Is Ohio next on right-to-work battlefront?

Dec 12, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WKYC-TV

As neighboring Michigan became the 24th state Tuesday to enact laws that prohibit agreements requiring workers to join a union or pay dues, Ohio groups that support the laws say the Buckeye State has to follow suit or watch jobs leave.

Comments
161 - 180 of 183 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

deray wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I see and have read the reason business is coming back to the United States has very little to do with the paltry wages they pay over seas, it has more to do with the cost of fuel in the ships they ship the junk back in, shipping costs in other words. In the biggest container ships it costs millions of dollars for a one way trip to the US from China, if that cost increases a few cents per gallon or ton it amounts to hundreds of hundreds of thousands of dollars just on one of those ships.
Right, the increase in wages and shipping cost & time it take to get here to the US Market is making it cheaper to manufacturer and sell in the United States.

Since: Dec 09

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Everything I've been reading says wages has very little to do with it. After all there's not much difference between $1.00 US and $1.50 US. Wages and benefits even in this country have very little impact on the cost of goods or services if you ever have looked at the breakdown of cost in operation of a factory one of the least of the expenses is wages. The highest expense is carried debt (loans), investors shares, and utilities / energy.

That is why some people have been able to make billions, they pay their employees with a more than living wage and benefits. They have happy employees and it impacts the whole company and the way everyone works.

They say right now the best run, profitable and capitalized companies right now are the ones employee owned (employee shareholders) they put more in because over time they get more out.

I think that is what they should have done with the bail outs, give the companies to employee stockholders and they would have avoided the bull about the higher ups in those companies giving themselves million dollar bonuses. Would have eliminated the fraud and thievery.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

If you go to Jiangxi province, with a minimum wage of 870 yuan (139.58 US Dollar) a month, ranked last among the provinces in China, all the provinces in China are like the states in the US they have different minimum wages, you would get even less.

Before $0.87 cents an hour
After $ 1.28 per hour

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

deray wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see the highest minimum wage in China is Shenzhen it has the highest minimum wage -- 1,500 yuan ($236) a month. We compare that to a 40 work week times 4 weeks we get 160 hours divide that into the $236 we get an astounding $1.475 per hour. The Chinese government is talking about giving them a 47 percent raise. Let's see %1.475 times 47 percent is 0.69325 that plus the $1.475 is about $2.16825 round that off at $2.17 per hour, yelp that is going to make a big difference.$0.69 cents extra an hour is going to break the bank.:-)
I know there is a bid difference in the value of the two curriencies(Dollar & Yuan) which is what makes it profitable to move to China to begin with especially when companines are coverting dollars into yauns.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

deray wrote:
If you go to Jiangxi province, with a minimum wage of 870 yuan (139.58 US Dollar) a month, ranked last among the provinces in China, all the provinces in China are like the states in the US they have different minimum wages, you would get even less.
Before $0.87 cents an hour
After $ 1.28 per hour
exactly its that way which alot of people dont realize.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Well I do realize and converted the Yuan to dollars of course that value varies day to day sometimes hour to hour. Anyway gives the idea of what those people are working for over in China, not very much.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

deray wrote:
Well I do realize and converted the Yuan to dollars of course that value varies day to day sometimes hour to hour. Anyway gives the idea of what those people are working for over in China, not very much.
Right

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

It just shows that the wages in China have really little to do with American Businesses pulling out. I seems that the millions of dollars in the transport of the goods would have more impact. After all if you spread the cost of labor across the cost of each product unit it would not even equal one cent.

Many don't realize that even here in American factories the cost of labor (wages and benefits) is infinitesimal if spread across each unit of production. Most of the time pennies at most in a modern high production system.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Let's look at the cost of labor on the factory floor on one production line. The numbers I will use are real numbers that I was aware of about three years ago, 2010 I will use the highest wages paid in production in a Southern State food production plant.

The highest paid production worker was $12.00 Per hour, his benefits health, dental, vision, short term disability and all other benefits cost the company $75.00 per week per person regardless how many hours worked. We will use a 8 hour day, 40 hour week in the calculations.

In this line where this individual worked 30 employees were used to produce 200,000 units of product in a eight hour day that sold for $1.00 each unit.

$12.00 X 8 X 30 =$2880.00 for labor per 8 hour day.
$75.00 X 30 =$2250.00 / 40 =$56.25 X 8 =$450.00 equals the cost of benefits for a 8 hour day.

$2880.00 Hourly Wages
+ 450.00 Total Hourly Benefits
========
$3330.00 Total cost of labor for 8 hour day.

