Polluted Grand Lake Has Rich History ...

Polluted Grand Lake Has Rich History | Ohio News Network (ONN)

There are 5 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Polluted Grand Lake Has Rich History | Ohio News Network (ONN). In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

Built in the early 1800's, Grand Lake St. Marys was once the largest man made lake in the world.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

Moved out-of-state

Hollywood, FL

#1 Jul 26, 2010
I remember as a youth attending the Methodist church camp on the lake . I told my cabin director that the water was burning my eyes and making me sick....and that was in 1972! Glad to see that Ohio takes such great care in its treasures....oh yeah.....I keep forgetting, the Ohio government lets the rivers catch on fire too!
Hippie73

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Jul 26, 2010
Another prime example of how well Ohio takes care of their lakes and streams, is Raccoon Creek in southeast Ohio. It's been decades since any fish has lived in that creek. Also I would not eat any fish out of Lake Logan.
Wabashbeaver

Coldwater, OH

#3 Aug 2, 2010
The lake will never be any good anymore because it doesn't get any fresh water. After the state put in the new Spillway in 1997, they (State) refuse to drain any stale water and silt out of it. The lake is only 4-5 feet deep and any rains go right over the top of the Spillway and flood the farmland. The State has already paid out millions of dollars to farmers for flooding the land and there are still more lawsuits pending in the courts. OPEN THE SPILLWAY!!!! wITH THE MONEY THE STATE IS SPENDING ON LAWSUITS WHICH THEY ARE LOSING, THEY COULD DREDGE THE LAKE THREE OR FOUR FEET DEEPER!!
medicinewoman

Hilliard, OH

#4 Aug 7, 2010
My husband surprised me with a weekend trip to Grand Lake in June 2 years ago (2008). We were both shocked and dismayed by what we saw. The water was a toxic looking irrodescent green color that definitely did not look normal or safe. In all our travels, we've never seen anything like it. We were amazed that people were swimming and fishing in it. Furthermore, there were hundreds of large dead carp floating on the lake, most covered with dark speckles, a sure sign of distress/ illness. There were many herons nesting in the area. We were not only concerned about the fish but for other critters such as the herons ospreys, and other water birds that rely on the lake and nearby streams for thier food source. The locals we talked to said the lake water quality has been declining for years as has the number of fish. We are glad to see this obvious problem is finally getting attention and assistance.
Paul Harrisonfor

Circleville, OH

#5 Jul 18, 2011
Get a private contractor to fix the lake. Drain the thing and make it about 30 feet deep. Do it and do it right ! Get with it and stop the polution.Can't the elected guys do one thing right for the people and not for. themself.I don't mind paying taxes ,but lets make it a good investment!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kent Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rat boy (Nov '08) Feb 2 clueless 29
News Wayne Dawson (Oct '09) Feb 1 Mikki 151
Looking for Lorie (Jun '10) Jan 27 Rupert 24
Power outage Jan 22 Ggreathouse 1
News Streetsboro men indicted for Aurora, Kent burgl... Jan 21 Walkin Boss 1
Kent Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jan 20 Musikologist 12
News Future of Chapel Hill Mall of concern to Tallma... Jan 18 Yeeeipppie Booooyeee 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kent Mortgages