The Wives of Nucor Employees

Posted in the Kennett Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Feb 7, 2008
My husband has just been hired on as a permanent employee of Nucor. He had be contracted to Nucor from Schueck for the past 7 months. My problem is that I miss my husband. How do you guys handle this?

Please keep in mind that cheating and things of that nature will be completely out of the question!
Mr Do you right

Covington, GA

#2 Feb 8, 2008
Mother of 4 wrote:
My husband has just been hired on as a permanent employee of Nucor. He had be contracted to Nucor from Schueck for the past 7 months. My problem is that I miss my husband. How do you guys handle this?
Please keep in mind that cheating and things of that nature will be completely out of the question!
Honey, I take care of two other Nucor wives. I guess I can add one more if your not too needy. Which shift is your hubby on so it doesn't conflict with the other two? Dont feel bad, most of the other Nucor wives do it too. Let me know and I will post my email.
Coming Through

Katy, TX

#3 Feb 8, 2008
Mother of 4 wrote:
Be thankful that your husband was fortunate enough to endure the hiring process and actually succeed. I am sure he is enjoying a great sense of accomplishment at this time. You handle it by concentrating on raising your 4 children and relish in the satisfaction that when you can schedule some alone time, you will hopefully be able to afford some good, quality time with each other. Believe it or not, this is actually a man giving you this advice......Thought you might want to hear from the other side of the fence. One more piece of advice: If you are ever having conflicts, please don't ever seek advice from any single friends you may have!! Would you see a mechanic for a health problem?!?! I know someone who never took this advice and yes, she is in the process of becoming single.

Florissant, MO

#4 Feb 8, 2008
Thank you, your advice is helpful. My main problem is that I am used to having him around, and now that he's either working or sleeping the majority of the time, I sometimes feel like I am raising our children alone. He does as much as he can, but he has to sleep to be able to work 12 hours a day, so he can't be in the middle of us all the time. I am in no way mad at him for this, I do understand he works hard. I even miss having an adult conversation! Talking to your kids is great but just not the same.
MEEEEE

Kennett, MO

#5 Feb 8, 2008
Mother of 4 wrote:
Cheating is not out of the question...U say that now but wait til u get lonely....then u will take back what u said.....Trust me girl been there...Money isnt everything and your marriage can fall apart over him being away all the time making u a good living.....Please dont think I am being harsh I just know.....Been there!!

G-ville

#6 Feb 8, 2008
My husband worked 4-12hrs for a long time been out there for 20 years. I work 4-12hrs now at a mill. He has went to 5 days a week and I see him less. You got to just enjoy the time you do get with him when you can. When your husband gets use to working 12's it will be a little better. I get about 5 to 6hrs asleep when I am on nite shift. I only get to see him sometimes for just 1 hour or less. He works alot of OT. It is hard sometimes but you DO learn to enjoy each other more when you can.
Listen

Kennett, MO

#7 Feb 8, 2008
MEEEEE wrote:
<quoted text>Cheating is not out of the question...U say that now but wait til u get lonely....then u will take back what u said.....Trust me girl been there...Money isnt everything and your marriage can fall apart over him being away all the time making u a good living.....Please dont think I am being harsh I just know.....Been there!!
COMMITMENT! VOWS! TRUST! IT IS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE COMMITTED! IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT YOU!

I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. MY FAMILY AND I WERE SEPARATED OFTEN; WE SPENT 20 YEARS IN THE MILITARY.

Trust me Mother of 4: I've been married 25 years. It gets better and better, when you are committed to one another, the hard times are what make marriage sweeter as time goes by. But you must go through through the hard times.
proof

Fairmont, WV

#8 Feb 8, 2008
just be thankfull yall have such a good job they are hard to get in this area.

