Campbell High to rally for relief fro...

Campbell High to rally for relief from the heat

There are 61 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 10, 2008, titled Campbell High to rally for relief from the heat. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Students, staff, school band plan to march on Capitol STORY SUMMARY A push to get Campbell High School air-conditioned is heating up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Teacher

Honolulu, HI

#24 Mar 10, 2008
JOIN THE RALLY 9:00 TOMORROW AT STATE CAPITOL
llamaboiz

Makawao, HI

#25 Mar 10, 2008
LOL jet noise??? when i was going kailua on hot days the smell from the cow/horse pasture next to the skool would come drifting in... i woulda taken the 'jet noise' over the cow 'sheet' anyday :P
Pono

Winchester, KY

#26 Mar 10, 2008
You can thank Kimberly Pine and Will Espero for this one. They'd rather spend $125 Million dollars of YOUR money on a 4-mile road designed exclusively to carry tourists to the new marina and resort. You people seem to forget that the big equipment needed to build hotels and upscale homes cant come in on dirt roads. And without the state spending $125 million on North/South road, those developers wont be able to build their resorts and make huge profits. That's far more important than providing a proper education for your children.

And there's nothing you mooks can do about it. It's not like your going to demand the state stop spending $125 million to help the developers and demand they invest that money in proper infrastructure. It's not like your going to vote out Will Espero and Kimberly Pine and replace them with representatives who care more about tax-paying residents than the developers who fund their election campaigns.
Karen B

Lahaina, HI

#27 Mar 10, 2008
By all means, spend the money that you have to and get these schools air conditioned. How do you expect these children to concentrate and learn when they're uncomfortable and sweating all day in their classrooms? And the noise factor doesn't help either. Our children deserve to be comfortable in order to grow and prosper in their schools. I think it's an atrocity that most of the schools in this State don't have air conditioning. Let's move into the present and future, and supply these schools with air conditioning.
sick of excuses

Honolulu, HI

#28 Mar 10, 2008
I too graduated from Campbell (c/o '86) and yes it was hot and noisy back then too!! I'm surprised it's taking this long for anyone to do anything... I hope they do something for these kids soon!
warrior fan

San Diego, CA

#29 Mar 10, 2008
Alright, that's good, I'm from Ewa Beach and an Campbell Alumni, and the heat there is nothing like anywhere else on the island for some reason. We used to call it the desert especially on the football field. Give them what they deserve.

“Live Aloha”

Since: Oct 07

Kaneohe

#30 Mar 10, 2008
Aloha,

Continuous Heat Stress Monitoring and safety contingencies should be in-place for these indoor conditions and working in these conditions should be enforced by OSHA or other safety governing bodies.

It's a form of Child Abuse and a definite signal of double standards by school administrators, DOE, the State and a list of others.

Common folk get punished for way less and parents stand the chance of getting their kids taken away for leaving them in a hot automobile for example.

Maslow knew long ago that just providing ample lighting made employees much more efficient.

How in the world are you supposed to retain and process information under these conditions?

Today our NYS Governor was caught on wire tap engaged in a Prostitution Ring and now this news.

And the Jamoke in Kailua who went after teens was a Trustee?

Wondering why we need change in this Country?

Wonder why many kids are battered, torn and mistrust American Leadership.

Heads should roll from this occurence and need an old fashion Paddling from the new Principle!

Goodluck at the Rally!

All of you should be commended!

Mahalo for this article.

With Aloha,

Moke Young
lucky

East Lansing, MI

#31 Mar 10, 2008
I have nothing against air conditioning classrooms. However, by the pictures, I see that the students don't realize that they have a responsibility also - besides marching at the state capital. First, remove your hat. Second, wear light colored, cotton clothing!
Alan

Honolulu, HI

#32 Mar 10, 2008
Whats the hold up get the air conditioning. I mean we obviously have extra 5 billion for rail to nowhere oh and yes we can buy turtle bay but our mighty legislatures cannot get a school airconditioned sad sad ..........sad
BRANDIE

Keaau, HI

#33 Mar 10, 2008
Why not have legistalation sit in a room that is as hot as these class rooms get. Put themselves in these childrens shoes... It is hot and and sticky, who would want to sit in the heat for about 6 or 7 hours a day 5 days week... what are they waiting for?
wayne

Encino, CA

#34 Mar 10, 2008
Big Okole wrote:
Have they installed fans?
$12 million for air conditioners?
Lets say Campbell High has 8,000 students with 30 students per class or 168 classrooms.
This comes out to $45,000 per classroom.
You can air condition a whole house for a lot less.
The air conditioner does not need to make the air cold. It just needs to get the humidity out of the air to make it comfortable.
Another case of Hawaii bureaucracy at work going for the lowest quality at the highest price.
Good point $12 Million for 1 school? and 8,000 students is very generous # probably closer to half that number. If that's case it would be $3,000 per student for A/C. Obviously money is being wasted hand over foot in Hawaii. In MANY mainland schools all have heat/AC factor the electricity year round (especially winters). I guarantee there not spending anywhere near as much? If it's truly that expensive I have to say screw the A/C at $12,000,000 of Hawaii tax payers money. I remember some very hot days in class. I survived!
Former Saber

