10 Great ideas for new laws!!

10 Great ideas for new laws!!

Posted in the Kennett Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Parent

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Sep 17, 2007
Since we're setting a city curfew, could we also set a new city law that would require teens to:

1) Take out the trash 3 times a week
2) Study at least 3 hours a night
3) Get a summer job and earn their own spending money
4) Show their parents some respect
5) Keep their elbows off the table
6) take their hat off indoors
7) quit wearing too much makeup or t-shirts with nasty sayings
8) keep their mouth shut when they eat
9) Wash dishes when its their night
10) look at me when I'm talking to them!

I know some people will say it ought to be up to parents to do these things, but I figure if we're going to get the city to set a curfew, then why not take over the rest of my job, too?
heck yeah

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Sep 18, 2007
Great ideas people! Keep 'em comin!!!
mystery

Northfield, OH

#7 Sep 18, 2007
I agree with the cel phone thing! I hate it when I go into a place of business and the employees are on there personal cel phones talking while they wait on me! Movie Gallery employees are the worst Ive been to! SORRY A LITTLE OFF SUBJECT!
no nanny state

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2007
i agree that people need better cell phone manners. There's no reason to shout, and it'd be nice if people would choose a ring tone that doesn't make the whole room turn around.

But we don't need laws to enforce this. Just good manners. I want a smaller government, not one that is involved in every aspect of my personal life.
brown eyed girl

Columbia, MO

#10 Sep 19, 2007
I totally agree with a curfew. For those of you that are actually parents, you may not realize how many young people don't have parents that watch them or make them come home at night, etc. Everyone talks about these girls looking older and men after them, if they aren't out, they can't be chased after. Besides, all that is out in the middle of the night are cops and crooks.
FYI

United States

#11 Sep 19, 2007
I found this article in the newspaper, I guess Kennett will try to enforce a landscaping law next so that we will all be forced to water our yards...LOL

OREM, Utah (AP)-- A 70-year-old woman arrested in a dispute over her brown lawn pleaded not guilty Tuesday, then stood by as a Los Angeles lawyer waved handcuffs for the cameras outside court.

"I ask the citizens of Orem: How many of you would like to have your great-grandmother taken from her home with bruises and blood and placed in handcuffs for failing to water her lawn?" attorney Gloria Allred said.

"Let's bring sanity back to law enforcement," she said.

Betty Perry is charged with resisting arrest and failing to maintain her landscaping, both misdemeanors. She was arrested July 6 after failing to give her name to a police officer who visited her home.

During a struggle, Perry fell and injured her nose. She spent more than an hour in a holding cell before police released her.

The mayor and City Council apologized, and the police department said the situation could have been handled differently. But the city attorney still is pressing charges, and Perry is due back in court next month.

A state investigation found that Officer James Flygare acted properly in arresting Perry after trying to get her to cooperate.

Perry's water had been turned off for about nine months, at her request, although she was living at the house at the time of the arrest. Orem has a shut-off policy for people who are away for extended periods
Ignorance

United States

#12 Sep 19, 2007
brown eyed girl wrote:
I totally agree with a curfew. For those of you that are actually parents, you may not realize how many young people don't have parents that watch them or make them come home at night, etc. Everyone talks about these girls looking older and men after them, if they aren't out, they can't be chased after. Besides, all that is out in the middle of the night are cops and crooks.
The girls these days do in fact look older than they actually are, however a curfew is not going to stop these men from chasing the girl!! As a parent I have seen many of these girls putting themselves out there on the internet via web cam or just by taking photos of themselves and sending them out on their cell phones. You cannot blame the men for chasing these young girls when in fact it is the young girls who are after whatever they can get! If you stop and think about this realisticly if a kid wants to meet someone they will sneek out of the house, all they have to do is have this older person pick them up and go somewhere out of the city limits which they had planned to do anyway. More and more of these Kennett Teens are going out to the country anyway and we as parents do not know that they are going until its to late and we have to hear about from another kid or read about some kid bragging and posting the pictures on their myspace pages or whatever else they may be on. If WalMart has such an issue over kids stealing which last I heard it was an adult that was stealing purses out of the carts while backs were turned..then WalMart should close their doors at 11 pm too. Any person who chooses to go to Walmart that late at night is just asking for trouble. Parents should be taking care of their children, granted there are a few parents that I know personally that could give a rats ass as to what their kids are doing so long as they are not in there hair, but I do care what my kids are doing, I do check their rooms at night to make sure they are actually in their bed where they belong but if a kid wants to do something bad enough they will always find a way around your rules or the laws set fourth in this town. I agree with the other posts, if Kennett cannot enforce the laws that are already in place for our city, why make new ones. This town is not big enough to have a curfew in place and all that it will accomplish is getting the teens farther away from town, farther from their parents, and farther away from the police. So if you agree with this curfew and you have children do not place blame on anyone but yourself when you get that phone call in the middle of the night saying your child has been in a car accident just outside of town and the Sheriffs dept. could not get to them fast enough to save their life. If these kids were allowed to stay in town, the parents could go out and drive around to check on them just as mine did when I was a teen. Now all the parents are going to be driving the gravels searching for their kids due to unnecessary laws that our city council is trying to pass!
Tired of the whining

