Walnut Cove: Possibly Disbanding Police

There are 20 comments on the WFMY 2 Greensboro story from Apr 5, 2013, titled Walnut Cove: Possibly Disbanding Police. In it, WFMY 2 Greensboro reports that:

We count on first responders to have our communities covered. So what happens when a town considers getting rid of its police department? This could soon be a reality for Walnut Cove in Stokes County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMY 2 Greensboro.

Robert Polston

King, NC

#62 Jul 24, 2013
After July 31st Stokes County Sheriff's Office will conduct a "roundup" and will probably call it, "Operation Cove." When Marshall orchestrates these "stings" what has actually happened is a deputy has stopped a car or went to a house months earlier and has found drugs. The drugs are seized and the day before the operation the deputies go to the magistrate's office, where they obtain arrest warrants. The next day they serve the warrants and call it an operation. Now why is it a bad idea to do this?
1. You are leaving a criminal on the streets to do whatever they choose to do.
2. The motivation behind this is to gain publicity.
Walnut Cove, wake up this is what you are getting.
Also, you say that all officers are equal. Wrong! Yes, they have all been certified by the state. Yes, they are required to complete standard training. However, that training is just that, standard. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not enforce speed limits or driving while impaired offenses. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not have any certified Field Training Officers. This means that new deputies are training newer deputies. The leadership is a joke. They promote deputies using the Good Ol' Boy system, which should be considered a major liability. As of today, there is only five deputies that patrol the entire county. Backup is at times twenty five minutes away or greater. What does this mean? Well, say if you have a guy shooting at people in the street at 3am, when the first deputy arrives and is shot because his agency has failed to give him tactical training, which is not standard, the next deputy will take 20 minutes to arrive. Let's hope this doesn't happen but it is a possibility that the citizens must think about. Also, what someone said earlier about the deputies low income is pretty accurate. Most deputies in Stokes make about $28,000/year. So what type of deputies are you getting? The ones that other agencies will not hire or have been fired. Now, that is some truth.
Sad

Burlington, NC

#63 Jul 24, 2013
Thats the Whole Truth...... Your Correct on all Corners of that statement. Brightside might have to find out the hard way =-} I feel sorry for the citizens of Walnut Cove there are some really good people.
Anna

Thomasville, NC

#64 Jul 24, 2013
Why in the world would a city get rid of their police? Also, all of these people talking bad about their Chief sound like they have had some negative experiences such as been arrested. Love how all of you hate the Chief but love the Sheriff. Probably because the Sheriff won't enforce laws. Dumb criminals.
Robert Polston

Thomasville, NC

#65 Jul 24, 2013
Williams for Sheriff! lol
Robert Williams Aka Chad

Columbia, SC

#66 Jul 24, 2013
You are funny
Robert Williams Aka Chad

Columbia, SC

#67 Jul 24, 2013
Funny Chad
Truth

King, NC

#68 Jul 24, 2013
It is ALL about TRUTH! You, who are posting fabrications and garbage about the Stokes County Sheriff ARE NOT ABOUT TRUTH!! You are obviously holding anger and resentment as if you are personally involved in the Walnut Cove situation!! MUST HAVE A PERSONAL AXE TO GRIND!!! Many of the ones that are writing this trash are not ABOUT THE TRUTH AT ALL!!!
digger

Clayton, NC

#69 Jul 24, 2013
I agree with Truth
robert polston

Clayton, NC

#70 Jul 24, 2013
it isn't me I am not chad!!!!
Truth

Fayetteville, NC

#71 Jul 25, 2013
Thanks digger! The Truth is, this Walnut Cove issue has come about by the elected officials of the town. The Democratic Process at work! It is NOT the time or place to bash the Sheriffs Office or Police Officers who ALL have taken an oath to protect and serve! We should be GRATEFUL for their service to the County and to our society! We also should respect our elected officials who serve in these thankless roles of government! Let's REMEMBER, ITS ALL ABOUT THE TRUTH!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
Dummies

New York, NY

#72 Jul 25, 2013
It's not all about the truth. Sharon Conaway wouldn't know the truth if it got her upside the head. Some very shady deals have been made, and no doubt some pockets have been lined.

Walnut Cove is corrupt, and there's not much any of us can do about it at this point.
Brightside

Clayton, NC

#73 Jul 26, 2013
Jokes county sheriff wrote:
Mike Marshall a celebrity lmao. What a joke! Have you seen that dudes teeth? Looks like he smokes crack and his deputies are worthless. Stokes County Sheriffs Office is the dumping grounds for all other agencies. No one wants these busted ass officers so they go to Stokes. They are inexperienced and their 14 different types of uniforms look terrible. Not to mention that half of them are on welfare because they make 8$ an hour. By the way, what kind of officers you think you will get for 8$ an hour? Good luck Walnut Cove!
Your name fits you.. You are a joke..Jealous much or just childish Chad! Not one thing you said is true, its a shame that people sit behind a computer and make up things like a 5 year old..
Brightside

Clayton, NC

#74 Jul 26, 2013
Robert Polston wrote:
After July 31st Stokes County Sheriff's Office will conduct a "roundup" and will probably call it, "Operation Cove." When Marshall orchestrates these "stings" what has actually happened is a deputy has stopped a car or went to a house months earlier and has found drugs. The drugs are seized and the day before the operation the deputies go to the magistrate's office, where they obtain arrest warrants. The next day they serve the warrants and call it an operation. Now why is it a bad idea to do this?
1. You are leaving a criminal on the streets to do whatever they choose to do.
2. The motivation behind this is to gain publicity.
Walnut Cove, wake up this is what you are getting.
Also, you say that all officers are equal. Wrong! Yes, they have all been certified by the state. Yes, they are required to complete standard training. However, that training is just that, standard. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not enforce speed limits or driving while impaired offenses. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not have any certified Field Training Officers. This means that new deputies are training newer deputies. The leadership is a joke. They promote deputies using the Good Ol' Boy system, which should be considered a major liability. As of today, there is only five deputies that patrol the entire county. Backup is at times twenty five minutes away or greater. What does this mean? Well, say if you have a guy shooting at people in the street at 3am, when the first deputy arrives and is shot because his agency has failed to give him tactical training, which is not standard, the next deputy will take 20 minutes to arrive. Let's hope this doesn't happen but it is a possibility that the citizens must think about. Also, what someone said earlier about the deputies low income is pretty accurate. Most deputies in Stokes make about $28,000/year. So what type of deputies are you getting? The ones that other agencies will not hire or have been fired. Now, that is some truth.
Little one sided here don't ya think. You forgot that you get nothing with the Walnut Cove Police but inexperience. Whiny people make it up as they go.. You people just make me wonder what you are even talking about.. It is not facts!
Brightside

Clayton, NC

#75 Jul 26, 2013
Anna wrote:
Why in the world would a city get rid of their police? Also, all of these people talking bad about their Chief sound like they have had some negative experiences such as been arrested. Love how all of you hate the Chief but love the Sheriff. Probably because the Sheriff won't enforce laws. Dumb criminals.
They will find out how laws are enforced after the 31st. I and most others don't hate the Chief but just want somebody with more experience and the ability to manage his department to be doing the job and not trying to spend the town into bankruptcy.
Chad Williams is a boss

King, NC

#76 Jul 26, 2013
Chad Williams is the man. Enough said.
Chad is an ass

Winston Salem, NC

#77 Jul 28, 2013
Goodbye crybaby you should have been wise. The way I see it is you have sit on your ass. Since the good news got broke too you. At least you can finely see who it feels to be striped and shipped out the door. You never was a chief but a show boat only you missed managed miss ran and ran good officers away. Just face it you useless piece of trash if you were doing your job the police department would still be here and to read in the paper you are wanting to run for city commissioner. I am still laughing from reading that I mean laughing my ass off. You don't stand a chance you can't run a department you surely don't thank you can run the town as a commissioner. You are making your self look very stupid dumb ass. Goodbye little bitty baby chad I have a tissue for you.
Hey Robert

