Keyport School District Resignations
Teachers

Europe

#21 May 30, 2012
In my country I was trained teacher as well, children of America are too soft! They sit and texting on their gameboy and their MTV. So ridiculous. Children in my country can read by first grade, your little brat children are lucky if they can tie their shoes by the time they are 15! No wonder your children falling behind rest of world. Fat and lazy, like their dumb parents. Greatest generation is turning in their graves, so many whiner parents on this board complaining about school district and do nothing about it. Keep complaining and enjoy your Big Mac fat people!
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#22 May 31, 2012
Teachers wrote:
In my country I was trained teacher as well, children of America are too soft! They sit and texting on their gameboy and their MTV. So ridiculous. Children in my country can read by first grade, your little brat children are lucky if they can tie their shoes by the time they are 15! No wonder your children falling behind rest of world. Fat and lazy, like their dumb parents. Greatest generation is turning in their graves, so many whiner parents on this board complaining about school district and do nothing about it. Keep complaining and enjoy your Big Mac fat people!
Very much off topic. Sounds like a teacher who hates or resents Americans. Wouldn't want this bitter person teaching my child. They exhibit very poor english skills.
Teacher

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#23 Jun 6, 2012
justme wrote:
Now we can add the vice principal of the high school. Cissy you can make that an even 20 with more to come I'm sure.
She took a promotion she is not leaving... Check the facts before you go on a rant
Educator

Manasquan, NJ

#24 Jun 6, 2012
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
She took a promotion she is not leaving... Check the facts before you go on a rant
Yes, but she is completely unqualified for the promotion. What datat shows that she improved student learning or teacher practice during her 7 months as vice principal? Absolutely none. And now this unproven individual, with less than 10 months of administrative experience is going to have the second position in the district?
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#25 Jun 7, 2012
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
She took a promotion she is not leaving... Check the facts before you go on a rant
Teacher if you took the time to read the postings you would see that "justme" made an honest mistake. HIs or her information was that Ms. Jones was leaving the position of Vice Principal. Further in the postings on May 21, more information was given that Ms. Jones was changing positions. Don't judge a book by its cover, read the entire book.

Since: Jun 12

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#26 Jun 11, 2012
Look at the school size....anyone can see Keyport does not to maintain a building that size for the amount of students. We need to bus the kids to a better school..mandatory. Sell the building..develop into nice condos...use the sale money towards the budget for the elementry schools. When the pupils are high school age they should be ready for a better high school.They DESERVE IT! This may ruffle a lot of feathers..but sometimes really hard choices have to be made in order to progress. I know of at least 5 really nice families that would not consider Keyport as their home because of the schools. Until some REAL changes are made we will continue this vicious cycle. Lover all you kids and parents..dont dismiss readical change..embrace it.
Dave77

Newark, NJ

#27 Jun 12, 2012
Sell the schools and build condos. The reason New Jersey ranks as one of the worst school systems in the country is the political correctness and lack accountability. You don't close shop and ship your kids to other schools. You demand that you get what you paid for. You look at people in their eyes and you tell them, enough is enough with trying to please everyone garbage. You take a stand and fix the school system. You demand a better learn enviornment for your children. With the amount of taxes paid in this state we should have students at the top 1 percentile in the country. Add that to the defeated attitudes I read here and the lack of personal responsibility for underachieving students and you have a failing system. Just like with current political elections you have to show you're awake and watching. You have to make a difference and stop the whinning.
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#28 Jun 12, 2012
Adding one more - John Matarese, Custodian, retirement.
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#29 Jun 14, 2012
For those who may not know - Cecil Bright is now a member of the BOA taking over the position of Dan Smith.

