gaylord mansion and bridge hauntings ...
Danny w

Ankeny, IA

#22 Mar 3, 2012
I dont beleive in ghost but me tauni and some freinds went to the bridge after we left we drove thru a graveyard near by and are car died 3 times it was enough to scare us so we left .
jessica

Wilton, IA

#23 Mar 14, 2012
kjgh wrote:
does any one know where the gaylord bridge is located?
well i live rite next to gaylord mansion, its creepy, the bridge is sorta hard to find, you go to the street with the post office on it then u just kjeep going down, until u find a gravel road, then u go back the gravel road and theres a river with a bridge over it, the bridge has blood on it and theres some very creepy forests by it which if u walk thru them will lead u to Gaylord mansion.
Elise Renee Gingerich

Lawrence, KS

#24 Mar 14, 2012
I Lived In A Group Care Home In Northern Iowa Called The Transitional Center....While I Was A Mental Patient, In That Group Care Home, Called The Transitional Center, In Northern Iowa, I Think That One Person I Hung Out With, Killed Themself, And Another One Died From An Untreated Lung Disease....(Yes, One Of The Other Clients I Hung Out With, Killed Himself I Think, And The Other One, Had A Bad Lung Infection, And He Was Left Untreated By The Staff And He Died A Day Or So After I Had Hung Out With Him....):( Mentally Ills Are Treated Rather Quite Poorly....(Yes, All Of Us Mentally Ill People Are Treated Rather Quite Poorly!) The Place Is In Mason City Iowa.....(Yes, I Think That The Group Care Home Is In Mason City Iowa, I Don't Even Know If It's Even Currently Open Or Not!) However, I Don't Even Know If The Group Care Home Is Currently Open Or Not, I Left Several Years Ago....(Yes, I Left Several Years Ago!) it never really leaves you....no matter where else you go to, it never really leaves you!
michael

Mason City, IA

#25 Mar 19, 2012
Ok story time is over... for those of u that keep hearing rumors.. they are just that... i work for a local newspaper.. And am a part time paranormal investigator.. the story is that gaylord did infact kill his family in the house and the towns people hung him from the bridge.. I have been in the mansion while i did hear the piano, And did hear faint voices as for the bridge.. i was just there under it and all i got nothing from it!!!!Please follow us on facebook.. WWW.facebook.com/paranormalinvestigatingteams... ..
sonya

Hampton, IA

#26 Apr 6, 2012
im 33 now, but when i was 15 and 16 years old, Gaylords wasn't bored up, so at night my friends and i would go in there.....there was so many creepy feelings. EVERYTIME we would leave the house to go to the car, a little girl would be in the upstairs window, not making a sound, just watching..i have goosies just typing it. As for the spray paint as someone mentioned...i apologize, for im one of the dumb kids 18 years ago who did that. im not one to believe in silly things, but, i seen it myself, and i felt it. Good luck to all you wanting to adventure Gaylords..to get caught by the police though, ive heard its watched.
Jordan

Saint Paul, MN

#27 Apr 19, 2012
The Whole story of Edison Gaylord murdering his family is false! The rock grove cemetery south east of town is where his while family was laid to rest - all different dates of death. Vinnea Gaylord was the last person to live in the house. She was a spinster and had a lot of cats. My grandfather once visited the house when she was alive and living there and all he could tell me was the place was messy with cats. I believe that white lady is Miss Vinnea Gaylord. I had an incident where I drove past the house and saw a lady in the window.
Joey

United States

#28 Apr 21, 2012
Ok all u retards my aunt owns the gaylord mansion i was there today its not haunted, I will admit it is very creepy and ppl have vandalized it very much they have graphity with vulgarity and a high level of perversion and obscenity they have torn down everything she has done to maintain it. some jerks had a bonfire in what now looks to be the living room people say that there are dead buried in the basement but that's not true at all we were there for at least 2 hours if not 3 in the house or in the doorway to the house we did not feel anything different except for how bad we felt for the building my aunt and the first ever owners (who would rest in piece if u jerks didn't torment and vandalize there beautiful house) There is no proof that anyone was ever killed there and if anyone did die there i assume it would be mrs. or mr. Gaylord just passing away in there own house they worked hard to earn so all u who go there please dont ruin the beautiful work of the century they made that house because it is really amazing if u think about it.
Charlotte Iowa City

