Ed From Toms River

Clark, NJ

#21 Oct 12, 2006
Thanks Larry...

...and anyone else out there that may have some old pictures.

PS Larry do you have the book "Images of America - Union Beach"

If not I think you would really get a kick out of it.
Ed From Toms River

Clark, NJ

#22 Oct 16, 2006
Thanks Larry,

I've made a contact in Union Beach Library and they have a few old boxes of photos. I'll be going next week to see what they have. If there ar any good one's I'll scan them and sent them out.

Thanks again

Ed
Chris Taylor

Garner, NC

#23 Dec 22, 2006
I moved from Union Beach in 1969 when I was 7.I was born in Red Bank and lived on 8th Street.My mother's family lived on Bayview "The Whiteheads".We visited family there every year for about 10 years and then only when someone passed away.I spent most of my time there at the Union Hose Fire Company with Butch Whitehead who earned life membership there and passed away a full member.Having grown up around the firehouse and the Colony and Anchor Inn with him and the other firefighters telling stories I knew what I was destin to be.I have been a fireman from birth.I started as a volunteer at 15 and was a paid fireman with the same N.C. Department at 18.I left it for a hitch in the Navy as a SEAL and never lost the fond memories of the beach of the fine men and women there.I have dedicated my life to the volunteer fire departments and to doing search and rescue where ever I lived with the hope of returning home to Union Beach to join Union Hose and to continue as I promised Vic when he and I last spoke at the funeral of my uncle to keep the tradition alive.I inherited Butch's 25 year ring and wore it proudly until it was lost while myself and my Germanshepherd were doing search and rescue at the World Trade Centers.The one main regret is that I never got the pictures of the antique Mack pumper that was at Union Hose or the old battered black and orange helmet that was promised to me that were my uncles.I have even to this day painted my Cairns helmet with the black and orange that was the trademark of Union Hose through out the years.I just want to let everyone who I had the honor to be honored by hearing and discussing the experiances of the dedication of putting yours on the line so that others may live that you men and women have made a difference in my life and in the lives of all who I have hopefully made a difference in their life.If not for you I would have not turned out like I did or have been able to have such fond memories of the greatest place and people in the world.
joan709

AOL

#24 Dec 26, 2006
Well my house should be ready to move in to in feb just wating for the gas company to run the gas lines so i can put heat in I think i moved out in 76 or 77 .hope its a good place to live .One of the boys that was a kid when i was there is cheif of police now hope there are still a few other people that i knew also hope there things for seinors to doWorked in Yea Cottage inn back then also town and country and a few that are gone U.B has come a long way since there from the looks of it J Priola
frank w

Hackettstown, NJ

#25 Jan 1, 2007
welcome home Joan. You will be happy in Union Beach. Join the seniors club at Boro Hall they have a lot of activities.
Hollywood from Pensacola

Pensacola, FL

#26 Jan 8, 2007
Hey, this is great. Have not been to the site in awhile but glad I checked back. First, my Aunt Aggie married my Uncle Frank Spafford. They lived in Belford for years and relocated to Hollywood, Florida about forty years ago. I remember hanging at the sandbar. New owners, Bobby "Bosco" Belmonte. My Uncle Mandy (Dad's brother) owned a bar right next to the Sandbar called Mandy's Den. It is no longer there. Do you remember Bobby Provinti. He owned that gas station on the corner of Florence/Union avenue? My family still lives there if anyone wants to know anything about the place. Larry you probably know alot of my relatives.
Hollywood from Pensacola

Pensacola, FL

#27 Jan 8, 2007
Joan, who is the Chief of Police in Union Beach? When I lived there it was old man Joe nappi then his son. The police station is right next to my house that my brother Kevin lives in. It's a great town. I still have lots of friends and family their. I hope you let all us Beachers in on what is going on in our home town. I'm off to the Bahamas for a week.
Donovan

