McCain's pick highlights reckless side

McCain's pick highlights reckless side

There are 16 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Sep 2, 2008, titled McCain's pick highlights reckless side. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

ST. PAUL, Minn.Has anyone noticed that Sarah Palin's central claim to political fame is a fraud? She represents herself as a fiscal conservative who abhors pork-barrel projects and said no thanks to the "bridge ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

Its the dollars

Hilton Head Island, SC

#1 Sep 3, 2008
My view of Sarah Palin as a woman and mother is limited to what little we have heard about her in the last week. I accept the message from friends and colleagues, that she is a fundamentally good lady, with her heart in the right place. What disturbs me is the idea that her limited political and executive experience is truly of value. Running a State like Alaska has to be very different from so much of the rest of this country. I don't know of too many Alaskan cities with hugely diverse ethnicity problems. I don't know of too many with large areas of crime and a decaying infrastructure. I don't hear about high unemployment, probelms getting medical treatment (let alone financial support for healthcare) or guns in schools, malls and on the streets. This isn't because she has done anything to "beat" these issues - they either don't exist, or if they do, it's in very small doses. Truth is - she knows little about the REAL WORLD of this country, or foreign policy etc. and that just isn't good enough for the VP right now.
SHOVELHEAD

Kingsport, TN

#2 Sep 3, 2008
WELL you know well he has a reckless side after all the man was a Navy carrier fighter pilot Those guys all have a reckless side and a lot of nads to do what they do and to add very skilled at what they do SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
Matt S

United States

#3 Sep 3, 2008
Its the dollars wrote:
My view of Sarah Palin as a woman and mother is limited to what little we have heard about her in the last week. I accept the message from friends and colleagues, that she is a fundamentally good lady, with her heart in the right place. What disturbs me is the idea that her limited political and executive experience is truly of value. Running a State like Alaska has to be very different from so much of the rest of this country. I don't know of too many Alaskan cities with hugely diverse ethnicity problems. I don't know of too many with large areas of crime and a decaying infrastructure. I don't hear about high unemployment, probelms getting medical treatment (let alone financial support for healthcare) or guns in schools, malls and on the streets. This isn't because she has done anything to "beat" these issues - they either don't exist, or if they do, it's in very small doses. Truth is - she knows little about the REAL WORLD of this country, or foreign policy etc. and that just isn't good enough for the VP right now.
Be patient with your comments on Sarah, we don't know the full truth about her yet, we only get what the biased media wants us to know. Maybe she does'nt have ALL the experience we want her to have, but who does? If she did have all the expierence, then they would say she is a washington insider, lose lose situation. We need people with morals, standards, character and the interest of the american people. Obama has 0 percent of any experience anywhere, is he ready to lead, NO, does the american people see this, just glimpses. Let's find more about this woman before we judge her creditials.
Its the dollars

Hilton Head Island, SC

#4 Sep 3, 2008
Matt S. I think you actually make my point even clearer. Ms. Palin doesn't seem to have ANY (certainly not ALL) of the experience I believe a VP should have. I also believe that every one of the 4 candidates (2 x Pres and 2 X VP) have decent morals, standards, character and the interest of the American people at heart, in equal measure. Lastly, it's not clear to me how we will ever find out much more about Ms. Palin, especailly in less than 10 weeks, unless it is from the media (liberal or otherwise). Let's be honest, day 2 didn't go so well when we found out about the pregnant daughter. Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming her, but the "machine" that manages these things has to be questioned.
RDE

Auburndale, FL

#5 Sep 3, 2008
Reckless pick? I don't think so. Here's why.

1.McCain had to be VERY careful and NOT select anyone with ties to the Bush Administration. Palin has none.

2.Obama claims to be a "Washington Outsider", yet does everything in his power to be smack-dab in the middle of it. Sarah Palin is the classic example of a "Washington Outsider".

3.Other choices McCain had in mind fell into three categories: Those with considerable baggage (Mitt Romney), loser reputation (Joe Lieberman), or unelectable freaking weirdo (Rudy Guiliani).

4.At my place of employment, several Hillary supporters said they'd rather write her in than vote for Obama. Women across America will learn that a write in vote doesn't mean anything, notice that there's a strong woman OTHER than Hillary, and vote accordingly.

