What would you change about Kenton?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yup

Kenton, OH

#30 Dec 28, 2012
retired wrote:
Work ethics ARE being taught in the schools. Why can't children get their homework done on time? Why aren't the parents attending conferences and school activities? In order for a work ethic to be taught to children, they must have role models and be held accountable for their responsibilities at home. So the parents of the last generation have let us down and have not been consistent or reliable when it comes to raising their children.Also there is so much divorce, children don't know where they are sleeping from one day to the next. Children are the victims.
The government has done its job in Kenton and we are doing fine in Hardin County.
Housing is below average as far as rentals and some who don't repair their properties. This all comes back to work ethic and job availability.
There are jobs available in Kenton but those who complain about not having money refuse to take those jobs. Seems it is easier to lay around and do nothing, or get high on alcohol or drugs. Is that any kind of life?
Kenton seems to be divided by the "haves" and "have-nots" which is mostly determined by the people themselves.
I agree. The jobs out of town generally pay more per hour, but I did it, and it tears up your car, cost a fortune in gas, and is stressful in bad weather. I took a pay cut to work locally, and it's hard, but at least I won't be doing oil changes every two months, and tires about every eight. I miss the pay checks from my former job, but that's about it. I am broke, but nice, well mannered, and try to treat people well.
I also follow the golden rule, and teach it to my children. I also attend activities, and am strict on grades, but my children are far from perfect. I do not fit in well in this town, as I am a have not, but will give what little I have to help an honest person.
I hate the drug problem, as I have seen too many obitiuries for young people who get caught up in the mess. I show my kids what drugs can do to you, and pray they never touch them. I never did, but we had the dare program back in my day, and scared straight programs. I do think dealers need to be locked up, and we need to educate our families.
my opinion

Zanesville, OH

#31 Dec 29, 2012
I think one thing Kenton could do is take one of it's problems and use it to fix another. There are hundreds of addicted individuals who can't get jobs because they have been charged with numerous felonies. These people also have huge fines which most can't pay. Most of them are not violent criminals, they are addicted to drugs and petty thieves. Let them work it off instead of overcrowding the jails because people are poor and can't pay their fines. Boredom is no good for them anyway. Instead of billing them for being addicted thousands of dollars they don't have anyway, and paying all the people to collect it, buy a few lawn mowers, trash bags, paint and a few brushes and have them get to work cleaning up this town. They could be put to work to "pay back" the community for what they have done. I'd love to know that amount of money coming in to our local government in fines at the pay hearings. It has to be a boat load. Where is it going? What are they doing with it? I don't see it going into treatment programs. I don't see it going into businesses. I think it's going to pay all the people in the court house, police department, municipal building, etc.... Drug addiction should not be a money maker for any city and it appears to be one here. This is sick. Cut the fines and put them to work. And I don't mean showing up at the dog pound for a few hours. Make them work hard. It will help them, help our community, and if a few people lose jobs they can go get other ones because they are in the position to do so. If I earned a paycheck off of suffering people that I was doing nothing to help, I'd be ashamed. And we have dozens of people in this community putting food on their table at the expense of sick people who can't get ahead.
agree with

Ashley, OH

#32 Dec 29, 2012
my opinion wrote:
I think one thing Kenton could do is take one of it's problems and use it to fix another. There are hundreds of addicted individuals who can't get jobs because they have been charged with numerous felonies. These people also have huge fines which most can't pay. Most of them are not violent criminals, they are addicted to drugs and petty thieves. Let them work it off instead of overcrowding the jails because people are poor and can't pay their fines. Boredom is no good for them anyway. Instead of billing them for being addicted thousands of dollars they don't have anyway, and paying all the people to collect it, buy a few lawn mowers, trash bags, paint and a few brushes and have them get to work cleaning up this town. They could be put to work to "pay back" the community for what they have done. I'd love to know that amount of money coming in to our local government in fines at the pay hearings. It has to be a boat load. Where is it going? What are they doing with it? I don't see it going into treatment programs. I don't see it going into businesses. I think it's going to pay all the people in the court house, police department, municipal building, etc.... Drug addiction should not be a money maker for any city and it appears to be one here. This is sick. Cut the fines and put them to work. And I don't mean showing up at the dog pound for a few hours. Make them work hard. It will help them, help our community, and if a few people lose jobs they can go get other ones because they are in the position to do so. If I earned a paycheck off of suffering people that I was doing nothing to help, I'd be ashamed. And we have dozens of people in this community putting food on their table at the expense of sick people who can't get ahead.
I totally agree with this I would like to add pick up every ittle twig and sticks in every cemetary - shovel snow walkways from roads to sidewalks (ie at 5 and 6 am before *real* employees have to park and or get on the roads. The list could go on and on EXCEPT the non existing cigarettes butts have already been picked up around courthouse.
yup

Kenton, OH

#33 Dec 30, 2012
Maybe they could really do some good if they would start a program for homewoners to get help fixing up their house if they can't afford it. There are many people who want to make this a better town, so we all need to band together and come up with a plan.

Napoleon, OH

#34 Dec 30, 2012
Begin closing subsidized housing projects.
Clearly

Wallingford, KY

#36 Jan 2, 2013
Burn the f****** place to the ground. Not just part of it, the whole town!
Retired also

Marysville, OH

#37 Jan 20, 2013
Kenton does not have good traffic control, and the first place to start making Kenton a better place to live is to have a traffic go-around, and get the big trucks and non-local traffic going around Kenton... then you can start working on making the square better. Kenton is trashy looking, no matter which highway you come in to Kenton on, so a lot of people do need to clean up the area around their house. Too much litter pitched on the streets, sidewalks, yards (cig butts, trash, etc). There are some good people living in Kenton, but no one will really step up and decide that Kenton needs to quit sliding backwards and start becoming a little more progressive. Kenton will never be a quiet town with the big trucks rolling through 24/7 and the police do not patrol the worst traffic situation... North Detroit Street. The cops avoid patrolling that area, have no idea why. If you get the non-local traffic out of Kenton, you will probably see more people returning to the square, but who wants to fight the noise and dirty air of all those trucks that is the scourge of this town. The best thing about Kenton are the schools and some of the people.
Hop Skip and a Jump

Fairfield, OH

#38 Jan 21, 2013
If I could change anything it would be to bring the downtown back to life. If you have been to Bucyrus, Upper Sandusky, etc the downtown is filled with businesses. Friday evenings were slammed with cars and kids driving around the square. Need to find a way to bring biz back to the downtown.
etc

Minster, OH

#40 Jan 21, 2013
'Retired also' said: "police do not patrol the worst traffic situation... North Detroit Street. The cops avoid patrolling that area, have no idea why."
Funny as hell, lol.

Marysville, OH

#42 Jan 26, 2013
etc wrote:
'Retired also' said: "police do not patrol the worst traffic situation... North Detroit Street. The cops avoid patrolling that area, have no idea why."
Funny as hell, lol.
I don't get your point, why was retired also's comment funny to you? I have been down N Detroit and you take your life in your hands day and night, and retired also is correct, I've never seen a kenton police car from the north city limit to the square. Kenton has potential but the ones who have lived here for over 10 years think they have all the answers, but they don't do anything.
bird crap

Westland, MI

#43 Jan 26, 2013
Get rid of the aticks and loosers..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chris stephens (Apr '10) 21 min Open your eyes 57
Seona harpel 18 hr Snoop 6
Nikia T Baker 2018 18 hr RealDeal BMB 12
David wright? Sun Bob 1
And Mindy Keim thinks she's the best mother in ... (Feb '17) Sun Small Towner in OK 38
Suzanne and brian Sun Small Towner in OK 30
Gordon Stepp Sun Dude 2

Kenton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kenton Mortgages