Ryde, CA

#28 Jan 9, 2007
Whoa! Union Beach? I grew up in Hazlet, went to St. Ann's (Class of 1967) and my first job was on the Keansburg boardwalk. Occasionally we went to Keyport to shop for Boy Scout equipment and for movies at the Strand before they showed "Deep Throat". I swear I know nothing about Union Beach except that Holy Family Church and a Dairy Queen were on Rt. 36. It was the space between Keansburg and Keyport
Left Hazlet 35 years ago this month and now live in IL. Over the last 5 years I've read the online news about the area and like what I read. The area, including Union Beach, seems like it is still a good place to live. Good luck to all!
Lynn Philips

Somis, CA

#29 Jan 15, 2007
lived in Unoin Beach from 1949 to 1960 my dad was the towns milkman I,ve been away in cal, for many years but still miss the town anyone out there to to school in 1950 I started kindergarten that year in unoin beach athe the way to freshmen at Keyport hi hope someone out there remenbers things

Since: Jan 07

union beach nj

#30 Jan 15, 2007
I don't live in Camarillo but a small town called Santa Paula ca
Warpath

AOL

#31 Jan 19, 2007
Hollywood from Pensacola wrote:
I was born and raised in Union Beach. I left there to join the Navy. I now live in Pensacola. I go back to visit my family once or twice a year. My grandparents owned a gas station on Florence ave. I went to memorial schoolon morningside Ave. I graduated in 1974. I just can't beleive the prices on houses there. It blows me away. Larry I'm sure you must have known my father, Joe Gallopo. As far as gangs, you don't have to worry. there are none. I had a great life in Union Beach. I just hate the winter. Well nice to chat with y'all.
I knew your dad, though not as well as I knew his sons and daughter, Bobby, JoAnn and Gary. I ran into Gary five years ago while visting Keyport. You're one of the younger boys, I take it.
And no, I'm not tellin' ya who I am -- you gotta guess LOL....>hint< my sister once hit a grand slam into your yard LOL
Warpath

AOL

#32 Jan 19, 2007
Larry From Boca wrote:
Ed: I sure remember the boathouse. I will go through my pictures and see what I can find. Watch this site so that get them to you.
Larry
Bobby Belmonte bought the Old Boathouse and turned it into The Sandbar. He and his wife Denise owned it for approx 10 years, then sold it to its present owners who are the widow and kids of "Pluggie."
Hollywood from Pensacola

Pensacola, FL

#33 Jan 21, 2007
Warpath. I am one of tthe younger sisters of Bobby, Gary and Joann. I moved away a long time ago. Is that the only clue I get? Didn't pluggie also buys Ralph's across the street? I just got back from the Bahamas' and will think about your clue. I guess you are around Bobby, Gary and Joann's age. Do you miss Union Beach? Talk at you later
Hollywood from Pensacola

Pensacola, FL

#34 Jan 21, 2007
Lynn Philips wrote:
lived in Unoin Beach from 1949 to 1960 my dad was the towns milkman I,ve been away in cal, for many years but still miss the town anyone out there to to school in 1950 I started kindergarten that year in unoin beach athe the way to freshmen at Keyport hi hope someone out there remenbers things
Was your dad also a police officer?
lynn phillips

Agoura Hills, CA

#35 Jan 21, 2007
<quoted text>Was your dad also a police officer?
no my dad was the cities fire chief though, he was very active along with my mom in the fire dept.
Warpath

AOL

#36 Jan 22, 2007
<quoted text>Was your dad also a police officer?
I moved to UB in 1955. Started kindergarten in '58. And yes we had a milkman in Haven Park, as well as an Egg man,(I forget his name, though he was very tall)...and a Bread Man "Teddy'. I doubt there was more than one milkmam, so it is likely your dad was he. Your name is sure ringing an old bell.
lynn phillips

Agoura Hills, CA

#37 Jan 23, 2007
my dad was Frank Phillips he delivered all the milk for some distance he delivered to all the schools, I remember the bread man always loved when he came. I started kindergarten in 50 but I have brothers who also were in school ther names were Lee Larry Lex you probaly went to school with one of them.
Warpath