Fairmont, WV

#9 Feb 8, 2008
You get used to it. We have been married over 10 years and have children. He has worked at Nucor over 15 years. He does get off 4 days straight and we catch up then. Luckily I do not have to work outside the home. I will agree sometimes just because he makes over 100,000.00 does not make a happy marriage it takes more than money.
Coming Through

United States

#10 Feb 8, 2008
MEEEEE wrote:
<quoted text>Cheating is not out of the question...U say that now but wait til u get lonely....then u will take back what u said.....Trust me girl been there...Money isnt everything and your marriage can fall apart over him being away all the time making u a good living.....Please dont think I am being harsh I just know.....Been there!!
"Mother Of 4", Listen to me very carefully: The above quote is a primary example of the kind of advice I was talking about. You have already stated that this was not an option and yet, it didn't take long for a woman, who is probably single, to throw her two cents in. This particular individual probably did nothing with her free time but watch soap operas and consult with her single friends. The man involved was probably being man-bashed (talked down about) in the very home he was so busy trying to support. It's a shame, but so often true. I am currently speaking from experience. If you have faith, you must pray not to let this kind of influence in your life.

Florissant, MO

#11 Feb 8, 2008
I am glad to see there are so many of you trying to help. It makes me feel like I am not alone.

You are lucky, my husband works 4 on and 2 off.
did ya know

Enid, OK

#12 Feb 8, 2008
he works four days a week not 6 or 7. then he is off 4 days.. it is like he gets a vacation most men work 6 and 7 days a week. the 4 days he is off spend time with him then.. 4 days is nothing.
my husband has been at nucor for 16 yrs. i am use to it. enjoy your time..
Pebbles

United States

#13 Feb 8, 2008
guest wrote:
You get used to it. We have been married over 10 years and have children. He has worked at Nucor over 15 years. He does get off 4 days straight and we catch up then. Luckily I do not have to work outside the home. I will agree sometimes just because he makes over 100,000.00 does not make a happy marriage it takes more than money.
Did anyone ask you
how much he made oh my people like you so silly
hell my husband works at Nucor too but you don't see me posting how much he makes and really that
was not the issue at hand so get a life.

Florissant, MO

#14 Feb 8, 2008
My husbands schedule is set at 4 on and 2 off because of the department he works in. So needless to say, he's not home much at all.
employee

Fairmont, WV

#15 Feb 8, 2008
Pebbles wrote:
<quoted text>Did anyone ask you
how much he made oh my people like you so silly
hell my husband works at Nucor too but you don't see me posting how much he makes and really that
was not the issue at hand so get a life.
Guest might have posted her husbands income but bitch I bet you spend it too. I make about 80,000. And mother of 4 will soon learn that the time away from her husband will be well spent with our hard earned money. She will love the money just like all our wives. Bet your husband loves going to work to get away from you. I know I would.

Florissant, MO

#17 Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, you're right to some extent. It's nice not to have to worry about anything, like insurance for our FOUR kids, and feeding our FOUR kids, and clothing our FOUR kids, and having decent vehichles (not new) so that our FOUR kids won't get too hot or too cold. If you haven't noticed, we have FOUR kids. After all that, there is some left, but not enough to be able to blow it all. We have to plan for the futures of FOUR kids also. Not to mention, every major purchase I make goes thru my husband first. That in our household means anything over $20. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought 2 outfits (for 2 of the kids) for $12. So as you can see, I'm not blowing my husbands hard earned money, which by the way he considers our money because he doesn't want me to work anymore. Besides when you have FOUR kids you have no business blowing money. Not all of us are gold diggers or what ever you want to call us. Doesn't sound like to me you are very happy in your own marraige or you wouldn't be talking about your wife that way!
MJW

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 8, 2008
Mother of 4 wrote:
Thank you, your advice is helpful. My main problem is that I am used to having him around, and now that he's either working or sleeping the majority of the time, I sometimes feel like I am raising our children alone. He does as much as he can, but he has to sleep to be able to work 12 hours a day, so he can't be in the middle of us all the time. I am in no way mad at him for this, I do understand he works hard. I even miss having an adult conversation! Talking to your kids is great but just not the same.
I would just like to give a little advice. Enjoy the time you do have together and be glad you have a husband that is willing to sacrifice his time with you and your children to work and support you all. You do see him, asleep or awake every day?? Well, my husband had to go to driving a truck for Emerson due to the plant closing here. No one wants a 50+ year old man. So he had to start driving for Emerson to make a decent living for us. He is gone on the average from Sunday evening to Friday noon. There have been several weekends, for instance last weekend he got home at noon on Saturday and left out Monday morning at 2. When he got home Saturday, he slept till 4. So, needless to say we had a very short weekend. I dont get to see him every day asleep or awake. He is out on the highways from here to almost Mexico to Minnesota to New Jersey and once to California. He drives in rain, sleet, snow. Mountains and flatlands. Not to mention all the crazy drivers out there. He has to try to sleep with the truck moving all the time. My point is, cherish the time with your husband and be very proud of him. You are evidently a very good mother or he would not trust you to leave you there to watch over them. Your kids will be grown before you know it, so enjoy all your time with them. My husband would quit today if there was a job out there that would pay better than minimum wage. Continue to stay faithful and God will bless you both.
wondering

