What would you change about Kenton?

Posted in the Kenton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1 Dec 3, 2012
All I ever see on this site are people complaining about how much they hate Kenton. So if you could make Kenton better what would you do? Do you think a private school would help give out kids get a better start on life? Maybe a better hospital so we don’t always have to go to Findlay or Lima? Demolish crappy houses and enforce better codes? Yes, yes we all know getting rid of trash and welfare moms would be great but I want to know how? Leave names out of this.
If Kenton is so bad why don't we do something about it? Whats good about Kenton?
codes

Spencerville, OH

#3 Dec 3, 2012
there are no "codes" in kenton. For the first reason is the Local Lawyers own 80% of the slum housing... even the illustrious prosecutor was in the biz until he shafted a few of his dumps onto his partner. They will work behind the scenes to undermine any attempts . The second reason is the people themselves really do not care... look at the condition of houses and yards... too freaking lazy to have a little pride...now do not get me wrong, there are many good people -- but they are tired of fighting that loosing battle. You see even when the public speaks against something the powers that work behind the scenes lie cheat and steal to screw over the regular joe. so much Malfeasance in office by our local Gov. Untold amounts of looking the other way or harassing the little guy out of the fight. Make a trip to the Courthouse and research those nasty properties and follow the money... I had hoped our New Mayor could help... they have tied his hands...
cromwell

Kenton, OH

#4 Dec 3, 2012
a strip club would do wonders for kenton until then forget it.
ReAlNeSs

Minster, OH

#5 Dec 3, 2012
I would only change one thing about Kenton. Kenton has great schools, parks, traffic control and we even have a good police department.
Sadly what I would like to change is a few people who obviously think they are better then everyone else. They have nothing better to do, except trash talk on Topix, about the people in the city of Kenton who simply can't afford to remodel/repair the property they own. I am embarrassed that a kentonite would be so stuck up as to talk trash because someone can't afford to please you. I'm also sorry if not everyone can live up to your standard. You mentioned pride, do you feel proud to belittle someone who is struggling to make ends meat?
Now about partying. Every town, city, rural area in America have people who are struggling with alcohol and drug addiction and or people who like to get together and have a good time. So you have nothing better to do with your time then to stakeout a party? Talking about a girl who is stumbling around, your parents must be proud of you. If you really had a life you would not worry about what other people do.
I'm all for helping people and that makes my family proud of me. I don't belittle people. You guys just want to belittle others and their faults. I see no pride in that.
one thing

New York, NY

#6 Dec 3, 2012
Everything in Kenton was sooooo much better when the downtown square and Jac n Doe's pizza were packed with teenagers on Friday and Saturday nights. My parents met on the square, my husbands parents met on the square, and I met my husband of 14 years on the square..... when Kenton's downtown died on Friday and Saturday nights.... so did a little piece of all of us old enough to remember how nice of a town Kenton once was.
code

Spencerville, OH

#7 Dec 3, 2012
For your information, being poor does not require you to live in a trash heap. I grew up poor, still am poor... I know what a bar of soap is for and there is not trash strewn across my yard. I did not claim to be better than anyone, being poor does not stop you from getting a basic education or more. Being poor does not grant you the right to "party" because your life is not worthwhile... Get out and get a life... Go to church if you believe, help the homeless, lots of good things to do with the good people I mentioned but YOU were only making excuses for not being a good contributing member of society. It costs nothing to pick up after yourself, you are offended by someone thinking ill of people who do not? You need to lay off the crack pipe... you have partied one time too many....
ReAlNeSs wrote:
I would only change one thing about Kenton. Kenton has great schools, parks, traffic control and we even have a good police department.
Sadly what I would like to change is a few people who obviously think they are better then everyone else. They have nothing better to do, except trash talk on Topix, about the people in the city of Kenton who simply can't afford to remodel/repair the property they own. I am embarrassed that a kentonite would be so stuck up as to talk trash because someone can't afford to please you. I'm also sorry if not everyone can live up to your standard. You mentioned pride, do you feel proud to belittle someone who is struggling to make ends meat?
Good schools

Findlay, OH

#8 Dec 3, 2012
The schools scored at 19 out of 26 for state standards. Poverty in Hardin County is not exactly low and 32% of residents are accepting government assistance. This is compared to the 25% average for the state of Oh.
These are obvious problems backed up by statistics and you think the only thing in Kenton that needs changed is people stop thinking they are better then everyone else and gossiping? If its not true just don't say anything and ignore them. They just want to see if someone will respond.
Good schools

Findlay, OH

#9 Dec 3, 2012
I'd send my kids to a private school in Kenton if it was a good school. Id only send them for elemenerty school though
Hmm

Kenton, OH

#10 Dec 4, 2012
Kind of hard to say what I'd change without complaining in the process. So I'll say sorry in advance.

