1979-1984 murder case in kenova,wv

Posted in the Kenova Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 2, 2009
Anyone remember a murder that occured in the neighboring town of huntington wv,(Kenova,wv)

I'm not sure exactly what year but it had to have been between the years of 1979-1984 as I was in Jr high when the murders occured

The murder happened on the main drag in Kenova wv ( rt60) a few blocks from drive thru store. called the midget. and close to Dreamland Pool.

There were several people in the house that were murderd. all of them died except for one child who the murderer never saw because she hide under a mattress or something like that. I think that there may have been a total of 4 or 6 people in the house at the time murder took place

I am thinking some of the victims last names were Hill and i do know for sure that the one of the female victims name was Stella Booth. there were also a coulple of children also.
They actually gt the guy who did the murder and he was found quilty. and sent to prison.

I am curious about the case cause kenova,wv is my home town and talked about today.

Mrs.Mikey
Tricia

Lexington, KY

#2 Jan 4, 2009
I am 34 years old and Kenova is my hometown too.. I am going to talk to my mom and dad and see if they remember anything about that.. I lived on Chestnut St. Not too far from where you are talking about... I don't remember anything about it but I would only of been 5 to 10 yrs old.
Katie

Montgomery, WV

#3 Jan 7, 2009
I remember when that happened.
Tricia

Nicholasville, KY

#4 Jan 8, 2009
I talked to my Mom and Dad and they remember it but do not remember any details or names... Seems like they would with it being such a small town and all... Maybe my mamaw would remember it... or other family members... Sounds creepy and sad..
SHELLEY

Charleston, WV

#5 Jan 8, 2009
MrsMikey wrote:
Anyone remember a murder that occured in the neighboring town of huntington wv,(Kenova,wv)
I'm not sure exactly what year but it had to have been between the years of 1979-1984 as I was in Jr high when the murders occured
The murder happened on the main drag in Kenova wv ( rt60) a few blocks from drive thru store. called the midget. and close to Dreamland Pool.
There were several people in the house that were murderd. all of them died except for one child who the murderer never saw because she hide under a mattress or something like that. I think that there may have been a total of 4 or 6 people in the house at the time murder took place
I am thinking some of the victims last names were Hill and i do know for sure that the one of the female victims name was Stella Booth. there were also a coulple of children also.
They actually gt the guy who did the murder and he was found quilty. and sent to prison.
I am curious about the case cause kenova,wv is my home town and talked about today.
Mrs.Mikey
I think this occured closer to the Wayne area. The little girl hid under the bed or something. I am going to ask my uncle and find out.
Me in Kenova

East Springfield, OH

#6 Jan 26, 2009
Yes it happened in kenova, the building was rite around where the Motorcycle repair and jj auto is. they tore the building down after that happened.

the one that survived was a little boy. He is still in this area, actually saw him less than 6 months ago.

i dont remeber the details, i think there were 3 killed and it was an x that did it. they were blunged and stabbed to death.

i remeber riding by the place after it happened on the school bus and it always freaked me.
Froggy in Huntington

Kenova, WV

#7 Jan 26, 2009
Yes I remember it quiet well. It was in 1979. I was pregnant with my first son. There was several people killed. One was the mother of a handicap child I had in school. There were about 7 people killed. The house is no longer standing. The man who did it was dating one of the women that was murdered. They had split up and he killed all but 2 boys in the house.
Brittany

Princeton, WV

#8 Jan 26, 2009
Hey
use to live close there but I don't live there no more I use to live on beechst Kenova wv.That is crazy stuff ur talking about I never heard anything about that when I lived there that sounds scary.I want to know more about that
kenova native

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 27, 2009
the murder occurred after the murderer met the victim at a local bar. He ended up going to her place and killing the residents. It did happen in Kenova. He ended up caught and sent to prison. No chances of parole, should still be in unless he is dead. Sorry I dont know the names.
amazed

United States

#10 Feb 5, 2009
I am 42 yrs old and I also grew up in Kenova. I never heard anything about that. Maybe I was sheltered from it...who knows. I will ask my mom and dad and see if I can find out anything.

