Gun in school: Kewaskum High School s...

Gun in school: Kewaskum High School student accused of bringing unloaded gun to school

There are 13 comments on the Fox6 story from Dec 15, 2009, titled Gun in school: Kewaskum High School student accused of bringing unloaded gun to school. In it, Fox6 reports that:

Student brought gun "just to be cool" December 15, 2009 WITI-TV, KEWASKUM - A 14-year-old student at Kewaskum High School is taken into custody after allegedly bringing an unloaded gun to school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox6.

sms

Watertown, WI

#1 Dec 16, 2009
What the heck is wrong with the parents, leaving a gun at easy access for the son to take. I mean cmon parents lock your stuff up. He should be expelled. What kind of parenting is this.
Former Kewaskum student

West Bend, WI

#2 Dec 16, 2009
I believe that there should be some consequnce but I don't think he should be expelled! I have been expelled from middle school myself so I know how this kid must be feeling. He brought a gun to school that was "unloaded" if he wanted to hurt someone he would have brought ammunition with. But that wasn't his intention. He just wanted to look cool and get some attention. So I believe just slap him with a big ticket and maybe 6 months probation. He's only 14 years old let him live his life. He made a mistake give him a chance to fix it.
Boltonville Badboy

West Bend, WI

#3 Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, maybe next time he'll be "cooler" and bring the ammo.I am floored that they had already dismissed this as a non-threatening situation within hours of the kid being taken into custody. I read the letter the kids brought home, how in the world can they determine "intent" in a few hours without a formal investigation??
Maybe the ammo is hidden somewhere in the school?? Maybe he tossed the stuff before they grabbed him?Sorry guys, the jury is still out on this one. I just hope the D.A. takes a harder stance than the liberals in the school district.
Current Kewaskum Student

United States

#4 Dec 16, 2009
I currently attend Kewaskum High School. I happen to know both older sisters of the 14 year old boy, however not the boy himself. I am a very opinitated person and have lots to say about this unfortunate situation.
First of all, I do not know how this 14 year old got the gun. If, however, he did get it from home I would agree that the parents should have had all weapons safely locked up. You cannot blame this on bad parenting. I'm sure the parents knew nothing about this and therefor could not have done anything about it.
Second, I feel he should be expelled from the school regardless if he is just a child. The day he was arrested the whole school had an assembly in the gym, along with severl Holy Trinity students touring the school. If something bad were to happen it would have been the perfect opportunity and a terrible. Some say he is one of the "slower" kids. Still, even at that age you should know better. Since grade K we've been tough that drugs, alcohol, and guns are bad.
Finally, I don't think the school handled it as well as it SHOULD have. There was no lock down at all. Some students were still in the hallway as the arrest took place. If this boy truly was dangerous something bad could have happened. It's rumored that he had brought the gun previously three days in a row showing his friends. These students did not say anything right away. Students need to speak up as soon as possible to protect the safety of themselves and others. The Kewaskum staff is very good about keeping tips quiet, names will not be mentioned.
I would just like to know what is being done to prevent this from happening again. What does not help are the outrageous rumors that are being spread around through students and parents. Andrew Kuehl of the Kewaskum Statesman does not help this situation either by posting about this on his facebook at 12:54 pm the day of the arrest, before Christine Horbas (principal of KHS) could inform anyone. Any parent who saw this post would immidiately start to panic.
This is a big wake up call for Kewaskum and surrounding cities.
Amy

Sussex, WI

#5 Dec 16, 2009
Ok we go thru this every few months. Has this kid not seen any sort of news in the last 5 years. He is not a exception and should be expelled, no questions asked. There is zero tolerance for guns in school. So next time you want to be cool, invite your friends to your house to show them.
KHS Student

United States

#6 Dec 16, 2009
Ok. Well a kid bringing a gun to school is a big matter. There is no way that I think this kid should get it off easy. He brings a gun to school, so there gonna let him back in?? He doesn't have a good record either, A year ago alcohol was brought. But that's off subject. But seriously, the bullets could be anywhere. Maybe the intent was to "look cool," but expulsion should be taken into consideration. Also there is no way that they could figure out the intent in a few hours. I hope this gets taken far.
Botlonville Badboy

United States

#7 Dec 16, 2009
Expulsion should be mandatory,If this student is not expelled from the Kewaskum school district, what message are they sending to the students and the community?
Basically it would imply circumstantial leniency in a given situation.Totally unacceptable.
Disgusted Parent

