Sign sparks debate in Keyport

Sign sparks debate in Keyport

There are 21 comments on the The Courier story from Aug 2, 2008, titled Sign sparks debate in Keyport. In it, The Courier reports that:

A taxpayer spoke and a councilwoman rebutted. Such continues the ongoing spat between Ed Burlew, owner of Magic Touch Construction Company, Inc., and Keyport Borough Councilwoman Christian Bolte.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave77

AOL

#1 Aug 2, 2008
Another important matter that deters the attention of mayor and council. We have so many issues that require real attention that to have this waste town time is pretty ridiculous. Our taxes are rising, you have to speak spanish to cross the street by the 7-11, the waterfront still not done, our water prices are the same as if I bought gold and on and on. Obviously all of the problems I just mentioned never seem to make it at a town meeting, but god forbid you hang a sign in your store that someone doesn't like and you get full attention. Maybe I should a hang an "English" sign in the area across from the 7-11 saying, "These people are breaking the law". Maybe someone will take that seriously and show some concern.
Officials or Children

Downingtown, PA

#2 Aug 3, 2008
Although the sign in question seems like a political statement, it is really just an argument between two groups, not people. Mr. Burlew represents a group of businessmen who are opposed to the Keyport Business Alliance - but also happen to be in control of it. Since they seized control of the KBA thier mission has been to make it a non-existant. The KBA have cut back on events in the hopes that they can eventually disband the Alliance, therefore get the KBA tax repealed, thus saving themselves money. The majority of the group that Mr. Burlew heads, own large portions of commercial property, but do not operate businesses on these properties. The main focus of these gentlemen is to collect rent, not to see a thriving comercial district. It is this thinking that depleted the business district of its shops in the early 80's, when these people made thier money, unfortunately they care little about others.
Dave77

AOL

#3 Aug 3, 2008
O of C your thoughts are right on track. Unfortunately I do not see the comraderie between business and political leaders which is needed to promote and move our town forward. The petty bickering you hear about in town gets so juvenial it's amazing when anything gets done. The sign we're talking about is inside Mr Burlew's business. So he has every right to hang it. From what I saw and heard it did not deter anyone from coming down to front street and I'm sure won't in the future either. What's needed in Keyport is some backbone. The squid council and mayor allow these petty debates to go on and no one runs things with a strong hand. Like most attornies Mayor Bergen spends too much time analyzing things from all sides and uses "Political Correctness" to guide his decisions. Enough of that crap! We nee leadership and strength in Keyport. We need to clean up the illegal immigrant problem in town, prepare for the influx of gang activities and band together to get our open projects finished. Easy if someone steps up and acts like a leader!
Officials or Children

Downingtown, PA

#4 Aug 3, 2008
I agree with you, Mr. Burlew has every right to put in his window whatever he wants, and as with your original post it is not a news-worthy item. My reply is to just point out the pettyness of such a sign. Mr. Burlew only put the sign up because the event wasn't a KBA event. The event was set up Council member Ms. Bolte. She has been the most outspoken against the new direction of the KBA, and took it upon herself to set up the event. Instead of hanging a childish sign, perhaps Mr. Burlew & Co. should have took her intiative, and tried to include the KBA - unless of course they weren't allowed to participate, after all this bickering is extremely childlike.
Dave77

AOL

#5 Aug 3, 2008
Absolutely, its pettiness like that that has hamstringed this town to move forward. Why would any business want to open in a town that they know doesn't work well internally. I just think with all of the problems the town has and has not acted on, this should take a back seat. No real harm was done, it didn't deter anyone and everyone knows its childish.

“Peace Through Force!!”

Since: Aug 07

Northeast!!

#6 Aug 4, 2008
Dave77 wrote:
Another important matter that deters the attention of mayor and council. We have so many issues that require real attention that to have this waste town time is pretty ridiculous. Our taxes are rising, you have to speak spanish to cross the street by the 7-11, the waterfront still not done, our water prices are the same as if I bought gold and on and on. Obviously all of the problems I just mentioned never seem to make it at a town meeting, but god forbid you hang a sign in your store that someone doesn't like and you get full attention. Maybe I should a hang an "English" sign in the area across from the 7-11 saying, "These people are breaking the law". Maybe someone will take that seriously and show some concern.
Personally, I do like Keyport. But, what I see is that it appears that You all have given up and have allowed trash and other assorted low-lives come in and take over a beautiful little town and run it into the ground. Come on people, suck it up, unite and reclaim what is yours!! Let me come down there, give me the power and blessing of the community and I WILL crush these human roaches and low-life scabs!! Ya need AMERICANS WITH GUTS-NOT GUTLESS AMERICANS!! In this situation you are either a sheep or a wolf!!! What's it gonna be? Take back whats yours, or just hand it over to the human garbage, then go cry and whine behind closed doors, hoping they will leave you alone.. Ain't gonna happen..
Keyport

Central Islip, NY

#7 Aug 7, 2008
Ed Burlew is the reason this town hasn't finished the waterfront twenty years ago and today. He is also responsible for bringing in a half way house in his building with weekly rentals. Mayor and Council have lawsuits filed against them all the time for trying to move forward. Know the real enemy and try to understand how a negative sign ina window does nothing positive for a town that is suffereing. Tell him to resign from the KBA board and he can do whatever junk he pleases while pooping all over Keyport.