“Merry Meet”

Since: Feb 09

Huntington

#11 Feb 6, 2009
Go to the Herald Dispatch and research it, that way you can get the facts.
Mabel

Huntington, WV

#12 Feb 8, 2009
I remember the murders and remember the house. The house was torn down some years ago, but it was originally located on Rt 60 west about a block before you get to Midgets carry-out. A little boy hid behind a chair while the murders were happening. I'll never forget it.
lee

Conneaut Lake, PA

#13 Feb 22, 2009
I was in high school when it happened, If I am not mistaking it was in aug around 7am I had band practice around 10am I was going to my grandmothers when I saw all the police, I knew one of the victims stella and their was a women they called tink and I had heard she was with child when she was killed , rumor at the time was told that the guy even took a bath before he left the house only two survived and I thought it was a boy and a girl ,one of them played dead the other hid under a matteress , the story was in a magazine I think it was called detectives that was popular at that time.the man that murdered them he was after his girlfriend that stayed or lived in the house and she wasnt their at the time and her last name I think was hill
Terry

Sullivan, OH

#14 Mar 12, 2009
MrsMikey wrote:
Mrs.Mikey
I was there. Three kids and a baby sitter. 1979 Murders name David Wesley Watson
Killed: Stella Booth 13 Tinker Burton 24, Johnny Wilcox 11 and his sister Sara ( I think ). Boy left alive was David Booth age 5.
lee

Conneaut Lake, PA

#15 Mar 14, 2009
Terry wrote:
<quoted text> I was there. Three kids and a baby sitter. 1979 Murders name David Wesley Watson
Killed: Stella Booth 13 Tinker Burton 24, Johnny Wilcox 11 and his sister Sara ( I think ). Boy left alive was David Booth age 5.
thank you for the info , have you seen david booth since the murders I always wondered how he was doing ,I havent forgotten this has layed on my heart for years
mommaof5

Catlettsburg, KY

#16 Mar 24, 2009
MrsMikey wrote:
Mrs.Mikey
I was young when this happened, but this girl was nicknamed Tinker Bell. She broke up with the guy that done this. he came back to see her and there were a few friends there and they were partying. The x boyfriend became filled with jealous rage and started brutally killing them all. The only one to survive was a young child that I believe hid in a cedar chest that you put at the bottom of your bed to store items in. This was a sad thing for the families and community. These people were young.
theresa

Hadley, PA

#17 Apr 3, 2009
Brittany wrote:
Hey
use to live close there but I don't live there no more I use to live on beechst Kenova wv.That is crazy stuff ur talking about I never heard anything about that when I lived there that sounds scary.I want to know more about that
i went to school with one that got killed there her name is stella booth,the one woman they called her tinker i think.wasnt the man that did it named watson?
Still in Kenova

Kenova, WV

#18 Apr 9, 2009
The 3 murdered were Christy Wilcox,Stella Booth and Tink ...dont know her last name( I didnt know her). Tinks daughter was a little girl and the boy was Stella's younger brother Bobby that survived. I went to school with Christy,Stella and Bobby and knew them well. It was in the summer and I remember not sleeping for days after this because I had known them all my life. It happened on Oak Street (Rt 60) in Kenova. They tore the house down many years. And yes the murder was in a detectives Mag. I have seen it on Ebay for sale a couple of times.
Terry C

Sullivan, OH

#19 Apr 26, 2009
MrsMikey wrote:
Mrs.Mikey
1979 Victims Johnny and Sarah Wilcox, Stella and Tinker Burton. The small boy was David Burton who was asleep in the bed with Tinker and was left untouched by the murderer David Wesley Watson. I still have nightmares from the day I picked the bodies up as an EMT for the City of Kenova.
John

United States

#20 Apr 29, 2009
I remember this as well. I was young around 7 years old. You can go to www.wvdoc.com and search for David Watson under the offender search. 2 counts of first degree murder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenova Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kenova Burger King (Mar '09) 7 hr Amy 106
SVHS High School Basketball (Aug '12) Fri -Zaphod- 35
Spring Valley coaches need fired Fri steff woo 40
speed trap alert Fri 7Points 9
jamestown apartments (May '12) Fri bouncing barbie 190
Matt Hutchinson Fri out on bail 5
Hollywood Motel Fri -Zaphod- 6
Kenova Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web