Winston Salem, NC

#78 Jul 28, 2013
Robert Polston wrote:
After July 31st Stokes County Sheriff's Office will conduct a "roundup" and will probably call it, "Operation Cove." When Marshall orchestrates these "stings" what has actually happened is a deputy has stopped a car or went to a house months earlier and has found drugs. The drugs are seized and the day before the operation the deputies go to the magistrate's office, where they obtain arrest warrants. The next day they serve the warrants and call it an operation. Now why is it a bad idea to do this?
1. You are leaving a criminal on the streets to do whatever they choose to do.
2. The motivation behind this is to gain publicity.
Walnut Cove, wake up this is what you are getting.
Also, you say that all officers are equal. Wrong! Yes, they have all been certified by the state. Yes, they are required to complete standard training. However, that training is just that, standard. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not enforce speed limits or driving while impaired offenses. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not have any certified Field Training Officers. This means that new deputies are training newer deputies. The leadership is a joke. They promote deputies using the Good Ol' Boy system, which should be considered a major liability. As of today, there is only five deputies that patrol the entire county. Backup is at times twenty five minutes away or greater. What does this mean? Well, say if you have a guy shooting at people in the street at 3am, when the first deputy arrives and is shot because his agency has failed to give him tactical training, which is not standard, the next deputy will take 20 minutes to arrive. Let's hope this doesn't happen but it is a possibility that the citizens must think about. Also, what someone said earlier about the deputies low income is pretty accurate. Most deputies in Stokes make about $28,000/year. So what type of deputies are you getting? The ones that other agencies will not hire or have been fired. Now, that is some truth.
Hey Robert I bought a power ball ticket will I win. Since you thank you know so much when you don't know shit Chad. You bald headed bastard.
Robert Polston

King, NC

#79 Jul 29, 2013
I see that none of you people have never won a spelling bee. You deserve SCSO.
Robert Polston

King, NC

#80 Jul 29, 2013
I thank Mike Marshall is gawd. Finely, Walnut Cove gets sum gud lawd umforcmunt.
Jokes County Really

Winston Salem, NC

#81 Jul 30, 2013
Robert Polston wrote:
After July 31st Stokes County Sheriff's Office will conduct a "roundup" and will probably call it, "Operation Cove." When Marshall orchestrates these "stings" what has actually happened is a deputy has stopped a car or went to a house months earlier and has found drugs. The drugs are seized and the day before the operation the deputies go to the magistrate's office, where they obtain arrest warrants. The next day they serve the warrants and call it an operation. Now why is it a bad idea to do this?
1. You are leaving a criminal on the streets to do whatever they choose to do.
2. The motivation behind this is to gain publicity.
Walnut Cove, wake up this is what you are getting.
Also, you say that all officers are equal. Wrong! Yes, they have all been certified by the state. Yes, they are required to complete standard training. However, that training is just that, standard. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not enforce speed limits or driving while impaired offenses. Stokes County Sheriff's Office does not have any certified Field Training Officers. This means that new deputies are training newer deputies. The leadership is a joke. They promote deputies using the Good Ol' Boy system, which should be considered a major liability. As of today, there is only five deputies that patrol the entire county. Backup is at times twenty five minutes away or greater. What does this mean? Well, say if you have a guy shooting at people in the street at 3am, when the first deputy arrives and is shot because his agency has failed to give him tactical training, which is not standard, the next deputy will take 20 minutes to arrive. Let's hope this doesn't happen but it is a possibility that the citizens must think about. Also, what someone said earlier about the deputies low income is pretty accurate. Most deputies in Stokes make about $28,000/year. So what type of deputies are you getting? The ones that other agencies will not hire or have been fired. Now, that is some truth.
Yep your right about a lot of this. I fly pass them all the time. Was stopped only once by that big bull dog. And he actually was pretty cool. I hope that we can get a good cop here and all of this stokes county walnut cove bs can be put to rest.$28,000 thousand aint ish. Some of them deserve more. And the good ole boy system is in full effect there. There is a rookie deputy running the detectives and that's fact because of his daddy. There are folks promoted to supervisor that dont have a damn clue on how to supervise. And they passed up a 10 year vet to let another rookie become supervisor over a shift. Paaalease are you serious come on. Politics at stokes county are pretty serious. If you dont know anyone there you can for get it.And Chad Williams is still a man with a family. Yep he may have messed up somethings. But he still have family that he needs to take care of.I know Mike Marshall and I think he would work hard for walnut cove. Give him a chance to do that. But some of the supervisors you have in place are a damn joke. Good luck to you walnut cove and good luck to the walnut cove police officers that had to deal with this Political BS that had nothing to do with them. They also have familes too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kernersville Area Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 4 hr I lived to tell t... 6,579
sunshine littrell aka sunny (Jul '13) Apr 24 may 5
News Former Sheriff Gerald Hege Files to Run Again (Feb '10) Apr 22 Sherman 149
News Filling the Need: Orthodontist one of few who a... (Sep '06) Apr 21 sweet 1 336
Melody Ann Shepherd Apr 19 Good deed is puni... 1
I am looking for the best divorce attorney I ca... (Aug '13) Apr 17 calebhart54 10
michelle Apr 15 hello 1
More from around the web

Kernersville Area People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]