Shut up

Kennett, MO

#22 Nov 18, 2012
OMG you guys SHUT UP!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with a preacher cheering for his kid at a game! Ya know I bet he also cheers for his favorite baseball team to win the World Series. Sue the man. Like seriously grow up! Whoever started this is stupid. Not happy with the preacher? Leave the church and find a new one. I happen to know him, go to the church, like him very well as a preacher, and I also cheer for my kids at a game. Do you not cheer for yours?
Debbie

Springfield, MO

#23 Nov 18, 2012
Shut up wrote:
OMG you guys SHUT UP!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with a preacher cheering for his kid at a game! Ya know I bet he also cheers for his favorite baseball team to win the World Series. Sue the man. Like seriously grow up! Whoever started this is stupid. Not happy with the preacher? Leave the church and find a new one. I happen to know him, go to the church, like him very well as a preacher, and I also cheer for my kids at a game. Do you not cheer for yours?
Cheering for one's children at ball games is a mistake. It suggests to the child that something worth doing is taking place when, in fact, a ball is batted, thrown, and often dropped. Ball games are distractions. Children would be better served by parents who cheer them when they score high on exams, when they accomplish their homework, and when they focus on attaining job skills.

While it is important to develop the physical body as well as the mind, this can be accomplished with using a ball and without competing against one's fellow man. Cooperation is God's way. I'm surprised that the preacher didn't know this or set the proper example.
Go ahead

Kennett, MO

#24 Nov 19, 2012
Debbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheering for one's children at ball games is a mistake. It suggests to the child that something worth doing is taking place when, in fact, a ball is batted, thrown, and often dropped. Ball games are distractions. Children would be better served by parents who cheer them when they score high on exams, when they accomplish their homework, and when they focus on attaining job skills.
While it is important to develop the physical body as well as the mind, this can be accomplished with using a ball and without competing against one's fellow man. Cooperation is God's way. I'm surprised that the preacher didn't know this or set the proper example.
You should do a little more research on how team sports are beneficial to children before speaking out against them because your personal opinion is not fact sorry. Have you ever heard the term "sheltered" because that seems to be how you would have your children raise and it is not healthy for them socially. I also can't believe people are on here crying about someone hoopin and hollerin at a ball game where that is not out of the ordinary. Then we got all the people in this forum who try and out shine each other's Bible knowledge, you all sound like a bunch of damn children. If you seriously have nothing more to complain about than this then you have an easy life, shut up and stop complaining. You people take religion way to seriously and I guarantee you all "sin". Sorry but I've got news for you folks, RELIGION IS PHONY. complain about something that matters.
Truth

Clarkton, MO

#25 Nov 19, 2012
Religons phony thus religious leaders therefore are phony. That was the point. Godly principles although are not and why this point is so debatable. Most confuse religon with godliness which are quite the opposite from one another. Religion is riddled full of worldly doctrine, social acceptance and politics. The very things that called for the crucifixtion of Christ.
Shut up

Kennett, MO

#26 Nov 19, 2012
Debbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheering for one's children at ball games is a mistake. It suggests to the child that something worth doing is taking place when, in fact, a ball is batted, thrown, and often dropped. Ball games are distractions. Children would be better served by parents who cheer them when they score high on exams, when they accomplish their homework, and when they focus on attaining job skills.
While it is important to develop the physical body as well as the mind, this can be accomplished with using a ball and without competing against one's fellow man. Cooperation is God's way. I'm surprised that the preacher didn't know this or set the proper example.
And who says the parents that cheer at ball games don't cheer their kids on when they make a high score on a test? Sports is good for children. For one, you have to keep your grades up to remain in a certain sport. For two, it helps the child make a wider variety of friends. AND for three, doing sports is MUCH better than having your children sit down in front of a computer screen and eating junk food all day.
Truth

Clarkton, MO

#27 Nov 19, 2012
Shut up wrote:
<quoted text>
And who says the parents that cheer at ball games don't cheer their kids on when they make a high score on a test? Sports is good for children. For one, you have to keep your grades up to remain in a certain sport. For two, it helps the child make a wider variety of friends. AND for three, doing sports is MUCH better than having your children sit down in front of a computer screen and eating junk food all day.
Actually you should have said specific variety not wider variety of friends. Also sports kids eat as much junk if not more when soccer mom stops at pizzahut or mickeyD's after every game. You also call it cheering yet the incident refers to the preacher interfering with another kids freethrow. I'm sure he would raise hell when they stomp during his kids freethrow. Comprehend what your reading and choose words carefully when debating the issue. This is about a higher standard of principles not just a ballgame if that isn't to deep for you. Keep your emotions in check when discussing issues. Not a godly principle. Once again having a dictionary available during discussion would benefit you but only if imagination is in check.
Seriously

