Bands and singers of the 60's from Ke...

Bands and singers of the 60's from Kennett and area

Posted in the Kennett Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Old Timer

United States

#1 Feb 13, 2009
Anybody remember some of the old bands around Kennett from the 60's. Jerry Jay from, I think, Paragould or Jonesboro. Billy Swan from Cape Girardeau. Dennis Rudkin and Roland Terry Band. How about Don Jackson from Kennett, he was a very exciting singer. I wonder if he is still around. He was good enough to get a recording contract. I wonder if he did.

Anybody know of any of these people or other good bands or singers from that time.
old enuf

United States

#2 Feb 13, 2009
Patches comes to mind.
Another old timer

Maryland Heights, MO

#3 Feb 17, 2009
I remember the Rudkin and Terry band, they played at the Old El Morocco Club in Gideon in the 60's. They weren't great, but they drew a crowd and everyone had a lot of fun and after all that is what counts.
From Cape

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2009
Billy Swan is still in the recording business as a writer and producer. I never heard of a singer named Don Jackson. Probably most people who dates back to the 60's never read Topix.

United States

#6 Mar 8, 2009
Were Alan Boyd and his brother playing yet in the 60's?
DW in KenMo

United States

#7 Mar 8, 2009
guest wrote:
Were Alan Boyd and his brother playing yet in the 60's?
Yes, Gangrene and Beatle were playing in the late 60's. They were in several bands that seemed to change musicians and names: The Victors, Nobody Else, etc.

Don Jackson has a son that is a phenomenal musician named Matt Jackson. He is a really fine bass guitar player in the band Jaded.
jody

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Mar 8, 2009
does anyone remember don akers?
Speedy Gonzalas

Fairmont, WV

#10 Mar 9, 2009
When did Dennis James start playing?
DW in KenMo

United States

#11 Mar 9, 2009
jody wrote:
does anyone remember don akers?
Don plays around the Lake of the Ozarks. Weekends are at a place called The Brass Door. He and his wife Suzie sing there, I think he does solo jobs at the other places he plays.
big john

Fairmont, WV

#12 Mar 9, 2009
Scanner Listener wrote:
Was Terry Ray Bradley playing yet in the 60's
he is still playing in the 60s
Retired in

United States

#13 Jul 15, 2009
DW in KenMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Gangrene and Beatle were playing in the late 60's. They were in several bands that seemed to change musicians and names: The Victors, Nobody Else, etc.
Don Jackson has a son that is a phenomenal musician named Matt Jackson. He is a really fine bass guitar player in the band Jaded.
I'm like the old timer, Don Jackson was a good singer. I lived in Kennett back in the 60's, but I left to make a living, and never got back much. I wonder whatever happened to him. Did he make any records, get his own band, or did he just sing in someone else's band? It doesn't surprise me that he would have a son with music talent. I didn't know him personally, but I know one thing, he sure had some beautiful girlfriends back then.
Kennett Alum

Chesapeake, VA

#14 Jul 15, 2009
How about Mark "Bugsy" Carroll and the original Victors from about 64-67. Anyone remember the other members of the Victors in those days?
bbsage

Kennett, MO

#15 Jul 15, 2009
Kennett Alum wrote:
How about Mark "Bugsy" Carroll and the original Victors from about 64-67. Anyone remember the other members of the Victors in those days?
Dilly (I hope) I'm gonna try this again, if pops up twice diregard. I can name the Victors, Night Raiders. a couple of guys from a band in Paragould. I feel like Archie Bunker "those were the days". It's good to see you check in and if it is who I think it is you need to sign up on Facebook if you haven,t. Chub is on there and so is Goose, plus some others you might like to see what's going on in their life.
Remembering

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Jul 15, 2009
Doctor Dave & the Interns from Senath. Victors, Mark, Gary, Alan, Bruce & Gangegreen. Hambone was always around.
Mexican Culture

Tullahoma, TN

#17 Jul 15, 2009
Bootheel keyboard cat, Mike Lawler, who played with everybody from Porter Wagoner to James Brown (yes...toured and played on James Brown records!) is still doing sessions in Nashville as both a producer and a musician. Also worked in A&R at Mercury Records/Nashville in the 90's.

Bobby Neal...became a Memphis A-team session guitar player and had a career with Ricky Nelson and lost his life with Ricky in the tragic plane crash.
Kennett Alum

Norfolk, VA

#18 Jul 18, 2009
Hey BBSage

I am out there on Facebook. I talk to ole Chub all the time.

Dilly
Reileigh Danielle

Daleville, AL

#19 Jul 18, 2009
where is Dennis James these days?gosh could he ever sing and play,I really miss those days and the music.
Reileigh Danielle

Daleville, AL

#21 Jul 19, 2009
hope his health issues are improved,no matter what has taken away his will, i'm sure he is still the same Dennis i knew back when,and i'm sure he can still sing and play as good as ever.hang in there Dennis,never give up!--A long time fan.
Travis

Bullhead City, AZ

#22 Jul 19, 2009
What ever happened to that group of girls (not sure if they were a band) from Bragg City, I think? They even made it to the Ed Sullivan show one time. I remember they were quite good, chopped cotton with them couple times in the 1950s, they would sing and entertain all of us hands, sure made the day go by more pleasantly.
Ray

Hinesville, GA

#23 Jul 19, 2009
Jerry Jay who real name was Gerald Hatley lives in Mississippi and owns a club. He use to play the old Bootheel Club and worked in MOnette as a DJ.
Also there was a guitar player names Roger Benfield that could play pretty good from Kennett.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Praying is illogical 11 min Yashiya is King 2
all the people cant get nobody work now days 1 hr Guest 4
Trump and Russia 1 hr I love our nation 2
why dont family get along now days 4 hr Guest 5
Car detailing options? 5 hr Tommyboy 3
Louise lyell (Mar '15) 6 hr Grow up 17
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) 17 hr FARTS 1,076

Kennett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kennett Mortgages