5.Sarah Palin compliments the ticket, rather than overshadowing it.

6.Much has been written about the Palin family. From what I've read about them, their problems and faults make them seem like the most normal political family I've ever seen.

So, reckless? No. Try crafty. This pick is definitely growing on me.
Matt S

United States

#6 Sep 3, 2008
Its the dollars wrote:
Matt S. I think you actually make my point even clearer. Ms. Palin doesn't seem to have ANY (certainly not ALL) of the experience I believe a VP should have. I also believe that every one of the 4 candidates (2 x Pres and 2 X VP) have decent morals, standards, character and the interest of the American people at heart, in equal measure. Lastly, it's not clear to me how we will ever find out much more about Ms. Palin, especailly in less than 10 weeks, unless it is from the media (liberal or otherwise). Let's be honest, day 2 didn't go so well when we found out about the pregnant daughter. Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming her, but the "machine" that manages these things has to be questioned.
I agree, she might not have the expierence, but why are we not saying the same about Obama? He could be the president of this great country, and has zero expierence, does that not concern you more than having a VP that has limited but some experience? I would just like for you to give her a chance before we judge her, just as I did with Obama, but now know he is an empty politician running on promises he cannot practice, but I did give him the oppertunity to prove himself, and so far he has not and no one else could either. If we find out more about her and she is determined to be fit, will it change your mind of her?

Since: Jun 08

Garden City, NY

#7 Sep 4, 2008
SHOVELHEAD wrote:
WELL you know well he has a reckless side after all the man was a Navy carrier fighter pilot Those guys all have a reckless side and a lot of nads to do what they do and to add very skilled at what they do SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
Shovelhead - you're a pretty bright guy. However, does having been a fighter pilot and been captured and tortured provide the proper background to be President of the United States? What has he done besides that? And besides voting along side Bush for 8 years? If he should have a heart attack (and I wish that fate on no one) and die, do you think this young woman has the 'nads' and experience to be President? I think that's what voters should look at, not how many children she has had, or that she chose to carry to term a baby with Downs Syndrome, or that she's a good fisherman or rifleman. Or whether she can pull off a good one-liner during a speech.
Tiny Tim

AOL

#8 Sep 4, 2008
Tiny Tim, my friend, I don't think we judge harshly or even at all Sarah Palin or her daughter Bristol. Teen pregnancies without the benefit of marriage have been going on since the beginning of time. We have all been there or have a close relative(s) who has. Or we could have been there but for the grace of God. People even wagged their tongues about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

The hypocrisy of Governor Palin and others like her is that she plays to the Republican Radical Right, standing on their so called morals and family values for political gain while condemning others. Issues such as being against sex education and birth control (except abstinance only) for teens who desperately need it. Then when the consequences of teenage premarital sex hit in their home, all of a sudden their values and morality change. Gone is their condemnation, rightfully so. And who can blame them?

Children need our love and care, regardless of their "moral failures." Everybody agrees with that, even Republicans. Why then don't they live out their convictions and help these girls and boys before they become unwed parents and bring an unwanted child into the world? How many abortions or tragic childhoods could be prevented? Its the false piety of these Republican Patricians looking down contemptuously on the great unwashed. These right wingers don't actually live by their standards. They just want to politic and condemn by them, except when the standard applies to them. Ughhhh! I wonder how Jesus will judge them on their day of reckoning? Let's hope He doesn't judge these hypocritical Republicans like they judge others with their double standards.

