First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pedro

Texarkana, AR

#1 Aug 29, 2011
Is there any sort of a group or meeing place for free thinkers, progressives, and atheists, in the Kerrville area? San Antonio is a bit far; surely there are people in Kerr Co. who would like to meet up and discuss relevant issues, like: should the bible be taught in public school? or , atheists are just as intelligent as anyone else; or even, would you do business at a progressive owned haberdashery?
What does Kerrville have to say ?
Black Jesus

Waco, TX

#2 Aug 29, 2011
I dont think so, but there should be. For a safe refuge in troubled times see:

http://tx.cpusa.org/school/
Mothmantis

Kerrville, TX

#3 Sep 21, 2011
I'm one of like three atheists I know in Kerrville/Kerr County, and the other two aren't really interested in any kind of political or progressive issues. I don't know of any groups or meet-ups. It'd be nice if there was, but every time I mention my 'pinko troublemaker' beliefs someone threatens to lynch or deport me (back to Montana I assume,) or accuses me of trying to turn their children into gay satanist heroin addicts or some crazy nonsense like that.
luis

Del Valle, TX

#4 Sep 21, 2011
no there no group. there ppl but they dont really care about talking about it. if we did it will make us like them

Since: Oct 11

Kerrville, TX

#5 Oct 2, 2011
There is not any church in Kerr County that would not welcome an atheist into their discussion groups to express their views and give supportive dialogue. If you truly can justify your belief that there is no god, please call any church and ask where you might best participate.

If a small group of atheists got together, would you not be sharing your belief system and isn't that how religion is defined? Just a group of people with a belief system getting together.
Pufferfish

Austin, TX

#6 Oct 12, 2011
So I take there is no group and none have formed? I will be moving there soon and would like to be able to have a group of like minded freethinkers.
Mothmantis

Kerrville, TX

#7 Oct 12, 2011
There was a society of Freethinkers in the Hill Country back in the 1850's, centered in Comfort. They were slightly killed by Confederate soldiers for being conscientious objectors to the Civil War. There's a monument out there. Anyway, we could try to give it another shot, although I imagine it may not lead to much more than three or four guys in a Facebook group.
Pufferfish

Austin, TX

#8 Oct 13, 2011
What about four guys and a cup of coffee once a week?

Kerrville, TX

#9 Oct 14, 2011
Let's see its been ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS and you guys want to revive an idea that didn't work then? And here's how you want to do it: over coffee amongst yourselves? Wow, how is that progressive? If your ideas only work amongst yourselves and won't stand up to discussion amongst others in the community, I don't think you have a viable religion in atheism, do you?

I'll be looking for your haberdashery - used to be an employee of the president of the national association. Of course I won't buy anything from you but I'll want to join your coffee group and give you some challenges you need to consider. If y'all are just going to sit around and pat each other on the back, your positions will be weak.
Pufferfish

Austin, TX

#10 Oct 14, 2011
Wayne, I am not sure I understand your desire for debate. That attitude is one of many reasons I started to wonder what christianity and religion was all about.

I have no desire to debate you or anyone for that matter. I have had enough discussions with other people in my life without having to go and look for a fight. I simply want to be around like non theistic non religious and reasonably minded people.

You wish to practice your form of worship without interference. I would think being an american with first amendment rights you would extend the same respect you wish to have receive from others.

The goal of such debates is not to exchange ideas and learn it usually seems to be so one party can bash another. I don't have time for that and feel it is not productive and would do nothing to change anyone's mind or even enlighten anyone.

Thanks but no thanks...

Kerrville, TX

#11 Oct 15, 2011
You are discussing "debate". I offered "dialogue". Big difference my friend.
Mothmantis

Kerrville, TX

#12 Oct 15, 2011
Pufferfish: I'd be all for a weekly meetup. I'm hesitant to give out contact details on here, but you can reach me through my blog at
http://mothmantis-twoandahalfstars.blogspot.c...
with a time and place and I'll get back to you. I like the idea of exchanging ideas and learning about each others experiences.
Mothmantis

Ingram, TX

#13 Nov 29, 2011
I just noticed your reply. I sent you an email from my personal email addy at yahoo.

ciao
Pedro

Deport, TX

#14 Mar 12, 2012
What the christians in these posts still fail to grasp is that we don't want to go to their meetings, aka religious services, and tell them that they are wrong, nor do we want them to come to ours for the same reason. For one, I enjoy discussing whether or not the bible should be taught in Texas public schools (Yes, it is being taught, now).
Joe

Ingram, TX

#15 Mar 12, 2012
Mothmantis wrote:
I just noticed your reply. I sent you an email from my personal email addy at yahoo.
ciao
I never got your email Moth... it may have gone to my spam box for some reason. If you would reply again I will keep an eye out for it...
Joe

Ingram, TX

#16 Mar 12, 2012
Pedro wrote:
What the christians in these posts still fail to grasp is that we don't want to go to their meetings, aka religious services, and tell them that they are wrong, nor do we want them to come to ours for the same reason. For one, I enjoy discussing whether or not the bible should be taught in Texas public schools (Yes, it is being taught, now).
I agree Pedro. I enjoy debates with open minded individuals and if there were some new empirical evidence to prove the christian god is real, i would listen. Most times when you enter into discussions with religious people, the dogma stick comes out. I don't have time in my life for dogmas, conjectures and myths. I have a brother who is a fundamentalist preacher and I have my fill of such things.
There are all these claims that their perception of god is love, yet they are quick to jump on the bandwagon to head off to war, perpetuate bigotry, racism and sexism.
Pedro

Deport, TX

#17 Mar 13, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Pedro. I enjoy debates with open minded individuals and if there were some new empirical evidence to prove the christian god is real, i would listen. Most times when you enter into discussions with religious people, the dogma stick comes out. I don't have time in my life for dogmas, conjectures and myths. I have a brother who is a fundamentalist preacher and I have my fill of such things.
There are all these claims that their perception of god is love, yet they are quick to jump on the bandwagon to head off to war, perpetuate bigotry, racism and sexism.
Oh, you poor fellow, with such a brother. On the other hand, there is a lot of fun in fundies. Yeah, the usual routine from christians to me is : you're wrong, I feel sorry for you, yer ignernt, you will birn in hell (and finally), you should be thrown out of the country or killed.
When I get moved there, we'll test the waters and see if non believers can meet without interference from religionists. We failed in Texarkana: too much ugliness, threats, and one person said they would come to our meetings and disrupt them.
SixPanda

Kerrville, TX

#18 Mar 15, 2012
I'd be interested participating in a discussion between theists and atheists in Kerrville. I'm not sure such a thing is possible, though. I have found myself claiming to be a Christian when asked to avoid the let's-get-you-saved discussion. It's quite a hassle being godless in Texas.
Fred

Austin, TX

#19 Mar 29, 2012
Another atheist here. Did this group ever get off the ground?
mothmantis

Kerrville, TX

#20 Mar 31, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I never got your email Moth... it may have gone to my spam box for some reason. If you would reply again I will keep an eye out for it...
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I changed email accounts so I don't have your email anymore. If you or anyone else is interested in setting something up, hit me up through the blog. My schedule's crazy busy lately, but I could commit to Wednesday or Sunday evening at Denny's or Ihop or something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kerrville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vidal delgado (Dec '15) 23 hr Lily1956 4
police Fri Tom 1
Apartments in outskirts Jun 22 Bob 3
anyone remember Christopher Driskell? (Mar '09) Jun 18 Tom 8
Center Point, the most incest little town in Texas (Feb '06) Jun 15 Gigi69 21
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
fbg pd Jun 10 Bob 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kerrville Mortgages