Personally I think the hospital is just fine, it's those in the hospital that are the problem (sorry). No reason for common health issues to require a trip out of town either my the person before going to HMH, or by HMH calling the ambulance.

The schools aren't too bad either. However I kind of wish there were more after school homework or w/e programs. I went to an after school homework thing and it was great. I didn't go because my parents didn't want to help me. I went because it was great having other students from my class to talk over the homework with. If I got stuck on something one of my classmates (there wasn't a lot of us) who went to the homework thing helped and if they got stuck others helped them. I made some good friends in that study/homework thing. Having this program for elementary schools could allow those "welfare" moms to work longer hours. Child care is very expensive and even welfare moms have to think of that cost.

The crappy houses aren't going to change until or unless the realtors, lawyers, contractors, etc come off of them. I know of a couple homes people have looked into buying, and the owner wont come off of it, yet don't take care of the property. To change it, those living near/next to those properties need to start calling and complaining. No reason those houses should be allowed tons of trash, 6' high grass, broken windows, etc.

I don't know how to do it, but somehow the city/county needs to promote job growth within the city. We have so few decent paying jobs, that having a job here can still qualify the worker for assistance. With the cost of gas, going out of town to work can be very costly. Heck in my own home it averages $60 a week just in gas for just 1 person.

What I like about the city? Is the people. I know we have some, um, not so good people, however this city has tons of wonderful people who are giving, caring, and very generous. Those people are the true heart of the city and are overshadowed by the not so good people.
waiting

Marysville, OH

#11 Dec 4, 2012
I would like to see work ethics taught in the homes and schools. I've seen too many with an I don't care attitude go through the revolving doors of employment in town. More pride is needed in ourselves and each other. Residents need to let go of their socioeconomic cliques and be more positive and respectful to everyone. Too many have a negative attitude to the ones who ARE trying to do better. They are put down by the lazy and rejected by the people who feel better than others. This puts up a wall between social classes. Everyone has a responsibility to better the community. Including myself.
Ben

Houston, OH

#13 Dec 4, 2012
I like Kenton, born here, left and came back after retirement, so I get it…. and the following is just MY opinion....

Kenton has great people.. Most are kind, caring and compassionate. Yes we have our snobs and we have our wannabe’s but for the most part, just good people. Kenton is not the town it once was, that age has come and gone and now we seem to have a struggle between those who want us to grow and those who want a quiet little farming community. I find myself leaning toward quiet. Current census data states we have 8,336 people living in 3,495 households (tax Base) which is down from 1990. I would be interested in census data for decades starting in 1900 if anyone has a link.

Drugs.. Yeap they are here to, just like everywhere else. IMHO it does seem to be a little worse but let’s face it with the economy the way it is this may be a sign of the times… Do I wish we could do more to stem the tide; sure I do, but the local LEO’s have only so big a bucket. Which brings me to my next point can Kenton REALLY need a full time PD and FD. Most city’s our size and in our economic condition have gone to a partial paid and volunteer FD and cut PD’s way back and asked the local Sheriff to help, yes you have to pay for that but you are saving salary’s and benefit packages which are a large budget item. Is there a significant decrease in response time? According to the NFPA, FEMA and other agencies, no. Do I like having a fulltime FD/PD… ABSOLUTLY… Can we afford it? I don’t know. Do we need good roads, drinkable water, a good sewer system more?… I wonder where we draw the line. If, as a community, we feel these services must be staffed as they currently are, then the cost must be borne by the tax paying homeowners. Maybe if we advertised as a bedroom community for Marysville, Findlay, Lima…. encourage people to move here for the quiet lifestyle, that’s why I moved back after retirement.…

Schools are a little worse than average but that’s our fault for allowing that to happen. We have a Board of Education WE elected… You get the leadership you deserve.