North Liberty, IA

#29 Apr 29, 2012
History of Edson Gaylord
Edson Gaylord, born in Northville, Litchfield County, Conn., October 16, 1826, is a son of Samuel and Betsy (Jackson) Gaylord. His paternal grandfather, Ager Gaylord, was in the French and Indian wars, and distinguished himself by killing two Frenchmen at one shot, while on picket duty. The Gaylordís are noted as a long-lived race, several of his ancestors reaching 100, and one the advanced age of 112 years. His mother was specially noted for her fine vocal powers. Edson Gaylord has always been a hard-working man commencing at the early age of six years, when his father hired him out to ride a horse for Elmer Baldwin, of New Milford, Conn., to plow a steep side-hill full of stumps and stones. He was put on the horse, which was hitched ahead of two yoke of unbroken steers. The horse pulled one way and the steers the other. The order was given to "lick up", and he "licked up", when off they started, boy, horse, steers, and lastly Yankee Baldwin, holding on to the plow with a death-like grip. He started as soon as the sun was up in the morning, and rode all day, returning just as it was dark, and received six and one-fourth cents a day. At the age of nine, he was hired out to work on a farm at $6 per month. At the age of seventeen he went to Sussex County, N.J. to teach school. He left home with $7 in money and one plain suit of clothes. After traveling three days he reached his destination with fifty cents left. He taught the school three successive terms and returned to Connecticut with $70, paid up his father's small debts and commenced going to school. Three weeks later he was sent for from a backcountry school, where the large scholars had just dismissed the teacher with fearful warnings if he ever dared show himself in the community again as a teacher. After many warnings from friends and much persuasion from the committee he concluded to accept the position that he filled with perfect satisfaction to all concerned for three winters. In the spring of 1848 he engaged to work for Captain John Peters, of Woodville, for $160 a year, pledging himself to work faithfully, with no holiday. This pledge he kept to the letter, losing no time in the following five years. He did not make up by working nights. He taught three terms in a district school in New Jersey. Up to the time he was twenty-one he gave all his wages to his father, reserving only sufficient to clothe himself in the plainest manner. In the spring of 1853 the five brothers were in council together and agreed that one of their number should "go West", and look up, and secure homes for themselves and families. This lot fell to Edson.
Charlotte Iowa City

North Liberty, IA

#30 Apr 29, 2012
History of Edson Gaylord(cont.)

He went first to Bristol, Wis., where he had cousins; looked over the Southern part of Wisconsin and the Northern part of Illinois, down as far as Quincy; then came into Iowa, and from here went to Minnesota; then back to Bristol, where he worked through the harvest; then started once more, and, finally, after coming to Rock Grove for the third time, was fully convinced that it was the most lovely spot, and possessed more natural advantages than any other he had seen in all his rambles. On Oct. 21, 1853, he cut the first tree, to clear up the site for his future home on the northwest quarter of section 17. He completely finished a house 18 x 24, warm and comfortable, without using a nail. The roof was of split stakes, held in place by heavy poles. Mr. Gaylord has some peculiarities that it would be well if more possessed. He has held as his motto: "Pay as you go", owing no one, and never gave his note till after he was forty-five, and then on conditions. Never gave written security to any one. In religion he is eclectic; in politics is independent; always subscribes liberally to all church and public enterprises, especially such as pertain to the cause of education. He cut the first tree for a schoolhouse in Floyd County, getting up in the middle of the night to do it. Mr. Gaylord is a man of more than ordinary ability, as his work has shown. He cut out and made the first pioneer road through Rock Grove; burned the first lime in a regular kiln. He made and supplied almost the entire country with lime and brick for many years, having for this business over forty-five acres of very heavy timber, averaging to handle the wood three times with his hands. He deeded most of the land where Nora Springs now stands from the Government. He built one of the most substantial houses in Northern Iowa, using for the purpose 100,000 brick and 500 bushels of lime; has dealt with many, but lawed with none, always exemplifying his fixed convictions, that every person should secure their own needs by honest toil.

He was for some years a correspondent for the New York Tribune. Has written many valuable papers on the apple-tree question in the Northwest, which have been republished and highly complimented by leading horticulturalists of the Northwest. He never aspired to any public office which he did not secure by heavy majorities. He has been Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the Board of Township Trustees, and Chairman of the City School Board several years each. Is now a member of the two latter, and also Marshal and Street Commissioner. He was married July 22, 1862, to Helen M. Lamb, of Wayne, Dupage County, Illinois, of Scotch parentage. Their first born was a son - Wallace E., born July 22, 1863; the second, a daughter, Myrta J., born July 22, 1865, died March 1, 1869; the third, a daughter, Vienna, born Jan. 27, 1871.
Charlotte Iowa City

North Liberty, IA

#31 Apr 29, 2012
The Mansion
Edson was an extremely hard working, honest man that didnít believe in borrowing money. If you donít have the cash, donít buy it. Itís too bad more people today donít understand the importance of this statement! Today, the Mansion has been cleared out and boarded up to keep ALL of the people out. Hoping everyone would enjoy the Mansion from the road. Unfortunately, people continue to trespass and damage the old house due to the ridiculous stories told by those with nothing better to do.