Kennett, MO

#13 Sep 19, 2007
informed wrote:
The city council is putting a curfew in place because of Wal Mart. Wal Mart is complaining they have kids all night long shop lifting.
Wal Mart makes Billions of Dollars a year . I say they can get their own security at night. Dont punish everyone because of Wal Mart. The Laws are in place arrest the shop lifters.
This curfew is like saying people speed so lets outlaw cars in Kennett to fix the problem.
The good kids will be good and the bad kids will be bad curfew or not!!
Yes, and dumb asses (like you) will always be dumb asses no matter how informed you are. nobody likes a cry baby.

“Minicoopergal here”

Since: Jul 07

Cameron Mo

#14 Sep 19, 2007
from what I am reading, it seem as if people think that the curfew does not apply if the kids are out in the country, if they are in town, no matter what time it is past the curfew they are in volation of that ordiance, Just because they go in the country, Are you willing to let your child stay out all night in the country and come home in the morning.
It does not matter where they go, because if they come back into town to go home and get pulled over, after the curfew,they are in fact breaking the law if this goes into effect.
brown eyed girl

Columbia, MO

#15 Sep 19, 2007
Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
The girls these days do in fact look older than they actually are, however a curfew is not going to stop these men from chasing the girl!! As a parent I have seen many of these girls putting themselves out there on the internet via web cam or just by taking photos of themselves and sending them out on their cell phones. You cannot blame the men for chasing these young girls when in fact it is the young girls who are after whatever they can get! If you stop and think about this realisticly if a kid wants to meet someone they will sneek out of the house, all they have to do is have this older person pick them up and go somewhere out of the city limits which they had planned to do anyway. More and more of these Kennett Teens are going out to the country anyway and we as parents do not know that they are going until its to late and we have to hear about from another kid or read about some kid bragging and posting the pictures on their myspace pages or whatever else they may be on. If WalMart has such an issue over kids stealing which last I heard it was an adult that was stealing purses out of the carts while backs were turned..then WalMart should close their doors at 11 pm too. Any person who chooses to go to Walmart that late at night is just asking for trouble. Parents should be taking care of their children, granted there are a few parents that I know personally that could give a rats ass as to what their kids are doing so long as they are not in there hair, but I do care what my kids are doing, I do check their rooms at night to make sure they are actually in their bed where they belong but if a kid wants to do something bad enough they will always find a way around your rules or the laws set fourth in this town. I agree with the other posts, if Kennett cannot enforce the laws that are already in place for our city, why make new ones. This town is not big enough to have a curfew in place and all that it will accomplish is getting the teens farther away from town, farther from their parents, and farther away from the police. So if you agree with this curfew and you have children do not place blame on anyone but yourself when you get that phone call in the middle of the night saying your child has been in a car accident just outside of town and the Sheriffs dept. could not get to them fast enough to save their life. If these kids were allowed to stay in town, the parents could go out and drive around to check on them just as mine did when I was a teen. Now all the parents are going to be driving the gravels searching for their kids due to unnecessary laws that our city council is trying to pass!
Well, I do have children, and I can see part of your point. But, when I was a teen, we went out to the country anyway, not because there were any curfews. I just agree with the curfew in the sense that it will help get some of the streets emptied up at night, therefore causing less property damage, thefts, etc. Yes, I am very aware that kids are going to do whatever they can to do what they want. They are being teenagers. And I am in no way blaming just the men for chasing them...I know how the girls go after them. It sounds like you are a good parent, therefore you shouldn't have to worry about your own children running into a curfew issue. I don't however, like the fact of you referring to my children and being in an accident and them not making it...how would you like it if I posted something like that about you or your children? Common courtesy, please. This is about opinions, and there is no need to bash people. I respect your opinion, and I would ask the same from you.
Thank you.
Tired of the whining

