First Prev
of 27
Next Last
LARRY from Boca

AOL

#1 Apr 21, 2006
Anybody out there who wants to talk about Union Beach in the 30s and 40s? I'm sure that input from Beachers will bring back a lot of wonderful memories.
Sultan of Swing

Kissimmee, FL

#2 Apr 21, 2006
Larry, When and why did you leave Jersey?
LARRY from Boca

AOL

#3 Apr 22, 2006
Left Jersey in 1996 to retire in Florida. We first vacationed in Union Beach around 1937, then moved there after WW II started around 1942. Attended Florence Avenue School, and Cottage Park school. I think I got a pretty damn good education that must have cost the tax payers aroune $150 a year. Today, I think the figure in NY City is aroung $9,000, and they come out uneducated. How can you not recall the days in Union Beach with pleasure?
joan709

AOL

#4 May 27, 2006
i hear the gang the bloods are in union beach is that true?
Larry from Boca

AOL

#5 May 31, 2006
How would I know anything about gangs in Union Beach in 2006? I didn't know the Beach had a gang problem.
joan709

AOL

#6 Jun 1, 2006
have house there on center st thinking of moving back there
MikeRags

New York, NY

#7 Jun 8, 2006
Union Beach is a very safe community - no gangs. For gangs go to Keansburg....
Larry from Boca wrote:
How would I know anything about gangs in Union Beach in 2006? I didn't know the Beach had a gang problem.
MikeRags

New York, NY

#8 Jun 8, 2006
What was happening on Third Street, west of Florence back then? Was it developed? Bungalows? Anything?

Thanks.
LARRY from Boca wrote:
Anybody out there who wants to talk about Union Beach in the 30s and 40s? I'm sure that input from Beachers will bring back a lot of wonderful memories.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#9 Jun 9, 2006
Mike, I can't say for sure about those days. My dad rented a bungalow on 6th street where we spent the summer with our grandmother. Parents came down on weekends. Then my dad bought a bungalow at 8th and Pine, which we converted to a permanent residence and we moved in permanently. It would be a good bet to say there were a lot of bungalows on Third street as Union Beach was basicaly a blue collar resort, but a wonderful, warm, place to live. Never had to lock our house.
Hollywood from Pensacola

Pensacola, FL

#10 Jun 27, 2006
I was born and raised in Union Beach. I left there to join the Navy. I now live in Pensacola. I go back to visit my family once or twice a year. My grandparents owned a gas station on Florence ave. I went to memorial schoolon morningside Ave. I graduated in 1974. I just can't beleive the prices on houses there. It blows me away. Larry I'm sure you must have known my father, Joe Gallopo. As far as gangs, you don't have to worry. there are none. I had a great life in Union Beach. I just hate the winter. Well nice to chat with y'all.
joan709

AOL

#11 Sep 9, 2006
like to hear from people living in Union Beach ,whats it like there now. Lived there in late 70 thinking of moving back still own house on Center St
Larry from Boca

AOL

#12 Sep 10, 2006
Hey Hollywood from Pensacola. I hadn't visited this site in quite a while because most of the entries were not about Union Beach. Yes, we knew your father, I think he graduated from KHS with my brother a year ahead of me. I clearly remember your Grandfather's gas station, and I think I have a picture of my Dad taken in front of the station. I remember the gas station was on Florence Avenue at 9th street. Across the street on the same side of the station was Joe Vigne's grocery, run by Mr. Vigne and Ken Clayton worked there too. I can picture it all clearly, and love to bring the scenes up in my mind. I also remember your aunt Angie Gallopo. Great memories, thanks for the reminder.
Marie in South Jersey

AOL

#13 Sep 14, 2006
Wasn't there a bar/tavern out on rte.36 called Gallopo's? Who was Aunt Angie married to?
Larry from Boca

AOL

#14 Sep 15, 2006
Hi Marie: Don't remember any bar on Rte 36 called Gallopos. Also have no idea who Angie Gallopo married. I will think about the bar thing and see if I can dredge it up. Tell me more about your knowledge of Union Beach
Ed From Toms River

Clark, NJ

#15 Oct 5, 2006
Hi All:

I'm in search of older pictures of Pop Julians Boat House (AKA "The Sand Bar") in union beach. My wife is the only great-grand daughter of Pop Julian. We are looking for any old pictures of him or the restaraunt. Any one have any ideas where I can find some?

Thanks
Ed
Larry From Boca

AOL

#16 Oct 6, 2006
Ed: I sure remember the boathouse. I will go through my pictures and see what I can find. Watch this site so that get them to you.

Larry
Ed From Toms River

Clark, NJ

#17 Oct 6, 2006
Thanks Larry. If you have anything I'd be glad to pay for duplications. I'm trying to build a small photo album as a surprise for my wife.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#18 Oct 10, 2006
Hi Ed from Toms River. I poured through my ancient pictures and could not find the one I wanted of my father in front of Gallopo's Esso station. I can picture it like it was yesterday. I suspect it ended up with my late brother and seems to have been swallowed by time. Sorry, I would have loved to reproduce a piece of Union Beach, but your message reminded me of those wonderful days. Thanks
Ed From Toms River

Clark, NJ

#19 Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for the effort Larry. I appreciate it. I may be on to some pictures of the Boathouse and Slutters Deli. If it happens I'll put them on my website and send you a link.

Larry from Boca

AOL

#20 Oct 12, 2006
OK, THANKS,ED, I WILL KEEP RACKING MY BRAIN AND SEE IF I CAN WORK THE WEB AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING. IT WOULD BE A HOOT TO DIG SOMETHING UP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials help break ground for new $51 million... Dec 19 the taxpayers 2
keansburg cops are joke Dec 7 mark 2
I'm trying to contact Ron Henry Morel Nov 27 Frank Gannucci 3
Mens softball league? (Jun '09) Nov '14 Algrea 11
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Nov '14 Cathy Keansburg 60
No excuse for inaction on emissions Nov '14 kristywalls 1
What's going on in your town this weekWhat's go... Jul '14 concerned 1

Keyport News Video

Keyport Dating
Find my Match