AOL

#38 Jan 25, 2007
Warpath. I am one of tthe younger sisters of Bobby, Gary and Joann. I moved away a long time ago. Is that the only clue I get? Didn't pluggie also buys Ralph's across the street? I just got back from the Bahamas' and will think about your clue. I guess you are around Bobby, Gary and Joann's age. Do you miss Union Beach? Talk at you later
No, I don't miss it. I love FLA too much. The rest of my 5 siblings all live in the UB area and I still visit at least once a year. My sis's hubby is a teacher at the old prison yard (aka Keyport High School) where Joann, Gary, and I disrupted (opps I mean "attened') many classes together. LOL Lydia and her Mom threw me a wedding shower once upon a time at their home on Second Street. Yes, Pluggy's family bought Ralph's (and Bombers too). The town looks so much better now that they re-did the beachfront. Even the water is no longer polluted and folks actually swim in it. Not that I'd ever step foot into that horseshoe crab haven. Not after swimming in the pristine waters in South Fla. Crikey! I still have nightmares about those creepy horseshoe crabs swarming the beach like the opening scene of a Hitchcock movie.
Warpath

AOL

#39 Jan 25, 2007
lynn phillips wrote:
my dad was Frank Phillips he delivered all the milk for some distance he delivered to all the schools, I remember the bread man always loved when he came. I started kindergarten in 50 but I have brothers who also were in school ther names were Lee Larry Lex you probaly went to school with one of them.
DING DING DING....yup Larry was in my class. There is no milk like milk in the bottle where the cream actually rises to the top. When milkmen vanished into history, so did good tasting milk. Now it's a delicacy at specialty stores for $3.99 a qt. Larry would remember Johnny Dayback (who's now the police chief of Keyport). Johnny dubbed me Warpath when one day I'd had enough of his bullying and pulling up my dress. After a few lessons from Joann Gallopo I beat Johnny up so bad his mother bought him to my house to show my Mom his bloody face. Too bad for her that my Mom and sisters had also had enough of Johnny and his gang of rock throwing, slip pulling, altar boys. LOL
lynn phillips

Somis, CA

#40 Jan 25, 2007
Warpath wrote:
<quoted text>
DING DING DING....yup Larry was in my class. There is no milk like milk in the bottle where the cream actually rises to the top. When milkmen vanished into history, so did good tasting milk. Now it's a delicacy at specialty stores for $3.99 a qt. Larry would remember Johnny Dayback (who's now the police chief of Keyport). Johnny dubbed me Warpath when one day I'd had enough of his bullying and pulling up my dress. After a few lessons from Joann Gallopo I beat Johnny up so bad his mother bought him to my house to show my Mom his bloody face. Too bad for her that my Mom and sisters had also had enough of Johnny and his gang of rock throwing, slip pulling, altar boys. LOL
so that means your 1 year older than me, I was the oldest of the 1st 4 children mom and dad had 3 more later on. the Gallopo name is familair but getting older so names fade got out the 1959 class picture from 8th grade. fun to remember even thought I've been in cal since 1960 I still think of Union Beach as home. I remeber thode horse shoe crabs from the beach people out here think I'm crazy when I tell stories about old UB I hope to one day go back see how it's changed guess no more dirt or schale streets. Central ave was all schale back when we lived there, thanks for the reply I sure miss the old days

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No need to panic: Owner of Keansburg bakery loo... Jul 15 Margaret 3
News Keansburg Police Searching For Missing 11 Year ... Jul 14 Margaret 1
Keansburg is the Gem of the Shore Area (Aug '07) Jul 12 Bob CHarles 183
News Hudson attorney files ethics complaint against ... Jul 11 MIKE 1
Pain Meds Available here Jul 4 Anthony Scarpuzzi 2
Is Laurence Harbor a safe area? Jun '17 Ellie 1
Hurricane Sandy - rebuilding your home (Dec '12) Jun '17 Lee Caruso 3

Keyport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance