Ima and Ura Hogg myth explained

Ima and Ura Hogg myth explained

Posted in the Kennett Forum

Suey suey

O Fallon, MO

#1 May 8, 2008
Contrary to popular belief, Ima did not have a sister named Ura. Texas legend insists that when Jim Hogg ran for re-election as Texas governor in 1892 he often travelled with Ima and a friend of hers and introduced them as his daughters Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg maintained throughout her life that this never happened. She was frequently forced to dispel the myth; hundreds of people wrote her letters inquiring whether her name was real and if she really had a sister named Ura.The Kansas City Star even invented another sister, Hoosa.

In the early 1930s, Hogg worked on a collection of her father's papers and speeches with his biographer, historian Robert C. Cotner; she became a guardian of his place in history, often writing to clarify or refute articles published about her father. According to Bernhard, "the very fact that Ima had been burdened with a name that made a lifetime of explanations necessary also made her anxious to defend her father from all detractors. By doing so, she defended herself as well, and she did so with considerable skill and unfailing politeness."

Ima Hogg has been the source of "unfortunate name" or "worst baby name" jokes, lists, and contests, including the incorrect lore that Jim Hogg had named his two daughters "Ima Hogg" and "Ura Hogg". Similar unfortunate baby names according to United States Census records include Ima Pigg, Ima Muskrat, Ima Nut, Ima Hooker,[15] Ima Weiner, Ima Reck, Ima Pain and Ima Butt.
MY TWO CENTS

United States

#2 May 8, 2008
There use to be an Ima and Ura Pigg in Poplar Bluff (husband and wife).
Suey suey wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, Ima did not have a sister named Ura. Texas legend insists that when Jim Hogg ran for re-election as Texas governor in 1892 he often travelled with Ima and a friend of hers and introduced them as his daughters Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg maintained throughout her life that this never happened. She was frequently forced to dispel the myth; hundreds of people wrote her letters inquiring whether her name was real and if she really had a sister named Ura.The Kansas City Star even invented another sister, Hoosa.
In the early 1930s, Hogg worked on a collection of her father's papers and speeches with his biographer, historian Robert C. Cotner; she became a guardian of his place in history, often writing to clarify or refute articles published about her father. According to Bernhard, "the very fact that Ima had been burdened with a name that made a lifetime of explanations necessary also made her anxious to defend her father from all detractors. By doing so, she defended herself as well, and she did so with considerable skill and unfailing politeness."
Ima Hogg has been the source of "unfortunate name" or "worst baby name" jokes, lists, and contests, including the incorrect lore that Jim Hogg had named his two daughters "Ima Hogg" and "Ura Hogg". Similar unfortunate baby names according to United States Census records include Ima Pigg, Ima Muskrat, Ima Nut, Ima Hooker,[15] Ima Weiner, Ima Reck, Ima Pain and Ima Butt.
1 2 skip a few 99 100

Flower Mound, TX

#3 May 24, 2011
I think that her father wasn't thinking when naming his daughters.
Jerry Springer

Park Hills, MO

#4 May 24, 2011
The Poplar Bluff Pigg's ran a store or something.

Probably a butcher shop..jk....but they did have some kind of business.
Suzannah

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jan 30, 2012
1 2 skip a few 99 100 wrote:
I think that her father wasn't thinking when naming his daughters.
He had one daughter, Ima, the rest were males.

The family made their money on oil found on their plantations.
Hildarock

United States

#6 May 17, 2012
I'm A Hogg! is just what her father named her to show everybody the family name..well documented, and I don't think it bothered her AT ALL!.
Nicole Newsom

Baytown, TX

#7 Nov 15, 2012
No matter what her name, she was an amazing woman. I wish I could have known her.

Since: Nov 12

Bexar, AR

#8 Nov 19, 2012
Im coming to get that booty hole.
Ed Ellis

West Jefferson, NC

#9 Dec 18, 2012
I have information for the uninformed. I met "Miss Ima" in Houston Texas in 1973. I was honored to be invited to her home as a representative of the YMCA of Houston to receive a contribution to the Y. Her uncle, Thomas Hogg, brother of her father Gov. James Hogg, was the author of an epic poem of the Civil War, "The Fate of Marvin", published in 1871. As Marvin reflected on the war and his absense from his love Imogene back home, he often refers to her as "my Ima". Governor Hogg named his only daughter Ima in memory of and respect for his brother and his publication. She gave me a copy of "The Fate of Marvin" and signed it for me in tribute to her uncle and to the YMCA. She was 91, sharp as a tack and she died two years later, 1975 with an unmatched legacy of philanthropy in Texas and the world.
Ed Ellis

West Jefferson, NC

#10 Dec 18, 2012
The publication date was 1873, not 1871 and is available in reprint from Abebooks.com
Bryan Rogers -Direct Desc

Savannah, GA

#11 May 9, 2013
I hate to challenge the norm here: but as a descendant of the Hogg family on my mother's side. According to our family heirlooms and records, Ura was real, but died in infancy.
YahButt

Lisle, IL

#12 Nov 11, 2014
Ed Ellis wrote:
I have information for the uninformed. I met "Miss Ima" in Houston Texas in 1973. I was honored to be invited to her home as a representative of the YMCA of Houston to receive a contribution to the Y. Her uncle, Thomas Hogg, brother of her father Gov. James Hogg, was the author of an epic poem of the Civil War, "The Fate of Marvin", published in 1871. As Marvin reflected on the war and his absense from his love Imogene back home, he often refers to her as "my Ima". Governor Hogg named his only daughter Ima in memory of and respect for his brother and his publication. She gave me a copy of "The Fate of Marvin" and signed it for me in tribute to her uncle and to the YMCA. She was 91, sharp as a tack and she died two years later, 1975 with an unmatched legacy of philanthropy in Texas and the world.
Nice history. But it doesn't change that her name was still Ima Hogg. If it hadn't been, I doubt we'd every heard of her. And to her dad, "Think!" It may have made him feel good but probably not so much his daughter. I'm a hog... lol
ImaREALhogg

Youngsville, NC

#13 Aug 19, 2016
Bryan Rogers -Direct Desc wrote:
I hate to challenge the norm here: but as a descendant of the Hogg family on my mother's side. According to our family heirlooms and records, Ura was real, but died in infancy.
As a Hogg, and a family researcher - you are absolutely wrong. There WAS Ura Hogg, but not a member of Ima's family - and was male.
Janblue

Houston, TX

#14 Oct 6, 2016
Bryan Rogers -Direct Desc wrote:
I hate to challenge the norm here: but as a descendant of the Hogg family on my mother's side. According to our family heirlooms and records, Ura was real, but died in infancy.
My mother worked in a bank in Downtown Houston in the 50's and she said Ura was real and even had her own bank account. I am not saying she ever saw her, but she swears she had a bank account at the bank my mother used to work at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chelsea Pender 40 min yaboi 3
there no money for poor man in kennett 7 hr Hard 13
Black man that rides a bike and wears a weird hat 10 hr Brittany 6
Music and dancing 11 hr guest 2
Foolish excuses 14 hr AngelOfDarkness 2
Turn to the Lord today! 15 hr AngelOfDarkness 2
Prayer for today 15 hr LoneVulture 2

Kennett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kennett Mortgages