Since: Jun 12

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#30 Jun 15, 2012
Dave, fundamentally I totally agree. But dealing in the present momment...fact is families will NOT move into Keyport because of the school system. And even you have to admit the size of the school for the enrollment is out of whack? Youre 100% right about the political correctness...but the ranking is the ranking and it hurts our kids when they get into college and have to take all the basics again. Truly is a catch 22. We need a benefactor like Newark! Unfortunately our quaint little town is over looked.
justme

Fair Lawn, NJ

#31 Jun 15, 2012
Sab But True wrote:
Dave, fundamentally I totally agree. But dealing in the present momment...fact is families will NOT move into Keyport because of the school system. And even you have to admit the size of the school for the enrollment is out of whack? Youre 100% right about the political correctness...but the ranking is the ranking and it hurts our kids when they get into college and have to take all the basics again. Truly is a catch 22. We need a benefactor like Newark! Unfortunately our quaint little town is over looked.


What is your issue regarding the size of the school for the enrollment. There are 400 kids in that school. The issue with Keyport HS is how the money is being spent. When you have an administration that is more concerned with how the school looks on the outside as opposed to what is going on in the inside there is a problem. When you have guidance counselors who can't guide students through the college admission process there is a big problem.(The majority of the students are shuffled off to Brookdale for "13th grade", no real attempts are made to help these kids get the scholarships that are out there.) And when you are sending 32 students out of district for their education rather than educating them in district at a cost of over a million dollars (look at the June 13 agenda) there is really a problem. One million dollars!?! How many teachers or aides can be hired for that amount? We do not need a benefactor -- more money is not the answer -- knowing how to spend the money you have available is paramount.
Dave77

Newark, NJ

#32 Jun 16, 2012
I've recently had the opportunity to get closer involved in the school system and doing my homework on the laws and rules that school districts have to adhere to. The political correctness that runs our schools is staggering. The amount of useless garbage that handcuff teachers and schools almost prevents teaching to be done. Illegals can't be denied access. Discipline can't be enforced. Parents treating schools like baby sitters. Lousy forced curriculims that don't teach. The school doesn't need to be scrapped, just the system. Parents need to parents and take responsibility again. Kids need to be held accountable for the lack of respect they give. The whole thing is a mess.
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#33 Jun 16, 2012
There are so many problems, can the school be turned around and saved? Keyport parents are very involved in comparison to other schools where the children are bussed in. There are many problems. I like the point that "justme" brought up --- Brookdale being the 13th grade. It's true most, if not all, the students who go to Brookdale have to take remedial classes --- why? The guidance counselors are useless, except for the few chosen students they cater to.
justme

Fair Lawn, NJ

#34 Jun 16, 2012
Dave77 -- every school district must adhere to the same rules and yet every school district is not a failing one. Illegals can be denied access if they do not have the proper residency in the district. Discipline can be enforced, respect should be taught from elementary school on. It is not the lousy forced curriculums, what about the lousy teachers employed by the district (not all of them are lousy, but those that are should be removed -- and that does not mean simply shuffling them from the high school to the Central school and then back again.) Yes, the whole thing is a mess, but I think blaming the laws and the rules is a cop out when other schools can be successful with the same limits.
Dave77

Newark, NJ

#35 Jun 16, 2012
I disagree about the illegal thing. No one stops them. I know of several towns with the same problem and no one touches it at all. The say it straight out so that's really a dead issue until the public forces things. Discipline and respect begin at home. Children today have no respect for teachers, police you name it. The teachers have no power to control the kids. Again, I've spoken to several teachers of different age groups in different towns and it all comes back to how the parents respond to the issues. Together things work out. parents in denial about their childrens behavior handcuff teachers and schools. New Jersey is one of the weakest states in the country on how they handle these issues. When we the public finally put political correctness aside and start handling these problems then the issues can fade. Until then we cannot rely on government or schools to fix the problems.

Since: May 11

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#36 Jun 17, 2012
As a product of the Keyport School System from the late 80s I can speak only of my experience and where I am today.

Keyport was even then not held in high regard when compared to other towns educational systems in the surrounding area. We were always behind in math, reading etc. When computers became of age we were slow to adopt a program compared to other towns.

As a result, this forced me to attend computer classes in a program called the Matawan student enrichment program over several summers which I paid for by moving lawns and cleaning yards.

