Portage to face civil suit

RAVENNA: A Portage County judge has ruled that Randy Resh and Bob Gondor must file their lawsuit alleging wrongful imprisonment against the county prosecutor's office. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Politician

Dayton, OH

#1 Jun 9, 2008
So because some defense atorneys screwed up years ago, the taxpayers should pay these guys money. I say they were housed and fed for 17 years on taxpayer money, we're even. Give them a nice civil service job and let them earn their money like everybody else.
Duke for Mayor

Yorba Linda, CA

#6 Jun 10, 2008
Politician wrote:
So because some defense atorneys screwed up years ago, the taxpayers should pay these guys money. I say they were housed and fed for 17 years on taxpayer money, we're even. Give them a nice civil service job and let them earn their money like everybody else.
The State, through the actions of the County Prosecutor's Office, "screwed up". The State should pay up.

woof
Gordo the Wonderful

Bedford, OH

#7 Jun 10, 2008
Another Viggy case, time for a new prosecutor and not that clown Cimino!

Since: Jun 08

Akron, OH

#8 Jun 10, 2008
Gordo the Wonderful wrote:
Another Viggy case, time for a new prosecutor and not that clown Cimino!
Actually it was David Norris who was the prosecutor at the time of conviction, although Viggy was the one fighting all the retrials and release.

SOMEBODY needs to pay up!

“Ignorance=a curable condition.”

Since: Jan 08

Mansfield, OH

#9 Jun 10, 2008
Let The Vig foot the bill. He's a scary thing.....
Tim

Akron, OH

#10 Jun 10, 2008
Your kidding right?? You know damn good and well that the "legal" system is going to make it as hard as possible on these guys to protect it's own "legal" system.

Since: Nov 07

Ohio

#11 Jun 10, 2008
For Judge Pittman (who was blatantly for the prosecutions side during Resh's trial last year) to rule that Gondor and Resh must sue "the prosecutor's office" just doesn't jive with the law.

The Prosecutor's office has "sovereign immunity" and CANNOT be sued directly. The State of Ohio/Attorney General's office must be the office that the lawsuit is brought against.

It isn't like this is the first wrongful incarceration civil suit to ever be filed in Ohio.

Of course myself and anyone who knows ANYTHING about this case or Portage County realizes that the corrupt "powers that be" are ONCE AGAIN setting up roadblocks to keep Gondor and Resh from receiving any type of compensation.

More taxpayer $$$$'s hard at work!! NOT!
Justice

AOL

#12 Jun 10, 2008
What really gets me about this case is the fact that this case was NEVER re-opened with so many facts pointing to who really did this , all the information is out there in black and white as to who really did this horrible crime. So, instead of puting the right people behind bars, they chose to spend the tax payers money to prosecute these innocent men. Now more tax payers money will be spent do defend their mess up. Admit your mess up, apologize to these innocent men and their families, go after the names that have been put right in front of your face and let Connie Nardi rest in peace. Give her family peace.
TLS

AOL

#13 Jun 10, 2008
Why can't the state of ohio, and portage county just own up to this mess. Give these guys what they deserve. You can't give them their lives you took from them back. I know so many innocent people sitting in Ohio prisons it's scary. Let Bob and Randy get on with their lives, and let Connie Nardi's family have the peace they deserve. LET Bob and Randy have some PEACE...

Ohio

#14 Jun 10, 2008
WWW.TYRONENOLING.COM

*Same county as Bob and Randy <Portage>

*Same initial prosecutor and current prosecutor as Bob and Randy <Norris and VVV>

*Same police investigator as Bob and Randy
<Ron Craig>

Coincidence? I don't think so!

This man is sitting on Death Row. How's that for justice?
Big Brother

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Jun 10, 2008
Mr. Politician is just that - A Politician's way of thinking. Like the Prosecutor's office and Pittman, this is just a game they lost. They are not interested in doing the right thing. They want to protect their own no matter what, even justice is blind to them. The Prosecutor's Office, The State and the honorable Ms. Pittman should lift up their shades and react like human beings, not robots.
LOVING A CONVICT

United States

#17 Jun 10, 2008
peppermint g wrote:
It isn't like this is the first wrongful incarceration civil suit to ever be filed in Ohio.
Of course myself and anyone who knows ANYTHING about this case or Portage County realizes that the corrupt "powers that be" are ONCE AGAIN setting up roadblocks to keep Gondor and Resh from receiving any type of compensation.
More taxpayer $$$$'s hard at work!! NOT!
I agree!!! And hope these men get every penny they DESERVE!!!
Jim

Vermilion, OH

#18 Jun 10, 2008
Just because there's only one name on a ballot sheet doesn't always guarantee the result , does it?

Ohio

#19 Jun 10, 2008
Jim wrote:
Just because there's only one name on a ballot sheet doesn't always guarantee the result , does it?
Nope. It doesn't. V V V has already said that he's running for County Prosecutor again. He's not ready to "pass the torch" <-- his words.

