man wearing Statue of Liberty Costume Insulting

Posted in the Keyport Forum

DAVE

Stockholm, NJ

#1 Mar 17, 2010
Walking around town as I usually do I had the unpleasant experience of walking past this man who is standing at the corner of Front Street and Broad Avenue. He's holding a sign, representing a local tax service company. Now it's bad enough that a "Man" is wearing a statue of Liberty costume, but I can get past that. What I can't get past is that this man STINKS! Literally. The smell walking past him almost made me vomit. Of course he's right in the middle of town and as usually another eye sore for the people of Keyport. As I was walking away I realized how insulting this "Picture" was. I went back and told the guy, "You know if you want to wear a costume that represents a symbol of this nation, that's fine". "But at least have the courtesy of being clean and respectful while doing it"! The man looked at me like a dog does when you try to talk it. You know confused. Another man standing next to him said to me. He doesn't speak any English. Another great example of the quality of life and the conditions within Keyport. I suppose a filthy guy in a costume on the main shopping street in town is going to bring a lot of outside visitors. I don't think so. It was a bad experience for me and I stay away from that spot now.
jackeyport

Massapequa, NY

#2 Mar 17, 2010
I'm with you. Whoever hired that guy (at Liberty Income Tax Services on Front Street) is an idiot. As is anyone who gets their taxes done there.
Barb

Stony Point, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2010
I've spoken to that man several times who yes does happen to be Hispanic. He speaks English. He did not have an odor. He is just doing his job. He is attracting attention and always has a wave and a smile for everyone who passes. The Liberty Tax Service chose the outfit as a representation for their tax logo. If you would have stopped to talk to him instead of insulting him you may have realized that he is a nice man trying to do his job.
DAVE

Stockholm, NJ

#4 Mar 20, 2010
Wrong Barb. I've talked to several people in town and more than one guy wears the costume. I was just unlucky enough to get the guy that stunk. I know the difference between someone clean and someone dirty. Too bad I'm the only one offended by it. Instead of making up excuses for the guy I saw you try and make it a racial thing. It's not and I knew someone would post something along those lines. Shame on you for seeing only the racial thing. The guy stunk. It didn't matter one bit what nationality he was. He was filthy dirty and he was wearing a costume that symbolizes our freedom in this country and he was standing on a main street in my town. I was offended by that and that alone.
Barb

Stony Point, NY

#5 Mar 20, 2010
No Dave, I was not making it racial in any way. To quote you . "He doesn't speak any English. Another great example of the quality of life and the conditions within Keyport." That was the reason I said, if you read what I'd written, "I've spoken to that man several times who yes does happen to be Hispanic. He speaks English."
Shame on you Dave. For taking may words out of context.
Sorry Dave, I was not the one who brought up the race card. The man I've spoken to many times has been the same man in the same outfit. He is the only one I can speak about.
I also have spoken to several people in Keyport. Who by the way don't consider their "quality of life" to be so bad and they like the guy.
I don't know how many people you have spoken to wearing the same outfit but I am in Keyport almost every day and have only seen him. It is a nice town with good people. Liberty tax has people all over wearing the same costume to attract attention. It is a gimmick. Perhaps if you are offended by the use of Lady Liberty you should approach the management and not the employee. But before you do, consider all the businesses that use national symbols for advertising and logos.
DAVE

Stockholm, NJ

#6 Mar 20, 2010
Again, your guy obviously is not the guy I spoke with. I'm certainly allowed to feel insulted from the sight and smell I encountered. I never mentioned "Hispanic" or any other race. Just that he was a man and that he stunk. I said I was insulted by the sight of seeing a dirty filthy guy wearing, what I consider to be a symbol of this country. I'm walking around town and I had to walk past this guy who stunk. Pretty straight forward. I said my statement to him and he certainly didn't seem to understand and his friend did tell me he didn't speak English. If any of this stuff doesn't offend you too bad. It did me and I had my say. If it happens again I will do it again. Monday I am going to the business to complain.
nachochips

New York, NY

#7 May 14, 2010
Im offended too that a non american is wearing the costume. What is this country coming to?
DAVE

Butler, NJ

#8 May 15, 2010
Don't know if the guy was legal or not and it doesn't matter. The guy stunk and was standing in the middle of town wearing a costume that too many take for granted. The town officials want outside money coming to the stores, yet seeing this and smelling it was enough for me to know that no one would be making a return trip. Political Correctness can take a flyin leap in the ocean. If you want to bring commerce into your town clean it up and make it a place that people want to come to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keyport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mens softball league? (Jun '09) Wed Algrea 11
Keensburg in my early years (Feb '07) Nov 21 Cathy Keansburg 60
No excuse for inaction on emissions Nov 17 kristywalls 1
Jon Bon Jovi (Mar '06) Nov 15 elise 175
Aztec Group Inc Florida Singapore Tokyo Japan I... Nov 13 torivica1989 1
Drew's Law, a misguided reaction to a tragedy: ... Nov 13 Dave777 2
Monmouth County Tea Party Coalition Hosting Cit... (Aug '11) Nov 11 7vens 5

Keyport News Video

Keyport Dating
Find my Match