Bridge really isn't necessary

Bridge really isn't necessary

There are 18 comments on the The Reporter story from Sep 23, 2008, titled Bridge really isn't necessary. In it, The Reporter reports that:

The so-called "Bridge to Nowhere" to be located in Ketchikan, Alaska, is absolutely not needed and is a frivolous waste of taxpayer money during these times of multi-billion dollar budget deficits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

Donald Amis - Vacaville

Lucena, Spain

#1 Sep 23, 2008
That's right. The bridge was not needed, and that's why Gov. Palin killed it shortly after she was elected.

While she was doing that, The Obama, The One, was busy picking the taxpayers' pockets for milions of dollars in earmarks to benefit, among others, that wacky minister of his and his wife's hospital. You know, the hospital that more than doubled her salary (for a nothing job) RIGHT AFTER after he was elected to the senate and started asking for earmarks.

While The Obama, The One, was doing all that, he was also rapidly becoming -- in a mere two years -- the NUMBER ONE recipient of bribe money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to kill meaningful reform legislation sought by President Bush that might have preveneted the current meltdown. He was in good company there, right up there with his running mate, Joe "The Lip" Biden.

But that's all OK, The One is gong to fix all these problems, thanks to his excellent advisors: Franklin Raines and Jim Johnson, both formerly of Fannie Mae and both of whom walked away with tens of millions of dollars in bonuses for the excellent jobs they did.

Governor Palin will bring true change and reform to Washington. The Obama, a Chicago poltical street thug at heart, will not.

anon

Concord, CA

#2 Sep 23, 2008
Why do you even care about a bridge in another state. Just something to blander about. If this is all you can write about against the caniditancy then you are hopeless. Most of Alaska is very rural as you state a town ot 7,000 is the 5 largest in the state. I lived in Alaska for 5 years and the life style is very different. You have an entire state with a polulation twice that of Solano and an area half the size as the lower 48 - there are many bridges that go nowhere. In fact all of the roads in Ketchikan go no where because you can not even drive there by car. It is as isolated as most of Alaska. If you do not like Palin or the Republican party pick a topic that has merrit to write about. A bridge that goes nowhere in a town where all the roads go nowhere is about as nowhere as your topic relates to the election.
Anthony

United States

#3 Sep 23, 2008
Palin was happy to let the rest of us taxpayers pay for that bridge. She only was against it when Congress pulled the plug and Alaska had to pay for it.

The bridge is not important but the fact that she's now lying about it is.
Michael

Fairfield, CA

#4 Sep 23, 2008
Really ? Is that the best you liberals can do ? Perhaps you should worry about you own state's $2 billion DEFECIT instead of what Sarah Palin was doing with a SURPLUS in Alaska. Or worry about the steep increase you will be paying in taxes if you put that inexperienced, anti-American in office, whose wife and preacher hate, and are ashamed of America.
MIke

United States

#5 Sep 23, 2008
Come on Eddie! Quit the stonewalling and answer this...

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.(D), who are you?

Your second choice... do you know the whereabouts of Norman Shu, Charlie Tree, and Johnny Chung?

Gees! Gov. Palin is only running for the VP slot and and such worry is frothing forth from the Dark-Side! Delicious, isn't it!
ornery

United States

#6 Sep 23, 2008
MIke wrote:
Come on Eddie! Quit the stonewalling and answer this...
Your second choice... do you know the whereabouts of Norman Shu, Charlie Tree, and Johnny Chung?
Gees! Gov. Palin is only running for the VP slot and and such worry is frothing forth from the Dark-Side! Delicious, isn't it!
Yes, It is great. All the liberals with the mental disorder are scared to death. I love it. Attack Palin more you imbeciles
Anthony

Redwood City, CA

#7 Sep 23, 2008
I notice none of the I Love Palin crowd is willing to discuss her failings that have been put forth. Their only response is insults and changing the subject. But I guess that is the way of the GOP.
mr vacaville

El Sobrante, CA

#8 Sep 23, 2008
The "failings that have been put forth" are not discussed because they are not perceived as failings.
Anthony

Redwood City, CA

#9 Sep 23, 2008
Lying and abuse of power are certainly not failings to Republicans. They are normal.
Michael

Fairfield, CA

#10 Sep 23, 2008
Anthony wrote:
Lying and abuse of power are certainly not failings to Republicans. They are normal.
I think Bill Clinton wrote the book on lying and abuse of power, yet the liberals still love him. Go figure.
Herold Bolquist

United States

#11 Sep 23, 2008
Obama is a great talker.Joe"the mouth"Biden, another talker. They talk change, Palin delivered change. No wonder they are scared! Democrats talk about equal rights for women and minorities, and that's all it is, is talk!
Festus

Suisun City, CA

#12 Sep 23, 2008
MIke wrote:
Every time you post, you ask this question. Why don't you look for the answer yourself?

To the letter writer Mr. Stahl. The bridge you are concerned about won't be built but Alaska kept the money anyway. Alaska gets so much much money from the oil companies, they have no income or sales tax, yet their lone congressman and two Senators are some of the biggest porkers. Now their governor is giving us speeches about fiscal responsibilty.
Teech

United States

#13 Sep 24, 2008
Sorry, I too have been to K-Town and hauling gear from a truck to a ferry up a long ramp and then into the trermial is not fun....late for a plane done. Not top mention the little flat land to build homes an businesses.....Should have been built
Richard Erskine

Dublin, CA

#14 Sep 24, 2008
You may have visited a few times, but you sure don't have your facts straight.

The primary reason given for the bridge is access to the airport, however, the main benefit would be to access the vast amount of land that is only accessible on foot.
mr vacaville

El Sobrante, CA

#15 Sep 24, 2008
Anthony wrote:
Are you really gonna go with that and expect anything positive? Or did you just read the Dem's "be in their face" mandate? Maybe it draws an "atta boy" when you're all sitting around the clubhouse...
Glib McGliberson

Irvine, CA

#16 Sep 24, 2008
Blah Blah Blah Obama Bad Blah Blah Liberal Blah Blah Blah Liberal ACLU Blah Blah Raise Taxes Blah Blah Blah Michelle Obama Ugly Blah Blah Terrorism Blah Blah 9/11 Blah Blah.
You guys bore me. Perhaps turn off the talk radio a bit?
More of the Same

Angwin, CA

#17 Sep 24, 2008
Providing jobs to hard working people will allow then to purchase food for their family.
sti3402

Alberton, MT

#18 Sep 30, 2008
While Eddie you do not do business there. When I lived there I had to go to the Airport to pick up freight in my car I lost more mufflers having to go on the fairy, the police would just shake his head and all I could do was shrug my shoulders and put on a new one I even had them welded on. It would have been nice to have a road to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ketchikan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In Southeast Alaska town, roaming grizzlies, no... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Ben 1
News $35 airfare and a cheap Alaska cruise: the week... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Ann Marie 1
Good Doctor (Nov '15) Apr '16 zeke the pinhead 2
Looking for a nice , Busty Pinhead woman, Kleutsch (Apr '16) Apr '16 zeke the pinhead 1
News Mat-Su gets good news in effort to offload ferr... (Mar '16) Mar '16 ann 1
News Screen grab from NOAA, taken 4:30 p.m. on Oct. ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 raggsncody 1
Halibut fishing (Jul '15) Jul '15 Tom 1

Ketchikan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ketchikan Mortgages