Kewanee during the 1960's and 70's
Nana

Kewanee, IL

#231 Oct 14, 2010
How do you change the city when you post? I live in Kewanee.
very very true

United States

#232 Oct 14, 2010
Nana wrote:
How do you change the city when you post? I live in Kewanee.
you really can't I don't think
Depressed

Peru, IL

#233 Oct 14, 2010
Nana wrote:
I remember Spudnut and Maidrite. My dad knew both of the owners. When we went to Spudnut, I got to push the buttons on the old cash register if they weren't too busy. I used to bus tables and work the coffee machine. I was 6 years old. Does anyone remember when you could drive uptown on a Sunday morning and buy a newspaper? And the grocery store on Vine before it was Plaster Palace, Draminski's?
I remember all of this... The kids nowadays won't have all of these awesome memories when they get older... All they will remember will be walmart, mcdonalds and their video games. The way they talk nowadays is repulsive... What is this world coming to ???????
truth

United States

#234 Oct 14, 2010
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>no, hermie his name was herman
It was Herbie, no doubt..... Saw him alot in there
truth

United States

#235 Oct 14, 2010
OldTimer wrote:
Yep, Skoglunds, I saw him not too long ago out driving thru town. Then there was a restaurant next door south of there, some chicken place... it was of the more 'modern' design, though. When places like Hardees were the competition.
It was the Country School Restaurant
Wow

Peru, IL

#236 Oct 14, 2010
Colonel Sanders wrote:
Did anyone mention the "Country School" fried chicken joint ?? Use to sit where O'reilly Auto Parts is at...
This was a great artery clogging joint !!
woW

Sterling, IL

#237 Oct 14, 2010
remember when everyone had muscle cars and raced out at black hawk.
memories

United States

#238 Oct 15, 2010
woW wrote:
remember when everyone had muscle cars and raced out at black hawk.
can't do that anymore.lol prob end up in cambridge now days
CEE

Milton, FL

#239 Oct 15, 2010
Anybody remember Lawerence the pointer? Or Sarge the old drunk vagrant that slept in Bakers Park? How about Speedy walking down main street with his radio. Or cyclops with his bicycle. Every body certainly remembers the Riggers. Someone mentioned Stella Pletcovich what about Edna Mursner at Lyle School she was a mean one.
wow

United States

#240 Oct 15, 2010
I remember speedy...and stella.....what about the guy that rode around on his bike with the police cap on and police scanner? I knew him by super cop..
Saw

Peru, IL

#241 Oct 15, 2010
Ronny Shaw ???
wow

United States

#242 Oct 27, 2010
Saw wrote:
Ronny Shaw ???
Ronny Shaw? You mean saw mill? He lost. A few fingers? That ronny? Lol
more on the MOC

Elmhurst, NY

#243 Oct 31, 2010
well that's right, MOC was the military order of the cooties, an organization whose primary mission is to have fun! Their purposes were and still are to promote membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S; to promote and sustain the widows and children at the VFW National Home for Children located in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, and to provide aid and comfort to hospitalized U.S. Veterans throughout the world. Nick Quagliano started the MOC after WWII and had a very large building where the post office now stands. His son Dr. Quagliano, lived and had an office in the very large building across the street. The MOC was quite the place back then. There were nightly shows, cabarets, and many of PApa Nick's friends from Chicago and New York would stop in town...the famous drummer Tony Bellson and his wife Pearl Bailey were there one night. One night in the 50's baseball great Joe Dimaggio and his new wife Marilyn Monroe were seen there. Nick would let in all people, all races, all sexes, and all sexualities....He was not a great man and ran the best nightclub Kewanee ever had. It was truly magical...a young Rosemary Clooney sang there one night after a stint at the Stork Club in Chicago on Rush Street. Nick's young son Francie (who was just a teenager then) use to chauffer those big Chicago mob guys in and out of town from Chicago. Quite a history at the MOC.
more on the MOC

Elmhurst, NY

#244 Oct 31, 2010
sorry...must correct the typo above...he was a GREAT MAN"..that NOT slipped in there....Papa Nick was a great man and ran the MOC up till the time he had a bad stroke in 1977..he died a few years later in 1979..
realist

Madison, WI

#245 Nov 2, 2010
that was Martin
Who

Peru, IL

#246 Nov 2, 2010
truth wrote:
<quoted text> It was Herbie, no doubt..... Saw him alot in there
Herbie Monning ???
Tammie

Lake Villa, IL

#247 Jan 11, 2011
Do you mean "Side"? My sister worked there in HS. They had a waterbed on which they displayed Indian-type textiles (as I recall) and they sold 1928 jewelry.
sweet sweet memories wrote:
<quoted text>
it was called plaster paris on corner of vine and i rem city furniture. bought a few things there. was a nice furniture store and yes murphy's book store had alot of neat stuff. beads and sequence and sparkly glitter was popular and they had it all.
i just remembered another neat place on main. cannot remember the name. had alot of hippie type clothes and jewelry, insense etc. was a popular place for us teenie boppers. marsha uh think last name begins with m also but darn hard to remember . was it carlson. i think that was it and guess it did not start with m ha!
anyway she worked there for quite a while. can anyone rem the name???
Tammie

Lake Villa, IL

#248 Jan 11, 2011
wow wrote:
I remember speedy...and stella.....what about the guy that rode around on his bike with the police cap on and police scanner? I knew him by super cop..
His real name was Martin.
Captain Kangaroo

Canton, IL

#249 Jan 12, 2011
Ktown critic wrote:
I grew up in the 70s it was more people farming in town and it was a good place to live with friendly people and the fuzz was really laid back.i was young but i remember there was a good sense of community around.kewanee even had a head shop uptown with incense burning and all,the economy was much better and most where employed.kewanee has always been a drinking town but im sure there was its share of drugs but not crap like crack.all and all a good place to be.
Yea... all the crack heads and meth heads have screwed things up....
ktowner

Lynn, MA

#250 Jan 13, 2011
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>Remember ALL of these places..... Great times...Great places...Kewanee use to be a GREAT place to live !!!!!!! Remember Spudnut donuts west of MOC ?? What was the name of the place north of Montgomery Wards on main st. that sold all the fresh fruits and vegetables ???
Shorty Goodwin's Open Air Market.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kewanee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Attention idiots worried about me Kevin Kate 8 hr KHS98 5
I just bought a Jehovas Witness advent calendar Dec 4 Dot 1
if you do not live in fairview (Sep '13) Dec 4 Edward 38
Two fires in Kewanee Saturday night but neither... (Oct '13) Dec 1 fire bug dug 5
Local Bands In Kewanee (Inside Out, The Breeze,... (Mar '10) Dec 1 Lisa 83
walmart and telecheck (Jul '13) Nov 30 Jill 66
Unemployment benefits deposit issues. (Jun '14) Nov 26 Kijalatristan 31

Kewanee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kewanee Mortgages