Woman Sexually Assaulted In Kensington

Woman Sexually Assaulted In Kensington

There are 61 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Aug 26, 2008, titled Woman Sexually Assaulted In Kensington. In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

Montgomery County police are investigating a sex assault near Beach Drive and Connecticut Avenue in Kensington .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
SusanG

Franklinton, NC

#1 Aug 26, 2008
What don't women understand about jogging alone after dark in an unlit area much less in a dark secluded park ?????
no consent

Dumfries, VA

#2 Aug 26, 2008
What is it about men that think they can have whatever woman they want, regardless of whether she wants to or not? SusanG, are the kind of person that says "She was drunk and dressed like sl*t, so she was asking for it."?
SusanG

Franklinton, NC

#3 Aug 26, 2008
Better safe than sorry, rape is not about sex its about violance
Polecat

Washington, DC

#4 Aug 26, 2008
Sorry, I agree with Susan G. No woman deserves this but what how many ladies need to be raped before woman understand jogging at night in a secluded park isnt a good idea?? thats just being stupid!!!! There are soo many alternatives to doing this, there is no reason any woman should be jogging ALONE, IN THE DARK, IN A PARK!!!!!!!!!! wtf!!!!
Washington DC

Oxon Hill, MD

#5 Aug 26, 2008
Va trails are not safe and now Md. trails as well. Women and children should not be on any trails alone in the Washington DC metropolitain area. Carry a weapon for self defense, a deadly weapon. Aids and hiv kills.
no consent

Dumfries, VA

#6 Aug 26, 2008
But why should women have to deal with this? Why should women have to take extra precautions. The fact of the matter is, women should be able to have ultimate providence over their body. By saying, "well, she shouldn't have been out there" toes awfully close to blaming the victim.
Tell me, if a bank gets robbed, do you blame the banker for keeping money in the vault?
DMA from Washington DC

Washington, DC

#7 Aug 26, 2008
Sorry this happened but ladies please if you are going to jog, bike or walk when it gets dark do it in numbers not alone.
Sarcasm

Washington, DC

#8 Aug 26, 2008
That's just terrible ... Kensington is a really safe community. I hope they catch the assailant soon. I've seen many people jog down that trail all the time.
Truth

Waldorf, MD

#9 Aug 26, 2008
no consent,

"Why should women have to deal with this?"

You can't be serious. Yes, it was a sexual assault in this case, but who is to say that the same person wouldn't have assaulted and robbed a male that jogged by? Why should anyone INCLUDING MEN, have to put up with not being completely safe?

Of course women have "ultimate providence" over their bodies. Judging by your "enlightened vocabulary" you are probably highly educated, grew up privileged in an area where there were low crime rates, and bad things like this didn't happen so often. In fact, I would bet that you are not even from this area.

I grew up in Wheaton and can tell you that you need to take precautions in this area because, guess what, there are BAD PEOPLE around here that could give a crap about your "ultimate providence".

But you keep living in your ideal world where bad people have no right to assault you. You keep going out for jogs in wooded areas at night, by yourself, with no protection and see far you make it with your ideals.

Good luck.

Live in the now.
doowop89

Washington, DC

#10 Aug 26, 2008
no consent wrote:
What is it about men that think they can have whatever woman they want, regardless of whether she wants to or not? SusanG, are the kind of person that says "She was drunk and dressed like sl*t, so she was asking for it."?
Sorry, this is not a case of "having it." This is a case of "taking it."
If dogs could talk

United States

#11 Aug 26, 2008
no consent wrote:
But why should women have to deal with this? Why should women have to take extra precautions. The fact of the matter is, women should be able to have ultimate providence over their body. By saying, "well, she shouldn't have been out there" toes awfully close to blaming the victim.
Tell me, if a bank gets robbed, do you blame the banker for keeping money in the vault?
I totally agree with you. In a civilized society, we should be able to walk or jog through neighborhood parks any time of day or night without threat of being attacked. In a civilized society, we should be able to sleep with our bedroom windows open on a summer night without inviting intruders. The problem is we do not live in a civilized society.

If you must jog, carry a weapon (and know how to use it with confidence!). Most of these creeps are cowards and will only attack easy prey. Otherwise get a treadmill.
doowop89

Washington, DC

#12 Aug 26, 2008
no consent wrote:
Bad analogy, but I will humor you.

A bank is only at fault if it had no security precautions.

Nowadays, not only can a woman be assaulted by a human being while jogging, they can get attacked by animals too.
DMA from Washington DC

Washington, DC

#13 Aug 26, 2008
Sarcasm wrote:
That's just terrible ... Kensington is a really safe community. I hope they catch the assailant soon. I've seen many people jog down that trail all the time.
Obviously no community is safe anymore!!
GreenWhiteRed

Norfolk, VA

#15 Aug 26, 2008
I dont feel the least bit sorry becuase she was stupid for jogging that late in the woods.. Its her own fault
If dogs could talk

United States

#16 Aug 26, 2008
Sarcasm wrote:
That is why you make easy targets for these creeps. The bad guys from unsafe communities have cars, and they know your guard is down in a "safe" community. I think perhaps they even get a thrill out of crushing your sense of safety.
TEATIME

Washington, DC

#17 Aug 26, 2008
No place is safe..I live in a "safe neighorhood" with trails I walk (never by myself) daily. During the first hint of nice weather this spring, after dinner, while still light and the trails were crowded..i took my dog with me...I had an incident with a young guy who just set my intuition screaming..he stopped and was just staring at me...I listened to my gut...made a cell call for help..I waited for someone to pass by and make my escape...while I ran past him...he had change rolled up in his hand, which is a very effective weapon! Ladies, listen to your gut reaction...it is never wrong!
If dogs could talk

United States

#18 Aug 26, 2008
TEATIME wrote:
No place is safe..I live in a "safe neighorhood" with trails I walk (never by myself) daily. During the first hint of nice weather this spring, after dinner, while still light and the trails were crowded..i took my dog with me...I had an incident with a young guy who just set my intuition screaming..he stopped and was just staring at me...I listened to my gut...made a cell call for help..I waited for someone to pass by and make my escape...while I ran past him...he had change rolled up in his hand, which is a very effective weapon! Ladies, listen to your gut reaction...it is never wrong!
And you didn't kill him when you had the chance. You owe his next victim an apology.
blackspeak

Falls Church, VA

#19 Aug 26, 2008
It is impractical and very irresponsible for women to jog alone near wooded areas in the late evening and early morning.
Ethan

Washington, DC

#20 Aug 26, 2008
can we get a description on this, I'll patrol the area myself, armed.
TEATIME

Washington, DC

#21 Aug 26, 2008
No I did not kill anyone. I was minding my own business walking my dog..I was on pure adrenaline. Flight mode...if I stayed to fight, I would have been attacked ..As I ran out of the trail I stopped four other women who were walking with ear phones on and warned them to turn around...and then I reported it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reggae is 100% Jamaican...NOT Puerto Rican (Mar '10) Aug '17 Panarican12 86
car repair Aug '17 j99mac 1
News Federal Contractor Abruptly Shuts Down (Mar '08) Jul '17 Location location 1,176
News Bernie Sanders tells his Maryland faithful to b... Jul '17 USA Today 1
Beware: MoCo Republican cops are on the take Jun '17 Harveyringwald 1
News MS-13 gang member gets life sentence for murder (Nov '08) May '17 Son of CSA 120
News Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance (Feb '08) Apr '15 kmls 94

Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kensington Mortgages