Edson Gaylord and his wife had a son and two daughters, none ever married. Both Edson and is wife died of old age and are buried in the Rock Grove Cemetery just outside of town, as are their children. One daughter died when very young and the other two children lived in the house until they too died of old age.

Once the Gaylordís passed, the house was sold. A woman bought and lived in the Mansion for approximately 10 years. After that, a couple bought the house and it sat empty for over 40 years and the Mansion fell into disrepair. Then in 2003 it was sold again. The property was cleaned up and the structures have been tried to be kept from future damage. However, this is difficult due to those that continue to want to tell stories of hauntings and damage the old beauty more.
Brooo

Des Moines, IA

#32 Jun 11, 2012
Ok this is what supposedly happened, back in the 1920's or 30's Gaylord killed his 3 kids then stuffed their bodies in the wall of his house, otherwise known as Gaylord's mansion. After he killed them, he went to the bridge and hung himself, which is ironically also where slaves used to be hung I guess. It's all skeptisism and rumors. Wether they are true or not is for you to decide. I just recommend being careful inside the house if you do go in, the house is very old and I've heard stories of people falling through the floor to the basement.
Random People

United States

#33 Jun 12, 2012
Just went to the bridge about 11:30 tonight, went under it, turned the car off and honked. It was pretty scary for th fact it was pitch dark, we didn't see anybody tho. We then went to the Gaylord Mansion, 3 of us went it, 2 stayed in the car. The mansion is in rough shape, graffiti all over the walls, floor is starting to fall in. We heard some pretty weird stuff and a quiet scream that sounded like a young boy once inside, but we didn't hear the piano. I recommend going to both if you like being scared, it was a good time.
bucky

Mason City, IA

#34 Oct 31, 2012
Its all b.s. no ghost not anything I've lived in n.s.for years. And for the damage that had been done the real evil one is you
bucky

Mason City, IA

#35 Oct 31, 2012
Be careful old lady Anderson. Nerved finds .
Helena Godden

Lincoln, NE

#36 Jul 8, 2013
I have lived in Nora Springs my entire life and no,Nora is not haunted. My grandmother still remembers the last occupant of Gaylord's mansion clearly. Check out the Rock Grove cemetary...
Helena Godden

Lincoln, NE

#37 Jul 8, 2013
Sweet. We just checked out the Gaylord headstones at Rock Grove cemetery three hours ago...
Helena Godden

Lincoln, NE

#38 Jul 8, 2013
My grandmother tells me stories about her. She remembers her like it was yesterday. I live hearing the elders tell me their memories.
Kathleen Stump Cochran

Atlanta, GA

#39 Sep 9, 2013
This is a note from my family history about Grandma Gaylord: "The five antique chairs and dresser belonged to an old lady who lived in Nora Springs, Iowa, and who everyone called "Grandma Gaylord." When Dad (Theodore Doll of NYC--1894-1988) was seven years old, he used to read the Bible to Grandma Gaylord, who was nearly ninety (about 1901).

Before the Civil War, when Grandma Gaylord was a young, married woman, she and her husband set out from Canada by covered wagon, bringing the furniture with them, and it is said that Grandma Gaylord carried the mirror to the dresser on her lap to keep in from being broken on the rough trail. They settled in Nora Springs, Iosa, and built the first house there--a log cabin.

After Grandma Gaylord died, her grandson (Mr. Dey Reed of Nora Springs) gave the five chairs and the dresser to Grandmother Doll."

If you can tell me any more about Grandma Gaylord, I would love to know. I have no idea why my great-grandmother, Caroline Braun Doll, recently widowed, moved from NYC to Nora Springs with her 2-year-old son. I still have one chair and use it. I love knowing its history!
Shane

Grand Rapids, MI

#40 Sep 17, 2013
I've been there a couple times 17 years ago or so. Actually got a little play from some
Chick in a upstairs bedroom. It was defiantly creepy. But didn't see or hear anything crazy.
Caleb

United States

#41 Nov 7, 2013
It's pretty creepy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kensett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Virgil 'Bud' Sullivan (Jan '08) Apr '15 Mark L 4
News Ruth E. Kuczor (Dec '08) Dec '08 Steve Uline 1

Kensett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kensett Mortgages