Widening 250 at Pantops Tops Proposed...

Widening 250 at Pantops Tops Proposed List of Long Range Project - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA...

There are 15 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 23, 2012, titled Widening 250 at Pantops Tops Proposed List of Long Range Project - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Bulldozers are far from breaking ground, but a number of new transportation projects could soon be in the pipeline in Charlottesville and Albemarle County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

TEX

Earlysville, VA

#1 May 24, 2012
How about a project to correct the collapse of pavement on rt 729 between Milton and rt 53? that spot has the potential to cost someone their life. the striped barrel is a poor solution to this hazzard I believe the spot is referred to as "possum hollow"
MEX

Bassett, VA

#2 May 24, 2012
how about adding more high density housing so we have more cars in a smaller area or better yet have 6 lanes funnel into 4 or adding more stop lights?

the new sidewalks seemed to reduce traffic by 50% i'd say. maybe we need a 6 lane sidewalk!
GoUVa

Bristow, VA

#3 May 24, 2012
TEX wrote:
How about a project to correct the collapse of pavement on rt 729 between Milton and rt 53? that spot has the potential to cost someone their life. the striped barrel is a poor solution to this hazzard I believe the spot is referred to as "possum hollow"
My first day as President of "possum hollow" I plan on running big oils pipe line from Canada thru California back thru Pennsylvania and ending in "possum hollow" at the new refinery I plan on building in Wales. This should create jobs for everybody in Mexico. In the mean time, I'm going to watch some of those barrels strip with my buddy W!
Hoo

Charlottesville, VA

#4 May 24, 2012
MEX wrote:
how about adding more high density housing so we have more cars in a smaller area
Somebody already thought of that, a city.
How about we GPS a large sample of vehicles using 250, capture their origin and destination routes for several months or a year, crunch the data to come up with the best solution for transportation funds.
Feed the Poor

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 24, 2012
Hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody already thought of that, a city.
How about we GPS a large sample of vehicles using 250, capture their origin and destination routes for several months or a year, crunch the data to come up with the best solution for transportation funds.
.....and then sit on the funds for 30 years and not use them and fight the use of the funds when they are about to be revoked, like the bypass.
Be more proactive

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 24, 2012
They allow a bunch of development on Pantops but do not have the infastructure in place until it's too late...make the developers pay for it next time!
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 24, 2012
Wait -- that little brat in the Brown's commercial claims I can drive from Pantops to UVa for $0.45 a day!

Maybe it's the middle of the night ...

And you have to hit all the green lights ...
gah

Charlottesville, VA

#8 May 24, 2012
Gru wrote:
Wait -- that little brat in the Brown's commercial
, the one with marbles in her mouth?
TEX

Earlysville, VA

#9 May 24, 2012
GoUVa wrote:
<quoted text>My first day as President of "possum hollow" I plan on running big oils pipe line from Canada thru California back thru Pennsylvania and ending in "possum hollow" at the new refinery I plan on building in Wales. This should create jobs for everybody in Mexico. In the mean time, I'm going to watch some of those barrels strip with my buddy W!
with you around the squirrels will never go hungry for you are truly nuts
Heh

Charlottesville, VA

#10 May 24, 2012
Be more proactive wrote:
They allow a bunch of development on Pantops but do not have the infastructure in place until it's too late...make the developers pay for it next time!
Thats called payola. Why do you think we have politicians? They hold out their hands while letting their buddies build whatever they want.
George S

Jemison, AL

#11 May 24, 2012
Each morning, commuters drive as slow as ten miles per hour. This ridiculous snail-speed is half the cause of the traffic jam, the other half is traffic light at the bridge.

To have traffic like the start of the Daytona 500 crawling at only ten mph followed by nearly half of that traffic funnelling onto East High Street is a bad mixture.

Get the police out there.
George S

Jemison, AL

#12 May 24, 2012
MEX wrote:
how about adding more high density housing so we have more cars in a smaller area or better yet have 6 lanes funnel into 4 or adding more stop lights?
the new sidewalks seemed to reduce traffic by 50% i'd say. maybe we need a 6 lane sidewalk!
More stop lights seems to be the favorite 'improvement' for both the C-ville and Albemarle governments.

They added 18 lights in the mid-1990s and caused a 30 miniute drive to become a two-hour drive.
George S

Jemison, AL

#13 May 24, 2012
Hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody already thought of that, a city.
How about we GPS a large sample of vehicles using 250, capture their origin and destination routes for several months or a year, crunch the data to come up with the best solution for transportation funds.
A simpler, less expensive solution would be to put people in office who know what a straight line is rather than people who specify, approve, and build roads which look like someone wents nuts with a can of Silly String.

The sum of the crunched numbers of the real world are:

Needlessly winding roads, plus very low speed limits, plus, an over-abundance of traffic light set to the wrong speeds, plus, people who have no clue how to drive, equals a bad traffic problem.

As we speak, local government officials are planning to make it worse.
Pedaleur

Marietta, GA

#14 May 24, 2012
George S wrote:
<quoted text>
The sum of the crunched numbers of the real world are:
Needlessly winding roads, plus very low speed limits, plus, an over-abundance of traffic light set to the wrong speeds, plus, people who have no clue how to drive, equals a bad traffic problem.
You must be one of 'those' drivers...

Anyway. The trouble isn't development on Pantops, per se, but the people who move out to the gated communities or the woods and are shocked -- shocked!-- to discover that when everyone else does, somehow a single bridge crossing becomes a bottleneck.

It's not that I want you to be stuck in traffic, but it's kind of hard to work up a whole lot of sympathy.
yepper

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 24, 2012
Whenthey replaced Free Bridge a couple of years ago they messed up big time and stuck us with this mess. Between the two grades of Pantops and the bypass they could of constructed a raised thruway bypassing the intersection at the bridge altogether. Access and exit from this bypass could still of been accomplished to quam the nerves of retailers who run this dumpy town. So, what are they gonna do? widen it and add more lights? right that'll fix it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black superheroes rising in popularity Jan 18 Blankman 1
part time job opening - trash butler. Jan 11 Trash Butler 1
Hey detective Randy Snead they better detective... (Feb '16) Jan 10 a concerned citizen 27
News Police Investigate Incident between Student and... (May '13) Jul '13 Chickensheet redneck 52
News Ashanti Farm to Go Up for Auction (Jul '13) Jul '13 Rob Weiman 25
News Trial for Former Boy Scout Leader Postponed Unt... (Apr '13) Jun '13 seeing red 8
News Crews Respond to House Fire in Keswick (May '13) May '13 Old Hare 13

Keswick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keswick Mortgages