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/3042902

“~*~ Wildly Alive~*~”

Boston Hts

#20 Jun 10, 2008
peppermint g wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. It doesn't. V V V has already said that he's running for County Prosecutor again. He's not ready to "pass the torch" <-- his words.
http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/3042902
And Arent They currently planning a huge renovation and addition to the prosecutors office??
John

Cleveland, OH

#21 Jun 10, 2008
This so totally wrong to put these guys thru all this, they deserve to be compensated for their time spent behind bars.....especially when they shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

The trial was a slap in the face to justice and they were railroaded by people who didn't want to do their jobs properly.

It was right that Randy and Bob were 'finally' freed (although it could have happened much earlier) and it is only right they be properly compensated for 'wrongful imprisonment!'

It is time for the system to 'right the wrong' and quit trying to pretend it never happened......it did!! Let me put it this way though...would the judge, the prosecuting attorneys and others who did not do their job properly want to spend any time in jail? I don't think so, which is why it is so wrong to not compensate these men for time they never should have spent in the first place!!!

Justice needs to come thru here!!!
John

Cleveland, OH

#22 Jun 10, 2008
Politician wrote:
OK, so then why don't you go spend 17 years of your life behind bars. You'll get housed and fed while in there. Maybe then you'll realize what a stupid statement you made!!

And to name yourself 'Politician' is quite suitable..........screw the people, as long as you aren't inconvenienced. Heck, maybe you should be the one paying their bills!!!

“~*~ Wildly Alive~*~”

Boston Hts

#23 Jun 10, 2008
MmmHmmm Here it is....

Recordpub.com
Prosecutor to move,$4.3 million renovation in Ravenna will make way for Vigluicci, staff offices
Mike Sever
August 5, 2007
By Mike Sever

Record-Courier staff writer

Renovation of an existing building in downtown Ravenna for the new Portage County Prosecutor's office will cost $4.3 million.

That includes adding a floor, renovating two existing floors and completely outfitting the offices.

Portage County commissioners got the latest estimates Thursday from Eric Droll of Hasenstab Architects Inc., of Akron.

"I'm having a little sticker shock here," Commissioner Chris Smeiles said.

Droll said the construction cost is $3.2 million. The $4.3 million includes contingencies, furniture and interior finishes.

"Thank God the building is already there," Commissioner Maureen Frederick said.

One obstruction was overlooked until the renderings of the project were shown last week at Ravenna's planning commission meeting.

Smeiles asked what it would cost to take the overhead electric and other cables that festoon the corner and move them underground.

Droll said that was not part of the renovation project, but the firm's in-house electrical engineer said it could cost around $100,000 to bury the lines. Commissioners asked Droll to firm up the estimates.

Commissioner Chuck Keiper said the cost, spread over the life of the building, would be small and would help clean up the look of the building. Cables around Ravenna's downtown and the courthouse were put underground several years ago as part of the city's "streetscape" project.

The cable relocation could be added as an option when the project goes to construction bid later this year. Construction should begin in early 2008.

Related county projects include paving a large parking lot at Spruce Avenue and Prospect Street.

The county will shortly seek bids to raze four buildings at Riddle Avenue and Meridian Street that abut courthouse parking. Two of the buildings facing Riddle were most recently used by the Portage County Educational Service Center. Two wood frame houses on Meridian were used for various social service programs which have relocated. Plans are to expand the courthouse parking lot.
Poe

Akron, OH

#24 Jun 10, 2008
I hear Mike Nifong needs a job now that he isn't making up crap about college lacrosse players, I'm sure he'd fit right in at the prosecutor's office.
Justice For All

Canton, OH

#25 Jun 10, 2008
I commend Ed Myer for bringing this case to light and for continuing to report. I didn't see anything in the Record Courier about this, although they go out of their way to try to convince that they are not pro prosecutor.

How do you have a County that is incestuous in every aspect of the legal system, judging matters for their own? Corruption runs so deep that it would take an FBI inquiry to untangle all of the knots.

Why do the people of Portage County continue to allow this corruption to eat at their community?

IT'S TIME TO VOTE THESE IDIOTS OUT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kent Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brimfield Chief Oliver's rise to - Internet Sen... 18 hr Mr Smith 1
the bunny man on hoarders (Jan '11) Sat Really 8
Stow high teacher mr ereth ? (May '12) Jan 20 rob 4
Report: Brimfield Police Chief David Oliver to ... Jan 17 Inspector hopalon... 1
Letter accuses retiring Brimfield police chief ... Jan 16 Inspector humpee ... 1
Looking for Lorie (Jun '10) Jan 12 darxstar 18
Investigators link Tallmadge man's DNA to mask ... Jan 7 lil ty 2
Kent Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kent People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST

NFL 8:43AM