God bless us, every one.
Concerned

Sumter, SC

#9 Sep 4, 2008
Grand Strand Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Shovelhead - you're a pretty bright guy. However, does having been a fighter pilot and been captured and tortured provide the proper background to be President of the United States? What has he done besides that? And besides voting along side Bush for 8 years? If he should have a heart attack (and I wish that fate on no one) and die, do you think this young woman has the 'nads' and experience to be President? I think that's what voters should look at, not how many children she has had, or that she chose to carry to term a baby with Downs Syndrome, or that she's a good fisherman or rifleman. Or whether she can pull off a good one-liner during a speech.
John McCain was not just a fighter pilot, but was Commander of the flight wing. His final rank in the Navy before his retirement was Captain. A captain in the Navy is the sameGrade level as a full Bird Colonel, just below a one Star. While the statement that he voted with Bush most of the time is correct, Obama also voted with Bush 60% of the time. I've read the legislation. It takes a long time, but it is well worth the effort. The rest of the stuff, they mostly voted along party lines like most senators. The big difference is John McCain authored (or co-authored) several pieces of legislation that actually made it through, most notably McCain-Feingold. Obama has not authoured one piece of law or one referendum. It was the safe path. In the Illinois Senate he voted present over 160 times. Again the safe path. The reason most senators can't get elected to the Presidency is because of their voting record. That's why it is unusual that we have 2 Senators to pick from. The last senator to be elected to the prisdency was JFK, and we know now that that election was bought in Chicago. So, John McCain is more qualified. As for Sarah Palin, she held 2 terms as city council member, 10 years as Mayor nd 20 months as Govoner. That's more executive experience than both presidential candidates and the Democratic vice presidential candidate combined. She took on Big Oil and won, after supporting the bridge to nowhere, as govoner she saw all the details of the plan and discovered it was a corrupt plan, and said no thank you. I would like to thank you on your stance to leave her family alone. They do have a right to some privacy.
Concerned

Sumter, SC

#10 Sep 4, 2008
Tiny Tim wrote:
Tiny Tim, my friend, I don't think we judge harshly or even at all Sarah Palin or her daughter Bristol. Teen pregnancies without the benefit of marriage have been going on since the beginning of time. We have all been there or have a close relative(s) who has. Or we could have been there but for the grace of God. People even wagged their tongues about Mary, the mother of Jesus.
The hypocrisy of Governor Palin and others like her is that she plays to the Republican Radical Right, standing on their so called morals and family values for political gain while condemning others. Issues such as being against sex education and birth control (except abstinance only) for teens who desperately need it. Then when the consequences of teenage premarital sex hit in their home, all of a sudden their values and morality change. Gone is their condemnation, rightfully so. And who can blame them?
Children need our love and care, regardless of their "moral failures." Everybody agrees with that, even Republicans. Why then don't they live out their convictions and help these girls and boys before they become unwed parents and bring an unwanted child into the world? How many abortions or tragic childhoods could be prevented? Its the false piety of these Republican Patricians looking down contemptuously on the great unwashed. These right wingers don't actually live by their standards. They just want to politic and condemn by them, except when the standard applies to them. Ughhhh! I wonder how Jesus will judge them on their day of reckoning? Let's hope He doesn't judge these hypocritical Republicans like they judge others with their double standards.
God bless us, every one.
I guess the tiny part refers to your IQ. Sarah Palin is not a hypocrit. She has done her best by teaching Bristol her values. But she does go to public schools where the message of free sex is prevelant. I know in my own case, I believed that the teachers knew more about everything than my parents did. I also gave in to peer pressure. However the older I got, the wiser my parents became. Most of you liberals want to stone Sarah Palin for Bristols mistake. Their family had a crisis, and they are handling that crisis the best way they know how; with love and forgiveness.
Im frum the beeech

United States

#11 Sep 4, 2008
i think she is hot
Oregon is Disgusting

United States

#12 Sep 4, 2008
More fraud from Sarah Palin. Are we sure she is actually Sarah Palin or is that just another in a string of lies?

"Sarah Palin had a steamy extramarital affair with her husband's business partner."

---- Nice way to pick 'em you idiot Republicans.

Notice how loudly the McCain campaign is trying to fight this rumor...that no one had bothered to pay attention to before they started to scream about it.

How odd is this?

More importantly, how true is this? They were absolutely correct about her child Bristol being pregnant out of wedlock.
SHOVELHEAD

Glendale Springs, NC

#13 Sep 4, 2008
Grand Strand Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
To be completely honest on the political front I have not made up my mind yet on who to vote for I have always had no party affiliation and voted split ticket. I really do not know anything about the lady governor but i am reading and listening taking in imput. You are absolutely correct when you say whomever the vice president is can be one heartbeat away from being President. SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
Concerned