Katy, TX

#19 Feb 8, 2008
86 windsors wife wrote:
My husband worked 4-12hrs for a long time been out there for 20 years. I work 4-12hrs now at a mill. He has went to 5 days a week and I see him less. You got to just enjoy the time you do get with him when you can. When your husband gets use to working 12's it will be a little better. I get about 5 to 6hrs asleep when I am on nite shift. I only get to see him sometimes for just 1 hour or less. He works alot of OT. It is hard sometimes but you DO learn to enjoy each other more when you can.
you tell em T, wish i would've found something to do with my time while bub was on the boat--i thought i was lonely when he was gone...not half as lonely as I am NOW without him!!
RHONDA WOOTEN

United States

#20 Feb 8, 2008
Mother of 4 wrote:
Yeah, you're right to some extent. It's nice not to have to worry about anything, like insurance for our FOUR kids, and feeding our FOUR kids, and clothing our FOUR kids, and having decent vehichles (not new) so that our FOUR kids won't get too hot or too cold. If you haven't noticed, we have FOUR kids. After all that, there is some left, but not enough to be able to blow it all. We have to plan for the futures of FOUR kids also. Not to mention, every major purchase I make goes thru my husband first. That in our household means anything over $20. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought 2 outfits (for 2 of the kids) for $12. So as you can see, I'm not blowing my husbands hard earned money, which by the way he considers our money because he doesn't want me to work anymore. Besides when you have FOUR kids you have no business blowing money. Not all of us are gold diggers or what ever you want to call us. Doesn't sound like to me you are very happy in your own marraige or you wouldn't be talking about your wife that way!
Mam-Don't pay attention to negative things, you will be more enriched by the positive. It is a shame that we all have to work the way we do to support our family. I have always had two jobs, as well as my husband. We don't have to work both of these to eat, but however we do work them for the extras that we purchase for our children. Everything from health care to vehicle ins., homeowners, etc. is so expensive. I think it's great you get to stay home, however I do understand that you miss your husband and feel like a single parent. Just remember to enjoy the time you and the kids get to spend with him. If you make his lunch, try putting a note in the bottom of it sometimes. This will let him know you appreciate all the sacrifices that you BOTH make to support your family. You may not receive a paycheck each week, but I guarantee you work. Being a stay at home parent is sometimes harder than working a 8 hour shift. I wish you and the family all the best as you try to "get settled" in a new routine.

Florissant, MO

#21 Feb 8, 2008
MJW your point was well made. I guess I am lucky in some respects. He does trust me, with everything. I do cherish the time I have with him. I love him so much. I worry about him at work too, cause the whole place is dangerous. I feel so lucky to have him, it's almost like he's too good to be true. I try every day not to take our time together for granted, because you never know when that time can end. Our children worship the ground he walks on, and I am constanly answering the question "When will Daddy be home?" I don't know, to me it almost isn't worth all the money. We were happy when we were poor too, and when I say poor, I mean living off of $250 a week. I loved he just as much then as I do now, and I seen him a hell of a lot more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is this murder real? (Aug '13) 3 hr The Chosen One 31
Missing Dog in Kennett! Please Help! 4 hr hlw359 2
Dakota walmart 5 hr Someone 8
403 maple 5 hr Carolyn 14
Why do Republicans 6 hr changeyhope 8
curious 6 hr kennettgirl13 51
Bayird and 106.5 FM 6 hr guest2 2
More from around the web

Kennett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE