Kent State Uses Controversial Title For New Center | Ohio News ...

Full story: 10TV WBNS 30
A new student center is opening on the Kent State campus and one of the words in the title may surprise you. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tired of it all

Rushsylvania, OH

#21 Mar 11, 2010
Dealbreaker for me, too. There sure isn't a "Scottish Awareness" month, building, etc. How about European American? Many of us came here because our families were impoverished in our native countries.

I guess my heritage isn't important since I'm white. I'm not gay or a minority. That must mean that everything is easier for me. Let's offer a center at a college for me, too. I don't fit the LGBTQ qualification nor am a minority. I don't have a building for my needs?

I resent programs and buildings such as these. I had a family member not get jobs (knowingly) because they were the "wrong color". Every applicant was a minority and he was the only white person that applied for the job. You can't prove it - but that's the same all the way around. How long does everyone have to pay because SOME of our forefathers did horrible things?

He never found a job in that field and gave up. College degree down the tubes. If he would have been a minority, he would have likely had a job because of the "minorities encouraged to apply" status of so many jobs. Quota hiring ruined his career.

I'm tired of all of this PC. If I disagree, I'm called a bigot. Let's have a European-American building or one for the Scottish heritage. I'm feeling left out!
Seriously

Columbus, OH

#22 Mar 12, 2010
Kent Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Um.. I go to Kent, And its "read" and "write" not reed and right... get it right.. the jokes not funny when you spell it wrong
It was a JOKE.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#23 Mar 12, 2010
Not Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you apparently find the need everyday to do nothing but sit around and make comments on EVERY story. I wish I could lounge around in my lazy boy trolling internet comment boards all day. About every 1/1000 of your comments deserves any merit or is even slightly witty. If you can't think of something ACTUALLY funny to say, don't say it. Rupaul center? Are you serious? I didn't even crack the slightest of a smile on that one. You're just an attention w h o r e. Get over yourself. I'm not saying this because I'm offended in anyway, I have a very non-PC sense of humor--this was just stupid. But, you'll probably get a few funny ratings from the joke and be able to sleep better tonight knowing what a comedian you are.
Thank God you told me this. Now I can change my life based on your feelings. All this time I've been trying to make YOU laugh. I'm a failure and should be flogged. Thank you for showing me the way to true happiness in life. On second thought I changed my mind. Suck it.
BlackSquirrel

Columbus, OH

#24 Mar 12, 2010
This is a waste of taxpayers' dollars! Of course, the tuition keeps raising; it already is higher for summer quarter. What use would the classes be except for a psychology major? There need only be one class. Why is the center needed? Maybe all the students should be LBGTQ and get a free ride in some scholarship or need based aid based on sexual preference. Sarcasm heavily noted.
Nic

Columbus, OH

#25 Mar 12, 2010
It would seem that any word these days could be considered with a negative feel, but at times it depends on the context of how the word was used. Think about it, if the GLBT community had a rally at some point some have used "We're here we're queer..." and so on. I don't get how its "bad" in this sence, just seemed as all the "titles" got listed being in an alternative lifestyle.
billy jo

Columbus, OH

#26 Mar 12, 2010
queers aint no good
Rachael

Danville, CA

#27 Mar 13, 2010
The place where young people were gunned down on their way to classes seems a strange location to foment trouble...and this is unnecessary trouble.
Inquiring Mind

Mount Vernon, OH

#28 Mar 15, 2010
Jack Stephens wrote:
Just looking at the posts here and it confirms it. The ONLY ones who object are the fake "xtians" who insist on forcing their "make believe spaghetti monster" on others. Even The Real Jesus wants nothing to do with you and none of you are getting into heaven.
Really? Have you spoken with Him about that recently?
But srsly

Columbus, OH

#29 Jun 22, 2010
PC ALERT wrote:
Why!!! Do we have a Straight Student Center? While I am respectful of the rights of gays, I am very concerned that we stretch diversity to the extreme.
Does Kent State have a Christian, Jewish or Muslim Student Center- NO.
My thought is for public education centers funded by taxes is to allow access for all with some basic rules.
When special access is granted, it opens a can of worms that is difficult to offer to all.
Where would this stop?
The Straight Student Center would be the "Student Center". And before we start decrying our tax dollars being used for "deviants" as someone so casually referred to all LGBT identified people, you might want to look into where the money comes from. There are such things are private donors. If any of you are actually enraged enough you might want to check with someone at Kent State before lambasting an office that will probably do a lot of good on the campus.
And as a side note, many colleges and universities have LGBT or Gender studies departments. It's pretty standard. Some examples include Harvard, Princeton, and Brown. God forbid Kent State attempt to model the academic excellence of institutions such as these.
sjm

Columbus, OH

#30 Jun 23, 2010
I think a degree in "womens's studies" or "q*u*e*e*r studies"... that is the name of the degree at Dennison,so I'm just using the "accepted" vernacular here... is just as useless whether it comes from Harvard or from Columbus State.

What exactly would one do with such a degree, other than get involved in rabid activism? Not much.

I'm already a woman, I don't need a degree in how to be one. Having a degree doesn't further qualify me to do "feminine things". All a degree in "women's studies" does is put me 100k in debt for a piece of paper that says "Look at my all-consuming arrogance, self-importance, elitism, and activism. I have a degree in how fricking AWESOME I think I am. Go me."

I would imagine gay people aren't much different. Don't they already know what they're doing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kent Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Lorie (Jun '10) Dec 21 Califguy 15
Tallmadge police arrest Akron man in theft of p... Dec 14 Lucas Mccain 1
Review: N&M Audio & Repair Dec 8 kevin 1
Samuel D Faulkner, Use of Force expert exposed ... (Oct '13) Nov '14 youre no daisy 6
Wayne Dawson (Oct '09) Nov '14 Riff 139
Stow High shooting in 1972 (Oct '12) Nov '14 Steve 28
Moving to Ravenna Nov '14 liedto2o14 3
Kent Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kent People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kent News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kent

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]