Sumter, SC

#14 Sep 4, 2008
Oregon is Disgusting wrote:
More fraud from Sarah Palin. Are we sure she is actually Sarah Palin or is that just another in a string of lies?
"Sarah Palin had a steamy extramarital affair with her husband's business partner."
---- Nice way to pick 'em you idiot Republicans.
Notice how loudly the McCain campaign is trying to fight this rumor...that no one had bothered to pay attention to before they started to scream about it.
How odd is this?
More importantly, how true is this? They were absolutely correct about her child Bristol being pregnant out of wedlock.
You actually htink we didn't know she was pregnant? They never denied that (at least by what I've read and heard).I sure they knew you couldn't hide that fact. What they have repeatadly denied is that Trig is Bristols baby.That was a rumor started by a 16 year old blogger and spread like wild fire. So be careful of the rumors you spread. I always question everything and follow and old journalism rule. Get 2 confirmations. I say old, because most mainstreams are just putting garbage out there without confirmation ie Dan Rather and Bush's military records.
Intruder

Phoenixville, PA

#15 Sep 4, 2008
I say forget the hype they throw out there and go with true experience. Whoever gets elected will notbe able to pull out of iraq overnight or ina year or less. Fact of life the war is there and so are we. Also whoever becomes potus is gonna have one hell of a big mess to clean up and fix this country back up. Other countries hate how we feel we can say or do anything but they can't when they do same thing we did or do. I also say if terrosit dont follow the geneva convention nor should we. take the gloves off our fighting forces let them really go after those who need to be dealt with and this will be over alot ooner. Tourture? They corner the market in it. We are treating them very easy. I say go all out hell or bust. If there is collateral damges then so what go for the throat of the beast and wipe em all out. once and for all to end it.
julia

Rockville, MD

#16 Oct 7, 2008
All rumors need to be checked out as there are too many bloggers sending trash out in hopes it will bring one candidate or the other crashing down. VERIFY everything-trust no one until you have. This atmosphere is going to poison the air forever for good people to decide to run for public office and then we'll have awful candidates running. So maybe we all need to back off and talk about issues----not looks, not gossip, not personality, not oratory skills but solid issues. We had a great ''talker'' in the Whitehouse and what did he do a large percentage of his presidency/ THATS RIGHT/ molested a Whitehouse intern. And others. Remember he had a business call with an important person in world affairs while the intern performed oral sex on him. He lied under oath. Those are facts. And he was impeached. So much for a fine orator, and a good mind. Lets talk substance-lets talk experience and lets be honest. The talk about McCain being a show-off in his early flying career is not surprising-many of our pilots are like that and were expecially dare devil in the 60ties/70ties. But things are sticter now. Anyway John McCaine himself has said he was a hot shot, egotistical, fast living guy. He admitted it and went on to say that he had time to think about the error of his ways while a POW for 5 and half years. He decided to change and live a better life and to change into a person who valued the important things in life and he has done that. That took a lot of courage. He did not talk the talk ---he walked the walk. Palin was a good pick - if it works to bring more votes in then good on John - if not, good on John. He did what he thought was right and not what all the talking heads and press would have liked. And anyway. isn't it something how many experts are on TV-seems everyone who has a degree in journalism thinks they are economic/defense/ social issues experts and yet all they have ever done is read teleprompters and / or share their own private thoughts and ideas as I am doing now. They never held office, say as a mayor, or govenor or sat a seat in Congress and yet they Know It All. So, it looks to me that Palin is several steps ahead...........she can learn what she needs to know and she already has leadership experience. Vote the issues. Vote the issues. And one more thing---------not all women think abortion is the answer. Many of us believe one should practise birth control and or give the unwanted baby away for adoption rather than kill it. Did you now the woman at the center of the Roe v Wade bill now states she REGRETS THE abotion she had and would change it if she could.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ketchikan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1 acre of land and house off the grid in tennessee May 13 Tennessee 1
News State ferries won't stop sailing April 16, afte... Mar '18 Linda 1
cruise west has drug lord martrix writter cut h... Dec '17 dodgers sellar 1
2001 september 11th cut samson hair cut wr lord... Dec '17 dodgers sellar 3
september 11th 2001 samson give me the strenth ... Dec '17 dodgers sellar 2
News Geoduck prices boost divers' bottom lines (Dec '09) Dec '17 dodgers sellar 2
News Bayview Cemetery holds memories, history and st... Nov '17 Linda Lacaze 1

Ketchikan Jobs

Personal Finance

Ketchikan Mortgages