Save Yourself

Canton, OH

#13780 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text> Snip:
Here is why I have a problem with your theory:
I'm probably older than you are, and I have witnessed all that we have done to reduce pollution. When I was a kid, we had leaded paint and gasoline. That's been gone for decades now. Most cars probably got 8 miles to the gallon, today many vehicles are closer to 30 MPH. We used freon for our AC and refrigeration equipment, no longer. All our aerosols had fluorocarbons, now there are none. Our manufacturing base has been shrinking for decades now. Less manufacturing--less pollution. Even the manufacturing that's still here are under heavy regulations by the EPA.
Now we insulate our homes and have the highest energy efficient windows that we didn't have years ago. Same goes for our furnaces, AC and appliances; most high energy efficiency. When I was a kid, we had incinerators in our homes. You put your burnable garbage in the incinerator and lit it up. That's been outlawed for decades. I remember my father removing ours out of the laundry room.
Most all of our electric plants used coal, and not the cleaner burning plants like we have today. There were no nuclear plants. Even our televisions had so many tubes in the sucker that if you left it on long enough, you could feel the heat through the top of the set and certainly from the back of the set. Same goes for our stereos and amplification equipment. I'm a guitarist with an old Marshall 100 amplifier. Fellow guitarists envy me for owning that 1975 model. They traded their old amplifiers in for tubeless solid state models when they came out. That amplifier alone has 8 tubes in it, and I'll keep it til the day I die.
The point in all this is that WE HAVE been doing just about all we can to reduce our pollution and energy consumption. It seems that there are more regulations every year. It also seems like the more we do reduce our consumption and pollution, the worse it gets. I say without a doubt, we are on the wrong path.
I wouldn't say we have reduced our consumption. The amount of constant drain electrical devices in the average home is far beyond what we were dealing with in the 70's and 80's. As a direct result of power plants in Ohio, we have the poorest or the second poorest air quality, depending on where you read, in the entire nation. Nimisila creek by where I live has factories directly dumping waste in it right now and often has a lovely orange foam on it banks. I worked at a chrome plating factory when I was young that was shut down by Osha because the cyanide waste material was being stored in the building because nobody would take it away. My point is I personally think that our air quality and drinking water is more important than jobs, taxes, wars, gay marriage...I find it suspicious that the Koch brothers spent millions to refute climate change, had everyone in the churches suddenly a expert on global weather trends and then did a complete turn around when their paid scientists refused to alter the data showing that it is happening and it is man made. Look it up. The same Koch brothers directly pay Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Rick Perry, Santorum, Romney and actually penned Newt Gingrich's contract with America. There is an actual video of Palin telling her church that it's "God's will" to build a pipeline. Also, take some time to read up on what the Secretary of the Interior, in charge of our environment and natural resources was up to under the last 3 Republican presidents. Seriously. Look up James Watt, Gale Norton, Kempthorne... They were all busted altering environmental data to promote a pro enegery agenda. These things are documented facts, not just some Liberal tree hugger news letter. I also don't think that Bush deregulating the energy industry counts as us already doing everything we can to keep pollution in check, Take the gulf spill for instance.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#13781 Nov 17, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, Duke. Have you read the Papa John's constitution? I just got an email that said that when Papa John's was first incorporated as a slave pizza chain in 1840, they included in their charter a provision that would prohibit franchisees to divide into separate LLCs. Yeah, huh.
Well that changes everything. I may have to rethink this.

There has to be an easy way for a guy making 2.7 million dollars a year to figure out a way to get his employees health care coverage costing $0.15 per pizza, without raising the price of a pizza $0.25, and without laying employees off.

There just has to be a way. Heck, that Sloppy Poppy's gotta be a smart guy if he's making 2.7 million dollars a year.