Kennett, MO

#28 Nov 19, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Actually you should have said specific variety not wider variety of friends. Also sports kids eat as much junk if not more when soccer mom stops at pizzahut or mickeyD's after every game. You also call it cheering yet the incident refers to the preacher interfering with another kids freethrow. I'm sure he would raise hell when they stomp during his kids freethrow. Comprehend what your reading and choose words carefully when debating the issue. This is about a higher standard of principles not just a ballgame if that isn't to deep for you. Keep your emotions in check when discussing issues. Not a godly principle. Once again having a dictionary available during discussion would benefit you but only if imagination is in check.
Did you really just tell someone to comprehend what they are reading and you make the remark about "soccer moms going to MickeyD's after every game" there is a BIG difference between sitting in front of a computer eating McD's and eating it after a game, for one you just used thousands of calories on that game you just played, I don't like people eating fast food either but that was just an ignorant comment you made and you obviously didn't think it through yourself, or are just to ignorant to realize you burn calories playing sports.
Truth

Clarkton, MO

#29 Nov 19, 2012
Also we will leave the jury out on benefits of sports versus computer skills. Statistics will reveal more jocks don't make it and wind up hanging in bars, drug houses, bad marriages, and dead end jobs while more computer geeks go on to be successful and content in life, work, and relationships not looking back at their "GLORY DAYS" Just look at reputations.
Truth

Clarkton, MO

#30 Nov 19, 2012
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you really just tell someone to comprehend what they are reading and you make the remark about "soccer moms going to MickeyD's after every game" there is a BIG difference between sitting in front of a computer eating McD's and eating it after a game, for one you just used thousands of calories on that game you just played, I don't like people eating fast food either but that was just an ignorant comment you made and you obviously didn't think it through yourself, or are just to ignorant to realize you burn calories playing sports.
Yes, I just told them that. You assume that computer geeks are eating junk when in fact most have good parents with definite goal setting skills instilled in their children and also prepare meals instead of Mickey D's with McDonald's balanced in on occassion but not regularly. They also hunt, fish, play ball at a less competitive (obsessed) level thus burning as many calories and meeting a wider variety of people in their lives as they so elagantly stated with a stereotypical attitude. So yes indeed I did and it was thoroghly contemplated before hand. Hope I cleared that up for you. Did you think before jumping to conclussion about computer kids versus sport fanatics which in my observations most (not all) preachers kids tend to be so their parents usually with no sports skills can live vicariously through children who can't wait to get away. Before you ask I have counseled many ministers children who are forced into sports and pushed to point they resent the sports and their parents but due to parents selfish reasoning they will not discuss it with them and take enjoyment out of the game for their kids.
Debbie

Springfield, MO

#31 Nov 19, 2012
Go ahead wrote:
<quoted text>
You should do a little more research on how team sports are beneficial to children before speaking out against them because your personal opinion is not fact sorry. Have you ever heard the term "sheltered" because that seems to be how you would have your children raise and it is not healthy for them socially. I also can't believe people are on here crying about someone hoopin and hollerin at a ball game where that is not out of the ordinary. Then we got all the people in this forum who try and out shine each other's Bible knowledge, you all sound like a bunch of damn children. If you seriously have nothing more to complain about than this then you have an easy life, shut up and stop complaining. You people take religion way to seriously and I guarantee you all "sin". Sorry but I've got news for you folks, RELIGION IS PHONY. complain about something that matters.
Team sports ARE NOT beneficial for children. Team sports are about BEATING another group of people. Children graduate not knowing where the "team" begins or ends. They move into businesses where they "team" up with a small group and COMPETE (as they've learned to do) with other "teams" within their own organiztion, not recognizing the boundaries.

Before you spout off again, I'd ask that you try thinking and not simply repeating what you've been brainwashed to understand.

Grown men and women jumping and yelling about a ballgame. You joining in. You thinking it's the mature approach to life. What's wrong with you, sir?
Debbie

Springfield, MO

#32 Nov 19, 2012
Shut up wrote:
<quoted text>
And who says the parents that cheer at ball games don't cheer their kids on when they make a high score on a test? Sports is good for children. For one, you have to keep your grades up to remain in a certain sport. For two, it helps the child make a wider variety of friends. AND for three, doing sports is MUCH better than having your children sit down in front of a computer screen and eating junk food all day.
Your response is simply too full of stupidity for me to respond to.
Debbie

Springfield, MO

#33 Nov 19, 2012
1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model:
"I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:
"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.."

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say:
"I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl,"
Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:
"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings.."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh :
"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.."
(Now that is beautiful)

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:
"You guys line up alphabetically by height.."
And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison:
"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton .."

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker:
"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota:
"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice:
"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt.(I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player:
"I asked him,'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?'
He said,'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:
"Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford:
"I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious."

15. Former Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips,
Phillips responded: "Because she's too ugly to kiss good-bye."
Meme

Festus, MO

#34 Nov 19, 2012
Just because something has been done for 40 years doesnt make it okay. I say bad judgment on the part of the minister, he should cheer for his team, yell encouragement to them but not try to boo the opposing team down! That sounds rude and I agree, from an adult, especially a preacher. I've gone to ball games and got "in the moment" but not stomp and yell, and try to make the young kid trying to shoot a basket get all nervous. that's awful and school officials should not allow it, should discourage it for students, and enforce good conduct and manners. Then MAYBE the adults might take notice. My opinion and I have 3 kids of my own so i have the right to speak my mind.
southern atheist

Sikeston, MO

#35 Nov 19, 2012
Christianity is a fun religion you can say or do whatever you want justify it with your particular interpretation of scripture, and then tell others how they should and shouldn't act and base it on your interpretation.

It is kinda like making rules based on thousands of years old understanding of the world and people, then justifying it with an all-powerful undeniable Authoritarian..... Oh wait it is. ;)
Coach Swaggert

Huntsville, AL

#36 Nov 20, 2012
Debbie wrote:
<quoted text>Team sports ARE NOT beneficial for children. Team sports are about BEATING another group of people. Children graduate not knowing where the "team" begins or ends. They move into businesses where they "team" up with a small group and COMPETE (as they've learned to do) with other "teams" within their own organiztion, not recognizing the boundaries.

Before you spout off again, I'd ask that you try thinking and not simply repeating what you've been brainwashed to understand.

Grown men and women jumping and yelling about a ballgame. You joining in. You thinking it's the mature approach to life. What's wrong with you, sir?
You have a point with the "click" starting. But only a old small point. Properly balancing a kids life skills will take care of such nonsense. Have we forgotten about parents in this debate? Isn't it the parents ultimate responsibility to bring the child up as a responsible member if society?
Guest

Saint Charles, MO

#37 Nov 21, 2012
Big whoppee that its' been done for the last 40 years. Does that make it right? NO, absolutely rude behavior out of any mature adult. Yell for your team when they do something good but don't ridicule and try to "outscream" and get off focus the kid on the other team when the kid is trying to shoot baskets. Just wrong. All you church Bible preaching people is not what this is about. It's simply about bad behavior and not a one of you can say it's not!
Really

Chesterfield, MO

#38 Nov 21, 2012
People take church and all their beliefs to damn serious to the point that he cannot cheer on kids at a basketball game
Truth

Clarkton, MO

#39 Nov 21, 2012
Really wrote:
People take church and all their beliefs to damn serious to the point that he cannot cheer on kids at a basketball game
Once again for you illiterate and follow blindly people, its not about cheering his kid but the principles he has by stomping and interfering with another kid trying to shoot. Whether its a preacher or not its not the grown up or right thing to do but as a preacher its even less acceptable. The kind of people with principles like that also raise hell when someone does it to their kid.
Reverend Jack Ballinger

United States

#40 Nov 22, 2012
To Guest:

I am not a reader or follower of Topix, but someone ask me how I would feel in the same situation and pointed me to this Topix thread.

I will not comment on whether I feel your Pastor's action were inappropriate or not. However, it is clear you were offended by his actions at the ball game.

I will tell you that if you were a member of my congregation I would very much appreciate you bringing your feelings to my attention. Perhaps you could talk privately with your Pastor and advise him how you feel. My guess is that you would both come away feeling better.

God Bless you and yours on this Thanksgiving holiday. May your day be celebrated in health and happiness surrounded by loved ones.

Rev JB
Coach Swaggert

Winnsboro, SC

#41 Nov 22, 2012
Reverend Jack Ballinger wrote:
To Guest:

I am not a reader or follower of Topix, but someone ask me how I would feel in the same situation and pointed me to this Topix thread.

I will not comment on whether I feel your Pastor's action were inappropriate or not. However, it is clear you were offended by his actions at the ball game.

I will tell you that if you were a member of my congregation I would very much appreciate you bringing your feelings to my attention. Perhaps you could talk privately with your Pastor and advise him how you feel. My guess is that you would both come away feeling better.

God Bless you and yours on this Thanksgiving holiday. May your day be celebrated in health and happiness surrounded by loved ones.

Rev JB
Finally, an intelligent response on this forsaken website.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An extremely sad historical fact! 4 hr Truth 4
Prayer for today 5 hr guest 3
There is a storm coming 5 hr guest 3
Genesis 47:21-26 5 hr guest 3
Does individual species proves evolution? NO! 5 hr guest 3
Kennett Public School Classmates Who Has Past Away (Dec '07) 11 hr guest 1,175
Accident on EE 11 hr shea 7
Kennett Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kennett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kennett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kennett

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:52 am PST

NFL 6:52AM
Bolts not taking Chase Daniel lightly in bout with Chiefs
Bleacher Report 7:00 AM
San Diego Chargers vs. Kansas City Chiefs: Live San Diego Score and Analysis
Bleacher Report 8:30 AM
St. Louis Rams vs. Seattle Seahawks: Live St. Louis Score and Analysis
Bleacher Report 8:41 AM
Chargers vs. Chiefs: Live Score and Analysis for Kansas City
Yahoo! Sports 8:49 AM
Chargers missing Allen, Chiefs without Smith