.......back in the day''

.......back in the day''

Posted in the Keyport Forum

king

Sarasota, FL

#1 Oct 15, 2011
Resided in Lockport as a kid and left to join the Army in '62. Never really returned though I had family members near by that I did visit from time to time.
The Aero Marine property was a good place for duck hunting in the winter. Walked down the old rail road spur to the end then went out to the point where we had a blind.
The town has stayed remarkably the same as back then. I found my old home on First Street using the Google Map program. There was a little candy store next to the freight station where we used to hang out in the evening. Across from there was Robert's Grocery.
If we went uptown we usually wound up at the Cup and Saucer which was down one flight and located near Broad along Front Street.
In the summer a great place to hang was the airfield. Walling's owned it and it is the site of the airport plaza. Remember the Dugan Bakery sign at the end of the field along the high way?
My uncle had a plane at the field and he and his buddies were usually there in good weather to entertain us kids with their daring flights off the grass strip.
Crabbing was pretty good back then and we used to walk along the sedges with a bushel basket floating in an inner tube and a scap net. A good place to catch snappers was off the old dock at the foot of Prospect Street. Low tide was a slog through the mud and high tide was neck deep in order to reach the old barge that had settled into the bottom and was used as our fishing pier.

Norman Curry was the mayor and Roy Sproul was the Chief of Police. Doctor Thompson took care of most illness and along with Doctors Rudnick and Olini I guess we were lucky to have access to so many doctors in Keyport. I think offic visits were around five bucks.

My extended family was large and scattered all over Keyport so there was always a place to stop in or cousins to hang out with.
Many of the merchants along Front Street were known to our families and we knew them as friends in some cases.

The first real job I ever had was working at Otto's Hardware at the bottom of the hill near Division Street. Later I worked at DuPont in Parlin until I went in to the service.

I would like to see others from this era share some of their memories.
KeyportNJ

Little Ferry, NJ

#2 Oct 15, 2011
Go on Facebook and search Keyport NJ. Don't waste your time on this site. Great stories by the way. You like the FB page much better
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Oct 15, 2011
Hi King from Sarasoto, Fl: Check out the bayshoregtalk group. Stories, pictures and and discussion of Keyport / Union beach of the past:

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/bayshoretalk/
seaaira

Sarasota, FL

#4 Oct 28, 2011
thank you for the suggestion.

If you are interested in that era and growing up in Keyport in the 50s I will be happy to be in touch with you. I tried the Facebook thing and find that there are way too many 'bells and whistles'.

I am not a social type and do much better when the communication is better controlled than what the site offers. But that is another story.

Keyport was a good town to grow up in. Though it retained all the rural atmosphere it still was close to urban areas. When we started to drive we went to Staten Island for beer; Union for the Adventurer Car Hop; Perth Amboy for the girls; and Asbury Park for the beach and boardwalk.

I left for the service and never returned. I have fond memories but I am OK with not having gone back.
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Oct 30, 2011
Hi Seaaira. Somewhere on this site is "union Beach" with approximately 450 comments. If you click on it and read some of the stories starting on about page 9 you will discover how we developed the bayshoretalk group (blue link above in my previous message) The bayshore group was quite active in 2008 then kind of dwindled off to only a few comments in 2011. However, if you join the site you will enjoy some of the old and current pictures of the area, as well as the stories. I actually grew up in Union Beach with the 1960s as being "my decade". I did live in Keyport for a few years after Union Beach. Beer in Staten Island going over the "outter bridge" crossing, trips down to Seaside heights to check out the girls are fond memories. Like you, I left the area to join the military and never returned. I'm trying to get new people /discussions on bayshoretalk. Myself and and a young lady (She'll thank me for saying that) who now lives in Florida "toodles" are the moderators for the site. You can remain completely anonymous if you don't use your name in your email address. The site is safe and discussions are about the areas of Keyport, Union Beach, Hazlet, and periodically Keansburg. You can quit at any time if you don't like the site. It is restricted to members only so not everyone can read. Take Care Ray
seaaira wrote:
thank you for the suggestion.
If you are interested in that era and growing up in Keyport in the 50s I will be happy to be in touch with you. I tried the Facebook thing and find that there are way too many 'bells and whistles'.
I am not a social type and do much better when the communication is better controlled than what the site offers. But that is another story.
Keyport was a good town to grow up in. Though it retained all the rural atmosphere it still was close to urban areas. When we started to drive we went to Staten Island for beer; Union for the Adventurer Car Hop; Perth Amboy for the girls; and Asbury Park for the beach and boardwalk.
I left for the service and never returned. I have fond memories but I am OK with not having gone back.
KeyportNJ

