Anybody out there that used to Hangou...
66 GTO

Weaverville, NC

#22 Dec 25, 2013
Toodles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ray Brown died a couple years before the date of the above question.
Sad to hear that, Ray was a good guy and I liked him. Any body remember Larry Fernback, Al Manetti, George Roman or Roy Lambertson?
Justsumguy

Bayonne, NJ

#23 Jan 24, 2014
I just looked up Wetsons remember going there when I was 6 or 7 when my father would take me fishing. Lake Hopatcong I think. I always thought it was before Mc Donalds. I lived in north Jersey but moved to central years ago. I used to go to airport Plaza Interstate Electronics in the mid 90s. I lived around parkway exit 100 and traveled to exit 117 Keyport. I remember when a sub sandwich weighed a pound or more for a buck an a half. To all my Vietnam vets Just overwhelming for me im glad were all here anyhow nice remembering Wetsons and here all this time I thought they started it all before Micky Dees.
Kathy

New Brunswick, NJ

#24 Feb 15, 2014
Just wanted to let you know that IEI is still in airport plaza and Mike's sub shop is still open in Keyport. The place was rebuilt after Sandy. Mike's sons run the place now and their subs are still the best!
66 gto

Little Switzerland, NC

#25 Feb 16, 2014
Kathy wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that IEI is still in airport plaza and Mike's sub shop is still open in Keyport. The place was rebuilt after Sandy. Mike's sons run the place now and their subs are still the best!
Hi Kathy, I got Mike's subs in 1966, I can remember thinking about the oil and vinegar of a Mike's sub in Pleiku, Republic of South Vietnam in 1969. Glad to hear his kid's have taken over his business. Wish them blessings and good luck, their daddy was a good and kindly man, many good memories of Mike. 66gto and viet vet. God Bless Girl.
66 gto

Little Switzerland, NC

#26 Feb 16, 2014
Kathy wrote:
Kathy thank you for repliying.I will be back on here later to adress other historical issues, but I really appreciate you adressing issues. Thank you .
66 gto

Barnardsville, NC

#27 Mar 30, 2014
Wan't to keep this going. Anybody still around from the 60's pipe up. I made it back from the "nam. And have children and Grandchildren, Would love to just hear from someone who was there back then, I would probably remember you, or your family. If you hung around Wetson's in 1966, I drove the maroon GTO and my firsrt name was Roy.
checkel

West Milford, NJ

#28 Jun 12, 2014
Anyone remember Lofts candy at the airport plaza in the 60's?
Another Raitan Grad

Muskegon, MI

#29 Jul 12, 2014
Raritan Grad wrote:
Not only did my buddy and I ride our bikes from Annapolis Drive to Wetson's my mom would buy our fanily a bag full when the use to run their 10 for $1.00.
I also remember IEI and yes, they had really cool stuff for electronic nut and car speakers were cheap as heck.
I also lived on Annapolis Dr and use to ride my Bike with my buddy tothe Airpot Plaza to get the 10 Wetsons burgers for a buck. Odd thing is I also live in Windber PA till last year but still own a home there. I graduated in 1976 and live @#22Annapolis Dr. I wonder who you are:)
Toodles

West Palm Beach, FL

#30 Sep 7, 2014
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>P.s You would'nt be Ray Brown would you?. S till remember Racer Brown.
Ray Brown would never sit at a computer and even try to type. Ray died 6 years ago. And it very well could have been those 35-40 burgers he and Big D would scarf down in one sitting.
eddieh

Blackwood, NJ

#31 Jan 31, 2015
I remember mother taking th e 4 of us there so she could feed us on $5.00! For some strange reason, I'm overtaken by the taste of pickles at the moment!(Burp) They had the best vanilla thick shakes.
Dennis is Dallas

Plano, TX

#32 Aug 7, 2015
I grew up in Cliffwood Beach in the 60's. Several things about Weston's and IEI. Weston's was indeed in the parking lot of Airport Plaza. IEI did not enter the Plaza until maybe 73/74, before then he had a store in Keyport/Cliffwood, it was a white building right next to the bridge on 35 north of Town and Country Diner. I bought my first real stereo there in 74. In the early to 60's, maybe as late as 65 the big store in Airport Plaza was WT Grant, this was a department store. Also in the area was JM Fields on 35 and bradlees was Family Circle. Across from bradless where the shop rite was, was a store called John's Bargins store. Had the tv ad "back to school, back to school, bargins galore, where everyone shops John's Bargins Store.

On Mike's Sub shop in Keyport,,, it's still there and still own the Adversa family. I went to school with Paul Adversa, he still works there on Tuesday night (at least the last time I stopped in a year or so ago, his mom and dad were both working and remembered me!)

As far as Hazlet,,,, family friends live on Lynn Blvd, maybe you remember a milk truck parked in the street. Ed Docke was a milkman, me and my dad used to "run" the route for him on weekends.