Kennett, MO

#16 Sep 19, 2007
Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
The girls these days do in fact look older than they actually are, however a curfew is not going to stop these men from chasing the girl!! As a parent I have seen many of these girls putting themselves out there on the internet via web cam or just by taking photos of themselves and sending them out on their cell phones. You cannot blame the men for chasing these young girls when in fact it is the young girls who are after whatever they can get! If you stop and think about this realisticly if a kid wants to meet someone they will sneek out of the house, all they have to do is have this older person pick them up and go somewhere out of the city limits which they had planned to do anyway. More and more of these Kennett Teens are going out to the country anyway and we as parents do not know that they are going until its to late and we have to hear about from another kid or read about some kid bragging and posting the pictures on their myspace pages or whatever else they may be on. If WalMart has such an issue over kids stealing which last I heard it was an adult that was stealing purses out of the carts while backs were turned..then WalMart should close their doors at 11 pm too. Any person who chooses to go to Walmart that late at night is just asking for trouble. Parents should be taking care of their children, granted there are a few parents that I know personally that could give a rats ass as to what their kids are doing so long as they are not in there hair, but I do care what my kids are doing, I do check their rooms at night to make sure they are actually in their bed where they belong but if a kid wants to do something bad enough they will always find a way around your rules or the laws set fourth in this town. I agree with the other posts, if Kennett cannot enforce the laws that are already in place for our city, why make new ones. This town is not big enough to have a curfew in place and all that it will accomplish is getting the teens farther away from town, farther from their parents, and farther away from the police. So if you agree with this curfew and you have children do not place blame on anyone but yourself when you get that phone call in the middle of the night saying your child has been in a car accident just outside of town and the Sheriffs dept. could not get to them fast enough to save their life. If these kids were allowed to stay in town, the parents could go out and drive around to check on them just as mine did when I was a teen. Now all the parents are going to be driving the gravels searching for their kids due to unnecessary laws that our city council is trying to pass!
Boy have you ever got the right handle... but it should of been "dumb ass ignorance" What are you smokin????
Hello

United States

#17 Sep 19, 2007
I can't figure out the fight parents are making to enable those kids - some 13, 14, 15, and 16 (the oldest a curfew would apply to) to be out after midnight. Why do you want your kids out that late. Talk about going out into the country would also apply to only after midnight. If you are worried about the country, just have them come home by that time. I do.
Tired of the whining

Kennett, MO

#18 Sep 19, 2007
Hello wrote:
I can't figure out the fight parents are making to enable those kids - some 13, 14, 15, and 16 (the oldest a curfew would apply to) to be out after midnight. Why do you want your kids out that late. Talk about going out into the country would also apply to only after midnight. If you are worried about the country, just have them come home by that time. I do.
Oh my then they would have to be a parent and not a buddy....They might actually have to tell their kid NO.....
bum

Witham, UK

#19 May 7, 2013
bum
Lol

Kennett, MO

#20 May 7, 2013
Should've been 11 laws.: No11:; Don't act like your dumbazz, welfare drawing, doped up, holier than thou, bible thumping , self righteous, over bearing, egotistical, back stabbing, lieing, cheating stealing parents and town leadership examples.Wait! If they do number 11 the first ten wouldn't be a problem since psycho leadership and parents blow shit all out of proportion to escape own guilt and shortclmings .
lexi

Litchfield, MN

#21 Sep 5, 2013
hack no
Dave

Camp Verde, AZ

#22 Sep 19, 2013
A little off topic but, here's another law that should be implemented. Mandatory Drug testing for all Public Servent's. From Presidents down to school teachers .. Anyone else agree ?
Sky

East Tulare County, CA

#23 Oct 7, 2013
i think there should be law that requires all races who want to live in the united states must first learn to talk and write in English.
studente

Bronx, NY

#24 Nov 13, 2013
well, i understand where your coming from and i know this is 6 years later but it is absolutley not up to the state or city to determine how your children behave toward you or others.
rainbow

Bridgeport, CT

#25 Feb 16, 2014
ok

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kennett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump has balls 3 hr Guest 5
Should marijuana be legalized in Missouri 3 hr Whatever 1
Casey's gas station 9 hr Not interested woman 10
Nate Nelson 11 hr who dat 5
Louise lyell (Mar '15) 14 hr Boner 19
Should Trump just come clean about Russia 15 hr obama is a tard 2
Wwe in Jonesboro Sucked! (Aug '08) Fri Sputnik Monroe 17

Kennett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kennett Mortgages