He'll figure it out. He has to. His stock price is dropping like a fcking rock.

woof
Save Yourself

Canton, OH

#13782 Nov 17, 2012
I also play guitar. Gibson SG. Very cool that you have a tube amp. I'm 45 so I don't know how far apart our experiences are.
Save Yourself

Canton, OH

#13783 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Our company has been looking for a truck driver for the last month or so. Can't find one. The people that are qualified and willing to accept the job can't pass a drug test. The qualified people that can pass a drug test are using every last day of their unemployment before they decide to get a job.
While it's not the greatest paying job in the Cleveland area, I've been working there for over 18 years now. Most all of our employees are long-timers. The job in question is local work where you're home every day. It's driving one of those little box trucks similar to a U-Haul truck. You work between 7 to 10 hours per day.
My employer could care less if you smoked pot all night, as long as you do the job. But we are under federal government regulation which requires us to have random drug screenings. My employer is not about to train somebody only to have them fail one of these drug screens down the road. If you fail a drug screen, you are out of work for 6 weeks to attend rehab, and then we have to figure out how to make due without that employee. My employer is not about to go through all that again.
It's too much to ask of an American to quit smoking pot and get a job. That's to inconvenient. They will just stay on government assistance until the right job comes along where they don't have to take drug tests.
I have a couple of tenants that are the same way. They work, but low-paying fast food jobs. They can't better themselves with higher paying jobs because they smoke pot. They pay the rent although late most of the time. They would sooner hop in their $300.00 pick-up truck, light a joint and go riding around than to quit pot and be able to afford a nicer vehicle.
So are you saying that the war on drugs, started by Nixon is a complete failure? I certainly would rather have truckers on the road smoking weed than legal booze, anyday. I don't think pot is a good example because I have met successful and hardworking people who smoke it without issue. Also, not alot of assaults, domestic violence or car accidents caused by weed compared to booze. As far as people working just enough to keep the party rolling, that happens and I consider it as lame assed as you do. Especially if they have kids. I have also seen people with college degrees working those same low paying jobs.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#13784 Nov 17, 2012
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a thought.
Maybe your employer and you should start banding together with other similarly situated corporations and individuals and begin advocating at the state and national levels to reform the ridiculously restrictive and archaic statutory treatment of recreational marijuana use.
Changes there would greatly expand the pool.
woof
Seriously, do you think that's going to happen? Most of these idiotic regulations are made by bureaucracies--not the politicians themselves. Look at what they did to us with using our Nextels to communicate back and forth with our dispatch.$2,800 fine for the FIRST offense.$10,000 fine for the company if you are found to be talking to them. Again, first offense.

If we were to band together, it would be to eliminate that law. But again, these are all bureaucratic laws. Politicians just shrug their shoulders and say "We didn't do it!" It's one of the reasons I think all bureaucracies should be eliminated in this country.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#13786 Nov 17, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, Duke. Have you read the Papa John's constitution? I just got an email that said that when Papa John's was first incorporated as a slave pizza chain in 1840, they included in their charter a provision that would prohibit franchisees to divide into separate LLCs. Yeah, huh.
Slave pizza chain? Rather strong & unprovable. 1840 not 1984? I doubt that even the great great grandfather of P/Johns founder, John Schnatter, was even a wet dream of his father.
John S is wealthy but he has shared much of it with community & non-profits or he would have more $$
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#13787 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, do you think that's going to happen?
Yes, and it already is.

woof
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#13788 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say we have reduced our consumption. The amount of constant drain electrical devices in the average home is far beyond what we were dealing with in the 70's and 80's. As a direct result of power plants in Ohio, we have the poorest or the second poorest air quality, depending on where you read, in the entire nation. Nimisila creek by where I live has factories directly dumping waste in it right now and often has a lovely orange foam on it banks. I worked at a chrome plating factory when I was young that was shut down by Osha because the cyanide waste material was being stored in the building because nobody would take it away. My point is I personally think that our air quality and drinking water is more important than jobs, taxes, wars, gay marriage...I find it suspicious that the Koch brothers spent millions to refute climate change, had everyone in the churches suddenly a expert on global weather trends and then did a complete turn around when their paid scientists refused to alter the data showing that it is happening and it is man made. Look it up. The same Koch brothers directly pay Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Rick Perry, Santorum, Romney and actually penned Newt Gingrich's contract with America. There is an actual video of Palin telling her church that it's "God's will" to build a pipeline. Also, take some time to read up on what the Secretary of the Interior, in charge of our environment and natural resources was up to under the last 3 Republican presidents. Seriously. Look up James Watt, Gale Norton, Kempthorne... They were all busted altering environmental data to promote a pro enegery agenda. These things are documented facts, not just some Liberal tree hugger news letter. I also don't think that Bush deregulating the energy industry counts as us already doing everything we can to keep pollution in check, Take the gulf spill for instance.
One thing I will remember about Bush, and that it's his administration that created the new low sulfur diesel fuel. Since that time, diesel fuel has surpassed the price of gasoline and remains so today. Just another cost you pay at the store that you don't know about. At one time, diesel fuel was half the price of gasoline.

My boss went out looking to buy new trucks. He was amazed at the increase in prices of new vehicles. Questioning the sales people, there was a consensus that the increased prices have to do with all the new pollution crap they put on trucks. As a driver, I can testify to the fact that half of the things that go wrong with a truck today has something to do with some pollution gadget that went haywire. That's a lot of money in maintenance and repair costs to transportation companies.

All trucks 2010 and older have to use Diesel Emission Fluid, or DEF for short. It's a separate container that squirts some pollution crap into the exhaust pipe. That cost is around $4.00 per gallon. If you don't have DEF in your reservoir, the truck won't start. If you run out while driving, you do damage to your engine. The stuff even freezes in the winter, and you have to hope the DEF heater melts is quick enough to run the truck. It's a mess.

Many outfits are now holding on to their old vehicles. They are rebuilding engines and transmissions to avoid buying these new expensive pain in the azz trucks.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#13789 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:
I also play guitar. Gibson SG. Very cool that you have a tube amp. I'm 45 so I don't know how far apart our experiences are.
Not too far. I'm 52. I have three Les Pauls--one of them a 1960 reissue. Couple that guitar with that old Marshall 100, and you can't create a sound like that with todays equipment. When I'm not playing, I turn on the amp just to heat the living room. LOL!
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#13790 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the war on drugs, started by Nixon is a complete failure? I certainly would rather have truckers on the road smoking weed than legal booze, anyday. I don't think pot is a good example because I have met successful and hardworking people who smoke it without issue. Also, not alot of assaults, domestic violence or car accidents caused by weed compared to booze. As far as people working just enough to keep the party rolling, that happens and I consider it as lame assed as you do. Especially if they have kids. I have also seen people with college degrees working those same low paying jobs.
I used to work in the medical field. My job was to repair and deliver home medical equipment. I did that for ten years. What I found funny is that the people who abused pot the most were our RN's and respiratory therapists.

I'm against drug screenings myself. Two years ago, they hauled me in three times in an eight month period. They pick your name using a computer program. The last time I went to the clinic, the receptionist just held her hands to her head saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, It's not my fault." We just laughed about it. When I walked through the door, I said "Hi mom, I'm home." LOL!

I used to smoke pot too. Had to give it up for this career. I'm a beer guy myself, so I didn't miss pot all that much. I don't want to work with people high on dope, but on the other hand, these tests are to find out what you ingest in your spare time at home. Pot can be detected up to 30 days of last usage. Some places (like the Cleveland Clinic) are testing for tobacco use too. You can't get a job at some of these places simply for smoking cigarettes in your spare time.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#13791 Nov 17, 2012
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and it already is.
woof
If it is, I certainly didn't hear about it.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#13792 Nov 17, 2012
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> Slave pizza chain? Rather strong & unprovable. 1840 not 1984? I doubt that even the great great grandfather of P/Johns founder, John Schnatter, was even a wet dream of his father.
John S is wealthy but he has shared much of it with community & non-profits or he would have more $$
Pops, really. Don't even try to keep up. The grown ups were talking. It is so far over your head I'm not going to try to explain.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#13793 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you didn't. It didn't happen on your street and Rush didn't talk about it.
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#13794 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, you get crazier with each post. Quit acting like a guest on Jerry Springer and start standing up for the country you live in. You gleefully focus on crap that doesn't have anything to do with American's every day lives like some kind of 14 year old gossip girl trapped in a Nazi's body. Between tinfoil hatboy trying to divide Texas because he knows he'll never get his greedy little Theocracy way based on Americans voting, and you waking up from time to time from the thorazine they have to keep giving you, only to hear you bark out your latest version of how your're not able to deal with a black man in the whitehouse, you guys are really starting to sound more and more desperate every day. No wonder the Republican party is starting to look at you and your Tea Bagger's ball like the politcal equivalent of a venereal disease. As they discretely apply common sense antibiotics until it was like you never happened, the rest of the nation is ready to continue to strive for a better tomorrow. This is the part where you say I have a poopy butt and then cry about invisible commies.

“Benghazi-gate.”

luv the sound of that.........

by gawd, it's music to me ears

The hills are alive
With the sound of Benghazi

With impeachment songs they have sung
For a thousand years

The hills fill my heart

My heart wants to sing ev'ry impeachment song it hears

“Benghazi-gate.”

//////////

"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this Presidency"

-Berry Insane Obummer
Save Yourself

Canton, OH

#13795 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to work in the medical field. My job was to repair and deliver home medical equipment. I did that for ten years. What I found funny is that the people who abused pot the most were our RN's and respiratory therapists.
I'm against drug screenings myself. Two years ago, they hauled me in three times in an eight month period. They pick your name using a computer program. The last time I went to the clinic, the receptionist just held her hands to her head saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, It's not my fault." We just laughed about it. When I walked through the door, I said "Hi mom, I'm home." LOL!
I used to smoke pot too. Had to give it up for this career. I'm a beer guy myself, so I didn't miss pot all that much. I don't want to work with people high on dope, but on the other hand, these tests are to find out what you ingest in your spare time at home. Pot can be detected up to 30 days of last usage. Some places (like the Cleveland Clinic) are testing for tobacco use too. You can't get a job at some of these places simply for smoking cigarettes in your spare time.
Hey, if you catch yourself tripping over one of those pesky Les Pauls and find it's always under foot, I'd be happy to help you out and get it out of the way for you. But you know how us "liberals" are always looking for a hand out. Ha ha ha.
Save Yourself

Canton, OH

#13796 Nov 17, 2012
TaxNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
“Benghazi-gate.”
luv the sound of that.........
by gawd, it's music to me ears
The hills are alive
With impeachment songs they have sung
For a thousand years
The hills fill my heart
My heart wants to sing ev'ry impeachment song it hears
“Benghazi-gate.”
//////////
"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this Presidency"
-Berry Insane Obummer
I heard your crazy the first time, you stammering spaminal.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#13797 Nov 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Research it. In due time, the states will force the hands of the feds to change federal law.

It'll happen far sooner if people start becoming more vocal about it, and state governments and the feds realize just how much tax revenue they can make, without wasting human and administrative resources in the justice systems.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#13798 Nov 17, 2012
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> Slave pizza chain? Rather strong & unprovable. 1840 not 1984? I doubt that even the great great grandfather of P/Johns founder, John Schnatter, was even a wet dream of his father.
You obviously haven't seen the etchings of Africans sweltering in front of the massive pizza ovens on slave ships in the 1500's.

woof
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#13799 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
//////////

you stammering spaminal.
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#13801 Nov 17, 2012
Save Yourself wrote:

//////////

My point is I personally think that our air quality and drinking water is more important than jobs,

//////////

Socialism will usher in a new era in this county.

The great wealth of the United States will for the first time be for the benefit of all the people.

Foreign policy will be based on mutual respect, peace, and solidarity.

The people’s democratic rights will be guaranteed and expanded.

Racial, gender, and social equality will be the basis of domestic policies and practices.

Socialism is not a dream, but a necessity to working peoples lives.

Only socialism has the solutions to the problems of capitalism in this country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Historic Down Town 1 hr new is better 2
Phil Coulsin Ada construction.and more 1 hr POOR ugly baby76 33
hardin county perfect place to come to abuse kids 15 hr guest 2
football and other guy sports queer or not 16 hr hey boy toy hey mm 10
New coach same results.... IE: Kenton girls soc... 18 hr KTFB 41
new shelter 19 hr countrygirl49 23
Any of u punks want to fight? 23 hr Mikey Gross 20
Kenton Dating
Find my Match

Kenton Jobs