I was not an A student, far from it. "2.0 and go" was my motto back then. The guidance counselor at the time suggested the Army as my only option for any future.I rejected this,went to college and obtained an engineering degree (painfully I might add).

Today I still live in the Borough of Keyport and earn a six figure income. I was able to do this because the Keyport School system taught me what I needed to know and I had the drive to obtain the rest. The key take away here is that school (like life) is what you make of it. Graduating from Princeton does not gaurantee success and graduating from Keyport does not sentence one to failure.

Clearly the Keyport school system needs to improve greatly (as it did then too). One key difference from then to now I notice is the high turnonver of staff. Back then teachers were there for decades and it was rare if one left. This situation needs to be fixed if we are ever to have a quality education system.

Since: May 12

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

#37 Jun 17, 2012
Cissy, please check YOUR facts! Sadly John is very ill, and several others have very valid excuses!!! You go on complaining about the district... SO.. I hope you are running for Board of Ed! Instead of complaining, do something! Do you attend school functions? Do you go to board meetings? Yes some teachers have left for money and yes some may have left for work environment issues, hell, did they get upset because maybe somebody called them out on their lack of work ethic? I really wish I knew all the reasons, but I blame the parents who are NOT involved in their kids education! Let parents be imbarassed by having to come to school every day because Jr's homework isn't done, or because little Janie told the teacher off in 2nd grade.... who the hell wants to work in THAT environment??? Give those teachers and admin people a little credit! AND make parents a little more responsible for their lack of parenting!!!!
Cissy

Hawthorne, NJ

#38 Jun 17, 2012
jersey at heart wrote:
Cissy, please check YOUR facts! Sadly John is very ill, and several others have very valid excuses!!! You go on complaining about the district... SO.. I hope you are running for Board of Ed! Instead of complaining, do something! Do you attend school functions? Do you go to board meetings? Yes some teachers have left for money and yes some may have left for work environment issues, hell, did they get upset because maybe somebody called them out on their lack of work ethic? I really wish I knew all the reasons, but I blame the parents who are NOT involved in their kids education! Let parents be imbarassed by having to come to school every day because Jr's homework isn't done, or because little Janie told the teacher off in 2nd grade.... who the hell wants to work in THAT environment??? Give those teachers and admin people a little credit! AND make parents a little more responsible for their lack of parenting!!!!
If you are referring to John Matarese, I only stated that he was retiring, his personal life is none of my business. I have always felt education to be important and that is why I am concerned. Maybe I will run for the board of ed, or am I already there. I disagree that parents are to blame, most parents in Keyport are involved and care about their child's education on a daily basis and not just on the nights the board meets. I believe most to the problems start at the top and work down to the teachers and others.

Since: Jun 12

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#39 Jun 17, 2012
keyport kid makes some very good points. I too was able to graduate from KHS and succeed albiet with nothing to thank KHS [email protected], your findings are very sad indeed. I think the only action required now is to totally revamp with a short, mid term and long term plan. If the costs of bussing the kids to another school is that great...maybe there should be NO option for borough kids and get the parents more involved. Since this is an on going problem..maybe the upper management needs to be called to the carpet or replaced with a new "team" with a strategic plan that focusses on policies and procedures for the students as well as the parents. My heart breaks for all the wasted opportunities the students are missing out on.
justme

Fair Lawn, NJ

#40 Jul 9, 2012
I don't even care to waste my time trying to figure out the official count anymore but another addition to the list -- the Director of Guidance is leaving. I have lost track of how many Directors of Guidance have left the district in the past 5 years. I believe this might be the 5th if you count the one guy who was there as an interim director at one point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Busting the seams Oct 27 Taco king 1
red oak grill Oct '17 owner for two years 1
Review: Foley & Assoc - Peter Foley CPA (Jun '10) Oct '17 Jude 3
x firechief is a racist Oct '17 kelly g 1
News Here are the best places to live in New Jersey Oct '17 kelly g 2
News Before start of trial, Menendez says, 'I will b... Sep '17 Anybody Anywhere 11
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Sep '17 Bluesy51 73

Keyport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keyport Mortgages