Anybody out there that used to Hangout at Wetson's in the 1960's?

Posted in the Keyport Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
66 GTO

Marion, NC

#1 Feb 14, 2013
Like to swap remembrances if there is.
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Feb 14, 2013
Wetson's! Wow,I haven't been back to the neighborhood in years but I sure do rememeber Wetson's. For those unfamiliar it was a Hamburger joint in the parking lot of Airport Plaza. Use to be a hangout for teenagers to meet / park and show off their cars. If you ever watched the movie American Grafitti it was kind of like that. It was a hangout but no one ever caused any trouble. To be served you went up to an outside window, ordered your food and ate inside your car. I remember when it first opened in 63 or 64 - can't remember, but you could get a hamberger, fries and a coke for about 25 cents!
66 GTO

Marion, NC

#3 Feb 26, 2013
rayfromdover wrote:
Wetson's! Wow,I haven't been back to the neighborhood in years but I sure do rememeber Wetson's. For those unfamiliar it was a Hamburger joint in the parking lot of Airport Plaza. Use to be a hangout for teenagers to meet / park and show off their cars. If you ever watched the movie American Grafitti it was kind of like that. It was a hangout but no one ever caused any trouble. To be served you went up to an outside window, ordered your food and ate inside your car. I remember when it first opened in 63 or 64 - can't remember, but you could get a hamberger, fries and a coke for about 25 cents!
Used to get blasted on Rheingold chugamugs and party at green light cemetary in Middletown.A case of beer was $4.99!. Hazlet had a part time police force, only worked on weekends, police chief Bill Sparks ran a neon sign business during the week. Hazlet back in the 60's had some of the prettiest, sweetheart girls imaginable. There is one I dated the summer before I went to Vietnam, named Patricia, I still think of her 45 years later. Went there a kid of 19 and came back an old man, never saw the world the same way again. Sometimes it all seems like a dream, wish I could go back in time and tell some of those people how much they meant to me, all water under the bridge now. Tempis Fugit.
66 GTO

Marion, NC

#4 Feb 26, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>Used to get blasted on Rheingold chugamugs and party at green light cemetary in Middletown.A case of beer was $4.99!. Hazlet had a part time police force, only worked on weekends, police chief Bill Sparks ran a neon sign business during the week. Hazlet back in the 60's had some of the prettiest, sweetheart girls imaginable. There is one I dated the summer before I went to Vietnam, named Patricia, I still think of her 45 years later. Went there a kid of 19 and came back an old man, never saw the world the same way again. Sometimes it all seems like a dream, wish I could go back in time and tell some of those people how much they meant to me, all water under the bridge now. Tempis Fugit.
P.s You would'nt be Ray Brown would you?. S till remember Racer Brown.
Jester4283

Fishers, IN

#5 Mar 9, 2013
I graduated from Keyport HS in 68 so I remember wetsons very well. I believe they had a big round circular sign. It was indeed a place to be and plenty of people cruised through. Course that was when a dollar would buy you enough gas to cruise al night. Green Light Cemetery was a legend, also magnetic hill (Holmdel) and cruising down to Asbury Park, Keansburg and anywhere else there promised to be some action.
66 GTO

Burnsville, NC

#6 Mar 13, 2013
Jester4283 wrote:
I graduated from Keyport HS in 68 so I remember wetsons very well. I believe they had a big round circular sign. It was indeed a place to be and plenty of people cruised through. Course that was when a dollar would buy you enough gas to cruise al night. Green Light Cemetery was a legend, also magnetic hill (Holmdel) and cruising down to Asbury Park, Keansburg and anywhere else there promised to be some action.
Heard magnetic hill is still there although thrill hill was leveled years ago. You would take the hill at 90 miles an hour and would leave the road airborn for many yards, it was the site of a fatal crash when I was a senior in Keyport High, three teenagers 2 guys and a girl were instantly killed, when their car touched down it left the road and impacted a huge oak tree.
Jester4283

Fishers, IN

#7 Mar 13, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>Heard magnetic hill is still there although thrill hill was leveled years ago. You would take the hill at 90 miles an hour and would leave the road airborn for many yards, it was the site of a fatal crash when I was a senior in Keyport High, three teenagers 2 guys and a girl were instantly killed, when their car touched down it left the road and impacted a huge oak tree.
Hi GTO,

I once dated a girl that was injured in an accident on thrill hill. She had a pretty good scar on her face from the crash but in her case everyone survived. I do remember when they leveled that hill though. It was a big deal at the time.