“Peace Through Force!!”

Since: Aug 07

Northeast!!

#8 Aug 7, 2008
When I was a kid, we spent time at Keyport. I liked the place then, then after moving, military, etc. I returned to see what it was like and to re-aquaint myself with the area with the thought of relocating. I was dissapointed at how the town seemed to slide down hill. What happened?? I am still contemplating a move there as I love the shore and it's fishing,I think the place has possibilities, Just have to organize, take out the trash and clean up the town!! It could be a great place again with co-ordinated effort!!
Officials or Children

Downingtown, PA

#9 Aug 7, 2008
In response to 'Keyport' above, and Mr. Burlew's halfway house, where is it located?
Keyport

Central Islip, NY

#10 Aug 8, 2008
It is above the Bulkhead Bar and Grill. He owns the whole building. Check out the people walking in and out- nice "weekly" renters they are!
Zimpapa

Montville, NJ

#11 Aug 8, 2008
Is that where the people who mill around on Front Street during the day are coming from?
Keyport

Central Islip, NY

#12 Aug 8, 2008
You got it. Better watch out when you are walking around, you might trip over the garbage or get hit with a flying cigarette butt. Ed Burlew wants it just the way it is and will do whatever it takes to keep it that way. Wait until he runs for council even though he doesn't live in town. He took over the KBA to smash it and now he plans to take over the council too. He is buying everyone he can get his hands on now. Can't wait to see his positive results with the government after what he did to the downtown already.
Officials or Children

Downingtown, PA

#13 Aug 8, 2008
Actually, many of the people who 'mill around' live in Fisher's Boarding Home' across from the Cornucopia diner.
Keyport

Central Islip, NY

#14 Aug 9, 2008
No. They usually don't make it past hanging out at the 7-11 or Country Farms asking for a dollar. We all know who they are.
Zimpapa

Montville, NJ

#15 Aug 9, 2008
That's what I thought. I live near Fisher's, so I'm pretty familiar with the faces. They aren't the people hanging out on Front Street.
Dave77

AOL

#16 Aug 10, 2008
Hey, we're all missing the problems in Keyport. Ridiculous "Political Correctness" has strangled this town. No one is brave enough to deal with the Illegal Immigrant problem, the mentioned half way housing, the loitering by 7-11 and a host of other quality of life issues for the residents of Keyport. The sign did little but show the mentality of the people we're dealing with. It was trivial at best. The other issues that keep getting blocked are the real problems. Keyport could have a beautiful waterfront with a park and a killer view. These people that think they run things need to be shown they "Do Not". It's my mission for the next election to bring to light all of the spineless jellyfish politicians who will not act on the wishes of the "LEGAL RESIDENTS".
Keyport

Central Islip, NY

#17 Aug 10, 2008
I am totally with you. You should stand up and confront them at council meetings where they can make no excuses and be forced to be accountable. Be careful who you vote for though because Ed Burlew is funding the republican ticket while he tells everyone how they are his puppets who will do everything he wants. So far he has been right. He and Merla plan to take back the town together. No waterfront park, slum rentals, building permits for all of their buddies- you name it. Welcome to Keyport!
Dave77

AOL

#18 Aug 11, 2008
It figures in a year that the Republicans couldn't buy a win that these idiots would vote Republican. After 8 years of Bush in the White House the Republicans have no chance. A Penquin could run under the Democratic ticket and win election. Of course that could all change if the idiot council members don't start acting on the behalf of the Legal residents of Keyport. I've talked to over 100 townsfolk and we have all said the same thing. If these issues aren't corrected we are going to push to have the entire council removed at election time. The Mayor would come next. He didn't win by that much this time anyway. A candidate who will promise to do our bidding would win easily here. Let's see what happens!
West Front Street

Central Islip, NY

#19 Aug 12, 2008
Hey- heard that Bolte chick had a window smashed out this weekend. That is what you get when you grow some balls in this town. Burlew and the cronies keep us all in line or else. Forget anyone doing anything about them now because they will burn down your place while the cops watch. I am outta here! Ya ain't gonna find a candidate to do your bidding- they are all bought by Burlew one way or another.
Dave77

AOL

#20 Aug 12, 2008
I'm definately from the old school. The nicest guy you ever want to meet. However, If you come to my home and attempt to harm me or my family your family better have a body bag ready. If they ever find you that is! This post has run it's course. It started about a stupid sign and has grown into other things. My last post here. We the people in Keyport will take care of these issues. I've yet to meet anyone in town that intimidates me, the Merla's and Burlew's included

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jon Bon Jovi (Mar '06) Aug 9 APLIVESLOUD 180
Just moved to Matawan (Mar '09) Jul '16 Jpz 20
News Vote: Where's the Best Pizza in Matawan and Abe... (Aug '12) Jul '16 Mama mia 16
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Jul '16 Old as Dirt 70
Review: Affordable Computer Repair In Hazlet. Jun '16 Roger 1
brooklands dotcom weybridge uk May '16 Yom 2
Anybody out there that used to Hangout at Wetso... (Feb '13) May '16 Denise overneck 41

Keyport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keyport Mortgages