First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ketchup eater

Kennett, MO

#1 Nov 7, 2012
I work a full time job and work 2 part time jobs as well where's the line for my free phone and and minutes.
free phones

Kennett, MO

#2 Nov 7, 2012
There are websites that you can sign up on if you meet the requirements. This isn't a new program. It used to be for landlines only but some wireless carriers have started doing it.

You basically have to qualify for food stamps/medicaid/etc before you can get it. It's meant to be a way for people to reach the potential employers and doctors and such. I have no doubt that it's abused but when used correctly, the program really isn't bad.

Dexter, MO

#3 Nov 7, 2012
free phones wrote:
There are websites that you can sign up on if you meet the requirements. This isn't a new program. It used to be for landlines only but some wireless carriers have started doing it.

You basically have to qualify for food stamps/medicaid/etc before you can get it. It's meant to be a way for people to reach the potential employers and doctors and such. I have no doubt that it's abused but when used correctly, the program really isn't bad.
I know people sell these phones they also get discounted Internet rates on them also no contract or anything. It's a shame.
reader

United States

#4 Nov 7, 2012
I want 2 :)
Panda

Kennett, MO

#5 Nov 7, 2012
I cringe every time I see that damn tent anywhere. "Obama phones" is what the welfare folks call em. Drove by on my way to Wally world and saw people signing up and a few were already ON their personal phone and signin up for a free one. Really?????!!!! THAT is what is wrong with this country. Everyone wanting free stuff and not taking responsibility for their lives. Disgusting. Next they'll be handing out gas cards. Surprised people haven't bitched that they can't go to an interview without gas so they need gas money. Just wait, I'm sure it's coming. Hope I didn't give anyone a new Freakin idea. Not good enough
That some people are getting PAID to live somewhere, free food, free money, free phones, free medication, free doctor visits, Free ER visits....they still want more.
free phones

Kennett, MO

#6 Nov 7, 2012
Just in case you aren't aware, this program was established in 1984 and expanded to cell phones in 2005 which is when Bush was in office...

“Ignorance is not Patriotism.”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#7 Nov 7, 2012
free phones wrote:
Just in case you aren't aware, this program was established in 1984 and expanded to cell phones in 2005 which is when Bush was in office...
Actually most people are not aware. They hear lies and rumors or watch right wing media stations and are severely misinformed on a lot of things.
Thanks for letting the misinformed people know they are not Obama phones after all.

Dexter, MO

#8 Nov 7, 2012
The people I know that have free cells with free minutes are all disabled, or trying to get disability so there's no way they are looking for potential employers. They use them to call their pharmacies, doctors, families, and friends. I remember several years being unable to afford a landline phone, needed one, but that was a luxury. I worked but needed to pay my essential bills, so people can live without phones if they have to.
Well

Kennett, MO

#9 Nov 8, 2012
guest wrote:
The people I know that have free cells with free minutes are all disabled, or trying to get disability so there's no way they are looking for potential employers. They use them to call their pharmacies, doctors, families, and friends. I remember several years being unable to afford a landline phone, needed one, but that was a luxury. I worked but needed to pay my essential bills, so people can live without phones if they have to.
You may live, but you may not live long if you can't call 911 for help in an emergency. It would be stupid to try to save $50 for a phone and then pay thousands in medical costs due to someone not getting the help they needed in a timely manner. And BTW these phones were offered under the Bush administration.
GreatDeal

United States

#10 Nov 8, 2012
reader

United States

#11 Nov 8, 2012
Just watched that video. Didn't surprise me one bit. I find it hard to label a person, however if u can make the effort to get free food free housing free phones...put in some effort to look for a job! Or is that to hard? It makes me nauseated to know there are able body ppl n this world doing nothing but collecting some sort of government assistance when they could be working. Hell, can't I get a break and get a discount on something for PAYING TAXES...and I mean more than filing my taxes..how about the ones of US that do work WE get a gas card so we can continue to pay for the lazy assess :)
Well

Kennett, MO

#12 Nov 8, 2012
reader wrote:
Just watched that video. Didn't surprise me one bit. I find it hard to label a person, however if u can make the effort to get free food free housing free phones...put in some effort to look for a job! Or is that to hard? It makes me nauseated to know there are able body ppl n this world doing nothing but collecting some sort of government assistance when they could be working. Hell, can't I get a break and get a discount on something for PAYING TAXES...and I mean more than filing my taxes..how about the ones of US that do work WE get a gas card so we can continue to pay for the lazy assess :)
Reader, I understand your frustration. You think there are hordes of able bodied people out there who get a lot of freebies and you wonder why you, a person who actually works for a living, doesn't get something.

First off, your reward for working is generally a higher standard of living and the opportunity to do better for yourself and your family one day. You have a future that has potential and possibilities, as well as self respect and independence. If my tax money went to give you 'freebies' when you work and clearly pay for your own stuff, I'd be aggravated. I work and I pay for my own stuff. You work, you should pay for yours. My tax money is to help people who truly can't help themselves. The disabled, the unemployable, children and the elderly.

There are some able bodied people out there collecting benefits and working the system, but the number isn't nearly as large as some would have you believe. Frankly there are just a lot of chronically ill, disabled, elderly, uneducated and unemployable people out there. Not to mention a lot of innocent children who didn't ask to be born into poverty but who suffer the most from it.

There are ways to move people toward being self sufficient but I think we all need to face reality that there will always be a segment of the population that won't be able to take care of themselves and don't have family or friends who will do so for them. There are a lot of unskilled and really low inteligent people in the world. There are a lot of mentally ill people out there who get no care and are left to their own devices. There are a lot of chronically ill people, with diabetes, morbid obesity, emphasema, blindness, heart trouble, brain damage, etc. There are a lot of irresponsible people who brought kids into this world they weren't equipped to raise. And there are people that worked all their lives and now are just old and sick and have no one to take care of them.

Frankly, I'm okay with being healthy and having a job and a family and buying my own phone and paying my own bills. I wouldn't trade places with these people no matter how many freebies they qualify for. God Bless you for working hard and taking care of your own. But remember to try to have compassion for the least of us.
Panda

Kennett, MO

#13 Nov 8, 2012
There has to be cuts made somewhere....and it
Can come from a variety of places but cut out what's not needed, including these free phones. And unfortunately there is
Much more fraud going on than most people want to see. I know a lot of people on disability or some type of welfare program and I dare to say that A LOT of it isn't needed. I know a guy that got disability because he's "not a people person." however, he can go in bars and party all night with
Lots of people, in big numbers. He also works on the side for cash. A lot of you will say that this isn't the norm....but this is the case for MOST of the people I know on welfare. My aunt is on disability but cleans 5 houses a week and does odd and end jobs here and there. Another person I know gets Xanax and sells them for large amounts o money (that she doesn't even pay for because of Medicaid). Another person does the same with hydros. I know tons of people that sell their food stamps for cash. These are almost ALL able-bodied people that just refuse to work and somehow convinced someone to give them a check. Disgusting. And before anyone says it, yes they have been turned in before....nothing was done about it.
Well

Kennett, MO

#14 Nov 8, 2012
Panda wrote:
There has to be cuts made somewhere....and it
Can come from a variety of places but cut out what's not needed, including these free phones. And unfortunately there is
Much more fraud going on than most people want to see. I know a lot of people on disability or some type of welfare program and I dare to say that A LOT of it isn't needed. I know a guy that got disability because he's "not a people person." however, he can go in bars and party all night with
Lots of people, in big numbers. He also works on the side for cash. A lot of you will say that this isn't the norm....but this is the case for MOST of the people I know on welfare. My aunt is on disability but cleans 5 houses a week and does odd and end jobs here and there. Another person I know gets Xanax and sells them for large amounts o money (that she doesn't even pay for because of Medicaid). Another person does the same with hydros. I know tons of people that sell their food stamps for cash. These are almost ALL able-bodied people that just refuse to work and somehow convinced someone to give them a check. Disgusting. And before anyone says it, yes they have been turned in before....nothing was done about it.
There are always cheats and crooks who scam the system and they make it tough on people who have genuine needs. I don't like that any more than you do. It sucks that they get away with this crap. But I don't believe all people who get disability or food stamps are evil because of the cheaters. Beleive it or not, I would like to clean up the fraud and kick the cheaters out on their asses. Nobody likes liars and cheats taking tax money. The difference is, I don't see people trying to get free cell phones and immediately think they are all a bunch of crooks. I know there are people out there who need help. All I'm sayin is there but for the grace of God, we could all be hurtin in one way or another. I'm grateful I've got a job, got good health, got a good education and had good parents and now a good family & friends. Not everybody is so blessed. I try to have compassion for others and I don't believe being poor or sick is a moral failing.

I'm 100% for cleaning up fraud and also 100% for getting help to people who truly need it.
Sunshine

United States

#15 Nov 8, 2012
I don't understand why they give out free phones if it is an emergency and u need to call 911 any cellphone will make the call even if u don't have minutes so that's no excuse to get a free phone and what about the people who get cash assistance on their food stamps and use that money to buy ciggaretts or alcohol? I think that if someone gets any type of government assistance they should have to take a drug test
Southern Democrat

Kennett, MO

#16 Nov 8, 2012
Between Bush destroying the economy and Romney closing factory's down and moving them to China. Its a surprise we are not all on free Tracfones.
reader

United States

#17 Nov 8, 2012
My comment was directed to the ones working the system. I'm very blessed and no I wouldn't trade my life with someone who truly NEEDS it. The ones abusing it is only taking away from the ones you mentioned who TRULY need it. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I didst elaborate better.
the truth

Kennett, MO

#18 Nov 8, 2012
well really we are blessed to get anything and everything free its a payback from the slavery so go obama and mitchell and their beautiful black daughters yaay
reader

United States

#19 Nov 8, 2012
Oh lord. Here we go with "the color" comments. Idc of Ur purple blue or green...if u abuse the system Ur the one taking away from ones who need it. And Lmao Obama is only HALF black. He probably has ancestors who "owned" a slave. Good lord. Let that bologna go. Isn't it 2012??
Sunshine

United States

#20 Nov 8, 2012
The truth you are just a prime example of this topic. Im sure you live in a house that I work hard to provide you and the refrigerator that is included is filled with groceries that I pay for and is running because i pay your electric bill and you are probably posting your comment from your free phone that pay for. If you want more for yourself in life here's some advice GET A JOB!!!! Thats all that us hardworking people who can support our own families ask of you. I understand people need some help but why don't you try to help yourself some? What are you going to do when this country goes even more in debt than we already are and there is no more government handouts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teen dead after swimming at country club in Ken... 58 min Tamara Paige 158
The Line in the Sand 1 hr Old Time Kennett ... 1
Lost opportunities 1 hr Old Time Kennett ... 1
God's Children by God's Promises 1 hr Old Time Kennett ... 1
Prayer for today 1 hr Old Time Kennett ... 1
Satan's Goal 1 hr Old Time Kennett ... 1
J Godsey 7 hr aPublicFigure 13

Kennett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance