Campbell High to rally for relief from the heat

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Students, staff, school band plan to march on Capitol STORY SUMMARY A push to get Campbell High School air-conditioned is heating up.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of61
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 08

Sacramento

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2008

wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point $12 Million for 1 school? and 8,000 students is very generous # probably closer to half that number. If that's case it would be $3,000 per student for A/C. Obviously money is being wasted hand over foot in Hawaii. In MANY mainland schools all have heat/AC factor the electricity year round (especially winters). I guarantee there not spending anywhere near as much? If it's truly that expensive I have to say screw the A/C at $12,000,000 of Hawaii tax payers money. I remember some very hot days in class. I survived!
Youre forgetting most schools in the mainland are single buildings much like an office building, so heating and cooling is easier. In hawaii most schools are a cluster of smaller buildings with door ways that point outside. When you add an AC to a school like this, everytime students go in and out of class it will release the cooled air and bring in hot air.
Student

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2008

No one from the legislature, state, BOE, or etc. will ever understand what we students & the faculty/staff REALLY go through every single day. Despite the constant neglect from the state (as well as the over exaggerated negative publicity) we're still academically successful.

I'd like to see some of the higher-ups be a part of our school faculty for a few weeks, sit in a classroom, & then say air conditioners aren't a necessity. But don't get me wrong, I'm all for solar power. I'd actually rather want more trees planted on our campus. I'm glad I'm graduating this year. & I wouldn't be surprised that by my class' 10 year reunion, Campbell STILL isn't air conditioned.
DarkDaigoro

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

as a former student of JCHS, I attended the rally because I know what the student are going through in those classes and, even with fans, it's simply not enough to cool down even one half of a classroom alone. But I also have to agree with some of the people and say that the school should try solar powering. Sadly, we all know that this'll never happen. At least not anytime soon.

Also, even if the school get the funds to install ac, it'll take another 30 years before they're fully operational.
campbell student

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

hey give us a/c ok
Clint

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2008

if ac is needed so badly, tell the parents to chip in a few bucks and quit whining for freebies.

ac or not, 50% of campbell kids end up in jail for some kind of crime anyway, so just ignore this issue.
JCHS STUDENT

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2008

lucky wrote:
I have nothing against air conditioning classrooms. However, by the pictures, I see that the students don't realize that they have a responsibility also - besides marching at the state capital. First, remove your hat. Second, wear light colored, cotton clothing!
First of all what the hell does a hat have to do with this. Second he's wearing Campbells school colors. So to hell with your haole light colors.
jesse koa

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

what all these people are saying is get all the school in hawaii an air con then this problem will be solve like any other problem...
Mex

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

Campbell students are on their way to jail for cimes. Let them roast. They are useless. I live near the campus and they litter, fight, trade drugs and fornicate all day.
tim

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

yeah when the students can read and write and the illiterate overpaid teachers can teach, then get 'em one used ac.
Someone

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

Or mega fans.
randy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

where is alice these days...exams still?
Kama Malama O Kahuku

Pahoa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

The school sucks and they deserve what they get. NOTHING!
tim

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

It is the bottom of a bad barrel
ArcFlash

Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

I attended classes in portables at Campbell back in the 70's and I don't recall having air conditioning. Today's kids must be affected by global warming.
hat makes the man

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Mei Ling wrote:
Coming from a cold, snowy area in AZ, we know that you wear hats to keep from losing 50% of your body heat out the top of your head. Maybe they should have the kids take their hats off in class. Would help on an individual level.
But that would destroy that gangsta look that kids think is so cool nowadays!
Are you in Flagstaff? I have friends in Show Low. That's some nice weather up there!
hat makes the man

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

HCF Approach wrote:
If you want a quick solution without tacking on noise abatement fees, they should have all interisland arrivals from Kauai, Asia arrivals, and US Mainland arrivals to use the Runway 4R approach. This approach to the airport is completely over water.
Interisland flights from Molokai, Lanai, Maui, and the Big Island already fly a close-in approach to Runway 8L over the Pearl Harbor channel (or sometimes the 4R over water approach), so they do not have to fly over the populated west end.
Unfortunately this is easier said than done. Simultaneous arrivals and departures are necessary in order to maximize runway usage, and ensure flights are on time at HNL.
<quoted text>
Say, what does the HCF stand for in your name?
hat makes the man

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

JCHS STUDENT wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all what the hell does a hat have to do with this. Second he's wearing Campbells school colors. So to hell with your haole light colors.
Hats trap the heat from your head. Taking off your hat will help cool you as the heat from your head will disperse faster.(And a great deal of heat comes from your head, which is why one of the best ways to keep warm in cold conditions is to wear a hat).
You would know this if you paid attention in science class.
Or have those idiots at the DOE taken that class away from you too?
hat makes the man

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Mex wrote:
Campbell students are on their way to jail for cimes. Let them roast. They are useless. I live near the campus and they litter, fight, trade drugs and fornicate all day.
If this is true, then the legislature should have no trouble working there under these conditions, cause those are the very same things they do at the capitol!.
Tuition

Naalehu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

JCHS STUDENT wrote:
<quoted text>
In such horrible heat why would anyone wear hats, black clothes and long sleeves.
But you certainly sound like a darling child.
Tell me how students there survived for 50 years.
alice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Judged:

If Campbell HS needs ac, they should go to the wealthy Campbell Estate and Foundation and have these rich hawaiians do it. And by the way,$12,000,000 for ac? That is way more than the actual cost. Have volunteers do it for 200,000 or less. Anyway, ask the rich Campbells to pay for their school. They are very stingy but they might agree to help because their name is on it. I am just amazed at how lazy the principal at campbell is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of61
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Search the Kihei Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: All Stars Garage Mar 27 Roger 1
Thank you Mar '14 Judy and Art 1
Rudeness Mar '14 Pattie 1
Ululani's keeps growIng Feb '14 Betty 1
Ranchers welcome rain Feb '14 tongangodz 2
Kihei stay this weekend is the costliest in U.S. Feb '14 Stranger in Town 2
Whale Day Feb '14 Stranger in Town 1
•••
•••