United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

The bus ad proclaims "Millions of Americans are Good Without God."
I ask, Without God, What is the standard for Good?

“I AM THE ONE”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Just 4 words:: To each there own.

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Many people in this world live without "God" as we know him... we don't have to have "God" as the standard of good vs. evil. This is the USA, people have the right to believe in whatever religion they want to. I am not anti-Christian... in fact, I am Christian. But, since this is the USA I support the right for the atheists to put up an ad just as much as I support a Christian church to put one up.
athest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Christians are allowed without controversy to put out there msg.why does it become a problem when we speak our minds and try to get americans or people in general to wake up and realize the lie there living.

“Boy Eats Own Foot”

Since: Aug 08

Kermit, Texas - Now Dallas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

There is a distinction between the Christian message and these atheist messages. Your message has been developed with the explicit intention of harassing people of belief. In what sense is the negative harassment of religion just? The Christian message on the other hand is positive and speaks of love and faith. If you donít believe in God what justifies your desire to shake everyone elseís faith? Seems like it should make no difference to you. I too support the right to put up the atheist messages in Ft Worth. I just question the reasoning behind doing so. No good can come of it. Itís just going to piss people off.

“I AM THE ONE”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

I agree with you gene(for a change) I have a feeling it's going to stir up something bad. Each one should the right to put up the signs. Even if it's right or wrong. The bad thing is that one of the two is going to try and shove the other one's belief down the others throat. Like I said before to each his own. And yes I do think there's other reasons behind it.
True atheist

Monahans, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Wow, hold on just a minute now. Atheists are harassed non-stop by Christians, for you thinking we're the ones trying to harass anyone.

I'll give you plenty of examples.

1) The "I'm better than you" complex: This is a classic one where the Christian feels that their belief makes them superior to those who don't believe. If you don't think this happens, you're blind. Put two people together, one a believer, one who isn't and watch the smugness come out.

2) The "You're going to hell" curse: This is one of my favorites, and I get it all the time. I will strike up a conversation with a Christian (Or other believer) and 9 out of 10 times, I am told that I will burn in hell because I don't believe as they do. That isn't harassment? Ok.

3) The early morning knock: I don't know about you guys, but I am not a morning person. When I get a knock on my door and someone says "Can I talk to you about Jesus?", the first thought that crosses my head is leave now, or you will see him shortly. There is NO reason to solicit people in their own homes. This is more of a harassment than anything, even though it's not done by all religions, thank god (pun intended).

4) The "I want to save you" complex: Here again is yet another fine example of how Christians harass non-believers. Do you people ever stop to think that if we WANTED to be SAVED we just might ask? We might look into it? We might step into a church? Instead, the second a Christian finds out you're a non-believer, they jump on you like a cannibal who hasn't had a meal in months. They're almost frothing at the mouth envisioning bringing you into the fold. Sorry, I didn't ask for your opinions, I didn't ask you to preach to me, leave me alone. Stop shoving your religion on other people. It is about the worst form of harassment there is.

I could continue on, but it's probably pointless anyhow, because nothing I say will phase the true believer, after all, I'm a heathen, and my words mean nothing to those of faith. Right?

Point being, try looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers. Advertising on a bus should be the least of your concerns. If you don't like the message, do like us non-believers do when we drive through a town and see 20 churches advertised on every corner, just shake your head and ignore it. Simple as that.

“Boy Eats Own Foot”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Judged:

First of all, letís try to avoid blanket-statements.ďAtheists are harassed non-stop by ChristiansĒ. That should read,ďSome atheists have be harassed non-stop by some ChristiansĒ. The fact is 95% of my friends have never even uttered a word about religion, ever. They definitely do not know anything about my religious beliefs. If you are being harassed non-stop by Christians maybe you should keep your mouth shut and stop talking about atheism. What is there to talk about? Itís a non-belief. How is the belief in nothing, something to argue about?

1) This is a self-perception issue. You are bothered by ďsmugnessĒ? Iíve seen atheist be exactly same way. In fact youíre doing it right now.

2) Iíve had the same thing happen to me. But not all Christians are like that. Your bus message is read by all, not just the smug ones nor the ones that say you are going to hell. Iím not sure what you mean by striking up a conversation with a Christian. Iíve talked to hundreds and hundreds of Christians and seldom does it happen that religion comes up as a conversation topic. If the first thing you say to a Christian when striking up a conversation is,ďHi. Iím an atheist.Ē Youíre probably going to get into a religious conversation and that someone end up saying that you are going to hell. That is their belief after all. Try striking up a conversation with a Christian about some other topic like, goats. I bet youíll never hear,ďIíve love cabrito. Are you an atheist?Ē I absolutely disagree with this one on the basis that yes I have had this happen to me but not in the last 30 years or so.

3) No one likes those Mormons that go door to door. It doesnít matter if you are atheist or not. Part of the religion is that they are supposed (required) to spread the word of god. My advice is donít answer the knock. If you do, tell them youíre Buddhist or better yet, atheist. They will leave you alone. Try putting up a sign on your front door with a pentagram. That works as well.