Labor Unit of production
$3330.00 / 200000 =$0.01665 cents cost of labor per unit production for the whole production group of 30 people. This is just the people producing the product. Usually a maintenance man and electrician floats around to three or more lines so their contribution to cost would be negligible. Actually each unit of product cost for direct labor would be 2 cents per unit rounded.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Yep.. just cant imagine why all them evil companies dont see it your way.
Deacon Drake

Longmeadow, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Well, now Michigan is a "Right To Work State" so what will become of Ohio in the years to come?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Deacon Drake wrote:
Well, now Michigan is a "Right To Work State" so what will become of Ohio in the years to come?
Ohio needs too definitely.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Generally speaking, Right to Work laws often mean the same as Right to Fire laws. One is as legitimate as the other. Sort of like a 'No Fault' divorce.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Pops wrote:
Generally speaking, Right to Work laws often mean the same as Right to Fire laws. One is as legitimate as the other. Sort of like a 'No Fault' divorce.
you mean the Employment at Will Doctrine because in a Right to Work state the Union still functions as normal with the workers its just the workers have a new voice now economically against the unions in a Right to Work state which is what the Unions dont like especially if the workers dont like the representation which they can voice their dissatisfaction with unions by refusing to pay union dues which some are doing here in Indiana and the unions do like because before the unions were just interested in Union dues only and now here in Indiana the unions are having to work for them.

At-will employment is a doctrine of American law that defines an employment relationship in which either party can immediately terminate the relationship at any time with or without any advance warning,[1] and with no subsequent liability, provided there was no express contract for a definite term governing the employment relationship and that the employer does not belong to a collective bargaining group (i.e., has not recognized a union). Under this legal doctrine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employme...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>you mean the Employment at Will Doctrine because in a Right to Work state the Union still functions as normal with the workers its just the workers have a new voice now economically against the unions in a Right to Work state which is what the Unions dont like especially if the workers dont like the representation which they can voice their dissatisfaction with unions by refusing to pay union dues which some are doing here in Indiana and the unions do like because before the unions were just interested in Union dues only and now here in Indiana the unions are having to work for them.
At-will employment is a doctrine of American law that defines an employment relationship in which either party can immediately terminate the relationship at any time with or without any advance warning,[1] and with no subsequent liability, provided there was no express contract for a definite term governing the employment relationship and that the employer does not belong to a collective bargaining group (i.e., has not recognized a union). Under this legal doctrine
should of said "Here in Indiana and the unions dont like because before the unions were just interested in Union dues only and now here in Indiana the unions are having to work for them." meant to say
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>you mean the Employment at Will Doctrine because in a Right to Work state the Union still functions as normal with the workers its just the workers have a new voice now economically against the unions in a Right to Work state which is what the Unions dont like especially if the workers dont like the representation which they can voice their dissatisfaction with unions by refusing to pay union dues which some are doing here in Indiana and the unions do like because before the unions were just interested in Union dues only and now here in Indiana the unions are having to work for them.
I generally understand the differences but there are many caveats that blur the diffs & sadly, most people can not afford to or simply choose not to pursue the wrong doers.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

It is really the employers right to fire law and in the state of Kentucky that I'm familiar with you really have no recourse. That's what the companies want, not recourse for you. They can fire you for any reason, race, age,health, sex it don't really make no deference in most cases it would cost a fortune to fight without state backing. So it has the same affect as a right to fire law for the employer. that is why you see so many citizens unemployed now they, they have bee fired so employers can hire illegals and reduce wages.
Not me

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

I'm union proud - bi*ches!!!
Dennis and Brenda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

Gun Nut wrote:
I'm retired and can't be fired.
retarded and needs carded
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Not me wrote:
I'm union proud - bi*ches!!!
So you pay dues to an organization that protects your rights to work as little as possible, gets waivers from Obama care & call anyone that is non-union whatever names that you want when all anyone wants to do is take care of their families.
Another class of underachieving 'government union' non-workers are often welfare recipients whose numbers have nearly doubled across the board in the last 5-7 yrs. Watch your taxes grow to pay for such just like you union dues grow to pay graft.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kettering Discussions

Search the Kettering Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 min ino 29,370
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 55 min Carriers 18,587
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 13 hr The Hack Checker 4
"I was not asked or consulted about this" 13 hr The Hack Checker 3
Mayora s immigration statement stirs up controv... 22 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
Please Help!! Mon Crusader 1
would love to meet a cougar Sun Fan of Leon The Man 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kettering Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000