawaii, she isnt used to all the fancy shmancy things in NYC.
Onolicious

Germany

#12 Oct 1, 2008
Honolulu Joe wrote:
There is NOTHING Hawaiian!!
There is NOT even ONE (1) Hawaiian Ingredient in the entire recipe!“Maui” Onions and watercress are local favorites, and may even have been grown here, but neither of them are truly Hawaiian food plants.
Look at the ingredients - "McCormick's Gourmet Collection Asian-style Spiced Sea Salt", "Thai sweet chili sauce", "soy sauce (Yamasa brand preferred)"....Hawaiian? Sounds more Asian, don't you think?
How about the truth? Star-Bulletin "staff" can we get some truth in reporting?
Call it like it is.
Kristine Snyder, a white woman, won a burger contest with an Asian-inspired burger falsely labeled as Hawaiian.
Would Kristine have won if she was HONEST and didn’t exploit the “Hawai`i”?
I think they called it Hawaiian just because she lives in Hawaii. I don't think they cared of the ingredients wether it's asian and or deffirent culture ingredients or spices. But I think I understand what you are saying...Like should have pineapple, and or Aloha soy sauce and hawaiian sea salt, etc. All I know is I want the recipe, it looks onolicious though I'm not a burger lover, I would like to try this one! Hey, maybe she should opened up a burger stand? She probably will make more than $50,000. She should invest the $50,000 for a burger stand with the grill verses going to disneyworld. But the again,$50,000 probably won't be enough to open up her little burger stand. Specially nowadays cost of everything.
No Confidence

Kapolei, HI

#17 Oct 2, 2008
Yuck!
Steve

Honolulu, HI

#18 Oct 2, 2008
Well the recipe may not be "Hawaiian," but at least it wasn't just teriyaki sauce and pineapple - the predominant mainland notion of "Hawaiian food." Well, excepting pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza, I suppose.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine... 3
•••
•••
•••

Kihei Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••