4) I only disagree with your use of ďmostĒ. Most Christians wouldnít say they want to save you. They are just like everyone else; some are introverted and some are extroverted. The more extroverted type is the Christian about which you speak. To tell the truth I havenít had a serious discussion about religion with a Christian in years. So if they are hassling you, again it makes me think you are speaking out to Christians about your belief that god doesnít exist. If ya do that, my rule book says you are open game.

About pointing fingers. If you throw your atheist belief in my face, Iím going to defend myself. What I donít understand is why would you even care what others believe in? You donít believe in God yet it appears youíve thought more about God than I have in the entirety of my 48 year life. The reality is many Christians are non-religious Christians. That means they might go to church but donít think a lot on God and the theology/philosophy behind it all. They think about things like what they need to get done at work, or how they are going to pay their bills, or why the Cowboys suck so badly. The bus signs are intended to make these people lose their Christian faith. Why do you want to do that? Isnít spreading the word of atheism exactly the same concept as your item #1? In fact itís almost the same as #2, and #4.

Christianity and other religions are good simply because it gets people to socialize. Friendships are developed and friends will be there to help you through when times are bad. Many charities are served by church organizations. If you drive through a small town with 20 churches, expect to see lots of signage concerning various goings-on. Thereís no reason to shake your head. I would not try to ďstrike upĒ one your atheist conversations there. Someone is bound to say you are going to go to hell.
True atheist

Monahans, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

I have to say, you have a way with words, and the pentagram on the door actually made me laugh out loud, which happens very seldom when reading posts. As we're sticking with the numbers format here, I'll try and address what you had to same in like manner.

1) I will agree with you 100% that many atheists do the same. We're as firm in our "non-belief" as any theist is in their faith, I suppose it comes across as smug just the same. On the other hand, self perception or not, I have to say that there is a big difference between the two groups, at least as far as I have seen over the years. Atheists may be sure what they do not believe in, so to speak, is a fact, but that doesn't make us, at least not me, feel as if I am superior to someone else. When I do get into a religious debate with a theist, I would have to say more than half the time they begin acting as if they are superior to me, and I have heard the same from countless people both on-line and in person. Perhaps some people do see it more than others, and in their case, it might indeed be that they feel it is a personal issue. I try and keep it completely non-personal, however.

2)I try and avoid religious discussions as often as possible, believe it or not. If I see someone write something that I have a strong feeling about, I will more than not, reply. When I meet a person for the first time, I do not bring religion into the conversation. I used to ask, generally out of curiosity, whether or not a person is religious, but I've stopped doing that long ago as it never led to anything worthwhile for me.

However, it happens, quite often in fact, that theists seem to need to talk about God to everyone, and the topic almost always comes up at one point or another. I have lost so many friends simply because they found out I did not believe as they do and it ended our relationships. Some of them were quite long, too.

3) Again, lol.

4) This is a hard one, and yes, you are correct in the fact that it is hypocritical to an extent. I think part of it is that people cannot escape religion. It is everywhere you look. Every city, town, village, hole in the wall has some type of church or something to the effect. What do atheists have? Their voices are seldom heard, so I can only assume that they would like to start getting their messages out there, at least a little.

You ask why I care what people think? I'll be quite honest with you: I don't.

I think people have the basic right to believe in whatever they want to believe, whether I think it is a good or a bad belief is moot. The flip side to that is that it bothers me that a rational person could actually follow a practice that asks you to forgo any sense of questioning and simply believe based on faith. Faith to me means accepting something as truth that has absolutely no proof what-so-ever, much, as I am sure some will say, like the big bang theory. I don't believe that either. I simply don't know the answer and I am comfortable with accepting that and admitting to it. Faith is dangerous. Faith can be twisted in many ways. Look at the jihadists as an example. They do what they do based on faith. They are willing to die for their faith, just as so many did during the times of the crusades and the inquisitions. People die for their faith every day over the world.

I am, at least I strive to be, a logical person. For me, to simply accept that there is a being (a God) is beyond my capabilities. I was raised christian, and from the very beginning, the one lesson I remember better than anything else is not to question what you are told. Again, this is dangerous.

When I see someone (and pardon the expression, it's an overused cliche, I know) blinding following a religion, I feel sorry for that person because they don't seem to question it, they don't seem to look for the why's and the how's, they're happy just having someone else tell them what is true and what isn't and how they should run their life. Out of room :P
loliestar

Slidell, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

PATHETIC
True atheist

Monahans, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2010

Ok, we now know your opinion on something, could you be a little more specific?

