Trial for Former Boy Scout Leader Pos...

Trial for Former Boy Scout Leader Postponed Until June

There are 8 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Trial for Former Boy Scout Leader Postponed Until June. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Trial for a former Albemarle County Boy Scouts leader facing a child sex crime charge has been postponed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Keswick Resident

Richmond, VA

#1 Apr 1, 2013
I hope this isn't an APRIL FOOLS -- this guy really needs to be sentenced and put away for life!!

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#2 Apr 1, 2013
Don't know why he is postponing the inevitable--he should like jail--just close his eyes and pretend his cellmates are little boys.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Apr 1, 2013
Keswick Resident wrote:
I hope this isn't an APRIL FOOLS -- this guy really needs to be sentenced and put away for life!!
That's what Dumler said....
central va marine

Earlysville, VA

#4 Apr 2, 2013
While not knowing the facts of the investigation or the Commonwealth's case, just the information that has been released, one count seems very thin. I cannot imagine the trauma this one person who came forward has gone through. I can only admire him for his courage.

With the behavioral information that has been previously released, and just the comments in the past on this site, there appears to be others who has experienced the same hurt. One person posted in November that their brother had suffered at the hands of this "thing".

Since it is obvious that the Commonwealth's Attorney's office has handled this one person's complaint with the upmost of confidence, I hope some of the other victims, who are now young men and who experienced the same traumas will come forward, to make certain this person never sees the free light of day again. I would think the Prosecutor's office would welcome more information to strengthen their case.

And Watkins deserves nothing less.

more to come
Central Va Mom

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 2, 2013
I know this will be an unpopular comment, but I have to express it. I am baffled and dismayed by how long a person can be held in jail without a trial in our country. If this incident actually happened, and if it was back in 2005, with no further alleged victims coming forward, it seems doubtful that this man would have been a threat to the community if allowed out on bail, awaiting trail. There are child predators all over every community. If he is found innocent, how can he even pick up the pieces and repair a ruined life, now having lost his business? I do not mean to say the young man who came forward is lying. I am just saying we really do not have a legal system that allows for a fair trial and presumed innocence until proven guilty. I attended a meeting of the Scout Troop involved, soon after the arrest, as my son is a member. In attendance were the detectives and other prosecution staff,and the case was presented as a presumption of the man's guilt, and felt like a witch trial to me. I am praying for everyone involved, including all the Boy Scouts who got so much out of their association with Mr. Watkins as their mentor and leader. Some are still disbelieving the accusations; some are feeling betrayed by a man they trusted; and some are now trying to make sense of the perplexities of human nature, and the evil things people are capable of doing to each other. If Mr. Watkins is proven guilty, I know he will be further punished for ruining a kid's life. I pray for him and his family, too. I have hated reading the character assassinations of Mr. Watkins in the news and in these comments. It is understandable that he is considered a hated villan even before his trial, but let's be fair about this case and allow a man to have his trial. OK, I am now braced for the fire storm of comments against what I have written.
central va marine

Earlysville, VA

#6 Apr 2, 2013
With a Grand Jury hearing behind Mr Watkins, he was ready to plea guilty, according to stories in the press. As for his time spent in custody awaiting trial, this is not unusual in severe circumstances.

Reading the full text of Central Va Mom's posting, and knowing what I know, I can not understand why anyone would waste their time commenting on your writings. Your sympathies are misplaced and your effort for attention should be ignored.

I still encourage anyone who was assaulted by this "Thing" to contact the Albemarle County Commonwealth Attorney. This person should not be free to commit such crimes again on young boys.

more to come

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#7 Apr 2, 2013
Central VA Mom: Had this "man" been prosecuted back in 2005 when this first came to light, he would still be in jail where he belongs. He got a reprieve of seven years, to say the least.

His victim hasn't had a reprieve and never will. The worst thing that happened was that this media outlet identified the victim/accuser, all but by name. That would most likely put a stop to any more victims coming forward.
seeing red

Scottsville, VA

#8 Jun 4, 2013
why can you not comment on the current story about Watkins being in court on June 4????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Castle coming to Charlottesville? Jun 20 Uva girl 2
Wes Bellamy - The repeatedly arrested Vice Mayo... Jun 19 NotWesBellamy 1
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert (May '14) Jun 18 Steve 6
News Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Jun 16 DEVGOD 136
Trump wants you to watch and inform on your nei... Jun 16 Sad Day for US 1
Bamboo in Charlottesville? Jun 15 Jungle Boy 2
Kayla from hardees Jun 13 creamy good 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keswick Mortgages