As for the rest of the infrastructure, I turn on the tap and get clean water, flush the commode and don’t have to worry, have yet to lose a tire on one of the local roadways…. I have always been treated with respect when I have dealt with any city employee, they seem friendly, well trained and informed. I do wonder if they are spending my money wisely… We elect our council on the theory they will serve the greater good and communicate with us on a regular basis. Not sure when the last time I heard from my council representative. In my last city, I could sign up for email notifications from my councilperson and city. I would like to see something on the city website and maybe in a little more detail in advance of any vote so I can, if I have one, offer my opinion on an issue.

Medical... I do wish we had a larger pool of physician’s; it’s a pain (pardon the pun) to drive to Marion or Lima for medical services.
Run for office

Findlay, OH

#16 Dec 4, 2012
Sooo anyone on here thinking about running for office and making changes? It sounds like its time to clean house
Ben

Houston, OH

#17 Dec 5, 2012
Run for office wrote:
Sooo anyone on here thinking about running for office and making changes? It sounds like its time to clean house
I get your point ... but I also expect/demand that those who have freely chosen to stand before the electorate and ask for our vote be held to a high standard. Otherwise if I need a new street light on my block I might as well run and get my light and not worry about anyone else. You know the WIIFM mentality.

Or maybe I expect to much, maybe the America of the people, by the people is truley dead. Some days I wonder
Ben

Houston, OH

#20 Dec 5, 2012
abc wrote:
<quoted text>it isnt dead, just badly wounded. you should run for mayor and fix it all.
Will you be the Safety Services Director?:))

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#21 Dec 6, 2012
I'm just happy to see a topic on this site that is constructive.
The Real Burchiel

Highland, MI

#22 Dec 6, 2012
I like tha idea of gettin that square going again. I used to score sum hawt tail up there still do but it was like shootin fish in a barrell when all the hunnies were just standin there waiting to get dicks. The square also was good for fist fites. U could go up there. Jack sum ones jaw, or break they face for lippin off then pic out a piece of tail for the nite.
topics

Houston, OH

#23 Dec 7, 2012
So much for constructive topics
i know

Highland, MI

#24 Dec 7, 2012
topics wrote:
So much for constructive topics
Just ignore Lonnie & Birdshiit on here. They live in a fantasy world where every man fears them, and every woman gets soaking wet just thinking about them.
yup

Kenton, OH

#25 Dec 28, 2012
Personally, I think the biggest problems I see here start with each of us. So many people lack the self control to keep their mouth shut when negative stuff about others wants to come out. There isn't a huge sense of loyalty with alot of people. Yes, I like this better than the big city, but the drugs and crime are not getting much better. Maybe if dealers got hard time everytime, and maybe if people were taught better as children, we could make something happen.
retired

Kenton, OH

#26 Dec 28, 2012
Work ethics ARE being taught in the schools. Why can't children get their homework done on time? Why aren't the parents attending conferences and school activities? In order for a work ethic to be taught to children, they must have role models and be held accountable for their responsibilities at home. So the parents of the last generation have let us down and have not been consistent or reliable when it comes to raising their children.Also there is so much divorce, children don't know where they are sleeping from one day to the next. Children are the victims.
The government has done its job in Kenton and we are doing fine in Hardin County.
Housing is below average as far as rentals and some who don't repair their properties. This all comes back to work ethic and job availability.
There are jobs available in Kenton but those who complain about not having money refuse to take those jobs. Seems it is easier to lay around and do nothing, or get high on alcohol or drugs. Is that any kind of life?
Kenton seems to be divided by the "haves" and "have-nots" which is mostly determined by the people themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autumn cottonswab (Sep '15) 1 hr austin 66
Soap opera laundromat 2 hr Jack be Nimble 2
Sarcastic Sat Leeann henige 4
How can you Fri Bama 14
Od at Walmart on June 24 Fri Bama 3
Who is coal Rollin ??? Possible reward Fri Coal rolling 15
I love how the Facebook likes dictates how ur r... Fri zormont 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kenton Mortgages