“Boy Eats Own Foot”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Good post True atheist. Everyone would be better off if only they were to question everything.
Another Atheist

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2011

My point, I'm am not one of those that goes around trying to get prayers out of the school, In God We Trust off U.S.currency.
Basically those Atheist have created a belief or following by mobilizing and having meetings /gatherings to just throw a wrench into religious beliefs. They are no more than rebelling against the norm. U.S.currency is not burning holes into my skin or sending me to hell due to In God We Trust written or inscribed, like wise for the prayers through out this country, I simple do not participate, a cross on government property does not affect me one bit, it isn't hurting me CAUSE I HAVE NO BELIEF.
One thing in closing that I have run across, is those Christian visits. Now when I explain that I am an Atheist, they continue to try to push their beliefs onto me. I merely say to them when it happens, are you willing to listen to me and answer questions which may or may not make you doubt your faith. If you do not wish to listen to my point of view then you must leave.
Prayer

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2011

Judged:

Atheists are without faith, without belief, without God and without Salvation and without Salvation are doomed to the fiery pits of hell. I feel sorry for Atheists for when the time comes it will be too late to repent.

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2011

Prayer wrote:
Atheists are without faith, without belief, without God and without Salvation and without Salvation are doomed to the fiery pits of hell. I feel sorry for Atheists for when the time comes it will be too late to repent.
Hell is not real... no loving god would ever punish his children for all eternity for some sin they may have done in this short little time we are on this earth. Would you punish your children forever and ever if they disobeyed you?
Crazy Momma L

Monahans, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2011

Judged:

I don't see why people make such a big deal over what religion you are. In my opinion, as long as you're a good person and always try to do what is right, it shouldn't matter what you choose to believe or not believe. No one is better than anyone else. I knew some who claim to be Christians and are the most cruel people I've ever met...going around with their noses up judging everything that anyone else does. I thought we weren't supposed to judge? Of course, I have some amazing Christians aswell. On the other hand, there are Atheists who are so kind and do what they can to help others...and there are some who don't care the slightest about others.
It is not right for any of us to say we are better because we believe in this God, those Gods, or no God at all. There are reasons for each belief, none of which are proven...so in my opinion, all are equal. As I stated above, I believe as long as a person is doing what's right, it shouldn't matter what they believe in.

As for the ads, I don't know exactly what was on them so I can't say much. People should be allowed to support whatever they believe in as long as it's not harming anyone or anything. It might make some uncomfortable, but not everything can be done to please everyone. If you don't like it, ignore it.
Prayer

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2011

TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell is not real... no loving god would ever punish his children for all eternity for some sin they may have done in this short little time we are on this earth. Would you punish your children forever and ever if they disobeyed you?
What bible are you looking at? For you to say hell is not real, is to say heaven is not. For Atheists to to deny God and his existence is to deny the rewards of heaven.
Crazy Momma L

Monahans, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2011

Prayer wrote:
<quoted text>
What bible are you looking at? For you to say hell is not real, is to say heaven is not. For Atheists to to deny God and his existence is to deny the rewards of heaven.
I believe she made a good point. Christians say all sins are equal, no sin is worse than another, correct? And that all sins may be forgiven. That may not be what people live by, but that's what I always hear. So wouldn't everyone go to hell? And there would be no Heaven. That or, everyone, from gossipers and liars to rapists and murders would go to heaven after asking for forgiveness. Of course there are those who don't try to change and get into Heaven after admitting their sins and accepting Jesus into their lives...but the ones that do, make it in, right? So what about the people that have been baptised/asked Jesus to be a part of their life, act as if they life their lives perfectly, but continue to live a life filled with sins that they could keep from committing. What happens if they don't get another chance to ask for forgiveness before they pass on. What happens? Do those people go to hell because hell is for sinners. If anyone deserves to go to hell, doesn't everyone? If anyone deserves to go to Heaven, doesn't everyone? No one is perfect and anyone can change their ways and ask for forgiveness. Also, anyone can ask for forgiveness just to turn around and live an opposing life.
I'm not saying that I personally believe all sins are equal, but that is what I'm always told so I'm going from that point of view.
Truth

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Judged:

Prayer wrote:
This is exactly what the atheist was speaking about! You sit there all smug and pass judgement on their lack of belief. Prayer if anyone should feel sorrow it should be you, for your life is wasted. God dosent speak to you and If you think he does you should have your head checked out.
Prayer

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly what the atheist was speaking about! You sit there all smug and pass judgement on their lack of belief. Prayer if anyone should feel sorrow it should be you, for your life is wasted. God dosent speak to you and If you think he does you should have your head checked out.
God speaks to everyone through the bible, I comment based on the bible. I do not try to change the meaning of verses in the bible to whatever suits my needs at the time. For all I know I may be cast into hell for my sins myself. I do know though that God does exists and I can ask for forgiveness. Atheists do not acknowledge his existence, therefore an Atheist will not ask for forgiveness.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kermit Discussions

Search the Kermit Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 12 min Responsibility 21,731
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 14 min Steve Dooley 17,275
Best D!ck In Town (Jul '09) 20 hr Wtf_really 17
Nacho granillo 23 hr susie 2
child molesters Thu sally 29
Kent companies Wed who cares 1
david cutbirth. (Jun '13) Tue CuthbertsAreTheives 47
•••
•••
•••
Kermit Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••