Little Ferry, NJ

#6 Oct 31, 2011
I don't know what to many bells and whistles means but as of now, The Keyport NJ group has 1,599 members and 1,875 photos to view. 90% are vintage views with great stories attached. Hope you decide to give it a look. A lot of work has gone into making it a great page to be part of.
j king

Sarasota, FL

#7 Nov 10, 2011
rayfromdover wrote:
Hi Seaaira. Somewhere on this site is "union Beach" with approximately 450 comments. If you click on it and read some of the stories starting on about page 9 you will discover how we developed the bayshoretalk group (blue link above in my previous message) The bayshore group was quite active in 2008 then kind of dwindled off to only a few comments in 2011. However, if you join the site you will enjoy some of the old and current pictures of the area, as well as the stories. I actually grew up in Union Beach with the 1960s as being "my decade". I did live in Keyport for a few years after Union Beach. Beer in Staten Island going over the "outter bridge" crossing, trips down to Seaside heights to check out the girls are fond memories. Like you, I left the area to join the military and never returned. I'm trying to get new people /discussions on bayshoretalk. Myself and and a young lady (She'll thank me for saying that) who now lives in Florida "toodles" are the moderators for the site. You can remain completely anonymous if you don't use your name in your email address. The site is safe and discussions are about the areas of Keyport, Union Beach, Hazlet, and periodically Keansburg. You can quit at any time if you don't like the site. It is restricted to members only so not everyone can read. Take Care Ray
<quoted text>
Ray. Thanks for the reply. I had not checked the site for awhile and was surprised to find your very instructive response.
I guess as we get older we let our minds wander back......It truly was a wonderful time even if we did not take full advantage of it. At least I failed in that regard. I ran from Keyport as soon as I was old enough and guess what? There was nothing to be found...now I wish I was back there. Maybe one of these days I will find my way back. There is still extended family there and it would be fun to see the old town. If you would like to communicate my email is [email protected]
rayfromdover

Newark, DE

#8 Nov 10, 2011
j king wrote:
<quoted text>
Ray. Thanks for the reply. I had not checked the site for awhile and was surprised to find your very instructive response.
I guess as we get older we let our minds wander back......It truly was a wonderful time even if we did not take full advantage of it. At least I failed in that regard. I ran from Keyport as soon as I was old enough and guess what? There was nothing to be found...now I wish I was back there. Maybe one of these days I will find my way back. There is still extended family there and it would be fun to see the old town. If you would like to communicate my email is [email protected]
Here's a transcript (2008) from the bayshoretalk group about the cup & saucer:

Being on the fire department sometimes give me access to areas
most people can't. Most members on here remember the Cup and Saucer,the basemant hangout on Front St. The building that the C&S was in, is next to an alley way to the left, now I don't know if vehicles ever were suppose to use it as a right of way but last week a truck decided to give it a go. He made it thru, taking out a bicycle some garbage, but the reason the fire department was there at 2am was that he also ripped the gas meter off the building causing a major release of natural gas in the area. Evacuation's were needed for the area. Thank goodness this didn't reach a source of ignition. After the gas was shut of we entered the basement of the old C&S. Everthing is gone except the original paneling on the wall. I was among some older members that wanted to take a look. They stared pointing out where the counters, juke box, pinball machines had be located. They all enjoyed talking about the days of hanging with their friends. Soon it was 3am and time to go home. Those who weren't allowed to go to the Cup & Saucer because the "BAD" kids were in there should know that many are outstanding citizens now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Affordable Computer Repair In Hazlet. Jun 15 Roger 1
brooklands dotcom weybridge uk May 30 Yom 2
Anybody out there that used to Hangout at Wetso... (Feb '13) May '16 Denise overneck 41
Review: Tiffany's Vintage Closet (Mar '15) May '16 Natasha 6
boycott brooklands weybridge, surrey uk May '16 simple guy 2
Hells angels harming and murdering women , chi... (Jan '09) May '16 Big mac 38
News Dr PC Repair & Web Design Currently Offering On... May '16 owner for two years 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keyport Mortgages