I also remember parking up at the Atlantic Highlands which might have been the best parking place other than the drive in which was also a blast.
Jester4283

Fishers, IN

#8 Mar 13, 2013
Does anyone remember IE? That was interstate electronics in the Airport Plaza. For it's time it was quite a store with all kinds of stuff. I still remember using their vacuum tube tester. What a process that was. I worked at the Grand Union for several years also in the plaza. I really did my growing up in Keyport and I have to say it was a great place to do it in.
Raritan Grad

Windber, PA

#9 Mar 13, 2013
Not only did my buddy and I ride our bikes from Annapolis Drive to Wetson's my mom would buy our fanily a bag full when the use to run their 10 for $1.00.

I also remember IEI and yes, they had really cool stuff for electronic nut and car speakers were cheap as heck.
66 GTO

Burnsville, NC

#10 Mar 15, 2013
Jester4283 wrote:
Does anyone remember IE? That was interstate electronics in the Airport Plaza. For it's time it was quite a store with all kinds of stuff. I still remember using their vacuum tube tester. What a process that was. I worked at the Grand Union for several years also in the plaza. I really did my growing up in Keyport and I have to say it was a great place to do it in.
I grew up in Hazlet in the 1950's before the developement houses came in , it was all farm country. Nothing but tomato fields or peach orchards. I used to rabbit hunt with a .410 shotgun before I went to school in the morning. My ancestors on my mother's side were the Wallings who fought with Washinton's troops at the battle of Monmouth, some are buried at Old Tennant church who died in that fight. Yes it was a great place to grow up in and I look forward to the day when I can meet all my family face to face in the presence of Jesus Christ. All of my life I have been enthralled with things old and archaic, and believe we will be given the answers to all we seek. It has been a full and good life, A wife who is my partner and friend, 3 children, a beautiful Grandaughter. I'm ready to go home. Wetson's goodbye
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Mar 16, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>I grew up in Hazlet in the 1950's before the developement houses came in , it was all farm country. Nothing but tomato fields or peach orchards. I used to rabbit hunt with a .410 shotgun before I went to school in the morning. My ancestors on my mother's side were the Wallings who fought with Washinton's troops at the battle of Monmouth, some are buried at Old Tennant church who died in that fight. Yes it was a great place to grow up in and I look forward to the day when I can meet all my family face to face in the presence of Jesus Christ. All of my life I have been enthralled with things old and archaic, and believe we will be given the answers to all we seek. It has been a full and good life, A wife who is my partner and friend, 3 children, a beautiful Grandaughter. I'm ready to go home. Wetson's goodbye
Hey 66 GTO - If I remember my history of the area - Airport Plaza, where Wetson's was located, was known as "Wallings Air Field" before the shopping center was built. Do you have any memory of the Air Field? I grew up in Union Beach in the 50's /60s and we use to camp out near Lowes Drive in Theater on Hwy 35. Back then it was surrounded by woods and farmland. I left the area in 1969 at 19 to join the military - never been back. Is Wetson's still there???
Jester4283

Fishers, IN

#12 Mar 17, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
Like to swap remembrances if there is.
Being a keyport student I remember the rivalry between Raritan and Keyport. It was a lot of fun for sure. Every school needs one.

I lived in Keyport but had a lot of friends in Union Beach. When I finally turned 21 I remember some good times at the Colony Inn. Carmen was the owner and a nice guy.

When I see the current photos of the Ye Cottage Inn it makes me a little sad. I worked there as a bus boy when I was 16 or 17. Lots of good memories there.

During the summer there were plenty of memories to be made taking your girl to Sandy Hook for a day at the beach, or Wildwood if you had the time and money. Wildwood's beach was free at least but as I recall it was quite a hike from the boardwalk to the water on some hot sand.

Mike's Subs and Chicken Holiday in Keyport were staple foods.

GTO I remember the Tennet Cemetery very well. It was always very interesting to drive or walk through there.
66 GTO

Burnsville, NC

#13 Mar 18, 2013
rayfromdover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey 66 GTO - If I remember my history of the area - Airport Plaza, where Wetson's was located, was known as "Wallings Air Field" before the shopping center was built. Do you have any memory of the Air Field? I grew up in Union Beach in the 50's /60s and we use to camp out near Lowes Drive in Theater on Hwy 35. Back then it was surrounded by woods and farmland. I left the area in 1969 at 19 to join the military - never been back. Is Wetson's still there???
Yes I remember the airfield, if I remember correctly it was just a dirt field, looked like something from World War 1. I guess it was about 1956 when they started to build the plaza,I would have been around 8 years old. There were more than a few old double wing cropduster type aircraft there. Come to think of it ,it might have been earlier, because they started building the housing developments about 1955 I believe.
66 GTO

Burnsville, NC

#14 Mar 18, 2013
P.s. God yes I remember Mike's subs in Keyport, Mike was an Italian guy who took pride in his product. When you got a sub from Mike you got something worthwhile, not like the Subway franchise schlock that is called a Sub today. Mike made his subs on a whole loaf of Baldanza bread and did not skimp on anyhing, believe it or not it was also reasonably priced, Those days are long gone.
W Keansburg Guy

Spring Hill, FL

#15 Mar 21, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>Used to get blasted on Rheingold chugamugs and party at green light cemetary in Middletown.A case of beer was $4.99!. Hazlet had a part time police force, only worked on weekends, police chief Bill Sparks ran a neon sign business during the week. Hazlet back in the 60's had some of the prettiest, sweetheart girls imaginable. There is one I dated the summer before I went to Vietnam, named Patricia, I still think of her 45 years later. Went there a kid of 19 and came back an old man, never saw the world the same way again. Sometimes it all seems like a dream, wish I could go back in time and tell some of those people how much they meant to me, all water under the bridge now. Tempis Fugit.
Boys you people bring back Olddddddddd Memoriest about Wetsons. Was ther in late 60's . Iwent to Keyport Hs & Raritan HS and also in Vietnam . Stayed in W Keansburg till 2000 . By the way i remember Sparks
W Keansburg Guy

Spring Hill, FL

#16 Mar 21, 2013
Wetsons was the place besides Keansburg and Fun city . What was the name of the candy store across from Keyport HS
Gwen

Norristown, PA

#18 Sep 9, 2013
I remember Wetson's and Interstate Electronics fondly. I was in a Drum & Bugle Corps (the Firebirds) in the mid 60's that used to play on weekends at Coney Island and a bunch of Wetson's locations. I remember meeting "Sonny Wetson", their Ronald McDonald knockoff, many times. I was too young at the time to realize there was more than one "Sonny". I liked their food, it was better than McDonald's.

My Dad used to take me to Interstate Electronics, one of my earliest tomboy memories. I built several of the electronics kits they offered, with my Dad's help. It was one of my favorite places, along with Lafayette Electronics.
Toodles

West Palm Beach, FL

#19 Oct 20, 2013
rayfromdover wrote:
Did I smell WETSON'S?!?! Hi Ray!! ;) Ahh the days when fast-food hamburgers were actually hamburgers! Yes, Wetson's did have an AmGrafitti flair!
Toodles

West Palm Beach, FL

#20 Oct 20, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>P.s You would'nt be Ray Brown would you?. S till remember Racer Brown.
Ray Brown died a couple years before the date of the above question.
longagoandfarawa y

Matawan, NJ

#21 Oct 22, 2013
66 GTO wrote:
<quoted text>Heard magnetic hill is still there although thrill hill was leveled years ago. You would take the hill at 90 miles an hour and would leave the road airborn for many yards, it was the site of a fatal crash when I was a senior in Keyport High, three teenagers 2 guys and a girl were instantly killed, when their car touched down it left the road and impacted a huge oak tree.
it was called thrill hill and down the road into holmdel the other hill was gravity hill.
they leveled thrill hill years ago
the bridge is still there and still have the dents and dings from car roofs crashing into it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials help break ground for new $51 million... Fri the taxpayers 2
union beach (Apr '06) Dec 17 Sasha 535
keansburg cops are joke Dec 7 mark 2
I'm trying to contact Ron Henry Morel Nov 27 Frank Gannucci 3
Mens softball league? (Jun '09) Nov 26 Algrea 11
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Nov 21 Cathy Keansburg 60
No excuse for inaction on emissions Nov '14 kristywalls 1

Keyport News Video

Keyport Dating
Find my Match