My first wife lived on Hemlock.
Dennis in Dallas

Plano, TX

#33 Aug 10, 2015
I couldn't see how to start a new thread, but since it's a Hazlet question, I'm posting here.

Anyone remember a building on 35 with a yellow airplane on the roof? Went by names Sgt Peppers, The Hanger, Red Baron and Hazlet lunch? I remember it being on the Southbound side of 35 between Bedle Rd & Hazlet Ave. I thought it had neon tubes for the prop, that flashed to look like a spinning blade.

Also from the same time and location a place called "the Hazlet Diner", I seem to recall it had a flashing neon sign at the end of the building that flashed G/Food, where the G&F flashed on and off, but the ood stayed lit. These might have been the same building.

The question came up between me and my buddy, that's how I remember it.

Also going back between 60-65, did JM Fields have any other business attached to it? Or was it just the department store? Somewhere along the line they had a Service Merchandise and a Rickle I think.

Any answers would be great, pictures even better.

Thanks
Dennis Wilmot
Dennis in Dallas

Plano, TX

#34 Aug 14, 2015
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text> Sad to hear that, Ray was a good guy and I liked him. Any body remember Larry Fernback, Al Manetti, George Roman or Roy Lambertson?
Was Larry Fernback from Cliffwood and was a welder? Maybe drove a black 64 Ford Galaxy 500?
josephking

Brick, NJ

#36 Aug 30, 2015
Remember Wetsons well always going there and getting a family size fry bag for 1.00. also remember Airport Plaza when it was a actual small airport. I lived on highway 36 by Rose lane, does any recall the restaurant right there that was located at the twin lakes. In the early 50's it was called Chicken in the basket and then sold to Larry Nolan who changed the name to Lakeview inn. We lived right at the U turn but our house was claimed under Eminent Domain to make room for IFF driveway.. The other little thing I remember are the drag races starting at the traffic light headed east on the highway towards Keansburg.
josephking

Brick, NJ

#37 Sep 4, 2015
Dennis in Dallas wrote:
I couldn't see how to start a new thread, but since it's a Hazlet question, I'm posting here.
Anyone remember a building on 35 with a yellow airplane on the roof? Went by names Sgt Peppers, The Hanger, Red Baron and Hazlet lunch? I remember it being on the Southbound side of 35 between Bedle Rd & Hazlet Ave. I thought it had neon tubes for the prop, that flashed to look like a spinning blade.
Also from the same time and location a place called "the Hazlet Diner", I seem to recall it had a flashing neon sign at the end of the building that flashed G/Food, where the G&F flashed on and off, but the ood stayed lit. These might have been the same building.
Also going back between 60-65, did JM Fields have any other business attached to it? Or was it just the department store? Somewhere along the line they had a Service Merchandise and a Rickle I think.
Thanks
Dennis Wilmot
I'll link a video of your restaurant in question if I can. or you can search.

Old 16mm film of GSP Exit 117 and Route 35 taken by Jack Kirby in 1956..
josephking

Brick, NJ

#38 Sep 4, 2015
josephking wrote:
<quoted text> I'll link a video of your restaurant in question if I can. or you can search.
Old 16mm film of GSP Exit 117 and Route 35 taken by Jack Kirby in 1956..
Link https://www.facebook.com/HIGHLANDSNewJersey/v...
66 GTO

Franklin, NC

#39 Sep 18, 2015
josephking wrote:
I remember when that was all woods and farms until the New York land rapers came in and bulldozed the living hell out of everything, I was in the 6th grade in Hazlet when this was taken and we had to be bussed into Rumson because of lack of school facilities to serve all the transplants.Believe it or not, at one time this was a sleepy, pristine and beautiful area.
66 GTO

Franklin, NC

#40 Sep 18, 2015
Dennis in Dallas wrote:
Thanks
Dennis Wilmot
Hazlet lunch was called "Kahlerts" in the 1950's and was owned by Ted Kahlert who also owned the nurseries across from it. Ted was an old pilot who flew out of Hazlet airfield, and plane on the roof was the carcass of one of his old Piper Cubs.
nuggetman

Brooklyn, NY

#41 Jan 22, 2016
Toodles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ray Brown died a couple years before the date of the above question.
tell my about ray brown I knew him very well my friend
Higgs

Hazlet, NJ

#42 Feb 9, 2016
What was the name of the hamburger joint next to Yesterdays before it became the dry cleaners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Before start of trial, Menendez says, 'I will b... Sep 18 Anybody Anywhere 11
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Sep 14 Bluesy51 73
Union Beach Music Thread (Nov '15) Aug 27 Musikologist 3
News Menendez asks for trial schedule to allow Senat... Aug '17 RustyS 3
News Man who claimed cops wrongfully arrested him ge... Jul '17 Sandy99 1
News No need to panic: Owner of Keansburg bakery loo... Jul '17 Margaret 3
News Keansburg Police Searching For Missing 11 Year ... Jul '17 Margaret 1

Keyport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keyport Mortgages