Adger, AL

#8 Dec 17, 2009
I have children who goto KHS. I am disgusted how this whole situation has been handled. The school should of went on automatic lockdown. Mrs.Horbas once again tried to keep everything hush hush. It has NOTHING to do with trying to be cool. A gun loaded or unloaded is dangerous!! Then for the school to say no harm was caused is outrageous!!! More harm was caused then they will ever know. Mentally the students and I am sure most of the staff and parents are forever changed by this event. The school did have a Assembly that day. If the 14yr old boy would of pulled the gun out during the assembly. Were they gonna say oh wait we gotta see if it is loaded or unloaded before everyone runs in hysterics to get out of the area?! No one but the 14yr old boy knows what the intention was. I do NOT think any of the students at the school would find someone bringing a gun to school to be cool!!! Also no one knows if the student for sure had any bullets on him as everything is being kept hush hush again. I thank God that the gun was found before a terrible event occured. I do NOT want the student to return to school!! I think Expulsion and criminal charges should be brought. Along with intense counseling for the student. I also believe that something has to occur with how the situation was handled. Mrs. Horbas has to be held accountable for her lack of actions. Also Officer Barry did NOT act appropriately with handling the situation. Mrs. Horbas has to be held accountable for sending home such a disturbing letter also. To say no harm was caused as the gun was unloaded is outrageous!! My children do NOT feel safe at school now. I am sure their are many others who feel the same way. Because of what could of happened.
Former Ktown student

Kewaskum, WI

#9 Dec 17, 2009
The kid will probably be expelled. but you do know that a couple years back some kids were caught dealing and using drugs during school. they were both expelled and then were able to come back to school a week later. then top wrestler gets alcohol violation over the summer, coach makes him join soccer so he can serve his game suspension and be in top shape for the wrestling season.
Its kewaskum they never do what they day they are going to do. its so easy to get away with anything because NOTHING is enforced.
the school itself is a joke. enforce stuff and dont go back on what you say.
Mrs Wright

Milwaukee, WI

#10 Dec 18, 2009
In Kewaskum, if you are one of their star athletes you get special treatment. It has been like that for many years. It will never change. So if this kid is not an athlete he will probably be expelled for the rest of the semester, but not the entire school year. That school is such a joke. Which is why I moved away from there.
Boltonville badboy

West Bend, WI

#11 Dec 18, 2009
I totally agree with disgusted parent.The letter from Horbas was a complete JOKE. And it was definitely intended to keep this quiet and out of the public eye, and was a total insult to the intelligence of the parents with the patronizing statement "though we feel this is newsworthy and you as parents should be informed". Well, thank you for sifting through the tedious details for us, and determining we should be kept in the loop anyway.
What an arrogant imbecile, it read like an 8yr old wrote it.There was not any formal lockdown, and I'm told from a few students this kid had brought the cartridges to school a few weeks earlier.If this is true,he had access to all the ammo needed for a very horrific situation.
Here's the really wierd part,I emailed the WB news editor to see if they were going to run a story,no reply and I didn't see anything in the paper.
I can't fathom how this is just dismissed as no big deal.
Middle School Student

Kansas City, KS

#12 Dec 23, 2009
I go to school at Kewaskum Middle School, right across the parking lot if that kid was mentally ill we would all be in danger he would have a good chance of hittting someone! What if he went on a killing rampage, what would they say then? Totally not acceptble he ruined Kewaskum's reputation!! Thanks, but it is also Mrs. Horbas's fault not handling this situation right.......

Since: Dec 09

Lima, OH

#13 Dec 30, 2009
Mrs Wright wrote:
In Kewaskum, if you are one of their star athletes you get special treatment. It has been like that for many years. It will never change. So if this kid is not an athlete he will probably be expelled for the rest of the semester, but not the entire school year. That school is such a joke. Which is why I moved away from there.
You are completely speaking the truth! Also, if a kids parents are friends with the local law enforcement, you go scott free. The cops in Kewaskum are so crooked and slow it's not funny. I lived there for 3 years and couldn't wait to get the hell out of that town. I know when my kids went to school there, we were having a problem with another student in the elementary school which resulted in a restraining order and the school did not even follow the order of the restraining order. That town just makes me sick, the government there and the whole police department there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kewaskum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dairy Queen owner defends 'politically incorrec... Sep 11 Dove Love 3
News More States Passing Laws Allowing Firearms With... (Oct '16) Aug 24 Mo MOOOOO 27
comment on this how much do u hate bullies (Nov '14) Jul '17 AgainstBullying 4
Beware of stendahl exteriors (Feb '16) May '17 Disgruntled resident 2
News Security warning issued after break-in reported... (May '14) May '14 Lau 1
Review: DAVIDSONS (Aug '13) Aug '13 Patty 1
Debate: Abortion Debate - Kewaskum, WI (Mar '12) Mar '12 Nan 1

Kewaskum Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kewaskum Mortgages