Wailuku, HI

#35 Mar 10, 2008
I graduated from James Campbell High School in the 70's and we weren't allowed to even wear shorts like some of the kids in the photo. We braved the heat and fanned ourselves. The State is POOR in case you haven't heard. If you expect an already bankrupt system to put in air conditioners, you're dreaming. They can't even pay utilities for heavens sake. And not too long ago, someone stole your copper! I think HECO can afford to donate energy efficient fans. Even UH is suffering, Why do you think people are leaving? The UH library had so much water damage they aren't replacing any of the books and their general maintenance is already on a volunteer basis. Their solution of course is to raise tuition. Campbell like most of those listed are public schools. It's not a hotel or somewhere luxurious. Think about the poor people in New Orleans when Katrina hit. When are we going to learn that we're not going to get help from our Government?! We're in a recession and gas prices are nearing $4 a gallon. Get real--don't expect tax payers to shell out any more than we already do. If the temperature is really too hot and that becomes an issue for you, go someplace else. Don't treat the State like some welfare program.
Lynn

Honolulu, HI

#36 Mar 10, 2008
If you read the article correctly the students are rallying at the state capitol in Hawaii not Washington.
Dave Benson wrote:
Instead of spending money on sending
400 students and staff to Washington to
ask for Air Conditioners, why don't
they spend that money on air
conditioners. Why in the world would
Washington want to set a precedent in
Hawaii and begin funding
air-conditioners in the rest of the
South that gets much hotter than 90
degrees and then how about all the
schools that get cold in the winter....
lets get our tax payer dollars to
fund heaters for all those schools.
Don't these students realize the
bigger picture. Why doesn't each
class that wants an air conditioner
have a car wash and earn the money
for one. They should take a trip to
Honduras and sit with the kids on
dirt floors to get an education while
the temperature swirls around 100 and
the humidity is almost as high.
Baking in Campbell

Honolulu, HI

#37 Mar 10, 2008
Moving to Ewa 6 years ago has been a big change for my children. Not only having to move from the city to a country life, but the HEAT in Ewa has definitly affected their study habits and behavior in school. My children often complain about headaches, and heat rash. They often tell me it's hard for them to concentrate on their school work because of the heat. And if that's not a health issue, can anyone imagine baking in the "HEAT" in the field during PE classes or special events held for the classes out on their football field during mid-day? We lived in Liliha and it gets pretty cool, so my question is... Why does the town schools have A/C while our children in the country are "Baking"?

Since: Feb 08

Phoenix, AZ

#38 Mar 10, 2008
Maybe they can let the DOE administrators trade their air conditioned office space for the hot and noisy classrooms...
conway

AOL

#39 Mar 10, 2008
More electric watercoolers around the campus... working ones...

Free hand fans will help too.

Don't baby the high school kids...get them used to the working conditions of the real world...

There are plenty good jobs that won't have ac at work... carpenters, chefs, stevedores, heavy equipment operators, taro farmers, national park rangers, professional athletes, fishermen, soldiers...

Barney Martinez

Los Angeles, CA

#41 Mar 10, 2008
As an Educator in Anaheim, California, I understand the need for air-conditioning is required for the teachers and students to succeed in their education. The same situation happened in Playa Del Rey at Saint Bernard High School, which is located near LAX. Of course it was fixed with air-conditioning.......it was a private school.
SOLUTION: Have the Legislature conduct their business at your school and the school classes will taught at the Capitol.
Feel free to contact me via email I will visiting Oahu during July.
Pualani Benson

Wahiawa, HI

#42 Mar 10, 2008
And most of the folks who are making the decision on whether or not classrooms are air conditioned, have air conditioned offices!! Not only do they have air conditioned offices, but they don't have 30 hot, sweaty students in their offices with them. It is an absolute disgrace. There are plenty of "green buildings" that have air conditioning. It is high time they air condition classrooms. Research has shown that students remain on task and learn more when they are comfortable and cool, in air conditioned classrooms. Enough already!
Campbell Student

Winchester, KY

#43 Mar 10, 2008
Am I the only Campbell student that's actually read this?

Well, i was just wondering... If the classrooms were well-equiped with the luxuries of an air-condition, that would prevent teachers and students from having to open all of the windows and doors right? They may even consider replacing the wooden windows we currently have to accomadate for the sound and new air-conditions.

Well my thought was, if the windows remain closed, or replaced with new windows, and the doors remained closed, most of the time, not only will that provide a cool environment, it would lessen the outside noise.
Jason

Kaneohe, HI

#44 Mar 11, 2008
The Campbell HS Student Body should invite legislators to their campus to hold session one day in their non-air conditioned classrooms. I'm sure after a few hours those politicians would understand the situation better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Frank's Friendly Cars Maui Car Rental LLC (Jun '11) Feb '18 Big Al 2
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Feb '18 Musikologist 7
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3

Kihei Jobs

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages