Why are stray animals over running Hardin County?

Posted in the Kenton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
JessMess

Kenton, OH

#1 Sep 30, 2012
Do we have a humain society? Or a rescue?

I hate seeing all these cats running around sick and injured. Ive seen stray dogs too. Dunkirk is full of strays and its sad.

Kenton, OH

#2 Sep 30, 2012
Worthless people. That's why. I hate people.
JessMess

Toledo, OH

#3 Sep 30, 2012
I just don't understand why upper has a humane building and Kenton doesn't. There has to be someone who cares. I'd help if I knew where to go.
Mrskitty

Kenton, OH

#5 Oct 1, 2012
I guess they just don't have crap too do. none of them have jobs and just today I saw one sittin in the park lickin his nuts !
Mytimetoshine

Kenton, OH

#6 Oct 1, 2012
Mrskitty wrote:
I guess they just don't have crap too do. none of them have jobs and just today I saw one sittin in the park lickin his nuts !
love it Mrskitty keep up the good work

Kenton, OH

#7 Oct 1, 2012
I am so sick and tired of the stray cats that run our neighborhood! They get in my trash weekly when I set it out and I am left to clean it up. Plus, they spray around my house and my son is allergic to cats. People with dogs have to have a license for them so why not cat owners. May be a way to make the town some money!
mikeIE

Kenton, OH

#8 Oct 1, 2012
guest wrote:
I am so sick and tired of the stray cats that run our neighborhood! They get in my trash weekly when I set it out and I am left to clean it up. Plus, they spray around my house and my son is allergic to cats. People with dogs have to have a license for them so why not cat owners. May be a way to make the town some money!
Maybe you should invest in some De-con, It wont keep the criminals out but it will kill cats.
mikeIE

Kenton, OH

#9 Oct 1, 2012
then toss them in the river , let Columbus deal with it.

Kenton, OH

#10 Oct 1, 2012
I herd a pack of chipmunks talk-in bout this nut heist , s posed to go down out at the manor around 7 am.
Tabbi Williams

Mount Victory, OH

#11 Oct 2, 2012
Kenton doesn't have a running shelter because we are ran SOLELY on volunteering and donations. We don't have the funds to build a shelter and keep it running. If we built a shelter now, the chance of it actually making it are slim to none and then we wouldn't have any where to put the animals when it fell under. We do have a lot of great programs to assist our community though. A low-cost to no-cost spay and neuter program! If everyone just spayed or neutered and stopped breeding animals for easy $ then they wouldn't multiply. Cats multiply like crazy! We also have pet food pantry once a month where we pass out cat/dog food to families in need. Dog tags are required. We have an adoption program as well, but with the lack of foster homes, it's a slow process. Even one animal finding a new home is a good start though. We have fund raising events you could always volunteer for if you are truley interested. We also do bingo on wednesdays and i know there is a lot of conflict about it, but bingo has been the main supporter of all our programs and building payments as well as bills! If you would like to find out more about us and what we do you could check out our website at www.hchumane.com . There is also a printable link for the spay and neuter program application. H.O.P.E Clinic in upper sandusky also has a feral spay and neuter program, i suggest calling them and finding out more details.
Ya know

Kenton, OH

#12 Oct 2, 2012
Aint the dog pound run by the city government? I got a dog from there that ended up being sick as hell. And I heard that them catchers try to nab dogs just to make people pay to git um back. To hell with that place.
Jester

Ada, OH

#13 Oct 3, 2012
Da weason we have so miny cats is because you are not aloud to hunt in town.)))))))))BS++++++__*& ^BS BS BS BS BS BS
JessMess

Kenton, OH

#14 Oct 3, 2012
Jester- why kill them? Do you like to torture animals for fun? Sicko. Also, I suggest you return to grade school; your spelling is pathetic.

Since: Jul 12

Van Wert, OH

#15 Oct 3, 2012
Ya know wrote:
Aint the dog pound run by the city government? I got a dog from there that ended up being sick as hell. And I heard that them catchers try to nab dogs just to make people pay to git um back. To hell with that place.
A now former neighbor had a similar experience. After he got his dog back, he had a limp and some sort of infection on his testicles. It's a county operation, though and I agree with you. It needs to be fixed or shut down.
Tragic

Kenton, OH

#16 Oct 3, 2012
Why?Because the pound now charges for dropping off dogs, and they don't take cats.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with the humane society not having the funds by now. The humane society has been having donations for YEARS and nothing has been done. They have had tons of sign up for volunteers as well. I have signed up to volunteer every time the sheet has been out at the fair, because I don't know their contact number. Yet for all my signing, I have yet to get even one call asking for my help. I know many people would be willing to foster pets, and help find new families for them.

Most in HC will not take their animals to WC because WC will euthanize on site. If I got down on hard times, I honestly don't know what I would do with my pets. If I'm down on my luck, I wouldn't have the money for the drop off fee, but I love my pets enough I wouldn't want them put to sleep either.
Pam

Kenton, OH

#17 Oct 3, 2012
Tragic wrote:
Why?Because the pound now charges for dropping off dogs, and they don't take cats.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with the humane society not having the funds by now. The humane society has been having donations for YEARS and nothing has been done. They have had tons of sign up for volunteers as well. I have signed up to volunteer every time the sheet has been out at the fair, because I don't know their contact number. Yet for all my signing, I have yet to get even one call asking for my help. I know many people would be willing to foster pets, and help find new families for them.
Most in HC will not take their animals to WC because WC will euthanize on site. If I got down on hard times, I honestly don't know what I would do with my pets. If I'm down on my luck, I wouldn't have the money for the drop off fee, but I love my pets enough I wouldn't want them put to sleep either.
I hear things are changing at the humane society. I actually saw an ad at CM in Ada. I've NEVER seen humane society ads here before. Never seen them do anything! Maybe HC got sick of them doing nothin and shook em up.
Tabbi Williams

Mount Victory, OH

#18 Oct 4, 2012
Tragic wrote:
I'm sorry you feel this way, but we have accomplished many things. Did you know we have spayed or neutered over 2700 pets in Hardin County? Or that we pass out pet food to 20-30 families each month at our Pet Food Pantry? Through the foster/adoption program, there have been almost twenty forever homes found just that i know about since i've been on the board!
We are in great need of foster homes, yet at our sign up at the fair this year, only 1 person signed up to foster cats. If you are honestly interested in volunteering then email your info and your interests to hchumanesociety@aol.com and i will make sure you receive a reply within 24 hours. Wyandot County Humane Society does not put animals down on site, it is based off their adoptability. The dog pound is funded by the county, but they rely on fees as well for the caring of the animals and the big turn over rate. They are only allowed to keep an animal for so long and are forbidden on taking cats.
Are your animals spayed or neutered? We have a great program if you follow the link to our website you can print off an application and send in.
To say we've done nothing is a total understatement and it is frustrating that it is so easy to say what you think we aren't doing rather than asking what we are doing. We are ALL volunteers and take time out of our lives, our jobs, our families to make a difference in the community. Of course we need a shelter, but starting something knowing we don't have the funds to keep it running would be selfish and unrealistic.
As far as funds go, we have a board meeting this coming Monday. Second Monday of every month and they are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!! If you have questions, come ask, come volunteer, come give us suggestions! We are open to new ideas and volunteers. We actually just gained a very determined volunteer who took the time to ask what she wanted to know! There are also treasury reports given at this meeting, it is public information.
When board members and volunteers change, it can change a lot in a non-profit organization. It isn't made up of one person's opinion, every voice is heard. Come speak up!
Tabbi Williams

Mount Victory, OH

#19 Oct 4, 2012
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear things are changing at the humane society. I actually saw an ad at CM in Ada. I've NEVER seen humane society ads here before. Never seen them do anything! Maybe HC got sick of them doing nothin and shook em up.

No ma'am, we haven't been shook up :). We gained a new volunteer and member who lives in Ada, attending school there actually, and she has helped us to broaden our prospects to the surrounding areas not just kenton. They haven't been purposefully left out, having the man power is sometimes a big set back. I'm glad that you are seeing improvement in our doings and i hope that we are able to see more support as we try to continue to step it up in what we can do! We can't do everything we need to right now, but on our journey we can accomplish many little things that add up to something huge!
Tragic

Kenton, OH

#20 Oct 4, 2012
Are my pets spay or neutered? 100% absolutely, because I adopted. All of my fur animals are either adopted from rescues or rescued period. I have some feathered and reptile pets who are not fixed though, but they do not have mates and do not go outside.

Also if you believe WC doesn't put down on site, ask the former dog wardens of HC why they took dogs and cats over there. Ask people who have kenneled their pets their only to have them euthanized over the weekend, ask former volunteers and employees who quit working there over the conditions.

Of course people have stopped signing up at the fair, why both when the people who supposedly want the humane society to work, can't be bothered to call?

One last thing. This topic is about stray animals. Where and how do people get these animals off the streets, into the care of the HCHS, and then into loving homes? Does the HCHS, have a feral cat program, or do you know of a vet who participates in the feral cat program?
Tabbi Williams

Mount Victory, OH

#21 Oct 4, 2012
Well having your animals spayed or neutered is a good start! That is the great thing about getting a second chance dog from rescues, they almost always come with everything done prior. I've never worked at WC so i can't argue their procedures thoroughly, but if someone has boarded their animals there and it was put down then they should be making some phone calls. That is actually how Teddy's Rescue in Findlay started, not with WC, but with similiar situation. With the negative opinion of WC i'm not sure if this would be an option to you, but they do have a feral cat program. I do not know all the details, but there is a day that you can take them up and get them spayed or neutered. They have to be totally feral though, if they can be held by the scruff of their neck calmly, then i don't believe they are considered feral, but again you'd have to get full details through them. There is also a spay or neuter clinic on 309 just outside of hardin county that bases their pricing off H.O.P.E. i'm just not sure if they also have a program for ferals.
That would be something that could be discussed with the board members, seeing what it would take to have a feral cat program. We don't have the resources to do the procedures ourselves, but maybe we could think about some type of round up. It isn't just a problem in Kenton or Dunkirk or Ada, it's Hardin county!
I understand that you may have signed up previously, but as i said when program leaders, board members, and volunteers change, many other things can and do as well. If you know a lot of people that would be interested in fostering, please, have them email the info so we can find more animals forever homes! There is currently 1 foster home and it's for cats, which are hard to adopt out anyway because there are so many!!! We are open to suggestions, but if we don't hear them then we can't move on any. I know being an animal lover alone isn't enough to make big changes, but working together and trying to come up with realistic and humane responses to the problems could. As i noted above, check out our website www.hchumane.com , see what we've been up to. You can also email hchumanesociety@aol.com. If you have ideas and suggestions, but can't make it to a meeting, email us and it will be read to the board.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hardin memorial hospital (Sep '10) 3 hr Just Me 66
brian flowers main suspect in missing patti adk... (Jan '11) 6 hr 63strat 2,168
Don Castle and Terry Price (Aug '14) 7 hr guest 42
Bodine and Purcell Bambino 8 hr sohappy 22
Why did terry price resign?? 9 hr Are you serious 13
New coach same results.... IE: Kenton girls soc... (Oct '14) 14 hr Napoleon Dynamite 48
Lucas Sons? 14 hr Lala 2
POS Don Castle Sun Joey 10
More from around the web

Kenton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]